(Topic ID: 200095)

How big of a blow to Soccer in the US is missing the World Cup?

By InfiniteLives

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Missing the next World Cup will...”

• ...not matter to the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 17 votes
      14%
    • ...kill the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 9 votes
      7%
    • ...marginally affect the popularity and growth of soccer in the US 26 votes
      21%
    • Soccer sucks and always will suck 69 votes
      57%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc vs rg (resized).png
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

So the US Men's National Team failed to qualify for the next World Cup in 2018.

Will this kill the momentum Soccer has had in the main stream in the US?

Does it matter?

Do you hate soccer?

Was re-hiring Bruce Arena super dumb?

#2 6 years ago

Women’s soccer players should be paid more than men

#3 6 years ago

Literally nobody I know cares about this.

Doesn't mean nobody will, but it's just not on the radar. All the soccer fans I know couldn't care less about the U.S. team and are more into teams from where either they or their ancestors were born.

#4 6 years ago

Do people care about soccer in the US? I never have and never will so it doesn't change my view. All I need is hockey and I'm good.

#5 6 years ago

Americans don't really care about international sports. I'm a huge rugby fan and watching US games is just sad.

#6 6 years ago

Prices on WCS94 will tank

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Prices on WCS94 will tank

True, and Zidware's WCS '18 might be dead in the water.

#8 6 years ago

I think it will help the program because in about 3 years when qualifying for the 2022 World Cup begins, the USA will have been much less hesitant to discard veteran players that have been playing with low energy or aggressiveness. Also, the changeout needs to start from the top meaning the US Soccer chief Sunil Gulati needs to go.

The US youth soccer teams have been doing well recently. The US U-20 team did well in their World Cup, and presently the U-17 team has advanced to the elimination rounds. One thing that does need some change is MLS needs to play American players more.

#9 6 years ago

Almost nobody gives a shit...
    Soccer cannot be forced down the throat of the USA...neither can the WNBA, no matter how much people try...

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Almost nobody gives a shit...
    Soccer cannot be forced down the throat of the USA...neither can the WNBA, no matter how much people try...

I think you miss the point of the WNBA. It's an extremely cheap night out for families and a great thing for parents to do with their daughters and lesbians to do on dates. I wasn't aware it was being forced down anybody's throat haven't seen an ad for it for ages.

#11 6 years ago

Short answer ,No .
    US soccer fans will continue to support and go to games as usual.
    But the majority don't care.
    The men don't deserve to be in the World Cup, period .

#12 6 years ago

Most in the USA won't notice until June and wonder when the USA plays. That is when it will hurt. Soccer has been gaining momentum, whether you individually care or not. But it's boosted every 4 years when more & more Americans jump on board the fun of the World Cup.

Disclaimer: I love soccer & am as into it as much as everyone here is into pinball. I want to say how catastrophic it is that the USA didn't qualify, but I can't. This country has too many other very good options. It will be a different way for me to watch the World Cup, with the USA not being involved. But life will certainly go on.

And hopefully prices on WCS94 tank and I'll happily grab a very nice one.

#13 6 years ago

Nope !!. ESPN keeps pushing soccer....It has no chance ever being big like the other major sports.

#14 6 years ago

It is a big blow for those of us that care, yes. In the long run, probably a good thing for the team as we have a lot of young talent and it is good for them to feel this sting early to motivate them.

Soccer keeps growing and growing in the US, like it or not, but this will impact that a bit.

#15 6 years ago

Yes it definitely set back soccer. I heard fox had a 450 million dollar deal that went down the tubes when they got bumped out of the world cup. The world cup is fun to watch when no other sport is on and you need something to do while having lunch out at the bar. ( I would rather watch it than basketball).

#16 6 years ago

Back in early eighties, the soccer league created arena soccer. Being a budding soccer star, I enjoyed watching and playing the game. The marketing campaign to bring in fans was ... Soccer is a kick in the grass. The league probably lasted five
    years before being absorbed. What was appealing about this variation is that the action was much quicker. You had a shorter field and were allowed to play the ball off the sideline walls which eliminated many out of bounds ball delays. I don't miss it and am content watching one or two regular matches a year. Some potential league slogans are below.

!7 days without soccer makes one weak.
    A bad place to be is between me and the ball.
    A kick in the Grass.
    Actions speak louder than coaches.
    Alive and kickin’.
    Be sure to vote for your favorite.
    Bekham who?
    Best in the Field.
    Bustin’ ours to kick yours.
    Can’t should never be in an athletes vocabulary.
    Don’t go through life without goals.
    Eat, Sleep, Play Soccer.
    Everyone should have a goal to conquer. I believe I’ll conquer yours.
    For the love of the Game.
    Heading to the top.
    If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.
    If winning isn’t everything, why do they keep score?
    If you don’t got guts don’t play the game.
    If you’re not playing with all your heart, someone else is, and when you meet her, she’ll win.
    It takes balls to play soccer.
    It’s what you do before the season starts that makes you a champion.
    Let The Feet Do The Talking.
    Lets kick some balls!
    Life’s a soccer ball. Can you kick it?
    Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.
    Never let good enough, Be enough!
    No Pain No Gain.
    Our Blood, Our sweat, Your Tears!
    Our goal is stopping yours.
    Out Hustle, Out Work, Out Think, Out Play.
    Play Hard, Get Dirty, Have Fun.
    soccer isn’t JUST a game anymore, It’s a lifestyle.
    Soccer players have one goal.
    Soccer, it’s in my blood.
    Some dream about goals…we make em!
    Sweat makes the green grass grow.
    Talk with your feet. Play with your heart.
    There is no glory in practice, but without practice, there is no glory…
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
    We do it for the Kicks.
    We kick it where it counts.
    We know how to score.
    We play the field until we score.
    You know you are truly dedicated to something when you lie about being hurt so no one will make you stop.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

Nope !!. ESPN keeps pushing soccer....It has no chance ever being big like the other major sports.

You better qualify that with "in the US". Soccer is huge worldwide and believe it or not it is growing in popularity in the US. The NFL is a joke and just go look at a baseball stadium outside of the playoffs, they are half empty at best for 80% of the teams out there. You really think that a TV provider is "pushing" something that doesn't get ratings? No ratings = no $$$. What is being pushed, if you want to call it that, is the premier league over the MLS.

This is a blow for US soccer as it takes one of the goals out of the eyes of the kids playing the sport not to mention the financial implications for missing out on the biggest tournament in the sport.

Really sad to see.

#18 6 years ago

#19 6 years ago

I think it's bad news for Arena and Gulati. The program will go on and will get better. Lots of rising talent on both the men's and women's teams.

Rather watch any soccer match versus any other US sport / telecast. Bundesliga all the way...

#20 6 years ago

What is soccer?

#21 6 years ago

Not super concerned about soccer, but to be fair I don't care about most sports. Not sure the world will miss us.

While I don't normally take part in the hard core trolling on this site, this cracked me up. The offended comments are some funny reading. Normal trigger warnings apply

#22 6 years ago

Cool. Soccer sucks.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Cool. Soccer sucks.

Baseball can be the same way to watch at times because they play too many games. But I'd still rather watch a baseball game. The appeal of both is an excuse for mass drunkenness.

I'm a true alcoholic and only drink alone, unlike these pro sports losers that need an excuse to drink themselves to death.

#24 6 years ago

What's soccer?

#25 6 years ago

And yet you soccer haters are here in a soccer thread.

#26 6 years ago

Zero - Soccer is too wimpy of a game to appeal to American machismo. Bunch of lady sized men kicking a ball around.

#27 6 years ago

When the conversion of the US to the Metric system is complete, only then will we truly be able to calculate how much Soccer Sucks!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

When the conversion of the US to the Metric system is complete, only then will we truly be able to calculate how much Soccer Sucks!

You know there's two types of people. Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

#29 6 years ago

never cared about soccer

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Americans don't really care about international sports. I'm a huge rugby fan and watching US games is just sad.

sc vs rg (resized).pngsc vs rg (resized).png

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You know there's two types of people. Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

Wow...gonna start using that one; great work.

Not making it isn't a big issue because soccer isn't a big issue. Haven't they won like 3 matches in the last 3-4 world cups or something? Like watching the bengals.

#32 6 years ago

It sucks I'm not a soccer fan but I hate it for my friends that are, sad truth is that as long as kids growing up here see all the money, girls and attention going to football and basketball players the exceptional athletes will continue to ignore soccer.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not making it isn't a big issue because soccer isn't a big issue. Haven't they won like 3 matches in the last 3-4 world cups or something? Like watching the bengals.

Doesn't mean it isn't exciting for those of us that care... This is still one of the most memorable moments I have ever had watching sports.

And that includes game 6 of the 2011 World Series

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

It sucks I'm not a soccer fan but I hate it for my friends that are, sad truth is that as long as kids growing up here see all the money, girls and attention going to football and basketball players the exceptional athletes will continue to ignore soccer.

Don;t worry, Football wont exsist in a couple years and there's only like 8 great bball players in the world so someones gotta start playing soccer. Uff...soccer & baseball are gonna end up being huge; not looking forward to that borefest.

Quoted from Gov:

Doesn't mean it isn't exciting for those of us that care...

Well obviously and I'm sad that all 50 of you have to go wanting for the next 4 years

#35 6 years ago

Soccer is a huge youth sport in the U.S. Just not big at the pro level, who cares. My kids' games didn't get cancelled because of this "tragic" event.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah, but not making the World Cup out of their weak-ass division (CONCADFLKDJFKLSJD, I believe it's now called) is still a serious black eye. It's like playing in the NFC East, mediocrity is generally sufficient to secure a playoff spot.

Funny you should bring up the Bengals, though, I know Marvin Lewis has a job for life in Cincinnati but if they should ever let him go, his approach to the first round of the playoffs might be well-received on Team USA.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well obviously and I'm sad that all 50 of you have to go wanting for the next 4 years

Adorable.

#38 6 years ago

How anyone can watch soccer is beyond me. WTF are those people in the stands constantly cheering for??

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

How anyone can watch soccer is beyond me. WTF are those people in the stands constantly cheering for??

A lot of people used to be that way. It isn't for everybody, nothing is, but I used to HATE soccer and had the same sentiment as many of the people in this thread. I thought it was dumb and pointless. Had a friend that was into it and back when HD was a new thing, soccer was about the only thing that was in HD. Dumb reason to watch, I know, but it got me watching it a bit. Started to learn the rules and found a team to follow in England. Got sucked in and have enjoyed it ever since. Sure the diving and rolling around is dumb, but I just ignore that part. MLS attendance has skyrocketed the last 5-10 years and if you happen to live in a city that has as good following, it is worth it to go to a game just to experience the atmosphere. I am lucky enough to live close to KC so I can go and watch Sporting every year. Such a good time and the atmosphere is nuts. Such a contrast to NFL or MLB (which I also enjoy).

#40 6 years ago

I enjoy Soccer. But here are some things that annoy me about going to a game:

1) drums. These should be outlawed. Very annoying. If the crowd can’t make enough noise, then so be it.

2) Womens soccer league. For some reason, lesbians feel that flying rainbow colored flags are a must at all of their games. Why make it about your issues? No one cares anymore. If you are gay, the so be it. Do what you want. But waving rainbow flags at a universal sporting event just isn’t right. Wave your teams flag...that’s what should be waved. What would happen if someone waved a Nazi flag at a soccer game? There would be an issue there.

Drums and Rainbow flags have no place at a soccer match

#41 6 years ago

For some reason, lesbians feel that flying rainbow colored flags are a must at all of their games....What would happen if someone waved a Nazi flag at a soccer game? There would be an issue there.

Annnd shithead post of the day goes to...

EDIT: Week?

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Annnd shithead post of the day goes to...

EDIT: Week?

How is that shithead post? It’s true. Why wave rainbow flags at a soccer match? It’s not team colors or logos. Not necessary.

#43 6 years ago

I enjoy Soccer. But here are some things that annoy me about going to a game:
    1) drums. These should be outlawed. Very annoying. If the crowd can’t make enough noise, then so be it.
    2) Womens soccer league. For some reason, lesbians feel that flying rainbow colored flags are a must at all of their games. Why make it about your issues? No one cares anymore. If you are gay, the so be it. Do what you want. But waving rainbow flags at a universal sporting event just isn’t right. Wave your teams flag...that’s what should be waved. What would happen if someone waved a Nazi flag at a soccer game? There would be an issue there.
    Drums and Rainbow flags have no place at a soccer match

LOL

so really, all of the lesbians are keeping you away from the Women's Soccer League games you'd be going to otherwise?

How is that shithead post? It’s true. Why wave rainbow flags at a soccer match? It’s not team colors or logos. Not necessary.

Why bring up a bunch of homophobic bullshit for absolutely no reason and make the unbelievably stupid comparison of rainbow flags to swatstikas? Not necessary.

#44 6 years ago

You're comparing Lesbians to fucking Nazis you idiot

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You're comparing Lesbians to fucking Nazis you idiot

Only pinside goes from soccer to lesbians to Nazis so fast

#46 6 years ago

It's nuts to me how some seemingly innocuous threads bring out the idiots en masse. Like...you never see it coming!

Oh, a thread called "My Wife is throwing a tupperware party," I think I'll click on it and see what...

YIKES!!!

#47 6 years ago

It’s a political flag. I couldn’t think of another flag to bring up.

I am not homophonic. You people are brainwashed. Just because one doesn’t agree with you, you label them something?

Briniging political issues into sporting events will not have positive outcomes. Watch the long term effects for the NFL.

All I am saying is that an army of rainbow flags being waved at a woman’s soccer match, they are not being waved to support one team or another, but are being waved to support a social agenda. And that is not right.

#48 6 years ago

It's literally not even covered in the news. I wasn't aware we hadn't made it to the World Cup until I saw this post.

Even if we were to win the whole thing, I think it would have a lower viewing rate than the worst of any of our professional sports, and maybe 10% of the population would even be aware...

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

You do realize that the high paid players in the world are soccer players, right? Most of which are players that are playing in leagues they were not born in. Do believe me, go look at what PSG just paid for Neymar or look at Ronaldo and Messi's salaries.

The most ironic thing I see in this thread is a bunch of pinball players trying to talk down about another sport.

#50 6 years ago

Back to actual Soccer talk..

Quite possibly the next best soccer player in the world is an American. Christian Pulisic. He currently plays in the German league with Dortmund. Unfortunately, there’s not enough around him to see him on the world stage next year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Pulisic

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-of-a-blow-to-soccer-in-the-us-is-missing-the-world-cup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.