(Topic ID: 195317)

How best to clean an EM ball trough

By zh2oson

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I just purchased a Sky-Line and am loving it! The playfield and backglass are in great shape, but I notice my eye being drawn to the ball trough. It taunts me.

Since the ball trough is visible while playing the game, it seems to me that spiffing it up a bit might look nice. Right now it is just a dull, darkened eyesore. I'm not interested in buying a new one unless there are no other options, so I'd like to clean it. However, since the balls come into contact with it, I don't want to use any sort of cleaning chemical that will damage the system, balls, table, environment, etc.

Thanks in advance! This is my first machine and I'm a noob.

#2 6 years ago

If it's just normal metal You need to regrain it...which just means sandpapering it.
    If it's shiny chrome only use Novus 2 on it...although in a ball return area it should be fine for sandpaper.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If it's shiny chrome only use Novus 2 on it

Would you not suggest using a metal/chrome polish? I've used Mother's Mag Polish and Brasso with very good results. I usually try to stay away from abrasives as much as I can.

As for the small paper decal that goes in the trough, Pinball Resource sells them on this page here: http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html

They're only $2 each. Ordering one would also be a good way of establishing an account with them.

#4 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/regraining-metal

Here are some other thoughts as well.

Quoted from mbaumle:

Would you not suggest using a metal/chrome polish? I've used Mother's Mag Polish and Brasso with very good results. I usually try to stay away from abrasives as much as I can.

Hey if they work and you got'em that's cool too. I'm personally drawn to using abrasives, might be my personality?
    I've never actually done a trough...usually it's ball guides and for me some quick sandpaper id just as well.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If it's just normal metal You need to regrain it...which just means sandpapering it.
    If it's shiny chrome only use Novus 2 on it...although in a ball return area it should be fine for sandpaper.

I have some on order, so I'll give it a try!

Quoted from mbaumle:

As for the small paper decal that goes in the trough, Pinball Resource sells them on this page here: http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html

I had no idea there was a piece of paper, so I'm off to order one ASAP!! Thanks!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

I had no idea there was a piece of paper, so I'm off to order one ASAP!! Thanks!

No problem. Just be forewarned, the pinball resource does an old fashioned way of business. You have to establish an account with them, order a small parts order (first one is less than $10, I think), he ships you the goods, then you send a check in the mail with the remit copy of the invoice that's sent in the package. It's a little awkward at first, but he's a treasure in the pinball industry, especially if you're into Gottlieb games. His parts and services are invaluable, and his prices are often the best out there. There's plenty of threads here you can search for if you need more assistance ordering from him.

#7 6 years ago

Eagle One Nevr-Dull is a great metal cleaner/polish.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

No problem. Just be forewarned, the pinball resource does an old fashioned way of business. You have to establish an account with them, order a small parts order (first one is less than $10, I think)

Yup. Spent 10 minutes trying to decipher his shipping rules and regulations. Amazon Prime, it isn't! Still, I'm going to call tomorrow and get verified. His approach is befitting of a service for something manufactured in the 1960's. I like it! Maybe I'll see if he has a manual in stock too.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Yup. Spent 10 minutes trying to decipher his shipping rules and regulations. Amazon Prime, it isn't! Still, I'm going to call tomorrow and get verified. His approach is befitting of a service for something manufactured in the 1960's. I like it! Maybe I'll see if he has a manual in stock too.

Gottlieb games of that vintage will have a schematic, which he will have, but no manual. They didn't start manuals until the 70s

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

His approach is befitting of a service for something manufactured in the 1960's. I like it!

It certainly grows on you! Once your one game collection grows, and you make larger orders with him, he gives you a 10% discount on $100 or more. Just enough to cover shipping, and a little bit of tax. You can't beat it. Just make sure you include the part numbers in your email order (or phone call order). The part numbers are always listed along with the product on the website. It's an awkward process, but they're damn fast, so it obviously works well for them. Good luck!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Gottlieb games of that vintage will have a schematic, which he will have, but no manual. They didn't start manuals until the 70s

Gotcha. I'll ask for that!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Just make sure you include the part numbers in your email order (or phone call order). The part numbers are always listed along with the product on the website. It's an awkward process, but they're damn fast, so it obviously works well for them. Good luck!

I'm nervous. This feels like a Soup-Nazi situation.

#13 6 years ago

Ordered!

http://www.pbresource.com/signatur/gtb-a4281.jpg

Also, Steve couldn't have been nicer! He even had some great suggestions on how to work on removing the paint that the prior owner slathered over the cabinet. Thanks to everyone for your help!

#14 6 years ago

That's great to hear! I haven't called but emailed all my old orders. Steve and jimmy have helped me out and know so much about gottliebs it's great!
    I actually like writing a check to them. Keeps it old school

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

That's great to hear! I haven't called but emailed all my old orders. Steve and jimmy have helped me out and know so much about gottliebs it's great!
    I actually like writing a check to them. Keeps it old school

Calling was great. I'm glad I was encouraged to shop with Steve!

#16 6 years ago

They are a very good company to deal with. Here in England, its not quite as simple to order spares from suppliers though now PBR accept an on-line payment system, its now very easy to do. Before, I had to send cash through the mail system which of course is highly risky though I never lost any money!

Anyway, let's be grateful for such firms helping keep the hobby alive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-best-to-clean-an-em-ball-trough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.