(Topic ID: 14597)

How best to loosen a stripped screw?

By Squeakman

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 12 years ago

Vice grips are best, or regular pliers.

#3 12 years ago

use a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut a new slot into the screw then just turn it out.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

use a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut a new slot into the screw then just turn it out.

Wow, that's a really good idea, I hope I remember that next time this happens to me!

#5 12 years ago

Yep, that's what I do; works great.

Robert

#6 12 years ago

There are some screw extractors that Craftsman\Sears sells that will bite into the head of the screw and back it out by hand tool or drill in reverse.

#7 12 years ago

Or you can use the screwdriver like a chisel, hit the end with a hammer and create the slot that way.

#8 12 years ago

Knowing my luck, the screwdriver would slip, and I would create a slot in the playfield instead.

#9 12 years ago

I just remembered another easy solution. Get a left twist drill bit and drill it out like you are going to use an extractor like jag mentions. Most of the time the drill will grab and turn the screw out. Most bits tighten when you drill. Left twist are not everywhere but they can be found.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-best-to-loosen-a-stripped-screw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.