2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mtdouble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hi,

I recently ordered a new machine. The delivery is late. When the box will be delivered, how can I check that the machine is really NIB and has not spent some time in the showroom of the distributor, then re-boxed ?

thanks for you answers

#2 2 years ago

Scratches and dings/marks on the cabinet, ball trails on the playfield, carbon dust in the assemblies or playfield. Basically, any signs of mild wear from having been played a few hundred or thousand times

#3 2 years ago

Just believe hard enough and dont worry

Sidenote; when I got my NIB straight from the shipping dock so to speak, the machine had some papers inside it on the pf also there was some parts that were strip ties (?) from well walker and some other stuff.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
    I recently ordered a new machine. The delivery is late. When the box will be delivered, how can I check that the machine is really NIB and has not spent some time in the showroom of the distributor, then re-boxed ?
    thanks for you answers

First of all I'd tell the people you're buying off of your concerns. I highly doubt that they would repack a pinball machine back up and put it in a box. If you see dimples on the playfield that would also be a sure giveaway that the game has been played. I don't think that's gonna happen, I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 2 years ago

look at it this way. it will no longer be NIB a few minutes after getting it into you house anyway. what's a few extra plays matter in the long run?

#6 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate, the distributor is a famous part reseller and the sold items are not always as announced. Because things are unclear regarding the delivery date, I anticipate. Maybe I am to nervous about that, you are right.

To answer pezpunk post: hum, If you purchase a car as new and it has 1000 miles on the counter when you received it .... Theoretically you are right, but in that case I should be advised and get a rebate.

Glad to see all these comments, thanks again

#7 2 years ago

Never say never. I have a friend that was sent a used MMR LE NIB. It clearly was used and he ended up getting his money back and sending it back. It was so bad you could see ball trails on the ramps.

#8 2 years ago

If it's Aerosmith, I learned it just arrived in Belgium (just saw an hour ago a friend of mine is also at a distributor to pick his up) so it can only be brand new.. there won't be any possibility that the game has sat at the dealer as it was not in the country before, the container just arrived.

If it's Carl you buy from, then he probably has a few other boxed NIB games in his truck when he's delivering to you, he doesn't even has time to unpack them, he just loads and visits all his buyers to drop off the machines..

Further when you unpack you will notice that some assemblies on the playfield usually are locked with zipties and have a paper note specifying you to remove them before playing.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

If it's Aerosmith, I learned it just arrived in Belgium (just saw an hour ago a friend of mine is also at a distributor to pick his up) so it can only be brand new.. there won't be any possibility that the game has sat at the dealer as it was not in the country before, the container just arrived.
    If it's Carl you buy from, then he probably has a few other boxed NIB games in his truck when he's delivering to you, he doesn't even has time to unpack them, he just loads and visits all his buyers to drop off the machines..
    Further when you unpack you will notice that some assemblies on the playfield usually are locked with zipties and have a paper note specifying you to remove them before playing.

Hi thanks. No Carl is a top guy, I purchased from him twice, always a good service !!!

#10 2 years ago

IIRC Some machines will have a plastic strap around the entire cabinet lengthwise. This can't be out back on once it is cut off.

If it's been removed you should see evidence of it in the corner protectors.

#11 2 years ago

Games do get reboxed and sold as new, even today. Not necessarily intended to deceive buyers.

Some are factory samples converted, showroom examples, "crib death" machines, or simply mistakes.

One of the easier ways to tell if a game has been played is line trails on the metal lane guides, not just the ramps. It takes less than "200 plays" to cause this effect.
    Factory game testing will not produce this effect unless it was a recycled playfield from a problematic machine.

Check the cabinet corners, clamp marks mean the game has been set up.

Check the coin door, the bezels, slots, and mechs should be unused. Coin mechs should present unless manufacturers "cheaped out". Yes, even operators sell games as "new".

Check for missing documentation, "goodie bags", and other manufacturer standards. Know where they are supposed to be inside the game.

Crosscheck boardsets for their S/N.

There are many more.

Here is the real question.
    What price are you paying for your "NIB experience"?

Equitable or not?
    I will not get into price speculation on this thread.

#12 2 years ago

I always look for this.

download (resized).png

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
    thanks for you answers

If its a Stern they use a Clear Green strap around the head. If thats there you should be good to go.. If its a different color or not there then its been unboxed and warrants further inspection as mentioned above..

#14 2 years ago

Happy to see my question is not that stupid. I appreciate your feedbacks. cause 9500 bucks is not something I can dedicate every month or even year for a pin.

#15 2 years ago

It's virtually impossible to remove the box staples and reinsert them without mangling them and the box, right?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

It's virtually impossible to remove the box staples and reinsert them without mangling them and the box, right?

Yes

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

look at it this way. it will no longer be NIB a few minutes after getting it into you house anyway. what's a few extra plays matter in the long run?

What? Really? You would be fine with this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 89.99
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside