Screenshot_20190311-095309_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).png
IMG_1311 (resized).jpeg
85E6A7CD-D335-4EB0-8B75-97AC42B11A42 (resized).jpeg
9D8B07FD-6C92-4069-B11E-C4BBFAE08FDD (resized).jpeg
IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
0322AA6F-0633-4FC2-9D56-1C43BBA10D47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What would pinball be without the bitchiness?

WE ALL LOVE IT!

This reminds me of when I got out of Navy boot camp years ago. After boot camp it off to "A" school in Memphis. "A" school is where we went for training it what would be our field of work. Imagine 6000, 7000, 8000 horny young sailors away from home and all living together in the barracks. Most of us did not have a car.

For free recreation, we bitched. A lot. We bitched about this and we bitched about that. We bitched so much and for so long about nothing that way before my time in Memphis, the Navy had put up signs in many of the buidlings that said, " A bitching sailor is a happy sailor". I never know I could be so happy

Going with that maxim, there sure are a lot of happy people posting on Pinside. Especially with this Beatles stuff

#563 5 years ago

Regarding the pinball makers quality control issues.

Way back in the 70s, it was (not necessarily common knowledge) that you should not buy a car that was built on a Monday or a Friday. Indeed, some of the larger car dealers would be able to get their cars that were built on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. The reasoning was that on Mondays all of the line workers were hungover from a weekend of hard partying and on Friday they were in the mindset of "getting the hell out of here and go partying. Quality suffered on Mondays and Fridays.

Another item to consider was to never buy the first newly designed cars coming off of the line because the factory did not know how to build them, yet. Working a new design on the line is a learning process. And the first units being worked always had a lot of bugs. I saw this first hand when I was building airplanes. I was on a line with a brand new plane coming down the line. For the first few planes, we spent half of our time fixing fuck ups.

Somehow, I don't think the pinball build industry is much different.

#567 5 years ago

They are for sale.

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 3.42.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-23 at 3.42.34 PM (resized).png

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Not sure how good or bad sales are overall, but the final count here looks like two operators went in a Beatles Gold pins. First one arrived today, second supposed to be here by Thursday for a different location.
For a little perspective on the local market, we currently have 10 Deadpool and 11 Iron Maidens and 16 Star Wars of all different versions on route.
[quoted image]

It looks right at home. Like it belongs there.

1 week later
#588 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I still go by this, same with pinballs. Factories are factories - and I used to work in one.

I think about factories and I think about the mistakes that we made as product was going down the line and realize the human element is always at work.

And then I get to thinking about hospitals, especially when I connect the dots and realize hospitals are mostly human element.

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

It doesn't have to be from the 70's dickhead. I'm not wasting anymore time with someone who knows nothing of the Big E and his music outside of what appears to be internet found stats.

I liked Elvis ever since I was a little kid. I liked his movies. And his music. But the only Elvis song that would do anything for me on a pinball machine would be "Bosa Nova".

1 week later
#612 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Who would have thought that Keith Richards would outlive Prince, Bowie, and Steele ????

Yeah. And I just read that he has put the booze away and gone sober.

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The good news is keith's probably lying. It cannot be cheap to insure a Stones tour these days.

You oughta check out a documentary titled "Who the fuck is Arthur Fogal? He would sail right past an issue like this.

Lady GaGa and Rolling Stones sharing the stage? Arthur Fogal.

http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Who_the_Fuck_is_Arthur_Fogel

http://calendar.raindancefestival.org/films/who-the-fuck-is-arthur-fogel

#678 5 years ago

Stern is doing like the home builders. Build way more house than many people need or can afford because that is where the money is at.

1 week later
#751 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Golden Beatles in the house! At least on this I found while going through a box of my old music/drum/guitar books I haven’t had out in years.
[quoted image]

Ahhhh....which one is Paul

#766 5 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

No, they are all priced the same. I was surprised myself. We have a local Facebook group with close to 1000 members and it was blasted out on there that the game was available to play at the location. I know there were lots of people that were eager to play it, myself included, and with only two places to play it at the time I thought for sure it would be near the top in earnings at least to begin with.

I know nothing about the economics of routing machines. I have heard of some operators getting rich and others just getting by. Anybody who takes the financial risk to make a business with pinball machines has my admiration.

What I find interesting is that you/yours bought 2 of The Beatles pins. That seems like a lot of risk on a new pin.

Can we know why the decision was made to buy 2 instead of buying just one to try it out first? And then, if it worked, buy a 2nd unit.

Thanks.

1 week later
#808 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are less Fathoms currently on the earth than Beatles.

How do you figure this, Vid? 3500 were produced. When we get to bantering about how many particular classic Sterns are still around, you like to say that there way more out there then we are guessing. You are saying 45% of the Fathoms are no longer around. 3500 x .56 = 1960. THat is all that is out there? Less than 2000?

#810 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They made fewer AFM (bally) than Fathom, yet 900 pinsiders own a real AFM, and only 250 own a Fathom.

Good point. interesting observation.

1 month later
#814 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

had a great first ball. (perhaps too easy of a game

Well, as we are all aware, commercial pinball machines primary purpose was/is to pick your pockets clean. As has been mentioned on these pages, Beatles is primarily designed for the home market. With that in mind, Stern could play a little looser and make a pin that does not require a graduate degree in pinball in order to have a good time.

#816 5 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

the people I’m selling to aren’t Your normal pinball people (or: home buyers - their first pinball or Beatles fans).

If you are not selling to normal pin people, and you are not selling to home buyers, and you are not selling to first pin buyers, and you are not selling to Beatles fans, who are you selling to? Or am I not reading what you are saying?

#822 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

The man has a point here, who is buying these stripped down $8k pins?

I was not speaking pejoratively and do not consider it a stripped down pin. I am in the camp that a lot of the DMD pins suffer from TMSOTPF--WNPB.

I hope I get the chance to play one. Someday. I am out of room and money or I would be giving it a go.

But yeah, who is buying?

BTW: You will never figure out my acronym. Here it is. Too Much Shit On the Play Field---With No Pop Bumpers.

2 weeks later
#877 5 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

May we please get back to what this thread is about, and post all the other interesting thoughts on the other Beatles thread?
Anyone got any idea how sales are going?
Assuming there are no more Platinums and Diamonds for sale, have distributors sold half their Golds?
Nearly all their Golds?
Hardly any at all?

Sale of the Golds.

On Feb. 15-19, I took this screen shot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).png

This afternoon I took this screen shot.

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).png

That is an 18 day spread.

14 pinsiders have joined the Gold club. Almost one per day.

7 more public locations have been added.

All but one or two of these numbers are from the U.S. And this is just for pinside.

1964 being produced. 350 are the big dollar pins. That leaves 1,614 Golds. 807 for US. 807 for rest of the world.

(45 + 42) = 87/807 = 10% of U.S. Golds have found their way to pinside. Nobody has jumped up and volunteered that they bought theirs from The Beatles Store. No idea how many couldn't care less on what happens on inside.

#881 5 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I'm sure Stern also paid a fairly hefty premium for the rights to use what has to be the most sought-after music theme of all-time.

I think Stern probably paid a pretty good premium. But I'm not sure. How are you sure?

11 months later
#904 4 years ago

Joe Kaminkow says 80-85% of [The Beatles] are already sold.
The Aussie distributor sold out twice last year and is now selling their third batch.
Not bad for a machine with a $1,000,000 license (in Kaminkow's words, the most expensive license that has ever been on a pinball).
But does he mean 80-85% of the first production run or 80-85% of the 1,964 machines to be produced?

Hard to say.

But it looks like the Golds may still be in production.

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.12.19 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.12.19 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.12.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.12.54 AM (resized).png

#911 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Price is ridiculous
Art and photos suck
I already have a Seawitch

Whatever is ridiculous is such a subjective value. Someone in NY is going to think finding a closet to live in for "only" $2000.00 per month is a good value. Around here, $2000.00 per month will get you a nice large house to live in.

I have Seawitch, as well. I like it. But Beatles has more going on. Stern did a nice update.

I have a friend with a Beatles. I like that, too, but it is too rich for my blood and I am out of room, but it is a great player and when you are playing, all of the colors (at least for me) sort of disappear. It is not photogenic and looks much better in person. In person, the colors look more muted. It also looks good in a line up.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You are correct that art is subjective. I just don't believe it capture the essences of their early career, not the album artwork, the flyers, the press photos, the stages, etc. What it is, is a 2019 perspective. I get that the artists probably were given marching orders. I don't think it works at all, in fact it actually distances me from the game. I was really wishing for something similar to what the Rockband package was. They got it dead on. Even the videos were top notch, but since George's son was spearheading that project, it isn't a surprise.

Some one mentioned this several months ago: It has all of the colors of those teen beat magazines of the era.

#937 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

And would have been great for a Herman's Hermits or a Peter & Gordon pinball, not (possibly) the greatest band in human existence.

In that era, all/most all of the magazines were printed in color on the cover page only. Look, Life, MAD, etc. Open that rag up and all of the pages inside were in black and white. The Beatles on TV were black and white. The Beatles trading cards were black and white. Fan magazines were B&W The pics on the back of the album covers were B &W.

If Stern has made The Beatles B & W I would probably liked that better than the color bomb but as I noted earlier, in person is looks fairly good, IMO.
But I think a B & W Beatles would have kicked.

1 month later
#943 4 years ago

George Gomez said he wants to do a Yellow Submarine version. That's probably what Stern will do in 2021/22 after they sell 1,964 units of the current version(s).[quoted image]

Other than "Hey Bulldog" , there is not one song on YS that I would want to play pinball to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 8.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,282 (OBO)
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.