(Topic ID: 74443)

How bad is the original Batman pinball by Data East?

By JamesMxP

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by joekiss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15666-i.jpg
15665-i.jpg
15664-i.jpg
BatmanLED_zpscb307e25.jpg

#1 5 years ago

One popped up locally in a batman collection. They're asking $1000, thought I'd try $500-$600, but if they accept I don't want to be stuck with a totally awful pinball.

Avoid at all costs?

#2 5 years ago

Actually, it Is a pretty good game.. I played one is semi poor condition, and it was pretty good.. Playfields are always worn on it.. even at 1k (condition playing a roll) that is not a bad deal.. if you can get it for 600-800 then I would..

#3 5 years ago

One of the better DE games from that era, but that isn't saying a whole lot. Middle of the road kind of pin, not awful but not great either. Tiny DMD is expensive to replace once it dies.

#4 5 years ago

Plays ok looks great. seemed kind of repetitive. I liked the audio. I have a super fondness for the 89 Keaton movie I would buy it in a heartbeat.

#5 5 years ago

$1k for a dmd game is a fantastic deal. Obviously depending on condition of it not being blown out. Any pinball is better than no pinball

#6 5 years ago

Condition is king, have you seen it or pics? Sometimes those "collection" machines just sat there unplayed and are in really nice shape.

Quoted from northvibe:

$1k for a dmd game is a fantastic deal. Obviously depending on condition of it not being blown out. Any pinball is better than no pinball

Half a DMD.

#7 5 years ago

Its a decent game! I think its one of the best DE games (Well its still a DE game... ) 1000 is a great price if its in ok condition! It think its worth about 1500.

#8 5 years ago

Theme wise it's great, and has great art. I'm not sure I've ever seen a ''mint'' condition Batman.

Just remember, next time you see/play Police Force, that was suppose to be Batman!
(dirty pool, Data East lol)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Condition is king, have you seen it or pics? Sometimes those "collection" machines just sat there unplayed and are in really nice shape.

Half a DMD.

hahah I got my 1/2 dmd game..paid less than $1k but it needs more love than a red headed step child

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Plays ok looks great. seemed kind of repetitive. I liked the audio. I have a super fondness for the 89 Keaton movie I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Still my favorite interpretation of Batman! Why oh why, no Batman Returns pin!

Like others previously stated - condition is king! I don't think I have ever seen a mint Batman playfield before (of course barring when it was new).

#11 5 years ago

If it didn't have a Batman theme, it would be about a $300 DMD. Get ready to hit the center ramp a bunch of times. While it isn't a bad game, it certainly isn't one of the better ones from this era. If you can get it at the pricepoint you listed you should be fine when you go to sell (assuming everything is there and working).

#12 5 years ago

It's actually a really fun pin. I bought it for a friend and had it for a while shopping it out for him. It's not a difficult machine, but for that reason, it gets played a lot by kids and the more non-pin player crowd. Depending on your collection, it's kind of nice to have a pin with long ball times. The small DMD isn't the greatest, but that has never mattered to me. Very nice mirrored backglass. Playfields are often worn and yellowed. $1000 isn't a bad price and worth it, but $500-$600 might be too low. Good luck.

#13 5 years ago

That small DMD is still bigger than Checkpoint!

LOL!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

If it didn't have a Batman theme, it would be about a $300 DMD. Get ready to hit the center ramp a bunch of times. While it isn't a bad game, it certainly isn't one of the better ones from this era. If you can get it at the pricepoint you listed you should be fine when you go to sell (assuming everything is there and working).

C'mon, Tim - $300?

The only issue I have w/ it, the playfield layout is definitely geared towards the casual/ beginner players. To use your example, the ramp entrance you can drive a truck through it.....

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

C'mon, Tim - $300?
The only issue I have w/ it, the playfield layout is definitely geared towards the casual/ beginner players. To use your example, the ramp entrance you can drive a truck through it.....

LOL... I was trying to see if you were paying attention. How is your NOS playfield search coming along (or do I already know the answer to that?)....

I do like the PInbot visor on the right, sorry Flugelheim, and I like the artowrk and sounds. The gameplay is just so-so for anyone that has the ability to hit each flipper individually rather than both at the same time

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

C'mon, Tim - $300?

I put big non-original rubber posts on the ramp entrance. It not only made the ramp shot harder, and also made the edge shots of the museum and joker a lot harder as well, it also made the game very dangerous and fast... Having two rubber fatties slammed right in the middle tremendously improves this game IMO. Also, shooting the center ramp all day is a low-reward strategy, very low. When I play I usually go for museum multiball all day, and it's a fun and useful strategy to play... The randomly-awarded million plus feature is my biggest gripe with the game... The scoring is very lopsided, whoever gets it(and manages to hit the ramp a few times) will win 90%+ of the time, in my experience...

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Theme wise it's great, and has great art. I'm not sure I've ever seen a ''mint'' condition Batman.

I had one that was very close a few months ago, I kept it clean and waxed and a couple thousand plays later there's some wear on the pf. Early DE playfields suck, I'd advise anyone who has a really nice one they plan on keeping, to get a clear coat.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

I had one that was very close a few months ago, I kept it clean and waxed and a couple thousand plays later there's some wear on the pf. Early DE playfields suck, I'd advise anyone who has a really nice one they plan on keeping, to get a clear coat.

yeah, but the problem with that is, they all had mylar I believe...and removing that mylar is not advisable..

#18 5 years ago

Mine never had mylar to begin with. It had a few ball drop mylar's. I recall vid saying somewhere that about 90% of F-14's were mylared from the factory, maybe it's similar for this game, where they didn't all get it. I was fortunate to find a nice one, when people play it they tell me it's a lot different than the other Batman's they've played...

#19 5 years ago

If you are shooting the ramp all day long you aren't playing the game right. Don't know it because your strategy sucks. Same with AC/DC right? I could hit the left or right ramp all day but that is my own choice by not trying to progress though anything.

Is it a great pin - Nope

Is it a good family pin that kids love - Yes

The rules are shallow but I still find it challenging. How many of you have actually gotten the 15 million jackpot? I get the 5 almost every time I play and get the 10 about 10% of the time. Still haven't made it to the 15 million JP.

That joker ramp is a PITA to hit and complete what shot you want (eye or mouth).

My favorite part of the pin is the music.

As far as price. If it's in average condition for a Batman DE I feel $1K is a reasonable deal. Maybe talk down to $850 or so if it's got some issue but if you offer $600 (nearly half of a reasonable price) I wouldn't even neg with you. I'd show you the door and move on.

If the playfield doesn't have any wear or very little wear $1K would be a steal as their are several people out there that would pay good money for one of these in great shape to complete their Batman collection.

Really check for broken parts as a lot are no longer out there. Their were repo joker ramps and the center ramp but I don't see them anymore but the main part is they don't come with the decals so you have to try and save your originals (I have scans just in case). Also check the GI as they apparently have common issues with burning out the connectors.

And before anyone says it. Yes, I do own this pin. I'm trying my best to give an unbiased opinion on the matter. I think Batman DE is a $1K to $1.2K machine in normal condition. That is based off what I've seen them sale for over the last couple years. Some higher and some lower but that seems to be the average. 100% not a pin for a small collection but if you get one for less than $1K I don't see how you could ever be out a lot of money if you sold it down the road.

#20 5 years ago

If one popped up by me for 1k-1500 I would buy it.

#21 5 years ago

If wasn't blown out I would buy that for 1g all day long. fun game. looks great with LED's

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

If wasn't blown out I would buy that for 1g all day long. fun game. looks great with LED's

Agreed. Here's the one I LED'd for my friend.

BatmanLED_zpscb307e25.jpg

#23 5 years ago

go play it- judge for yourself.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Agreed. Here's the one I LED'd for my friend.

BatmanLED_zpscb307e25.jpg 67 KB

Holy purple bobcats batman!

#25 5 years ago

The theme IS great. Who here is going to say that the 1989 Batman isn't a great movie? and Jack Nicholson? Marvelous based on theme alone.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

That small DMD is still bigger than Checkpoint!
LOL!

It is the same dmd.

The game is from 1991, I mean what can you expect gameplay and rule wise. It was the end of the era that sys 11's had the 1 money ramp. CP for example, you could hit the 1 ramp over and over, but there actually is a handful of things to do and hit...if you aren't looking for only a big score. So as someone mentioned earlier, it depends on how you play.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Agreed! Plus it help prevent the GI from connections from getting hot.

15664-i.jpg15665-i.jpg15666-i.jpg

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Holy purple bobcats batman!

Ha! Yeah, my picture makes it look a lot brighter than it actually is. It actually turned out very nice. I had white LEDs in the backglass, but the owner preferred the look of the incandescents.

#29 5 years ago

Anyone want to join my "Tim Burton's 1989 Batman Is Still The Best One" club?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Tim Burton's 1989 Batman Is Still The Best One"

I'll be watching Batman starring Adam West............
Ceasar Romero is still the best Joker ever. But this is the best Batman pin IMO.

#31 5 years ago

I love mine. I've owned it for the last 15+years and would never sell it. The longer you play a game on it the cooler the music gets. I've just aquired a decent used playfield that will get the touch up and clear treatment since I've been looking for a NOS one for about 5 years now and they dont seem to exist.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

Mine never had mylar to begin with. It had a few ball drop mylar's. I recall vid saying somewhere that about 90% of F-14's were mylared from the factory, maybe it's similar for this game, where they didn't all get it. I was fortunate to find a nice one, when people play it they tell me it's a lot different than the other Batman's they've played...

I don't think any of Batmans I have ever run across had any mylar. Data East had their 'stealth coat' - hah!

#33 5 years ago

A scoring strategy I use is first and foremost is all ways have a mode running (easy enough).

Then when I get the unlimited millions choice I wait till multiball. I'll shoot the ramps, ignore Flugelheim Museum, and milk that ramp to death w/ the three balls. BTW, I love the music in this mode!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Anyone want to join my "Tim Burton's 1989 Batman Is Still The Best One" club?

Count me in!

#35 5 years ago

I remember playing in a movie theatre upstairs in Aliso Niguel, CA when it came out. Have not had a chance to play again but was fun at the time. Then they replaced with Stars Wars DE.

#36 5 years ago

Imaginary town in south orange county. Somewhere between Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel. Heck. I get confused everytime I go through there, but I do know it is home to Los Golandrinas, and a lot of hotties.

#37 5 years ago

I think the game is a lot of fun and a good game for casual playing. The backglass is stunning. I'm not looking for the game by any means but I think 1k is fair on this title. I don't know if I was the seller whether I would take a $500 seriously and negotiate with you on it.

#38 5 years ago

I thought when I opened this thread it was going to be bash bash bash.

I picked up one better than I have ever seen or heard of. I've gone through a few, but there is always crap loads of insane wear. This is one is near perfect. I bought to repair and sell. DMD wasn't working, no insert lights, no GI, a crap load of other issues, was home use since 1994 (receipt still with it).

Starting playing it, and I'll be damned, I can't stop, and really enjoy it. Again, I have had one before but never gave it a good shot. I can't believe someone would say this game is about the ramp. The ramp is worth next to nothing unless you are cashing in a victory lap, or going for the millions mode. Not to mention after so many shots the diverter screws up your rhythm, and sends most to the left drain. For the shallow rule set, it uses everything very well, scoop for a random mode/item lit, good point values for very quick shots to the joker face, victory laps for the main ramp, plus quite a bit more, but the hunt for the 15M jp is the big ticket. The bonus sucks, even at 10x, my largest has been around 2m, hardly worth caring about it you tilt out trying to save a drain

Quoted from 85vett:

The rules are shallow but I still find it challenging. How many of you have actually gotten the 15 million jackpot? I get the 5 almost every time I play and get the 10 about 10% of the time. Still haven't made it to the 15 million JP.

UGGGGG...THANK YOU!! I thought I was going insane not being able to make this. I have logged well over 150 games on it since getting it, and although I can usually get the 10m, and have been on the doorstep for the 15m (which only gives one second to drain it, and have had the ball on the flipper, with an easy shot to make, I cannot make this, and it's driving me mad!).

It plays well now, but I have to tear it all apart still to shop. I found rare NOS slings for it.

My goal is to put the outlane posts to the highest point, and even at the middle they are pretty deadly. That way this machine works VERY well as a "you make the shot or you drain" type of machine. All shots either return to the flipper, and deflect to the flippers (like the museum). Anything else seems to end up in the side drains. I think when I'm done I'll have a very fast and deadly machine, which has a very difficult achievement that will keep my interest.

I think few realize how important this game and POTO were back in the day. Those large easy to hit bash toys which drop down, really help, in that era, bring a lot of people into pinball. POTO and it's simple rule set helped me click and understanding I'm not suppose to just flail randomly.

#39 5 years ago

Never received the pictures. All the good reviews definitely had me planning to offer 800-900 and maybe agree on the $1000 asking if in good shape.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Imaginary town in south orange county. Somewhere between Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel. Heck. I get confused everytime I go through there, but I do know it is home to Los Golandrinas, and a lot of hotties.

Hey Odin but not as good as Scottsdale and ASU hotties and out here I know you pick up yours pins too so we got that going as well. Have to meet you someday as if appears we are on the same track with rock n roll as well based on your other comments in trends. Muslims Bells. Do you remember a pool hall with arcade games and about 6 pins back in the day called Fezzywigs in Lake Forest? That is where I got into love and much more. Ah the old high school days back in CA. Take care.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I remember playing in a movie theatre upstairs in Aliso Niguel, CA when it came out. Have not had a chance to play again but was fun at the time. Then they replaced with Stars Wars DE.

I take it back it was Mission Viego bec that was the only big movie theatre before they but up Aliso Niguel high school.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Do you remember a pool hall with arcade games and about 6 pins back in the day called Fezzywigs in Lake Forest? That is where I got into love and much more.

Yep. That is where I first came across BK2K when it was new. That music overwhelmed all the surrounding pins. That place is long gone, but there were hotties there too.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I thought when I opened this thread it was going to be bash bash bash.
I picked up one better than I have ever seen or heard of. I've gone through a few, but there is always crap loads of insane wear. This is one is near perfect. I bought to repair and sell. DMD wasn't working, no insert lights, no GI, a crap load of other issues, was home use since 1994 (receipt still with it).
Starting playing it, and I'll be damned, I can't stop, and really enjoy it. Again, I have had one before but never gave it a good shot. I can't believe someone would say this game is about the ramp. The ramp is worth next to nothing unless you are cashing in a victory lap, or going for the millions mode. Not to mention after so many shots the diverter screws up your rhythm, and sends most to the left drain. For the shallow rule set, it uses everything very well, scoop for a random mode/item lit, good point values for very quick shots to the joker face, victory laps for the main ramp, plus quite a bit more, but the hunt for the 15M jp is the big ticket. The bonus sucks, even at 10x, my largest has been around 2m, hardly worth caring about it you tilt out trying to save a drain

UGGGGG...THANK YOU!! I thought I was going insane not being able to make this. I have logged well over 150 games on it since getting it, and although I can usually get the 10m, and have been on the doorstep for the 15m (which only gives one second to drain it, and have had the ball on the flipper, with an easy shot to make, I cannot make this, and it's driving me mad!).
It plays well now, but I have to tear it all apart still to shop. I found rare NOS slings for it.
My goal is to put the outlane posts to the highest point, and even at the middle they are pretty deadly. That way this machine works VERY well as a "you make the shot or you drain" type of machine. All shots either return to the flipper, and deflect to the flippers (like the museum). Anything else seems to end up in the side drains. I think when I'm done I'll have a very fast and deadly machine, which has a very difficult achievement that will keep my interest.
I think few realize how important this game and POTO were back in the day. Those large easy to hit bash toys which drop down, really help, in that era, bring a lot of people into pinball. POTO and it's simple rule set helped me click and understanding I'm not suppose to just flail randomly.

The trick to get the 15 million is if you still have 3 balls going, let one drain. Now on 2 ball multiball I trap one on the left flipper, and on the right, I backhand the museum. Last backhand shot, I quickly shoot it from the left flipper, BAM -15 million!

#44 5 years ago

"There's gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight...."

Get ready to hear that about a billion times if you ever get it. Most likely cutting itself off.

#45 5 years ago

1k? Buy it. Perhaps neg for a little less.

#46 5 years ago

I got a HUO one coming sometime within the next couple of months...

I can tell just by the layout, it's not my style of game. It'll be moving along soon after I get it, I bet...

#47 5 years ago

I would love to have one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside