Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by royce6135
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinq.jpg
    DSCN1659.jpg
    images-1.jpeg
    DSCN1655.jpg
    image.jpg
    Xena_and_Nico.jpg
    big_woman_on_little_man.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rando.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

I am in my mid 40’s and have never to this day been over anyone else’s house that had a real pinball machine. I have been to one person’s house that had an arcade machine, and that was about 30 years ago.

If a new release of a machine is successful at somewhere between 5-10K units (or les for WOZ?), this is a tiny tiny hobby.

#14 10 years ago

Depends on what your definition of "big" is.

Quoted from heckheck:

It's a bigger hobby than you might guess. It would be interesting to know how many machines are still in circulation. I bet it's well in excess of 100K units.

Some population stats for comparison:

Top 10 Most Populous Countries
    Rank. Country Population Rank. Country. Population NaN
    1. China 1,349,585,838 6. Pakistan 193,238,868
    2. India 1,220,800,359 7. Nigeria 174,507,539
    3. United States 316,668,567 8. Bangladesh 163,654,860
    4. Indonesia 251,160,124 9. Russia 142,500,482
    5. Brazil 201,009,622 10. Japan 127,253,075

Ford sold 83,000 Mustangs last year, that's .03% (I think? My math is awful) of the US pop buying a Mustang last year.

Ford made their 1,000,000th Mustang in April of 2013. If say 50% of those were still running/owned, that would be .16% of the US population if each person owned one.

I imagine that the number of Mustang owners is higher than Pinball owners. Although .1% of the entire US population is pretty big as a size, it's still pretty rare that you're going to come across another one in the wild.

Right?

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from rmancini:

but Mustangs are not a "hobby" they are modes of transportation. If we are talking about "hobbies" it's seems fairly large and growing daily.

I disagree with that statement, which is why I chose a Mustang over something like an Accord. Some of the newer owners are just car drivers yes, but I would consider any Mustang still around with a production year of 64.5 through say... 2005ish to be owned by a car enthusiest, that likely owns another vehicle as their primary transportation, and I would classify as a Hobbiest. And Mustang owners don't define that Hobby, they share the hobby with owners of old Camaros, Chargers, 'Cudas, and many other old cars that don't start with C. Including myself, I know 6 or 7 people "into" cars enough to own a rare/unique one.

I'm not bashing Pinball as a hobby, it's awesome, I'm just saying that it's a really tiny one. Ranking it among other Hobbies based strictly on size, I'm guessing we're below Car clubs, motorcycling, coin collecting, etc. Maybe on par with people who fly small planes? That may even be too big, I personally know 4 people off the top of my head who do that... Just a guess.

Now I do know a bunch of people who would LIKE a pinball machine, but none enough to actually actually pull the trigger on one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rando.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-is-this-hobby-anyway?tu=rando and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.