Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by royce6135
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinq.jpg
    DSCN1659.jpg
    images-1.jpeg
    DSCN1655.jpg
    image.jpg
    Xena_and_Nico.jpg
    big_woman_on_little_man.gif
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

Lets count...i'll start

#54 10 years ago

How big is this hobby, anyway?

Quoted from jonnyo:

It would be pretty hard to figure out.

We need the government to add a new question before the next census is taken:
    "How many pinball machines do you have in your household?"

#56 10 years ago

my neighbor .....3

#57 10 years ago

i'm sure there are lots out there that have pinball machines, but are not pinheads or collectors. I think for collectors, there are probably around 15000 of us that are registered as avid collectors on various sites. Just from tournament listings, and other pinball news groups. That would be my guess. Maybe less as some play a tournament and just happened to be at a show for a reason or another.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

The "How Many Pinheads..." thread got me to wondering how large a tribe we are. Does anyone have an informed idea how many people (in the U.S. and also elsewhere) own at least one pinball machine and, more important, how many actively collect pinball machines? And on what basis would you make that determination?

I'm going with: Bigger than most people think, Smaller than most Pinsiders think.

#59 10 years ago

There's 5 or 6 people into pinball worldwide, maybe more!

#60 10 years ago

As Big As Tex-- oops

pinq.jpgpinq.jpg

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

There's 5 or 6 people into pinball worldwide.

That's about right, give or take.

For all those of you who took algebra in school, the correct answer is "x", where x is an unknown variable.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

I am not a number. I am a free man!

You are number six. Who is number one?

#63 10 years ago

Ever regret starting a thread?!

#64 10 years ago

There aren't enough owners for this hobby to support multiple new manufacturers, but there are far too many owners for any of us to get a cheap, top name pin in great shape.
    Isn't that really what's most important?

#65 10 years ago

there are actually only 12 pinball owners in the world. this website is just part of some giant pinball-illuminati conspiracy.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm going to take an estimated guess of.........
    ONE MILLION PINBALL OWNERS

This probably isn't that far off. I bet there a lot of people out there that own a machine or two that really aren't into pinball. The division VP of the bank I used to work for had a couple of pinball machines in the gameroom at his 3-story million dollar house on the lake (he had a big party there to show it off to all of us). I doubt he could keep the ball in play more than 30 seconds on them but he owned a couple. I'm sure there's a lot of rich people like that out there.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

I would say that more than half of all pinball owners are people that don't want to be. A hand me down EM pinball that their uncle left them, or their father had sitting in their basement/garage/spare room etc.. 9 out of 10 people that I have run into that had a pinball in their house fit in this category but the others nearly always own multiple machines, 5+

I know many players who don't go to pinside. Don't know why. This an amazing place.

I want to find my games from the people who don't want be owners - Jackpot!

#68 10 years ago

It would not be impossible to make an educated guess.

1. Compile a list of major titles from 1936-Present
    2. Find production numbers for as many of these as possible. Where not available, make an educated estimate
    3. Estimate the percentage of units still in service, giving higher percentage to newer machines

This would at least provide a ballpark figure of the overall pinball population in the world. From there it would be a little tougher to estimate the percentage of those machines owned by private individuals at home.

It would take some homework, but it's not impossible to make a good guess.

#69 10 years ago

Ok, so here's just one example, just think about how many different pins are out there.

"The Addams Family is the best selling pinball machine since the 1930s, having sold 20,270 units."

That's just 1 pin !!

Just scroll through IPDB and you'll find hundreds of pins produced before you realize
    your fingers are numb, you can't see straight, and you've gotten no where near the end of the list.

Answer to the OP question= Big, VERY BIG!!

#70 10 years ago

T2 produced over 10k units, firepower had 17,410, 3,450 of Attack from mars, 6800 genie, 4,028 of scared stiff,
    space shuttle had 7,000. 7,008 of white water, 4k of doctor dude, 3128 of Arabian nights.

so just there is 50k, there is quite a few still around

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-is-this-hobby-anyway/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.