Screenshot_20190311-095309_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).png
IMG_1311 (resized).jpeg
85E6A7CD-D335-4EB0-8B75-97AC42B11A42 (resized).jpeg
9D8B07FD-6C92-4069-B11E-C4BBFAE08FDD (resized).jpeg
IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
0322AA6F-0633-4FC2-9D56-1C43BBA10D47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Must be rough when you have distributors calling you to pump the "platinum" and "diamond" editions!
That's a first for me.

Not really that different from most releases. I get at least 4 emails from different distro's everytime a game is released.

With that said it doesn't seem to be selling that well or really at all yet. Things could change with a good release on Nov 6th but as of right now my distro wasn't even getting the 10 pack. They were concerned about having 70K tied up and being stuck with some of the 7 golds for an extended period.

I'm excited to see the release and am looking forward to playing the game. I'm a Beatles fan and I love Seawitch so it's exciting for me. Doubt I'll get one though.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

at PRO pricing I would CONSIDER one for route, but any more and it is not an option.
Just too many other/ better and more recognized licenses for route if you are doing smart business.
If you go on route the general public playing pinball is more of the 25-45 range and not as many 50+
Sure Beatles is recognizable to the younger generations but they are not the core.
Put a Beatles next to GOTG, DP, SW, DI, ACNC, pretty much any newer release and those games will get played equal if not more. Given that, Beatles needs to be priced the same to even be in the running. Esp with so many classics that are proven to do better and so many other new games coming out.
Dollar for Dollar if this is price at AP or JJP prices then Beatles is bottom of the barrel on that price bracket.

Probably not the best comparison. I'd bet The Beatles would kill a DI in rout earnings and it costs less.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

8k for Beatles I thought?
I can assure you that DI has done surprisingly well and for the duration.
JJP pins have proven to be consistent earners on route. Hard to justify the price tag up front but they earn their keep (Hobbit dropped off and left, but there is a reason both Woz and DI are still around )

Most people are getting quoted 7600-7800. And be reasonable, there's no way The Beatles theme is not going to draw in more plays. Add in that it's simple to follow and it's just going to be a lot more appealing to casual or newer players then DI. DI is a really good game and pinball people will like it. But mom jeans and cell phones are not going to attrack plays like The Beatles will be able to. If you can afford to buy JJP pins for rout then I think you are crazy to not be interested in this game just for it's rout potential. Is it over priced, you bet. Doesn't matter if it can earn as well as a JJP pin though.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, do you hobby operate? just trying to frame if your opinion is based on doing it your just a WAG?
My experience after over 5 years is that this is not the case.

I don't route any of my games. I support our local ops though and know most of them personally. I see what comes and goes, what's getting played the most, and what non pinball friends of mine do when we go to a barcade. No one has made more factually incorrect wild ass statement on pinside then you.

You know your group is going to get a The Beatles so why not put it right next to DI and see what happens? You can prove me wrong.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I was a big fan of later Beatles stuff, Ok with their early stuff. This machine looks like it should be sitting in a teenage girl’s bedroom in 1964, right on top of her hope chest. I am not a teenage girl from the sixties, the color scheme is a technicolor nightmare, and the playfield ia a simple flatwood re-theme. This is a definite pass.
However...
On location I would drop a dime (figure of speech, I know drop $1) on one game. If it was nostalgic enough, maybe play a couple of games to remember just how much more I would probably enjoy playing almost ANY modern day title that might be sitting next to it. It’s good for a little bit of nostalgia, but serious pinheads will walk right by it.

You must know many serious pinheads if you think they only play and enjoy modern games.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

jgentry, It’s my opinion, and I am allowed to have it, so why not stop trolling me, huh? And yeah, I know a whole bunch of pinheads here in AZ, OH, CO, CA, KY, MA, Germany, Norway, Spain, Italy, the list goes on... we like modern day pins, we play the older pins, but we prefer modern titles. Your opinion differs, so be it.

Your opinion is fine, state it however you want and as often as you want. Stop saying we and speaking for others though as you have no clue what you are talking about or what others like. It's ridiculous for you to say that we like modern pins in AZ, OH, CO, CA, KY, Germany, Norway, Spain, Italy, and the list that goes on.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tough but fair. And true! (Besides the “we love you” part)

Your ruined it with the edit. It was pure gold, now it's not even a Beatles gold

#231 5 years ago

I've heard they are not selling. But they are also not for sale yet so that might explain the first part.

#332 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lets not get crazy here. Supreme is the ugliest piece of shit on the planet. Neither are worth even 10% of what they are asking.

Lol, so The Beatles are not even worth $800.

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They have nothing to sell because they aren’t buying the 10 pack BS
So let’s have this thing age a bit and see where it lands
It’s a pig in a poke
Patience. Let the dust settle on this over priced dog

While I agree with letting the dust settle, you are wrong about the 10 packs. Distros gobbled them up and anyone that passed had another distro happily take their allotment.

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are 100% wrong
Wtf.

I certainly do not know for sure, but who I buy games from isnt a huge stern distro and didn't get a 10 pack due to the risk and huge investment. Another distro took their 10 pack and they cant get me a gold through stern until the second run in Jan. I'm sure if I wanted one they could get me one through another distro sooner though. To me that sounds like the first 100 pack or 1000 games are all claimed by distros. Time will tell if they sell. I 100% agree with you on waiting and seeing. They may sell well and people can always get one from the Jan batch. It may be a flop and there will be deals to be had. Time will tell.

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from Normscoffee:

So no matter how many people confirm that their distributor is sold out of 10 packs you won't believe it because you don't like the game. Bold.

I don't think most distro's are sold out, or even close to it. I do believe that stern has sold all 100 of the first 10 packs though which is what is being said by several people. Some of the foreign distros might have sold their 10 games but in the US there are a lot of distros and a lot of games to go through. If you want a gold they should be available for a little bit at least and maybe for a pretty good while. I'd bet many have diamonds and platinums still available as they are feeling out the market to see how much they can get.

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well I'm a bit surprised at the video and LCD animations and state of the code at 1.04, whatever that really means.
It looks really fun and i need something that my wife and others can actually step up and play SO...
Chalk up one more sale up for Stern on the Beatles! Love Train baby!

The sky has fallen.

Game really does look pretty darn cool.

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from ROTTENPINBALL:

stern sucks, pinball rules

You're an idiot.

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from ROTTENPINBALL:

boom roasted, spoken like a genius. at least i didn't spend 8 grand on beatles pinball.

I doubt you could if you wanted too.

Are you implying something about people that did buy the game?

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Now we get to look fwd to “stern fix the code” threads. Stern sells on theme alone. Hook, line, sinker

The game is shipping with 1.04 code. Not going to be a lot to add or fix. Stern sells on a proven ability to delivery games quickly and is the only company that does that. They consistently make the most games, delivered the fastest, with the best themes. I guess that's a negative somehow to you though.

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Stern's POTC code V6.00. just saying

You should go buy one right now then. No issues at all happening. Just saying.

POTC is going to be a great game, wouldn't touch one right now though. What a cluster F.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Though we were talking Stern not JJP.

Sorry, I misread that.

I'm not sure if stern used the same versions to designate stuff back then. But games certainly shipped more complete. The ability to easily update code now is a bit of a blessing and a curse. It results in games being shipped too early but it also allows them to get feedback and make some incredible games if your patient enough to wait.

Quoted from tamoore:

What's cluser-f-ee about the JJP one?

I know of 3 people that got one NIB all required 4-12hrs of fixes just to get them playing. All of them love the game, all of them are pissed about their NIB experience though. I think it's going to be great, JJP needs to fix some QC issues ASAP though. The game is packed with stuff and shoots incredible. No denying that.

#499 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the same can be said about stern machines as well as american pinball, dutch pinball, heighway, etc...
the fact is, these are hand assembled products and no matter how much they would love you to believe that each and every machine goes through rigorous testing, they don't. machines are assembled, lamps, coils and switches are tested and the machines are packaged up and shipped. we were told that each and every single harness was hand tested at stern (and seen evidence to the contrary.
if every company had a stellar QA/QC department and treated their products like ferrari does, then no one would have a single "out of the box" issue

All of them have some QC issues. These have not been your normal adjustment problems. These have been issues with the games not being built properly. I'm not sure why so many of you just want to give JJP a pass on that. It is what it is and they need to get it fixed. These are games that certainly were not play tested. It's hurting their sales and eventually is going to kill the company if they can't get over their new game build issues. I want JJP to succeed, they are good for pinball. I'd like a POTC but not until I can trust them to build it. I don't blink about buying a stern. I have much higher confidence in them building the game. I've owned all JJP games so far and ton of sterns.

Quoted from tamoore:

I played one a couple of days after coming out of the box, and other than me sucking, the game shot fine... The guy who bought it didn't complain about it being a cluster, either.

That's great, maybe they have gotten things straightened out already. I only have 4 reference points and 3 were friends that all had major issues, and another was one opened for a show that only had the minor things that you would expect. The three that had issues had many of the same problems. Those were all build a month or more ago. Hopefully that is all we hear moving forward. Minor adjustments from shipping or just typical pinball stuff.

#505 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

To be fair Stern games typically have less problems out of the box compared to JJP games as there's far less on them. What's there really to break on a Star Wars Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, or Guardians Pro? Not much. I do agree though that early build Pirates appear to be having more issues then normal. Broken wires, and major ship and spinning disk adjustments are not normal problems. Games with those issues should have been checked better at the factory. JJP will correct those early issues, as they have with all of their games. However, I would personally not buy any Stern premium or JJP game until at least 6 months after production has started as by then these early issues will have been caught and corrected.

No doubt that letting all of them build a bunch first is smart. But I don't really get the more to break arguments. It's brand new, it's supposedly tested, it should work pretty darn close to perfect. As a pinside tradition lets use a cargument. If you buy a base model do you expect it to work perfectly? If you buy the one with every possible add on that costs 20K more do you expect it to have issues because it has more stuff? They re both brand new, they should both work as intended. When you buy anything if you buy the highest item with more features do you expect less from it somehow because it does more things?

We need to stop giving all of these companies passes. For what they are charging we should have high expectations from all of them.

Plus I want JJP to get their shit together so I can buy a game, lol.

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya, good points. If pinball companies want to keep charging more and more and offer their games at record high prices then quality control needs to be high.
Update: Just read this reply from Pirates designer Eric over in the JJP Pirates thread. Great news that the issues with early games have been addressed.
[quoted image]

Thanks for posting that update. Glad to see they are working through the issues.

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

1.04 cause its almost a seawitch ve.

Well that sure has a lot to do with coding an LCD, lighting, and modes.

1 month later
#635 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

In all honesty, I'm only echoing what's been said here over and over. I've played it and I don't mind it. Even considered buying it. Even so, the general consensus really sounds like most people don't like it.

That's not really true at all. Some people at stern have hinted at it being one of their better sellers. They sold a lot of them because in general people like the game. People that are not willing to tweak a game are going to hate it, for tournaments it's pretty unbalanced right now and not fun, people that like easy games are going to hate it. People that enjoy a hard game that is loaded with features (maybe more so than any stern for the premium/le) seem to really enjoy it. It is loaded with mechs and unique things that are only in that game. It has great art, great sound package wit custom call outs, loaded with toys and mechs, unique layout, etc. What you see on pinside is the vocal minority which screams the loudest.

You just need about 2-4 hrs of tweaking and $100 in add ons to get it playing right. If it's too brutal add the plastic set with the center post. If stern can get the code updated and balanced a little it is absolutely one of their best games package wise. Some people will always hate it because it's so different. The same people often whine about every new fan layout that comes out though.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Let's not forget that distributor's had to buy these in groups of 10, so as far as Stern is concerned, yeah it might be selling well. The real proof of how successful or not The Beatles project is, will be when all the Golds from the 10 packs are gone and if there is demand for the second run.

but they didn't

Quoted from Psw757:

They only had to buy a 10 pack to get the diamonds and platinums.
There are distros selling just golds.

Correct, I know several that didn't buy 10 packs.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

You come on here beating your chest about proof and such over an opinion I stated. You expect me to give you a foot massage? I have a small list of things that require being an ass over. You made it on the list. What are you talking about with 2 NIB in my garage? I unboxed a game in my garage and there are no other new games in there. 2 games being restored in there though. I do appreciate the good luck wishes however.

I think he is just saying that since you claim to like the game you must only be doing it to drive up the price of other NIB ones that you are holding hoping they will increase in value.

Not sure how he got to that but he seems to have a pretty vivid imagination when it comes to The Beatles pin. It seems to really get him upset for reasons that I'm sure also make a lot of sense. Enjoy your game and don't worry about the petty haters. Life is short, buy and play what you like.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I don’t know for all games manufactured from 2001 - 2099...I can imagine over that period of time yes, a lot of any game will hit the secondary market.
Obviously my point was I don’t think these will be long term keepers, other than for those that REALLY needed to have one based on theme alone (see original comment). For the money, there are just a slew of better pins available from a playability perspective, with more to come.
For instance, I think you will see more of these on the secondary market faster than MBr’s, which were concomitantly released.
As for diamonds and platinums, people will hold onto them because they won’t fathom eating half of the money they spent NIB.

I would disagree strongly with that. MBr is going to be one of the most resold games for the next few years. People will love it at first, get tired of it fast, and be ready for the next one. The Beatles at least has really short ball times which gives it the one more play vibe. If you only have a few minutes you can go play a game on it. People said the same thing with BM66LE and BM66SLE and they have held their value better then any stern since STLE. Plus there are going to be more MBr then The Beatles pins and that alone will contribute to a lot more of them trading hands. MB is a great game, but it's also typically one of the quickest sold in the top 10 for most people.

Have a the Beatles shown up on the used market yet? Typically there would already be a couple of stern pro's that someone decided they hate and want gone by now on most releases.

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I agree with the numbers argument because it’s basic math, but that’s it. Mbr has so much more to offer. Sea witch is a great game, but it’s no IM for speed and flow. Adding a couple magnets won’t help imo. I see Beatles likely being rotated quickly for many, and I don’t see as much of a buying market pool. Secondary purchase res are going to get a hell of a deal: my guesstimate is that after about a year, this pin will be 4K.

It's always strange to me when someone basis market projections on their person preferences and not one historical data. There are reasons why nice examples of Fathom, Centuar, EBD, Seawitch, etc are not available very often. They didn't make a ton of them and the people that have them do not sell them very often. MB on the other hand has always been well liked but also a game that gets moved around often. I guess you think that this is the worst game ever made by your 4K prediction. No stern has ever taken a hit like that, none of them at any point if well cared for. There's not a single stern ever produced that has seen a fall close to that. WWE is probably the closest but even those only took a 2K or so hit. So is this game twice as bad as WWE?

#660 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I’m going on what data I have. I agreed with your assessment of numbers. Mbr will trade more based on numbers. As for Beatlewitch, Stern hasn’t remade an older pin like sea witch as far as I know. It’s an old pin that lacks much of what modern pins offer. I see it more like Whoa Nellie: 6500 msrp and I’m betting has sold for 3k. Pinside values it at 4.5k on the low end. My number is likely a bit low, but we’ll see. Clearly you missed the word Guesstimation. Your assessment is as much opinion as mine.

Most people paid $5500-$5800 NIB for WNBJM NIB. They sell at around $4500-$4800 which is about an 18% drop. Not close to 50%. If someone sold a WNBJM for 3K they left $1500 on the table.

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

My point is that there will be a substantial drop in price with beatlewitch. Clearly you disagree, and clearly you have not convinced me otherwise. Maybe it will only be 18%, but I think it will be more as this is a NEW cash grab strategy for stern. Time will tell, and that, my friend, is fact.

Maybe it will drop a little more then others have. I just don't see a scenario that has them dropping at 50% or close to that. Anything is possible but that is unheard of with modern sterns. It's more likely to follow the same pattern as the majority of releases with 10-15% drop for a HUO example. People called the last kapow release of BM66 a cash grab and openly mocked everyone that bought one. The LE's and SLE's have held their value extremely well and the premium has seen a normal resale drop. There's very little reason to expect much different on these. The Diamonds will stay locked up with fans or collectors, the Platinums with sell on rare occasions for a small loss, the golds will fall right into the 10-15% line like other titles have.

I'd agree with you to some extent if we were seeing a pile of QC issues or a lot of reports of people hating the game. All we see are people bitching about the price and those that play it pretty much across the board has said they enjoy it and it's fun. Even people that don't like the theme have admitted that the layout tweaks are very nice and that it plays well. Most games that tank do not get good reports and are themes that are just not well received. In this case we have a game that people like, a theme that most people like, and a price that no one really likes.

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Classic...that name is going to stick for me.
In the end I guess it won’t matter. With every game being $5500, even classic Sterns, the hobby will end soon altogether. I guess I should have upped the price on the Nice Stern Dracula I just sold for $900.

Lol, you 2 sure are some Debby downers. NIB games taking 50% hits, used games skyrocketing beyond everyone's reach, and finally the end of pinball.

#668 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So basically the bubble is finally going to burst?!?!?!
And Beatles is the pin that's gonna prick it?!?!
Goddamn, I knew the end was near, as it has been for 20 years, but clearly, this is the final blow!!
(BTW you guys are nuts if you can buy a HUO Beatles for $5500 in a year I'LL BUY YOU ONE!)

I'm taking you on this bet with the hopes of someone dropping one down a flight of stairs or something. Anyone with a busted HUO Beatles hit me and LEVI up so he can arrange shipment and payment. I don't wish anyone's game to get partially destroyed but if it happens I'll take it.

1 week later
#733 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Yes, but I am a pinhead, not friends or family.
Have plenty of pins "friends or family " like.
South Park, Space Jam, WCS, Shrek to name a few!

Then you should love it like so many pinheads that love seawitch, fathom, centaur, ebd, flash Gordon, etc.

No clue how so many people came up with the idea that single level means a lesser game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

10,282 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.