(Topic ID: 245976)

How big is too big for a dmd + how to guide

By Evilelement

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8071 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8035 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8033 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8032 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8020 (resized).jpeg
    16pinsplitter (resized).jpg
    Dualledpanel (resized).jpg
    LargeLEDMount (resized).jpg
    20190727_175728 (resized).jpg
    VideoCapture_20190727-184505 (resized).jpg
    20190727_180658 (resized).jpg
    20190727_174745 (resized).jpg
    20190727_180232 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190627_204353255 (resized).jpg
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Did it as a joke , but I'm liking it now

IMG_20190625_170911408 (resized).jpgIMG_20190625_170911408 (resized).jpgIMG_20190625_170913075 (resized).jpgIMG_20190625_170913075 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Does that larger DMD affect the speakers much? Looks great...

#4 4 years ago

There behind and they have small holes between LEDs , actually doesn't effect it much

#5 4 years ago

Perfect size!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Did it as a joke , but I'm liking it now

No joke here, wife and I would like to know how it was done...if you're sharing.
    -Mike

#7 4 years ago

I'll post a how to video , it's 438$ in parts to do it

#8 4 years ago

At first I thought this was just a photoshopped mock up! This is BEYOND awesome!

#9 4 years ago

Looks badass to me. MET’s got some of the best dots ever, the bigger the better.

#10 4 years ago

Well done!

#11 4 years ago

Following closely...

#12 4 years ago

Wow! Nice!

#14 4 years ago

Cool! Only drawback is it's a bit too pixelated at that resolution. If it were in higher res like CGC style, I'd prefer this to the current Stern LCDs and translite, which I'm not a fan of: the relative geometries result in a weird aesthetic and the charm of DMD graphics and animation is gone.

#15 4 years ago

If I was Stern, I would copy this idea. It's brilliant! Relocate the speakers and away you go. It's great!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

it's 438$ in parts to do it

Damn, that's a lot to spend for a joke but that's cool as hell and really well done. I think you may have started something with this! I'm looking forward to the video!

#17 4 years ago

Very impressive!!

#18 4 years ago

Friend is stopping out Saturday to hold the camera while I explain the how to

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Friend is stopping out Saturday to hold the camera while I explain the how to

Looking forward to seeing this!

#20 4 years ago

You should explain how to do it over here on my Metallica

#21 4 years ago

When your buddy comes by shoot widescreen, not vertical.

#22 4 years ago

For those of you that don’t know this. There is a company that makes extra large LED DMDs. Google it and you will find it. locksmith had one in a Stern Transformer he had for sale once.

#23 4 years ago

I did as topper also years ago , wait for the video your have a laugh on how cheap and easy it is
    In some cases it will be less than 40$ to do the mod

#24 4 years ago

Will you post how you actually constructed that large DMD ?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

I did as topper also years ago , wait for the video your have a laugh on how cheap and easy it is
    In some cases it will be less than 40$ to do the mod

That is pretty cool. Very bright...

#26 4 years ago

Actually filming how-to now , drop tonight or tommorrow

#27 4 years ago

Part that's got me confused is the colors. That's not the colored rom from Colordmd or Pin2dmd. It cost about 110.00 to build a standard size pin2dmd from scratch.

#28 4 years ago

#29 4 years ago

Is this infringing on Colordmd copyrights? If your using their product and modifying it for a different purpose is it legal?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Is this infringing on Colordmd copyrights? If your using their product and modifying it for a different purpose is it legal?

It is in the US, at least! He is still buying the colorDMD

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

How would adding a bigger led panel be against Copyright? When you mod a pin is it infringing on copyrights? Where do people come up with this stuff?

#32 4 years ago

Close bro , will the video my voice was next to mute so here we go with a picture tutorial

So this one is for the metal panel Metallica,GOT , TWD , or ST
    I have the wood walkthru but that will be another day , I have a t3 I'll walk you thru

Your need a few things , colordmd led version only or pin2dmd , honestly because of the colordmd option menu this option works best

Your need to order 2 other items
    2 of these panels
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sZgdqss
    ( If link is bad let me know doing this on my phone )
    And one of these
    US $3.30 | 50pcs/lot M3 Cylinder magnet for Indoor Full-color LED display module
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bxU9u2xq

With the colordmd we want to remove the cable I have pointed at ,
    Next run the cable thru the speaker , loosen the speaker , place a a few washers between speaker and wires so you dont crush them.
    , Next screw the magnets to the led panels , they have 6 screws each . then connect the panels together with the data wire , follow the arrows on the panel and do them exactly as shown, next connect the data cable from the color dmd and the 5v power wires to the panel
    Next Magnet the panels to the metal ( and they are strong magnets ) and finish
    I turned the brightness to half on mine
    GL guys ,
    Oh and the data cables and power cables come with the panel purchase
    I'm not responsible for damages , have to add a disclaimer here
    IMG_20190627_204021671 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_204021671 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_204332969 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_204332969 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190627_204353255 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_204353255 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190627_191603600 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_191603600 (resized).jpg
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Close bro , will the video my voice was next to mute so here we go with a picture tutorial
    So this one is for the metal panel Metallica,GOT , TWD , or ST
    I have the wood walkthru but that will be another day , I have a t3 I'll walk you thru
    Your need a few things , colordmd led version only or pin2dmd , honestly because of the colordmd option menu this option works best
    Your need to order 2 other items
    2 of these panels
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sZgdqss
    ( If link is bad let me know doing this on my phone )
    And one of these
    US $2.69 | (10PCS) M3 H:6-12 mm magnetic screw for led light, Magnet kits for lamp fitting.for led ceiling light pcb plate fix on walls
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cHPPcul2
    With the colordmd we want to remove the cable I have pointed at ,
    Next run the cable thru the speaker , loosen the speaker , place a a few washers between speaker and wires so you dont crush them.
    , Next screw the magnets to the led panels , they have 6 screws each . then connect the panels together with the data wire , follow the arrows on the panel and do them exactly as shown, next connect the data cable from the color dmd and the 5v power wires to the panel
    Next Magnet the panels to the metal ( and they are strong magnets ) and finish
    I turned the brightness to half on mine
    GL guys
    Oh and the data cables and power cables come with people panel purchase
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Seems fairly straight forward...though a pic of all the hookups together would have been nice. So ColorDMD cable goes to the right most connection on the back of the add-on panels, the next connection on the back of the add-on panels is the power connection....I'm guessing it is just 2 wires on the end that does not plug in the panel? Where did you hook it into the game to get your +5v? Then the next ribbon cable connection goes from one panel to the next and the left most panel has the power connector and left ribbon cable connection open? Does that sound right?

I would say this is a stoopid cheap mod if you already have a ColorDMD LED in your game. I think If I had a few games that had the metal panel with the LED ColorDMDs I would try to find some sort of ribbon cable splitter to put on them with a longer ribbon cable and an elegant way to get the ribbon cable and power connection out of the game....that is easy and can't be noticed if not being used and make one of these big panels to move from game to game.

Great work there and thanks for sharing the hookup guide. If I had a friend with an LED ColorDMD in their game I might go ahead and order the parts to try it (most of my ColorDMD friends have the LCD models). Anyway....hats off!

#34 4 years ago

Yeah I should note , the color dmd comes with a 5 and 12v connector , I'll show some pics on how to tap it to supply 5v to the panel, the panels on the colordmd led version are the same exact as these panels except size , the arrows are also on there panels , even the power connector is the same . The panels they use are 2.5p in size if anyone ever needs to replace them

#35 4 years ago

10 screws , don't do the bottom middle

IMG_20190627_191609350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190627_191609350 (resized).jpg
    #36 4 years ago

So the round flat magnet parts....have threaded posts coming out of them that screw into the back of the add-on panels?

I think you might have linked the wrong magnet things.....

#37 4 years ago

Correct

#38 4 years ago

Your link was for magnets with a female threaded hole and not a post coming out of it.

#39 4 years ago

Very nice work!

Solid rainbow puke entry as well

#40 4 years ago

Oops thats for the wood one , tomorrows build , k replaced links on both threads

#41 4 years ago

This is great! Nice work.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Oops thats for the wood one , tomorrows build , k replaced links on both threads

I look forward to the wood panel build....I will hold off until then to see what it needs.
    Could anyone post a link to a ribbon cable splitter for this purpose and would that even be OK to use? I'm just thinking of ways a person could make this mod easier to hook up and unhook and finding a way to not have to disconnect and reconnect that ribbon cable on the ColorDMD would make one less hassle.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I look forward to the wood panel build....I will hold off until then to see what it needs.
    Could anyone post a link to a ribbon cable splitter for this purpose and would that even be OK to use? I'm just thinking of ways a person could make this mod easier to hook up and unhook and finding a way to not have to disconnect and reconnect that ribbon cable on the ColorDMD would make one less hassle.

#44 4 years ago

Each panel comes with a data cable , so your have 2 , u just disconnect the cable from color dmd that I pointed at , just pull it from one end , don't take it out . Use the other data cable that came with the second panel , so If u wanna disconnect the big u just swap back the other connector and tuck away the 5v if u split it the signal will have feedback

#45 4 years ago

I'll do my best to take a video of the wood one , use a off camera mic this time

#46 4 years ago

Can this be done with the standard dmd? Non color?

#47 4 years ago

Would be cool to see on 90’s Ballys/Williams pins.

#48 4 years ago

Ordered! Thanks!

#49 4 years ago

Can't wait to see your other mounting solutions. I actually ordered 6 of the panels and hope to need more.
    Thanks again!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Evilelement:

Each panel comes with a data cable , so your have 2 , u just disconnect the cable from color dmd that I pointed at , just pull it from one end , don't take it out . Use the other data cable that came with the second panel , so If u wanna disconnect the big u just swap back the other connector and tuck away the 5v if u split it the signal will have feedback

Well I was wondering if you could unhook that ribbon cable from the ColorDMD and then run it into a ribbon cable splitter (if such a thing exists)....then one ribbon cable would come out of the splitter and go back to where it was plugged into the ColorDMD and the other ribbon cable could be for the add-on panels. This would eliminate having to disconnect and reconnect the ribbon cable to the ColorDMD each time you decided to use or not use the big panels on that game. That would leave the ColorDMD working all of the time and if you wanted to use the bigger panels you could just pull the unconnected ribbon cable coming from the splitter I was asking about and plug it in the add-on panel.....and as you said, I'm sure splitting or getting another +5v for the add-on panels wouldn't be much of an issue.

So basically what I am thinking is the game would work just as normal, but laying in it's back box at all times would be thye end of the ribbon cable ready to plug into the add-on panels and also the +5v to power the add-on panels. If that could be done and there be an easy and not ugly way to get the ribbon and power cables easily out of the backbox....this would be a low hassle, quick swap from game to game (with metal speaker panels and LED ColorDMDs).

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-is-too-big-for-a-dmd-?hl=toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.