(Topic ID: 257049)

How can I prepare the machine for easy nudging (not the tilt)

By Prodoshi

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Darkwing
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6223CDA5-AB57-472C-9D4C-35E02BF1065C (resized).jpeg
b (resized).jpg
a (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Hello,

since I am a very sensitive person and easily develope all kind of pain when practicing my hobbies,
I have to fine tune my machine, if I want to continue. My Triceps tendons and arms hurts from nudging
and I think its more from side nudges and slide saves but I am not exactly sure.
I have a light touch on the machine and do not lean on it. My weight is centered on my feet- ready to nudge.
I tried to play without nudging, but this makes no sence. I feel like 50% of the game is nudging, and watching
all those balls draining just because of 3 missing millimeters is frustrating.

That being said, I played a stern ac/dc on location which was very light and wabbly, so i wonder if this could help
my problem, since it could reduce the needed amount of force?

My home game is a Stern GB and I would buy a Stern JP too, if I could get my pain under control.
I tried to loosen the lower bolt-screws on the legs a little bit and extended the feet levelers, to increase the leverage for nudging.
A tight tilt bob helps me to learn the required amount of force. Can i get more wabblyness without damaging the machine?

I love to hear any opinion or experience you made regarding my problem, even if you think its trivial- maybe I could benefit from it.
My pain also seems to have a psychological component, since I fear to lose my beloved hobby.

#2 5 months ago

Don't take this wrong, but from what you are saying I think you could do yourself well by some workouts...even if light weights..get some muscles my friend. Unless you are 85 years old or have a medical issue playing a few games every so often shouldn't be that much pain. The wrist takes the biggest beating IMO from flipper play and if you have some type of carpal tunnel going on, that can be a pain...just space out your game play. good luck.

I would keep those leg bolts tight btw

#3 5 months ago

What about those furniture or carpet sliders under the leg levelers?

#4 5 months ago

Also, try putting some felt between the legs and cabinet. I used some old plastic cabinet protectors as stencils to create the proper sized felt cabinet protectors. You may want to use two under each leg, but I would not recommend leaving the bolts loose.

#5 5 months ago

thanks!
I thought about your answers. I wasnt able to do workout sessions because I also developed pain from it,
so its no wonder pinball does the same. I will try to build it up slowly. I am not sure whats wrong with my
body since the doctors do not find anything... I am also a small person 5″6, so I will need even more force.
I have carpal tunnel, but weight lifter gloves solved that issue. Right now the machine is on a wooden floor
with carpet sliders, but I have to move it on a carpet floor, so I will try the DIY felt cabint spacers and tighten
those bolts.

#6 5 months ago

Keep in mind that you dont have to nudge to have fun or even to have a good game. Does it help to nudge? Of course it does but you can still have fun and be a good player if you dont, maybe not Keith Elwin good but you can still be good..

The key is to make precision shots so the ball isnt flying wildly all around the playfield. If you hit what you aim for the ball will stay under control more. The one thing that I always tell people is pinball is still fun even if you suck at it. In other words it's a great game for all skill levels. Good luck to you.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Keep in mind that you dont have to nudge to have fun or even to have a good game. Does it help to nudge? Of course it does but you can still have fun and be a good player if you dont, maybe not Keith Elwin good but you can still be good..
The key is to make precision shots so the ball isnt flying wildly all around the playfield. If you hit what you aim for the ball will stay under control more. The one thing that I always tell people is pinball is still fun even if you suck at it. In other words it's a great game for all skill levels. Good luck to you.

thank you, today i played some games and tried to nudge with my thighs or hip and it did work to some degree,
but only for forward nudges.maybe i can try some more and create a playstyle which works for me. Before I
completely pass on nudging I will try any other option I can think of. Just play one game without nudging and
you know what im talking about. Thanks for the input, I will think about this!

#8 5 months ago

I "nudge" my pins with the palms of my hand!! I remove the tilt-bob because its for pins in the wild to keep crazy ass-h...s from breaking your pin!! If you using your hips and all that,maybe your body moves are hurting you!! Good luck,have fun!!

2 weeks later
#9 5 months ago

Hey there, i just wanted to show you how i overcame my issue for now.
I ground a foam roller into a nudging shape and wraped it up with a tera band for grip.
It's very tight and does no harm to the cabinet.
Side to Side Nudging, Death- and Slide Saves are easy doable with my thigh and i have no more pain.
Let me know if you have any question.
b (resized).jpga (resized).jpg

#10 5 months ago

I have seen people slightly loosen the front leg bolts of a cabinet. If you do this make sure you have a cabinet protector between the leg and cabinet. Also, a jam nut on the back is a must as you don’t want the leg falling off.

But a loose leg will give you very easy nudge control of a pin.

I don’t like the machibe like this, but have seen others set up this way

#11 5 months ago

Prodoshi, that's an awesome solution.

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from athens95:

I have seen people slightly loosen the front leg bolts of a cabinet. If you do this make sure you have a cabinet protector between the leg and cabinet. Also, a jam nut on the back is a must as you don’t want the leg falling off.
I don’t like the machibe like this, but have seen others set up this way

I would not reccomend this at all. That couldn't be good for the cabinet at all.

#13 5 months ago
Quoted from athens95:

Many have posted before, the leg bolts should be hand tight only, and that gives the pin a bit of wobble. That is how all 7 of my pins are set, so I can nudge without too much strain.

You can tighten/loosen the front leg bolts while testing to tune how much wiggle you get. Location pins with years of heavy use get cabinet wear around the legs, but don't worry about it in a home environment. Enjoy your pin! (you can get the metal cabinet protectors that go behind the leg if you are nervous)

#14 5 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Many have posted before, the leg bolts should be hand tight only, and that gives the pin a bit of wobble. That is how all 7 of my pins are set, so I can nudge without too much strain.
You can tighten/loosen the front leg bolts while testing to tune how much wiggle you get. Location pins with years of heavy use get cabinet wear around the legs, but don't worry about it in a home environment. Enjoy your pin! (you can get the metal cabinet protectors that go behind the leg if you are nervous)

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to use the leg bolts to adjust “wiggle” for nudging. Installing felt protectors should basically accomplish the same thing without creating risk of cabinet or decal damage. If the leg is too loose it can quickly damage the decals even with metal protectors installed.

#15 5 months ago
Quoted from Prodoshi:

I ground a foam roller into a nudging shape and wraped it up with a tera band for grip.
Side to Side Nudging, Death- and Slide Saves are easy doable with my thigh and i have no more pain.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I understand finding an inventive way to nudge but you lost me with death saves. If you can death save then why is basic nudging an issue?

#16 5 months ago

Are those rubber feet on your game?? Use the metal cups with carpet on the bottom. You can slide your game around with one hand with those.

#17 5 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I understand finding an inventive way to nudge but you lost me with death saves. If you can death save then why is basic nudging an issue?

i can do death saves with my thighs now, not with my arms. I hope i understood your question right.
Thats why the self made nudging bar has its form. I can shake the game from left to right if I position my front leg between the gap.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are those rubber feet on your game?? Use the metal cups with carpet on the bottom. You can slide your game around with one hand with those.

Rubber feet with carpet on the bottom. I know it makes no sense, I was too lazy to remove the rubber feet before attaching the carpet.

#18 5 months ago

I’d switch to feet made to be on wood. It should be as easy as scooting a small table around the room. Seriously.

#19 5 months ago
Quoted from Prodoshi:

So I'm curious, would something like this attachment be allowed in a tournament? Could someone bring their own and use it for the games they are competing on?

#20 5 months ago

I think it would be similar to sticking a lamp on the game. If it’s not bothering others, I’m fine with with. Nudging the game like this will tilt them out constantly though, so not sure it would do them any good.

#21 5 months ago

for portable use i could make a sticky rubber material kneepad pulled up to the thigh, which i tested already.
This way i dont have to attach anything on others machines. Its not so comfortable and may look stupit but
can work to some degree.

chuckwurt
thanks for paying attention on the feet. What kind of feet do you mean, do you have a link for me?

I didnt notice a difference in getting more tilts with the nudge bar. I'm still working on the required force,
but this was also the case with my hands. I only get 1 danger at a death save most of the time (tilt set
easy/medium with 1 second timer). I can imagine that those hard, sharp nudges are not doable, but thats
something I never did or know how to do, and of course the side hits on the cabinet.

#22 5 months ago

Try 4 leg dollies under the game

6223CDA5-AB57-472C-9D4C-35E02BF1065C (resized).jpeg
#23 5 months ago

I can’t remember what size I got 2 or 2.5” but just measure the leg levelers.

Shepherd Hardware 9091 2-Inch Carpet Base Furniture Cups, 4-Pack amazon.com link »

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Try 4 leg dollies under the game[quoted image]

thanks chuckwurt

#25 5 months ago
Quoted from Prodoshi:

Brilliant solution, love what you came up with there. Remember it’s your game and having fun with it is all that matters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 49.95
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside