(Topic ID: 151727)

Do you need big balls when playing baseball games?

By SteveinTexas

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by novaguy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1758_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2478_-_Copy_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I was trolling/searching on RGP for some information and a Clay response and statement I thought might be interesting to some of our baseball game owners.

FYI, The last Williams baseball game with a metal bat with the black rubber sleeve was the 1959 Pinch Hitter. The first Williams game with a plastic bat was 1960 Official Baseball Deluxe.

Clay pointed this out in 2006 and it makes so much sense;
    I gotta check my balls now.

"Pinch Hitter should have a metal bat.
    The reason is simple - it's the last williams EM
    pitch and bat that uses 7/8" balls. Starting with
    Official baseball in 1960, Williams changed to
    the smaller 3/4" ball. With this change they also
    used the plastic nylon bat.

If you use 7/8" balls in the pinch hitter with
    a plastic bat, you'll destroy the bat. it just can't
    handle the weight and size of the 7/8" balls."

#2 8 years ago

Good info to post Steve...I had come across that info as well awhile back so use the 3/4 on my plastic bat game and 7/8 on metal/rubber bat game. Also Marco has the 3/4 ball listed as a Slugfest part, so makes sense with the plastic bat on Slugfest.

I also noticed Marco had some more slugfest bats in stock lasr weekend in case anyone needs some.

#3 8 years ago

I have 7/8" in my World Series and think I got 2 more similar size sets from PBR for the two 63 ML games being restored ...scared to look in the box.

I also broke some bats last year...figures.

What do they say 'experience is somthing you get just after you need it'.

#4 8 years ago

Steve,

I had 7/8 in my ML when I first got it up and running then switched to 3/4 when I ran across this info. I then noticed the 3/4 balls can go between the targets not giving you the hit or out....I didn't remember seeing that with the 7/8 balls, but didn't go back to them to verify....small stash of original white/brown bats.

Speaking of bats I like to switch between the longer slugfest bat and the original white/brown colored one every few months. The difference in weight and size of the two seems to throw me off a bit.

#5 8 years ago

Ah - the 'ol balls humor!

Thanks (to you and Clay) for passing this info on. I'll have to check my '59 Pinch Hitter and my '62 World Series games now. Up til now I had assumed that they used the same sized balls as they are so similar.

#6 8 years ago

Just ordered some 7/8th balls for a United Bonus Baseball I'm restoring. 1962

#7 8 years ago

I actually own both these games. I restored the Official Baseball last year and brought it down to Pinfest in Allentown for free play.

I hope to do the same with Pinch Hitter soon.

Good info!
    I'll have to verify the size of my balls

2 months later
    #8 7 years ago

I followed Clay's advice and got the smaller 3/4" balls and added to my two recent 1963 Major League restore projects. Results were not so good. This game had the first target unit and was used in some variation on all EM Williams games through 1973.

Problem is the targets don't always go down if the shoot is not perfectly struck (happens a lot) and can get momentarily stuck between two targets. The 7/8" big balls however works much better. The pitching unit on the 63 Major league was the last year of the E-5613 version that was designed for the 'big' balls. The year after the pitching unit was changed to a D-6322 unit and I have zero experience with and will not comment except dimension wise it seems to to be adequate for a big ball.

My advice is to have a few Slugfest bats spare (robust bat) and use the 7/8" big balls on all games with plastic bats through 1963 Major League games for sure. I believe the new games should work just fine also but have not tried it, possibly others can comment

#9 7 years ago

I repaired a 57 Deluxe Baseball for a guy a couple of years ago.he claimed to have owned the game for about 40 years and his son,who's in his 30's,said he remembered it as a kid.he told me it hadn't ran in about 20 years.not that I knew any different at the time but the game had a plastic bat on it and the balls which were old and rusty were 13/16.fast forward a month after receiving the game to fix I picked up a 57 Deluxe Baseball for myself and the bat on it was wooden and also had 13/16 balls.

IMG_2478_-_Copy_(resized).JPGIMG_2478_-_Copy_(resized).JPG

IMG_1758_(resized).JPGIMG_1758_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from novaguy:

I repaired a 57 Deluxe Baseball for a guy a couple of years ago.he claimed to have owned the game for about 40 years and his son,who's in his 30's,said he remembered it as a kid.he told me it hadn't ran in about 20 years.not that I knew any different at the time but the game had a plastic bat on it...

These games had there parts interchanged to keep them running. It is rare to find a game from the 50's and 60's that have all original parts as they were so popular. The game originally had a 5161-1 batting unit and had a metal bat. To this point I made a set of charts so we could figure out the correct parts to fix the games. See link
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-baseball-game-motor-coils-and-bat-assembly-information#post-2926843

Your point is well taken that they work fine using 'big' balls and can last a long time with plastic bats. A wooden bat sounds interesting have you a picture?.

The plastic bats do break occasionally so have spares when we use our big balls on these games.

#11 7 years ago

Ya the wooden bat is in the first pic that I posted.also note the PF graphics around the bases.the game in the first pic had the big button for batting where the game in the second pic had the bat.

Ted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-big-are-your-balls-when-playing-baseball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.