New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 52809)

How badly did I damage my getaway supercharger? Help!

By Willy39

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Willy39
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-06-07_13.26.18.jpg

#1 7 years ago

So I was working on getting my beacon working and i made a big bonehead move. I was reseating cables of course with power on and when I re seated j118 which powers beacon and ball accelerator board, I accidentally plugged it back in one pin over. So basically the power was plugged in the ground causing a fuse to pop. It was late and it was a stupid mistake. Well now my supercharger does not work. In test mode it looks like optos work but none of the magnets activate when enabled. How bad did I break my game? Is the ball accelerator board fried along with magnets for superchargers? Is the board salvageable? I am fearing the worst and please if there is any hope to fixing this please let me know. Really in the dumps right now.

#2 7 years ago

Hard to say the extent of the damage.

A set back. You'll get through this and be enjoying your game again.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Any idea where to start testing this? My guess its just the board. Magnets were not enabled when i made the dumb mistake. I was testing mars lamp. I don't think I seen replacement boards for the ball accelerator board so that worries me.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Any idea where to start testing this?

Sorry no. You'll likely need to have it checked by one of the board repair guys.

#5 7 years ago

Bummer dude, this is the second thread this week with a down machine caused by seating a cable wrong with power on. And they are both Steve Ritchie games with beacons.

(See) http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-killed-my-f-14-tomcat-tech-help

Harsh lessons being learned on the pinside.

#6 7 years ago

Unlike the other post I am pretty sure the fuse did its job and my driver board is not damaged. I have someone coming this week to look at the accelerator board and he said it is fixable. Just hope the damage stopped there and did not do any damage to the supercharger magnets, or other stuff plugged in to that board.

#7 7 years ago

Now that Suck's !! Accelerator boards are UN-obtainable right now . And the Bad is you Could've Fried more than 1 board ...

A Few Yr's ago i was using my BSD to Test 4 or 5 Extra DMD's that I had ,, I was Powering Off each Tyme to check , but when I went to Put my New DMD back in I 4-Got to power ff , I blew it ..

That was my $ 130.00 mistake .. I Hope Yr Repair guy get's HS2 up & play-n again ..

#8 7 years ago

I found this replacement accelerator board out of Australia:
http://www.homepin.com/turbo.html

#9 7 years ago

Detonation can be a hassle. up the octane rating or reduce the timing. Adding more petrol threw the mid range would also help.....................

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Now that Suck's !! Accelerator boards are UN-obtainable right now . And the Bad is you Could've Fried more than 1 board ...

so you're saying there's a chance!

#11 7 years ago

Well. I ordered one just in case mine can't be fixed. I figure from Australia it might be here before end of June! I am going to test out optos in supercharger tonight to make sure that works ok as I believe the opto board plugs in to accelerator board. Playing the game the ONLY thing I noticed not working is the supercharger magnets. Everything else seems ok. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood everytime I say that!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I found this replacement accelerator board out of Australia:
http://www.homepin.com/turbo.html

Awesome ,,, I didn't know that Any were available ..

#13 7 years ago

Available and shipping. Got my confirmation email. I told the guy he may want to post on pinside. He is only one making and selling this board.

#14 7 years ago

I just ordered a 24 opto board from them for my BSD , I hear good things about their products !

#15 7 years ago

Willy, next time something like this happens, contact Jerry Clause. Trust me on this.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-trader-alert-jerry-clause-gameroom-service-board-repair

#16 7 years ago

Ok. Thanks. I will take note of that on contacting Jerry. And about the opto board for BSD, I guess they specialize in hard to find boards not being made by anyone else. Very cool to have someone put the effort in to boards that are not as popular and sell as much as a driver board or a cpu board.

#17 7 years ago

don't forget to follow up when you get your board installed. have 2 hsII's would love to know if i should pick up a backup from them!

-jon - reciprocal NYC

#18 7 years ago

Seems like a lot of people are having problems with The Getaway lately. This does not seem promising cause this happens to be my next wanted pin and with all these posts that I have seen its really starting to raise some concern. Sorry for your problem, hope you can get it fixed soon.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Seems like a lot of people are having problems with The Getaway lately. This does not seem promising cause this happens to be my next wanted pin and with all these posts that I have seen its really starting to raise some concern. Sorry for your problem, hope you can get it fixed soon.

getaway was my first used pin. still have it and i've logged mucho time on it's restoration and maintenance. still do!

the supercharger board rarely goes down, so don't sweat that. the back right jackpot ramp is most prone to issues, but can be adjusted. just requires some patience..

getaway is my most fun pin, especially relative to how care free it's been for me..

you just have to take the time to dial it in right from the start. then you have 100k plays of amazing games to look forward to. good luck!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Seems like a lot of people are having problems with The Getaway lately. This does not seem promising cause this happens to be my next wanted pin and with all these posts that I have seen its really starting to raise some concern.

Read the posts. Study what caused the problems. Don't repeat them.

You'll be fine.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Yep, I am a reference now for dum-dum moves.

I know how you feel Steve. It is a sickening feeling. It was just a stupid-careless mistake. It will be about $100 mistake for me. On a good note, the optos in the supercharger work so I think I am just looking at replacing/fixing the ball accelerator board. Got someone coming to look at it tomorrow and I have a new board ordered. Don't mind having extra boards around plus I can always sell one of them. I just hope once the board is working that the magnets that shoot the ball around the supercharger fire up ok.

#23 7 years ago

If the accelerator coils are fried I am look at an additional $120+ to replace the three of them.

#24 7 years ago

you prob fried the transistor pairs on the board. my guess is you'll pop in the new one and everything will be fine.

then you can practice replacing them on the old board.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Don't let questions about a specific person's machine worry you. Getaway is hands down the most reliable machine I've owned, or even worked on. The fairly simple design, strong metal ramps, WPC electronics, fliptronics flippers, diamondplate playfield, and robust mechanicals make it a survivor like no other. The supercharger is the most complex part, but even it is pretty simple, with few moving parts.

#27 7 years ago

Here is the damage to my accelerator board. Should be fixable though! Again just a stupid mistake caused this and I agree with Voltherd. Getaway has been a solid machine that works great. The issues I have had up to this point are minor and this last one was just my fault. I highly recommend HS2 for a collection. I was keep going back to it! The thrill of achieving Redline Mania really does it for me!

2013-06-07_13.26.18.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside