(Topic ID: 160782)

How can I remove a scratch from LCD monitor?

By merccat

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by setzkor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Greetings all!

I just got my NIB WOZ ECLE this evening and have been really enjoying it. After getting my initial games in I decided to update the software and while taking the time to closely examine things I noticed what I thought was a hair on the back glass. When I looked closer I saw that it was actually a scratch on the monitor underneath the glass. When I removed the back glass I could also tell that I was not the first to notice since with the glass off I could see there were smudgy finger prints across the scratch where I guess someone tried to rub it out with their finger. So while it's a little disappointing that the scratch was noticed at the factory and not handled there I totally understand that things happen it was probably small enough to not trigger any action. After all it's barely noticeable and had I not been staring at the screen watching the update I probably would never had noticed just playing the game.

So my question is, is there a safe way to remove a scratch from the WOZ LCD screen? I guess it really applies to any LCD screen. The scratch is small (about 1/2" long but deep enough that running a soft cloth over the area i can feel a slight ridge.

#2 7 years ago

Bring it up to the manufacturer? I could see this solution being met with mixed results and I'd probably just do something lesser like you plan to do but it would bug me and if there's no better/easier solution I'd try that. Not like they have to replace the whole game.

#3 7 years ago

What Otaku said... Or Novus #1 maybe? I'm not really serious about the Novus 1, at least not with some verified, credible opinions to second mine.

#4 7 years ago

The face of most LCDs is textured to cut down on glare, so if you polished out the scratch, you would have a shiny spot on the monitor (that would draw even more attention to it).

It will probably have to be replaced by JJP

#5 7 years ago

Dang, I was hoping I would be able to handle it myself. It's just one of those things that once you spot you get drawn to. It actually bugs me more that it bugs me if that makes any sense lol. I give them a call and ask about it but honestly it's pretty minor which Is why I was hoping I could just do something myself. Yeah, I could see how polishing could easily make things worse... which is why I wanted to ask before trying anything lol.

#6 7 years ago

Antiglare coating makes it impossible to fix in a way that will be better than what you have right now.

#7 7 years ago

the stuff you need would cost 3-4X a new monitor. for glass you need wet sanding sponges from 100 grit to 5000 grit, polishing pads from 2000-5000 grit and a bag of tinoxide to make a polishing paste and it takes hours. i think you would destroy an lcd with the pressure you have to apply to it. i have these glass showcases in my restaurants that cost upwards 5-6k each ( 2 per location , 3 locations) and little shits will carve all kinds of dirty words in them when no one is peeking so i bought all this stuff to save the 1000.00 deductible3-4 times a year.

#8 7 years ago

Not saying to do this, but if you have no choice...Novus 2 can make it look better.

I got a 32" lcd tv for $40 because it had really bad scratches in the middle. It looked like movers scraped it against a cinder block (repeatedly). I polished it with Novus 2, with light to medium pressure. Novus removed the scratches, but did leave a shiny spot. The spot is only noticeable when the TV is off. It looks great when it is running. It was a huge improvement. But this was a bad, bad, case, where the TV was a lost cause before I did anything.

Again, not saying to do this, but I'd start with a fraction of a drop of Novus 2 on a q-tip, take a small swipe over the scratch, then gently wipe off. If the scratch is still noticeable, then continue to work it until it improves, or I'm convinced I can't make it any better.

#9 7 years ago

Fortunately (or unfortunately) it's not the glass that scratched, it's the actual monitor which is more of a soft plastic with a matte finish.

When I called support they were pretty amazed that had happened and they asked for pictures which I sent over. Their initial recommendation was to give Novus 1 a try so I'm starting small with Novus 1 sprayed onto a microfiber cloth, then gently wiping the scratch area with it. I would be surprised if 1 did anything though since it is deep enough to feel when I touch it.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Fortunately (or unfortunately) it's not the glass that scratched, it's the actual monitor which is more of a soft plastic with a matte finish.
When I called support they were pretty amazed that had happened and they asked for pictures which I sent over. Their initial recommendation was to give Novus 1 a try so I'm starting small with Novus 1 sprayed onto a microfiber cloth, then gently wiping the scratch area with it. I would be surprised if 1 did anything though since it is deep enough to feel when I touch it.

It will need to be replaced, surprised support recommended novus

#11 7 years ago

Well I can report that after about 5 minutes of relatively firm polishing, Novus #1 does not seem to damage the LCD's finish. I still would not recommend it for any normal use on an LCD but if you have a light scratch it seems safe to try. It also seemed to reduce the ends of the scratch reducing it's length by probably 1/8", but the deeper area is still there.

#12 7 years ago

Well support has opted to replace the monitor. So in the end of this case yet another story of how on top of things JJP support is. My impressions from this experience and reading others is that not only are their machines top notch but so is their customer care.

Still kind of curious if it would even be possible to remove though... I think I have a junk LCD computer monitor around, may experiment with more aggressive polishes (ie Novus 2) on that.

#13 7 years ago

Good news!!

#14 7 years ago

Yikes... Novus on the front polarizer surface of an LCD is not going to do anything good. At best you will remove the anti glare coating on that area leaving a shiny spot as Vid mentions. If you go deeper hitting the TAC you could damage the polarizer itself causing new artifacts, color etc. One option is to laminate the full surface of the display with a new film (think mylar). The adhesive should wet out the scratch and then the whole surface will be the same "texture"... Likely glossy. Think screen protector for cell phone but more of a pain in the ass.

The best and only realistic option is full replacement as you are getting. Or of course trying to ignore the scratch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 5.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
$ 24.50
$ 91.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-i-remove-a-scratch-from-lcd-monitor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.