(Topic ID: 200095)

How big of a blow to Soccer in the US is missing the World Cup?

By InfiniteLives

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Missing the next World Cup will...”

• ...not matter to the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 17 votes
      14%
    • ...kill the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 9 votes
      7%
    • ...marginally affect the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 26 votes
      21%
    • Soccer sucks and always will suck 69 votes
      57%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc vs rg (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You know there's two types of people. Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

Wow...gonna start using that one; great work.

Not making it isn't a big issue because soccer isn't a big issue. Haven't they won like 3 matches in the last 3-4 world cups or something? Like watching the bengals.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

It sucks I'm not a soccer fan but I hate it for my friends that are, sad truth is that as long as kids growing up here see all the money, girls and attention going to football and basketball players the exceptional athletes will continue to ignore soccer.

Don;t worry, Football wont exsist in a couple years and there's only like 8 great bball players in the world so someones gotta start playing soccer. Uff...soccer & baseball are gonna end up being huge; not looking forward to that borefest.

Quoted from Gov:

Doesn't mean it isn't exciting for those of us that care...

Well obviously and I'm sad that all 50 of you have to go wanting for the next 4 years

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For some reason, lesbians feel that flying rainbow colored flags are a must at all of their games....What would happen if someone waved a Nazi flag at a soccer game? There would be an issue there.

Annnd shithead post of the day goes to...

EDIT: Week?

#44 6 years ago

How is that shithead post? It’s true. Why wave rainbow flags at a soccer match? It’s not team colors or logos. Not necessary.

You're comparing Lesbians to fucking Nazis you idiot

#53 6 years ago

It’s a political flag. I couldn’t think of another flag to bring up.
    I am not homophonic. You people are brainwashed. Just because one doesn’t agree with you, you label them something?

I can label you an idiot if you think comparing any flag to a Nazi flag is no big deal. If you understand that is the definition of a comparison, you are not that bright, needing more education, AKA an idiot.
    You're literally doing what you claim other people are doing by assuming people with rainbow flags are lesbians.

Back to actual Soccer talk..

Real smoooth

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Over the past decade+ through world cups and other big soccer events, people have learned this and are gravitating more to the sport.

Quoted from 85vett:

The last World Cup match for the US was 27 million US viewers alone. That is more than the total number of viewers for the last 2 MNF games COMBINED.

The issue isn't that no one is watching it, it's that it's just an event watching. It comes around and you watch it and then people forget aboot it.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

most Americans don't like soccer cause unlike football, you cannot cram 60 minutes of playtime into 3 1/2 hours of advertising.

The simple fact is that there isn't enough scoring for 'Mericans to like it. Long sports without scoring don't really do well. Which is why hockey is so low rated and MLB is juicing their balls.

Ok. What does a rainbow flag represent in your world?

Gay pride & equality. if you picked one up, parish the thought, would that make you a lesbian or a gay man?

I can tell you're not really grasping this too well.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

So your argument is that soccer is now on 3 separate channels (1-local, 2 requiring cable) on Saturday alone for anywhere from 3-6 games is because nobody is watching it? I would have to believe that the programmers are seeing otherwise thus the increase from almost never on to regularly broadcasting.
    Heck, looking at this weekend I see KXAN is broadcasting the Watford vs Arsenal game at 11:30am CST. Kind of prime time coverage considering that is prime College football time slots. This alone, proves to me most of what is stated in this thread is people trying to ignore the validity of a sport they just don't like.

Well first off, this isn't an argument. I'm just stating my feeling why I think Soccer isn't that popular and issue with it becoming a huge sport.
    I've never noticed Soccer on a Saturday on channels and that might be part of the issue, or it's possible it flies by me because I'm not interested in it (and watching other sports). I would have a slight issue with you assuming that putting something on TV against powerhouse ratings of 10 college football games is because they think it's killing ratings. Maybe it is, but those 2 things aren't really connected. Does KXAN have sports? Do they show football on Saturdays?
    Whether I like it or not isn;t the big deal here. True I would notice it less, but it doesn;t stop the fact I don;t like basketball, like NHL, hate baseball...the rating are what they are. NHL is a 7th class sport for god sakes.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

But what most people dont understand is there's more scoring opportunities going on in the average soccer game than there is in the average football game.

Once these people realize this and experience it,...

Well I have to disagree with you there; completely. The size of a the fields alone, and the ability of a human foot to kick a ball just make it not true. From the first kick of NFL game someone can run 100 yards to score the length of the entire field. Every, single, play that can happen.
    You cannot do that in soccer.

I don't doubt all the enjoyment of it. I literally just covered a soccer game the other week, I know the sport and how it works. Some people LOVE A good hard fought defensive football game....6-3 wow what defense! Those are super fans...average people are not entertained by it.

EDIT: Which is why indoor soccer is much more fun to watch. Long Live the Detroit Rockers!

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Tons of people play FIFA online, its probably as big if not bigger than Madden

FIFA was big when i was in college in 94 even.

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

The people in here who are saying they love Hockey, there are tons of parallels between the two sports.

Confusing off sides rules for new watchers

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aeolus7:

It's hard to believe we are...

What's hard to believe is people constantly bringing up soccer 8s the most important sport in the world like its late breaking news. Even knows this, it doesn't matter in America. We all know all kids play soccer, everyone I know played soccer for for at least 4 years in grade school, doesn't matter now and doesn't make us want to watch soccer.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I guess I'm not surprised, Action sports are much more exciting than break for commercial every 5 minutes.

It's really more aboot population centers and shear numbers.
    Speaking of sports that are way too goddamn long and have a lot of downtime....Obviously no no cares aboot football outside of 'Merica, just like no one gives a shit aboot Cricket outside of British colonies...but hey that includes India & Pakistan so there are your numbers.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I mean, when the majority of people tune into the biggest championship game of American history (super bowl) for the commercials, and not the game itself; that pretty much sums up the excitement factor of the NFL.

Ha, there you go again. Everyone watches the superbowl because of the spectacle & the commercials of course. Just liek everyone watches gymnastics in the Olympics and never any other time. I don't really know how this is supposed to show since the weekly games are the highest rated programs; but oh well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-of-a-blow-to-soccer-in-the-us-is-missing-the-world-cup?tu=TheLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.