Screenshot_20190311-095309_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).png
IMG_1311 (resized).jpeg
85E6A7CD-D335-4EB0-8B75-97AC42B11A42 (resized).jpeg
9D8B07FD-6C92-4069-B11E-C4BBFAE08FDD (resized).jpeg
IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
0322AA6F-0633-4FC2-9D56-1C43BBA10D47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#696 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Met two newbies last week in a great barcade in Dallas. They got exposed to pinball at the barcade. Both of them have NIB games on the way to their homes . One of them a POTCLE which also happens to be at the barcade. Don’t think we can assume the availability of machines in the barcades is going to slow the growth of home sales

I agree, and once you experience pinball in the home, it's hard to go back to the arcade. When I moved to LA, I thought I'd largely convert to public play (since there are many barcades). Was just the opposite...made me realize how much better home play is (where you control all the variables...like sound, light, etc.). Considering how cheaply the new games are made, the play degrades quickly when they are in a well traveled barcade.

snaroff

#699 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Can’t speak for the sales, or pricing etc but played a “gold” edition last night at a retro themed bar and I loved it. It was fun and looked great.
Would I love it in my home after a thousand plays? Maybe not. But it looks cool as heck. The contrast of old meets new is special.[quoted image]

Here's what it looks like "lit up". Consider the poor lighting in most barcades, a bummer that the pin has 0 spots. Fortunately, there are aftermarket solutions

snaroff

IMG_0962 (resized).jpegIMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
#702 5 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I played one in a local bar and didn't find it to be a dark game. They are clearly trying to give this game some feel for the 60s with the art, theme, and simulated score reels. This extends some of the lighting features like the turquoise pop bumpers and warm LED GI. The after market lights hide some of the side art and reflect off the plastics and metal pieces on the sides of the play field causing a candy cane effect that I find to be a major distraction.

I'm glad your local bar had adequate lighting to enjoy the game, but I don't "buy" your rationale. It's a modernized retro pin. Modernized implies many things, which *should* include lighting the PF properly. IMDN is modern and it is woefully lacking spots as well (the middle of the PF can hardly be seen in a dark room). All of my visitors so far think the lighting improvement is uniformly "goodness". This isn't purely about aesthetics, it effects gameplay. If you can't see the shots it's harder to make them

snaroff

#708 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Played Bestles last night. Wish I could get those 2 bucks back. Different strokes

I'm curious...do you like playing classic 80's pin's in general?

snaroff

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That is a fair question, and yes I do. Unfortunately this game is not priced at 80's prices. Quite possibly it's the theme as well, not a big Bestles fan. Play on!

ok, thanks for the response. Well, my restored Fathom & Centaur are easily in the Beatles Gold price range (but I get your point.

snaroff

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from normalville:

NO WAY... Stern sets the price... a distributor can discount it some but not much....

In general, you are correct. With Beatles, the pricing is a little more mysterious...especially for the Platinum/Diamond Editions.

If you go to Sterns website, the Gold/Platinum/Diamond all say "CONTACT FOR PRICING AND AVAILABILITY".

snaroff

#747 5 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

The poor look at the so called Middle Class and think they are the rich!
Let's face it, a pinball machine is a luxury. NIB they are ALL very expensive, and unaffordable for 95% of the world's population.
Pinball manufacturers aren't in business to supply luxury toys to everyone on the planet. They are expensive to make, plus they need to make a profit to stay in business. They are in business to make money not lose it. Unfortunately, for NIB buyers, that means high prices, for ALL NIB pins. If you think the price of Beatles is 'overpriced', whatever that means, then don't buy one. But those who don't buy one shouldn't begrudge those who do.

Couldn't agree more! EVERYTHING is relative. It's how you live your life that matters. I respect folks that appreciate what they have and live within their means.

Look at Warren Buffett, one of the richest guys on the planet who lives a low-key lifestyle. Love this Buffett quote: "Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars."

snaroff

#755 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Thought I would post a Beatles update with some local factual information.
A new pinball / gaming bar that opened up a couple of months ago has a Beatles gold on route with 8 other pins...
The Addams Family (Bally, 1992)
Aerosmith (Pro) (Stern, 2017)
Beatles (Stern, 2018)
Deadpool (Pro) (Stern, 2018)
Ghostbusters (Pro) (Stern, 2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Pro) (Stern, 2017)
Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) (Stern, 2018)
Kiss (Stern, 2015)
Star Wars (Pro) (Stern, 2017)
They also have current and classic arcade games. The classics like Paperboy, Super Punch-Out, etc are all running on CRTs and original boards. Plus you can play Xbox One and PS4 there as well. I'm helping out with maintenance on the games at this location. They use a scan card system, so you can get a bunch of fun metrics when you run audits on the games through that system. All pins are priced the same and for this location, Beatles has been the worst earning pin since joining the rotation, only second to Addams Family which has had a lot of down time due to issues. Normally new pins see a spike in earning out of the gate for at least a month or two. You would think this would be especially true with a limited game that you can't just find everywhere and a theme like the Beatles, but that has not been the case at this location. In the Twin Cities here, we had 2 Beatles Gold pins on route during this time period, compared to 11 Iron Maidens and 9 Deadpools for example. So theme and rareness have not translated to earnings here...especially when you factor in the premium price paid for the game.
In case you are wondering, here are the best earning games in this location in order from best on down...
Deadpool
Guardians of the Galaxy
Star Wars
Kiss
Ghostbusters
Iron Maiden
Aerosmith
Beatles
Addams Family

Based on your top 3 earners, I would guess it's a younger demographic at this arcade. Beatles is obviously targeted at an older demographic (1964?).

Beatles is a beautiful game and a great change of pace. I'm not a fan of GOTG (#2 earner on your list), so I'm not surprised others aren't smitten with Beatles. No game has universal appeal or is universally good (with the possible exception of TRONLE

No matter how many times you and others complain about price, Stern doesn't care. I guess it's a form of Pinside therapy to whine incessantly about price?

snaroff

#758 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I don’t think @lesmanley has complained about the price (at least not in this thread).

"So theme and rareness have not translated to earnings here...especially when you factor in the premium price paid for the game."-LesManley

I think Les Manley's data is interesting, but isn't proof of anything...just data on a single location. In today's market, Stern pinball prices have very little to do with earning potential. If Stern's market were largely operators, it might be a different story, however the home pinball market is substantial.

I'm sure Stern is focused on one metric...how many games are unclaimed in Stern's warehouse. My guess is that number is close to 0. A new Stern distributor just popped up down the road. The more distributors, the more folks warehousing Stern's games and lowering their risk.

snaroff

#762 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I didn't. I just said in my post above that the Beatles theme has not translated to increased (or even normal) Stern pin earnings at this location. Obviously that is not good for the operator who paid a premium price to bring the game in.

I wasn't trying to say that it was proof of anything or that Beatles is a terrible game. There was just a lot of guessing, opinions and pure speculation in this thread, so I thought I would add the only bit of facts on Beatles that I could to the conversation. It's a small piece of the big picture, that's all. People can obviously do with that information what they will.

I get it. My point is data without context doesn't mean much. That's all. If an operator decides to pay a "premium price" for a game with certain earnings potential, then the operator needs to understand their demographic. That's my only point. I can guarantee you that if 100 folks my age (late 50's) fire up a location game, GOTG isn't going to "win" over Beatles! Make sense?

snaroff

#765 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Sure, it makes sense, but I would argue that straight up guessing and/or personal opinions on the Beatles game and sales mean much less...and that's what the vast majority of this thread is to this point.

Yep. fwiw, I'm a collector/player and I'm happy with my game. If all my games were as complex/deep/brutal as my SWLE, it would be hard to love pinball. Diversity is goodness.

Could Beatles be "better" if it weren't a modified Seawitch? I guess so, but I've never owned a Seawitch, so it doesn't really effect me from that perspective.

Would it be great if it were less expensive (somewhere between a "pro" and "premium" for the "gold")? Absolutely, but I have no control over this (other than trying to get the best price available to me from distributors/friends).

How much a game earns on location is a complex topic that I don't believe has much to do with the title of this thread. If I were an operator, my decision to purchase a Beatles would be based on my location and demographic. If it's an older demographic, I might take the plunge. Younger demographic, no way.

snaroff

#777 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

A reasonable price on Gold Editions would translate to more sales.

If so (and sales are so dismal as folks suggest), why would a Stern distributor have a Gold Edition listed for 10k on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Beatles-Pinball-Gold-Edition/dp/B07L6N83JN/ref=sr_1_2

#784 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Only the uniformed would buy at 10K from an Amazon site.
At the normal 8K list retail these are just sitting in regular dealers stock. Street price for the Golds is actually about $7600 give or take delivered. Way over what the majority of the market will pay. The initial sales were spotty and now it's down to a real slow burn.
It's not so much about theme, content or execution of the game, it's dollars. The game is not selling well.
Personally I would have a hard time paying normal Pro money for one. I'd maybe consider it at that price level, but even then there are many other choices I would probably give more consideration to.
Would I like to play one - You bet. Would I buy one - No.

Sure, some folks are uniformed. True in general. So what?

The distributor listing it for 10k wants to move a game...period. If the game has no shot at selling for 10k, the price wouldn't be 10k.

#786 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Sales are poor, plain and simple. Anybody can put even more inflated prices and put it online. That doesn't mean it will sell for that.
Enjoy your game snaroff. I am not dissing anybody that bought the game at whatever price.
The thread topic is how bad are Beatles sales. My opinion is they are not doing very well. I base my opinion on two private conversations I have had with two very reputable distributors. The games are not moving. Sales have been subpar.

I haven't talked with distributors about Beatles sales, so you have more data than I do! If distributors get "burned" on Stern pricing often, then I don't know why Stern distributorships are growing (not shrinking). Maybe they just figure "you win some, you lose some?".

Just to be clear, I'm not "defending" my purchase. I have no plans to sell the game, and even if I did decide to sell and take a hit, "you win some, you lose some". Overall, pinball has been a pretty darn inexpensive hobby. I don't keep tight accounting on my buys/sells, but my gut says I'm ahead by a few bucks. Even if I'm breaking even, it's still amazingly affordable if you stick to games/licenses people love.

snaroff

#788 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Because nobody lists anything on Amazon, eBay or anywhere else on the web for prices that are unreasonable. And the items always sell.

Hmm...all the other recent Stern titles are priced "normally" for the Internet. Beatles seems to be the standout...

#794 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Very true, but this is changing with saturation. The high pricing on nib means bigger and bigger losses. The used market is where the stable collecting is still decent. That will go soon enough as well.

Saturation is definitely a problem. In Florida, it's more of a PITA to sell than in California (more people, more money).

1 month later
#827 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I really like the game, I think it's the best game Stern has put out in the last couple of years with the exception of Iron Maiden, but I stand by my opinion that it is outrageously over priced.
If the price on them drops to a reasonable level, I will strongly consider buying one, if I'm wrong and they don't, oh well, lots of other pins to play!!

It's arguably not "outrageously over priced".

Here is a photo of IMDN Premium $7,599 (MSRP), Beatles Gold $7,999 (MSRP), and Munsters Pro $5,999 (MSRP) "under the hood".

These photos show Beatles is outfitted much like a Premium, *not* a Pro. Beatles is priced $400 more than IMDN Premium and you get gorgeous power-coated legs/armor/apron, side-art blades, "Vox" speaker trim, sweet emblem on the apron (much nicer than the cheap-o emblem on the backbox). Oh yeah, you also get lots of Beatles footage/assets from the time period...

IMG_1311 (resized).jpegIMG_1311 (resized).jpeg
#831 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You both have valid points. From a bill of materials Beatles definitely is up there with a normal Stern Premium. With respect to gameplay Beatles, while a lot of fun, is definitely not deep in terms of code and rules compared to an IM (Premium or Pro).
That being said Beatles overall has been a pleasant surprise, a good back to basics pinball that is enjoyable from beginner to advanced player.

Exactly. "Coil count" is one measure of what's in the Bill-Of-Materials (the guide by which Stern bases it's Pro/Premium pricing). Gameplay is highly subjective and has little impact on how Stern prices it' games. For example, it they were charging "by the rule", Munsters would be priced much less than IMDN.

The Munsters rule set is "meh" (to be polite). I'm sure it will improve, but the game as it stands isn't nearly as fun as either Beatles or IMDN. In terms of a multi-player game, Beatles is more desirable. I had 3 heavy hitters over for some pinball recently and 1 game of IMDN took ~1 hour. The Beatles 4 player games were closer to 15 minutes (as a result, we played 2-3 games IIRC). Despite Munsters being the new kid on the block, rules didn't inspire any of us. Munsters shoots great/smooth, but the game is very basic...great for an arcade, not-so-great for home use (unless you absolutely love the license and artwork).

#837 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Are you assuming all future pros are going to be as barren as Munsters? I hope it's not true! Compare beatlewitch to any other pro and you'd see something completely different.

Ignore Munsters if the comparison irks you...focus on IMDN Premium. Beatles Gold has the BOM of a Premium...

#846 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Musters is the only pro that looks like that. Put it up against any other pro, and it will look similar. Premium features aren't just under the hood as well... Beatlewitch is a pro at best, but if you love it, who cares?

What "Premium Features" are you referring to? (other than "ramps")

#852 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great point and great picture.
To each his own. I happen to love TNA which some would say is overpriced (what isn’t ?).
Point is $6/7/8k is a heck of a lot of money and imo the Munsters pro is seriously bare (but so might be TWD pro which I love).
It’s not about how much a pin weighs or how many miles of wire but rather how fun it is.

That's the bottom line! ("how fun it is").

All new pinball machines are expensive! If Seawitch sells for ~6k (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-seawitch-6), it's hard to deny the street price for Beatles Gold isn't fair! It's new, faster, brighter, beautiful, lcd, timeless license, modern audio, etc.

The "fun factor" is personal & subjective, but if you like the game, it's "worth it". That's why many games are no longer in my collection. I either didn't find them fun or got bored. OTOH, I have 2 TRON's since I'm bi-coastal (a game I initially didn't like that much). I play it more than most games in my collection. Painful to pay over 10k for my TRON LE recently, however I love playing it.

I realize Beatles isn't for everyone, but if you like/respect the Beatles music and love pinball, it will start winning people over. I'm convinced the team gave it the love it deserved.

#864 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Finally got the chance to play several games on a diamond version yesterday. What a boring experience! The game really sucks. With all of the other machines out there now that offer so much more in features, game play, etc. why would anyone other than a Beatles fan choose this one? Just asking....

Based on your collection, I'm not surprised you don't like Beatles gameplay. Have you ever played Fathom, Centaur, or Paragon? Doubt it.

Anyone that appreciates classic 80's "drop target" games will appreciate Beatles (just like they appreciate games like Fathom/Centaur/Paragon).

#866 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Actually, I have owned many pinballs over the last 40 years and I owned and played many that were drop target focused such as Gottlieb's High Hand and, I remember playing Paragon. Sorry, I just did not enjoy the Beatles game. I do like their music and I remember when they first came onto the scene. Great times.

Wow...40 year of pinball ownership! I'm only at it 15 years

Nothing to be sorry for! I just like trying to understand why. Everyone that has played mine really seemed to like it (and several weren't Beatles fans). These are folks that are tough pinball critics...not folks afraid of hurting my feelings

1 year later
#946 4 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

I have wanted this pin since the first time I played it at a dealers. I am an unabashed beatles fan but this pin has the most 'one more game' vibe to it of any that I have ever played. Desperately want one but they are so damn expensive (which I totally understand is because of licensing etc) I have zero income since Covid 19 and a large mortgage but am still considering buying one every day to ease the isolation! Re another beatles pinball, In terms of songs and art, Sgt Peppers would have to be the obvious choice?

They really aren't "so damn expensive" relative to other modern Stern titles. This was recently listed for $6,300.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-beatles-gold-edition-22

#948 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

you can get a used pro of most games for 5k or less and they have alot more to them.

Comparing it a Pro is silly, sorry.

The game is outfitted like a Premium (not interested in digging into the details, which I've done in other threads).

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I've had my eye out for awhile. I've seen a a few at around $6k for the gold and platinum's around $8k. Nothing local, however. If one came up around here at that price, I'd be very, very tempted.

Agreed. I've had mine since it was released in 2018...bought it NIB for $7,500. When I purchased it, I justified the price based on the costly license and limited/fixed number of games being produced. The license is timeless and I believe this game will grow in popularity.

I'd love to see Stern do more 80's reworks/rethemes...80's games are a bitch to maintain and having a modernized, much improved Seawitch inspired design is awesome. Very fast, tough game. Short ball times which makes it a great multi-player game.

Good luck finding one...highly recommended!

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Pro comparison is totally valid. This game is not outfitted like a modern Stern Premium. Sorry.

Here is an old post that backs up my assertion:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-beatles-kapow-stern-pinball-official-speculation-thread/page/72#post-4853021

If you think my photos or thinking is flawed, I'd love to hear why you think it's outfitted like a Pro.

I own one and could care less about the BOM, however this idea that it's outfitted like a Pro is a superficial knee-jerk reaction to the no ramps design.

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Beatles is proof to me that you don’t have to have all kinds toys and gimmicks all over the playfield to be a good game, it’s just a fun shooting game.

Yep. I love many of the modern Stern games, however 80's drop target rich games still rock.

My other anecdotal proof that Beatles is well worth 6-7k is CQ 80's games sell for 6-7k (and obviously don't have the fancy LCD screen with tons of licensed content and callouts). For example, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fathom-19.

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

80s games are much more rare.

Not really. Top rated games like Flash Gordon and Paragon were produced in very large numbers (~10,000 each)! Centaur/Fathom in the 3-4k units. 1,614 Beatles Gold will be produced.

What's rare (with 80's games) is finding beautiful examples that play perfectly and don't have maintenance problems. For example, I have an original HUO Paragon...that is pretty rare!

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

That's why paragon and flash Gordon arnt worth near as much as a quicksilver which is much rarer.
No Beatles will be parted out or scrapped so there will always be almost all of them in the world.
There is far less then 50% of the 80s games left.
But I get it Beatles is a great game. But you can stop price pumping just cause you own one.

Price pumping? Sorry to disappoint you, but pinball isn't a money making proposition for me. The conversation is about Pro vs. Premium, and the only reason I'm voicing my opinion is because Beatles Gold is much nicer than Stern Pro's.

Your assertion about rarity was off target. Fact is, top-rated 80's games in great condition sell for top dollar.

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

A mint paragon will never be worth a mint fathom . Because of rarity it's simple.

Obviously.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

10,282 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.