• Latest reply 2 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211222_070201 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I just wasted an hour leveling and re-leveling my new Godzilla, and after much frustration discovered that the two levels I was using did not match up. After this, I pulled out my pinball leveling app on my phone and discovered that it too was off from my levels. I went to Lowes and picked up a new level but discovered that all the levels they sold were slightly off from one another. I ended up buying the brand with the least deviation between levels, and got the average of the levels there. I trust the app on my phone, but would not trust it until I was able to calibrate it against something perfectly level. How can I find something perfectly level if I can't trust my tools? I have to relevel my machines everytime I move them because my basement floor is off a bit near the wall. Ideally I would like the Rick Sanchez solution.

20211222_070201 (resized).jpg20211222_070201 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

If your spirit level is adjustable all you need to do is get it to read the same "off" when you spin it on the same spot of the test surface. If it's not adjustable and it doesn't read the same when spinning, then it just became a straight edge.

#3 2 years ago

It's hard to tell in that picture, is that level laying on its side? Or it's back?

If a level is slightly off, in theory all you would have to do is take a reading and turn the level 180 degrees and take a second reading. The bubble will be off to the left in one reading and to the right and another. The true spot will be right in the middle.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

If your spirit level is adjustable all you need to do is get it to read the same "off" when you spin it on the same spot of the test surface. If it's not adjustable and it doesn't read the same when spinning, then it just became a straight edge.

I'll have to try this.

Quoted from John_I:

It's hard to tell in that picture, is that level laying on its side? Or it's back?
If a level is slightly off, in theory all you would have to do is take a reading and turn the level 180 degrees and take a second reading. The bubble will be off to the left in one reading and to the right and another. The true spot will be right in the middle.

Good point... will try this as well...

Thanks!

The plan is to find something perfectly level, calibrate my phone on it, then use it to do my pins and then check with a known good bubble level.

#5 2 years ago

Just level the game by feel. If it’s leaning one way or the other, adjust it until the game plays to your liking. Always worked well for me. I’ll have tournament players note that they think it’s leaning a touch one way or the other, then I’ll adjust based off their feedback too. I’ve found even a completely level game doesn’t always play to my liking.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just level the game by feel.

OP you've owned like 30+ machines, you have to know when they feel right by now

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just level the game by feel. If it’s leaning one way or the other, adjust it until the game plays to your liking. Always worked well for me. I’ll have tournament players note that they think it’s leaning a touch one way or the other, then I’ll adjust based off their feedback too. I’ve found even a completely level game doesn’t always play to my liking.

I've done this before but usually on a game I've had for a while. However, I'll try the old roll the ball on a piece of paper with a straight line down the middle and observe method.

Quoted from TheLaw:

OP you've owned like 30+ machines, you have to know when they feel right by now

I do... and that is why it is so frustrating when it's not level.

I bought a new level to work with but was hoping for a way to know if it was right or not. Was hoping for a repeatable solution since I have to relevel them all when I switch out games and move things.

Thanks all!

#8 2 years ago

I always suggest more or less bourbon re: adjusting your level.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

How can I find something perfectly level if I can't trust my tools?

Here is the definitive way to calibrate different levels.
Start with a round bubble level. Round because it makes no difference which way it's oriented.
Place that level on a calibration surface that you will be making flat. Something large enough that you can fit your other levels next to the bubble level.
Now shim the calibration surface until the round bubble level shows as perfect as you want it. This is now your reference.
Next put your other level on the surface. Either calibrate it by telling it the surface is 0.0 degrees or mark it so you know where 0.0 is on the scale.

A local machine shop will have flat surfaces and probably will be happy to check your levels. Calibration services are also available but way overkill for what you're doing.

#10 2 years ago

I've done this before but usually on a game I've had for a while. However, I'll try the old roll the ball on a piece of paper with a straight line down the middle and observe method.

Still over thinking it. Just play it. If the ball is rolling weird, adjust and play again.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I always suggest more or less bourbon re: adjusting your level.

Will try the bourbon route starting with, "more".

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Start with a round bubble level. Round because it makes no difference which way it's oriented.
Place that level on a calibration surface that you will be making flat. Something large enough that you can fit your other levels next to the bubble level.
Now shim the calibration surface until the round bubble level shows as perfect as you want it. This is now your reference.
Next put your other level on the surface. Either calibrate it by telling it the surface is 0.0 degrees or mark it so you know where 0.0 is on the scale.
A local machine shop will have flat surfaces and probably will be happy to check your levels. Calibration services are also available but way overkill for what you're doing.

This is exactly what I was looking for... thanks!

#12 2 years ago

I've done this before but usually on a game I've had for a while. However, I'll try the old roll the ball on a piece of paper with a straight line down the middle and observe method...

Thing is, despite you having the most accurate level in the multiverse to work with, playfields themselves are never flat. I have accepted this reality and try to find the best average 'levelness' for a title that I can but ultimately how the game shoots says a lot and ultimately that ends up being the greatest determiner of fine-tuning.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Thing is, despite you having the most accurate level in the multiverse to work with, playfields themselves are never flat. I have accepted this reality and try to find the best average 'levelness' for a title that I can but ultimately how the game shoots says a lot and ultimately that ends up being the greatest determiner of fine-tuning.

Boom.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

I usually do something like this:

Rear leg levelers pretty much all the way out, front leg levelers pretty much all the way in. Use a leveling app and put my phone on the playfield. Once it seems to be at about the right angle, then I'll take a ball, place it in the center of the playfield as far back to the rear as I can get it, then let it drain SDTM. If it doesn't go SDTM, I'll adjust as necessary. Then I'll play a game to make sure all the targets and ramps can be successfully reached.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

This is the way. Done with kids books and shim paper. Leveled Godzilla after doing this and it was perfect. Got my GC score... only 600 million but we are working on it!

Thanks!

#16 2 years ago

One thing I’ve learned with my Godzilla, which is super sensitive to levelling, is that every part of the playfield needs to be level. Usually I would level my games at the flippers and maybe mid playfield, but GZ needs to be level up to the building. And my basement pitches hard, so the measurements at the flippers and the building were totally different. Sounds like you have yours dialed in at this point, but just wanted to chime in for any other GZ owners who might pop in.

#17 2 years ago

How can I find something perfectly level if I can't trust my tools?

[quoted image]

Lay your backglass on a table and place a pinball in the middle of the glass.
Shim the sides with playing cards or whatever until the ball doesn’t move.

Once you got it balanced calibrate your phone on the glass.

If you really want to find true level do the same thing with a small puddle of water on a surface. However this will only make you lose all faith in torpedo levels. Rick Sanchez effect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy
Toys/Add-ons
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 300.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilmington, NC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods
Plastics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.50
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-i-calibrate-my-level and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.