Screenshot_20190311-095309_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.25.07 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 10.35.41 AM (resized).png
IMG_1311 (resized).jpeg
85E6A7CD-D335-4EB0-8B75-97AC42B11A42 (resized).jpeg
9D8B07FD-6C92-4069-B11E-C4BBFAE08FDD (resized).jpeg
IMG_0962 (resized).jpeg
0322AA6F-0633-4FC2-9D56-1C43BBA10D47 (resized).jpeg

There are 975 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

take the same layout, put a CURRENT popular rapper on it, and it would sell and it would earn on location. ...

I would be super attracted to Seawitch rethemed with a rap band. I like idea of mixing edgy music and visuals with a street level pinball. How much would I pay ... I am thinking $4k - $5k range? How much won't I pay $5k - $7.6k (ridiculous)? Stern, can leave the lcd screen off and give us 4 alpha numeric led displays. Keep things simple and low tech with a simple game/rules. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stern.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

This pin is just not for us, Garry isnt aiming at us, he is making great bussiness decision and he is gonna make a lot of money for the company.
Whe allready are his custumors and we buy his great pins.
But he is also shifting focus to a bigger audience
Now he made a game for old beatle fans over the world who are collecting everything beately.
This is a pure brilliant company decision.
And will keep his company healthy with all other pinball company's around.
He may also enlarge the total pinball market in time by bringing in new pinball lovers this way.

Interesting perspective and I give Gary total props if it plays out this way for him. Capitalism is the best...regardless if the situation helps/hurts you personally.

#253 5 years ago

It’s amazing how much people on these threads take a lot of time making sure everyone knows how much of an asshole they are as opposed to talking about the actual subject matter of the thread like the poor (or not so poor) sales of the Beatles machine or why people would or would not want to buy one. Only on Pinside...

#254 5 years ago

What dealers have been soliciting orders?

I’ve called/emailed 3 and either no response via email or no answer via phone conversation on pricing yet. One told me today there should be pricing and another 11/6.

Are they just filling interest lists or physically selling.

#255 5 years ago

Stern only has to find a way to sell out the Beatles machines to their distributors to be done, happy and onto the next title. Perhaps the "10" pack strategy will do it.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Interesting perspective and I give Gary total props if it plays out this way for him. Capitalism is the best...regardless if the situation helps/hurts you personally.

Just curious.. If pinball people aren't going to buy it and aren't the target demographic, then who is? Anytime I mention the word pinball to a non pinball person they look at me like I just said that I was an alien from outer space. In my opinion pinball is very niche, but I hope for Stern's sake I'm wrong.

#257 5 years ago

Stern just released photos of the newly added bronze tier. I think this fits into many more peoples budgets.

beatlespin (resized).jpgbeatlespin (resized).jpg
#258 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Stern just released photos of the newly added bronze tier. I think this fits into many more peoples budgets.[quoted image]

Just when I thought I was out, I'm back in. Calling my distributor now. I'll be getting two. One to resale when they're all sold out.

#259 5 years ago

lol what is it with all the douchebags on here lately suddenly gathering around this term? Did you guys all get stuck in the WOZ announcement thread and just now found your way out of there or what?

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

lol what is it with all the douchebags on here lately suddenly gathering around this term? Did you guys all get stuck in the WOZ announcement thread and just now found your way out of there or what?

It's popular again because there was an article recently saying that even in packs of dogs, alpha males don't exist.

#261 5 years ago

Lmao so true Frax

Gotta love all these pinside macho alpha males running into the forest with nothing but a loin cloth and a spear and emerging with a blood-drenched Jackbot.

Showing us how it’s done!!

#262 5 years ago

Pinside should add Beatles to database so we can at see the number of owners and wish listers

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's popular again because there was an article recently saying that even in packs of dogs, alpha males don't exist.

Sure are a lot of bitches though...

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Stern just released photos of the newly added bronze tier. I think this fits into many more peoples budgets.[quoted image]

I thought Beatles was supposed to be a Seawitch re theme not a Munsters? Guess when you have a great layout it's just easier.

IMG_4707 (resized).JPGIMG_4707 (resized).JPGIMG_4708 (resized).JPGIMG_4708 (resized).JPG
#265 5 years ago

Love the drama!! I just wish they had chosen Rubbersoul as an early album. Man, Yoko Ono must be a bear to negotiate with!

#266 5 years ago
8A6D9816-62E2-496A-80ED-013996C56BB2 (resized).jpg8A6D9816-62E2-496A-80ED-013996C56BB2 (resized).jpg
#267 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lmao so true Frax
Gotta love all these pinside macho alpha males running into the forest with nothing but a loin cloth and a spear and emerging with a blood-drenched Jackbot.
Showing us how it’s done!!

You got that all wrong. Loincloths are offensive and objectify the <insert 1 of 57 genders here> wearer.

#268 5 years ago
35264243-C2C9-4B08-A49C-4DB966A858F9 (resized).jpg35264243-C2C9-4B08-A49C-4DB966A858F9 (resized).jpg
#269 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Love the drama!! I just wish they had chosen Rubbersoul as an early album. Man, Yoko Ono must be a bear to negotiate with!

Maybe they will get some of her sounds for free to use during multi ball.

#270 5 years ago

beatles are so macho! beta males will love this pin.....

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

beatles are so macho! beta males will love this pin.....

I gotta admit, when I think “alpha male” I think middle aged pinball collectors. A rougher, tougher group of studly macho men is almost impossible to find!

Have you ever been to a pinball show? The testosterone in the air is enough to arouse anybody!!!

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I gotta admit, when I think “alpha male” I think middle aged pinball collectors.
Have you ever been to a pinball show? The testosterone in the air is enough to arouse anybody!!!

If that’s what testosterone smells like yikes!

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If that’s what testosterone smells like yikes!

Only a beta male wouldn’t love the manly, studly aroma of alpha juice!

To be a pinball collector, you gotta RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS baby.

Get with the program or take up doll collecting. Pinball ain’t a hobby for sissies! It’s for manly alpha men only!

#274 5 years ago

this game will be sold out. if nothing else yoko will buy them to show the beatles are still relevant.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from Cruster:

this game will be sold out. if nothing else yoko will buy them to show the beatles are still relevant.

Why would Yoko give a shit?

You realize she's like, a billionaire, right?

#276 5 years ago

I live n breath pinball ? WTF. Are we going to dig up old broke hippies to buy this game ? I don’t get it

Are we 30 yrs late ?

Bring on Led Zeppelin ???

Or better yet !!!!!!!
Gretta Van Fleet !
Pinsiders check this band out
Rock is coming back
And this overwhelming hip hop
Garbage hopefully will fade away

#277 5 years ago

I consider myself a huge Beatles fan.

In my 20's, discovering their entire catalog of music changed me for the better, and opened new doors for me due to my changed outlook on life.

With that said, I have no plans to buy one, unless they offered a plain version Pro, and even that's a stretch on a Seawitch board. I'm definitely out.

#278 5 years ago

Another thing ? John Lennon could have married a super model or a few thousand?

Yoko ?
What a dog

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Another thing ? John Lennon could have married a super model or a few thousand?
Yoko ?
What a dog

She says she's a witch.

She cast a spell on him and broke up the Beatles.

(I always say 'what kind of witch lets her boytoy walk around New York without a protection spell???' )

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

WTF. Are we going to dig up old broke hippies to buy this game ? I don’t get it

Did you ever see how Twitter blew up after Paul McCarthy played at the end of the Grammy's two years ago?

It's pretty telling:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/who-is-paul-mccartney

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Or better yet !!!!!!!
Gretta Van Fleet !
Pinsiders check this band out
Rock is coming back

People are saying they are not even a real band (like this Pitchfork review of their new disc):

Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves. The poor kids from Frankenmuth, Michigan don’t even realize they’re more of an algorithmic fever dream than an actual rock band. While they’re selling out shows all over the world, somewhere in a boardroom, a half-dozen people are figuring out just how, exactly, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are supposed to fit into the SUV with the rest of the Greta Van Fleet boys on “Carpool Karaoke.”

Just look at this photo: Brothers Jake and Sam Kiszka, on guitar and bass, are both wearing hippie costumes they 3D-printed off the internet. The singer, the wretched and caterwauling third brother, Josh, is in dangly feather earrings and vinyl pants, like he was dressed by a problematic Santa Fe palm-reader with a gift certificate to Chico’s. It’s a costume—Greta Van Fleet is all costume. And if things that look like another thing is your thing, get ready to throw your lighters up for a band whose guiding principle seems to be reading the worst Grand Funk Railroad songs as if they were a religious text.

kaplan-cos-lolla-fri-greta-van-fleet-7 (resized).jpgkaplan-cos-lolla-fri-greta-van-fleet-7 (resized).jpg

Though their debut album, Anthem of the Peaceful Army, sounds like a bona fide classic rock record—with its fuzzy bass, electric sitar solos, and lyrics featuring the kind of self-actualized transcendence brought on by a few too many multivitamins—it is not actually classic rock. They are a new kind of vampiric band who’s there to catch the runoff of original classic rock using streaming services’ data-driven business model. Greta Van Fleet exist to be swallowed into the algorithm’s churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions. They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.

It’s possible to be an exceptional classic rock vampire act but it requires something more than the major label money and vaguely Native American accoutrements. It’s why Greta Van Fleet can’t compete with, say, the Darkness circa 2003’s “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” The Darkness—who aped big rock warhorses like Queen and Aerosmith and Van Halen—were so outrageous that they had to be credulous. They had a song that went, “Get your hands off of my woman, mother ****er” and did a power metal cover of Radiohead’s “Street Spirit (Fade Out).” Who would do such garish things? They dared you, tongue in cheek, to take this impossibly foolish thing very seriously.

Greta Van Fleet do no such thing. They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-’60s rock‘n’roll into an interminable 49-minute drag. Each song here could be written or played by any of a thousand classic rock cover bands that have standing gigs at sports bars and biker joints across America (the same venues where Greta Van Fleet cut their teeth when they were kids). So why should Greta Van Fleet be the ones signed to Republic and William Morris, because they don’t have bald spots yet? Tons of people in those cover bands play their instruments better than Greta Van Fleet, who are, currently, proficient at best. No one in this band offers anything in the way of personality that doesn’t sound like your average YouTube tutorial for a Jimmy Page-type pentatonic solo or a John Bonham-type shuffle.

And at least Zeppelin knew to separate their sweet-lady-I’m-horny songs from their howling-about-literary-fantasy songs. Hilariously, Greta Van Fleet combine them into one on “The Cold Wind,” where the narrator (who is dying) begs his “sweet mama” to take the family ox (I guess) to town to sell it, when, mid-ox-transaction, this happens: “The Yankee peddler bargains with you on his way/Whoa sweet mama’s gotten herself a new dress.”

That’s funny, but it’s not supposed to be funny, because Greta Van Fleet do not possess self-awareness—at all. When asked about a characteristically ugh lyric (“All my brothers who stand up/For the peace of the land”), Jake responded, in part, “I guess it’s subject to interpretation. But I think the initial idea with that was that, as brothers, we stand for the peace of land. And that was for the good of the Earth, and for man.” Ignoring that this is basically a gag in Spinal Tap, a much better answer that would speak to the spirit of the music they are trying to capture would be: “I don’t know, who gives a ****.”

What they lack in self-awareness they more than make up for in rigid self-consciousness, failing to make any fun or campy choices to lift these songs out of a morass of the worst impulses of Rush and Cream. The back half of the album alternates between the ignorable and unforgivable, from what is (a somewhat fun stomper “Mountain of the Sun”) to what should never be: “The New Day” features Josh singing about watching a child grow in a garden, seeing her bloom so she can “be a woman soon.” None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.

But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It’s proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn’t need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article. The more unique it sounds, the less chance it has to be placed alongside what you already love. So when the Greta Van Fleet of your favorite artist finally lands on your morning playlist, spark up a bowl of nostalgia and enjoy the self-satisfied buzz of recognizing something you already know. It’s the cheapest high in music.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

#282 5 years ago

^ You know how Pinsiders love the word "accoutrements"

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People are saying they are not even a real band (like this Pitchfork review of their new disc):
Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves. The poor kids from Frankenmuth, Michigan don’t even realize they’re more of an algorithmic fever dream than an actual rock band. While they’re selling out shows all over the world, somewhere in a boardroom, a half-dozen people are figuring out just how, exactly, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are supposed to fit into the SUV with the rest of the Greta Van Fleet boys on “Carpool Karaoke.”
Just look at this photo: Brothers Jake and Sam Kiszka, on guitar and bass, are both wearing hippie costumes they 3D-printed off the internet. The singer, the wretched and caterwauling third brother, Josh, is in dangly feather earrings and vinyl pants, like he was dressed by a problematic Santa Fe palm-reader with a gift certificate to Chico’s. It’s a costume—Greta Van Fleet is all costume. And if things that look like another thing is your thing, get ready to throw your lighters up for a band whose guiding principle seems to be reading the worst Grand Funk Railroad songs as if they were a religious text.
[quoted image]
Though their debut album, Anthem of the Peaceful Army, sounds like a bona fide classic rock record—with its fuzzy bass, electric sitar solos, and lyrics featuring the kind of self-actualized transcendence brought on by a few too many multivitamins—it is not actually classic rock. They are a new kind of vampiric band who’s there to catch the runoff of original classic rock using streaming services’ data-driven business model. Greta Van Fleet exist to be swallowed into the algorithm’s churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions. They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.
It’s possible to be an exceptional classic rock vampire act but it requires something more than the major label money and vaguely Native American accoutrements. It’s why Greta Van Fleet can’t compete with, say, the Darkness circa 2003’s “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” The Darkness—who aped big rock warhorses like Queen and Aerosmith and Van Halen—were so outrageous that they had to be credulous. They had a song that went, “Get your hands off of my woman, mother ****er” and did a power metal cover of Radiohead’s “Street Spirit (Fade Out).” Who would do such garish things? They dared you, tongue in cheek, to take this impossibly foolish thing very seriously.
Greta Van Fleet do no such thing. They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-’60s rock‘n’roll into an interminable 49-minute drag. Each song here could be written or played by any of a thousand classic rock cover bands that have standing gigs at sports bars and biker joints across America (the same venues where Greta Van Fleet cut their teeth when they were kids). So why should Greta Van Fleet be the ones signed to Republic and William Morris, because they don’t have bald spots yet? Tons of people in those cover bands play their instruments better than Greta Van Fleet, who are, currently, proficient at best. No one in this band offers anything in the way of personality that doesn’t sound like your average YouTube tutorial for a Jimmy Page-type pentatonic solo or a John Bonham-type shuffle.
And at least Zeppelin knew to separate their sweet-lady-I’m-horny songs from their howling-about-literary-fantasy songs. Hilariously, Greta Van Fleet combine them into one on “The Cold Wind,” where the narrator (who is dying) begs his “sweet mama” to take the family ox (I guess) to town to sell it, when, mid-ox-transaction, this happens: “The Yankee peddler bargains with you on his way/Whoa sweet mama’s gotten herself a new dress.”
That’s funny, but it’s not supposed to be funny, because Greta Van Fleet do not possess self-awareness—at all. When asked about a characteristically ugh lyric (“All my brothers who stand up/For the peace of the land”), Jake responded, in part, “I guess it’s subject to interpretation. But I think the initial idea with that was that, as brothers, we stand for the peace of land. And that was for the good of the Earth, and for man.” Ignoring that this is basically a gag in Spinal Tap, a much better answer that would speak to the spirit of the music they are trying to capture would be: “I don’t know, who gives a ****.”
What they lack in self-awareness they more than make up for in rigid self-consciousness, failing to make any fun or campy choices to lift these songs out of a morass of the worst impulses of Rush and Cream. The back half of the album alternates between the ignorable and unforgivable, from what is (a somewhat fun stomper “Mountain of the Sun”) to what should never be: “The New Day” features Josh singing about watching a child grow in a garden, seeing her bloom so she can “be a woman soon.” None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.
But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It’s proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn’t need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article. The more unique it sounds, the less chance it has to be placed alongside what you already love. So when the Greta Van Fleet of your favorite artist finally lands on your morning playlist, spark up a bowl of nostalgia and enjoy the self-satisfied buzz of recognizing something you already know. It’s the cheapest high in music.
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Love that author. Good read.

He’s like an internet focus group Hunter Thompson (j/k)

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you ever see how Twitter blew up after Paul McCarthy played at the end of the Grammy's two years ago?
It's pretty telling:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/who-is-paul-mccartney

What is "Twitter"?

#285 5 years ago

gold (resized).jpggold (resized).jpgplatinum (resized).jpgplatinum (resized).jpgDiamond (resized).jpgDiamond (resized).jpg

#286 5 years ago

Yep, I'd be fine with the gold edition if I was buying. Looks good.

#287 5 years ago

I don't see coin slots...

#288 5 years ago

I love the art packages. Just not a huge fan of the gold trim.

#289 5 years ago

I was told there would be coin slots?

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's edgy and subversive to repeat political memes on a forum where political discussion is verboten

#291 5 years ago

They’d sell a boat load at $4600

#292 5 years ago

They must have had some gold paint left over from the WWE and GOT gold trim runs.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

What is "Twitter"?

Biff: I'll take "Technology from the last Decade" for $200
Alex: An online news and social networking site where idiots communicate in short messages called tweets.
Biff: What is Twitter?
Alex: Correct.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Biff: I'll take "Technology from the last Decade" for $200
Alex: An online news and social networking site that has ruined society.
Biff: What is Twitter?
Alex: Correct.

ftfy

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from BrettC208:

I love the art packages. Just not a huge fan of the gold trim.

Why can't Stern do a decent gold powdercoating?

GOTG looked awful, as did WWE.

It really isn't difficult to pick a nicer version.

If I was buying a Gold ie if price was more realistic, the gold trim would really be a downer.

#296 5 years ago

The Gold version is at least a little better than the giant headshots, but good lord, are they worried someone won't figure out this is a Beatles pin? How many times are they going to plaster the name across everything? It's on the Gold backglass 3 times ffs. And the coin door. And the side of the backbox. And the side of the cabinet. And the back of the playfield plastic. And the blade art.

#297 5 years ago

Like the Stern Elvis pin why use the early stuff when for me anyway Elvis in Vegas was his best time, until well......U know, same with the Beatles I wanna hear Get Back, Come Together etc. not the stuff with the screaming girls and bowl cuts.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Like the Stern Elvis pin why use the early stuff when for me anyway Elvis in Vegas was his best time, until well......U know, same with the Beatles I wanna hear Get Back, Come Together etc. not the stuff with the screaming girls and bowl cuts.

Because the latter Elvis stuff was not as **rockin* for a fast, SR pinball machine.

"Come Together" is a slow tempo song for pin.

The tempo has to match the action on the playfield.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because the latter Elvis stuff was not as **rockin* for a fast, SR pinball machine.
"Come Together" is a slow tempo song for pin.
The tempo has to match the action on the playfield.

It makes me wonder if a band's best music doesn't match the tempo of pinball that maybe a pinball machine shouldn't be made around the band? Anyway, I like the Beatles and if a great pinball machine was created around the theme I'd be interested and might pay a little more for the theme depending on how well integrated it is (which is why BM66 still tempts me even though I'd feel kind of foolish paying more for it). Game play is still the most important part though.

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

How many times are they going to plaster the name across everything?

Pinsiders love that shit! I've seen so many modded games with the title repeated on a crappy unlicensed topper right above the backglass logo. Not to mention on the aftermarket side armor, art blades, pingulp, etc. Can't get enough name name name name.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
There are 975 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-bad-are-beatles-sales-so-far/page/6?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.