(Topic ID: 200095)

How big of a blow to Soccer in the US is missing the World Cup?

By InfiniteLives

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Missing the next World Cup will...”

• ...not matter to the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 17 votes
      14%
    • ...kill the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 9 votes
      7%
    • ...marginally affect the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 26 votes
      21%
    • Soccer sucks and always will suck 69 votes
      57%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc vs rg (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

Nope !!. ESPN keeps pushing soccer....It has no chance ever being big like the other major sports.

You better qualify that with "in the US". Soccer is huge worldwide and believe it or not it is growing in popularity in the US. The NFL is a joke and just go look at a baseball stadium outside of the playoffs, they are half empty at best for 80% of the teams out there. You really think that a TV provider is "pushing" something that doesn't get ratings? No ratings = no $$$. What is being pushed, if you want to call it that, is the premier league over the MLS.

This is a blow for US soccer as it takes one of the goals out of the eyes of the kids playing the sport not to mention the financial implications for missing out on the biggest tournament in the sport.

Really sad to see.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

It sucks I'm not a soccer fan but I hate it for my friends that are, sad truth is that as long as kids growing up here see all the money, girls and attention going to football and basketball players the exceptional athletes will continue to ignore soccer.

You do realize that the high paid players in the world are soccer players, right? Most of which are players that are playing in leagues they were not born in. Do believe me, go look at what PSG just paid for Neymar or look at Ronaldo and Messi's salaries.

The most ironic thing I see in this thread is a bunch of pinball players trying to talk down about another sport.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

It's literally not even covered in the news. I wasn't aware we hadn't made it to the World Cup until I saw this post.
    Even if we were to win the whole thing, I think it would have a lower viewing rate than the worst of any of our professional sports, and maybe 10% of the population would even be aware...

Oh, good lord.... If ya'll are going to make comments at least educate yourself first.

The last World Cup match for the US was 27 million US viewers alone. That is more than the total number of viewers for the last 2 MNF games COMBINED.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The issue isn't that no one is watching it, it's that it's just an event watching. It comes around and you watch it and then people forget aboot it.

The simple fact is that there isn't enough scoring for 'Mericans to like it. Long sports without scoring don't really do well. Which is why hockey is so low rated and MLB is juicing their balls.

So your argument is that soccer is now on 3 separate channels (1-local, 2 requiring cable) on Saturday alone for anywhere from 3-6 games is because nobody is watching it? I would have to believe that the programmers are seeing otherwise thus the increase from almost never on to regularly broadcasting.

Heck, looking at this weekend I see KXAN is broadcasting the Watford vs Arsenal game at 11:30am CST. Kind of prime time coverage considering that is prime College football time slots. This alone, proves to me most of what is stated in this thread is people trying to ignore the validity of a sport they just don't like.

#93 6 years ago

I don't get it... what is so complicated about the offside rule in soccer and hockey.

Soccer - You can't be behind the second to last defender when the ball is passed to you.

Hockey - The offensive player can't be passed the line prior to the puck.

What's complicated about the above?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-of-a-blow-to-soccer-in-the-us-is-missing-the-world-cup?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.