Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SirScott
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E866D2C7-0BF3-40B8-90C0-A2A86B6681A8 (resized).jpeg
    944440AE-E5A1-4C1A-A71C-84C7DC249296 (resized).png
    Keep on Truckin.jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Don't EVER trade on emotion. Fear and Greed. You are like the firefighter going into the blaze and with a sense of calm. And then picking through the rubble for assets to rebuild on.

I agree Ice. I feel there is not just fear when the market goes down, but also FOMO when we see the market or a certain sector rising.

Steady your ship at home with smart and disciplined spending, saving, job situation, debt, family life, body and mind and you can weather the storms during both smooth or rough water.

Boat analogy.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Steady your ship at home with smart and disciplined spending, saving, job situation, debt, family life, body and mind and you can weather the storms during both smooth or rough water.
    Boat analogy.

Well said.

#53 5 years ago

I don't invest something I can not touch, see and feel..

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

I don't invest something I can not touch, see and feel..

I'm with you Al. I prefer real estate. They ain't making anymore.

QSS

#55 5 years ago

Investing is weird

You save money to never spend

Damn

#56 5 years ago

What happened to post#50???
    This thread goes straight from #49 to the next page with#51

#57 5 years ago

I cashed out a large chunk in May and bought a house. Bad timing for housing costs but great timing to exit market!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I agree Ice. I feel there is not just fear when the market goes down, but also FOMO when we see the market or a certain sector rising.
    Boat analogy.

Yep, three words, "POWER OF COMPOUNDING"!!!!!

The most important math life lesson anyone could ever learn and yet they don't teach it on any level.

Dollar cost averaging also helps with the "consistency of returns". It matters a lot!

A consistent 6% AVERAGE rate of return versus the same 6% AVERAGE rate of return that has much VOLATILITY over time will produce MUCH LESS dollars in your account at the end of the day. Why?

If i lose 10% one year on $100k then i now have $90k. If i make 10% the next year even though i averaged a 0% rate of return I'm only back to $99k.

You still need to work to minimize the downside capture and/or dollar cost average more heavily into the declines.

#59 5 years ago

If you have DEBT to pay off, like credit cards and such which obviously should be avoided BUT you get out of DEBT in 1/2 the time by maxing out your 401k and paying the minimum amount on the credit cards UNTIL....

You have enough in your 401k to borrow from it to pay off the DEBT. Uncle Sam is helping you!

Why? Because most people don't understand what the biggest COST factor to the DEBT really is......

If you are paying 10% on a credit card or 5% on an auto or whatever the interest rate is NOT the biggest cost factor to the DEBT.

It's the INCOME TAXES you pay at whatever marginal rate you are in, today maybe 22 or 24% rate?

Thus, on a $1,000 of salary you have to pay the IRS $240 first BEFORE you start paying off your debt.

Put 100% of the $1,000 into your 401k and then borrow out 50% up to $50,000 to pay off debts versus, overpaying credit cards and foregoing the 401k contribution.

Mathematically, debt gets paid off in 1/2 the time AND you will have your 401k building back as it gets repaid through payroll deduction.

#60 5 years ago

dang iceman, that's smooth

#61 5 years ago

Ice

Are 401K loans repaid via after tax dollars?

If so I question the strategy.

If not, well, I'm gonna pay off my house.

#62 5 years ago

This all sounds so easy. Why don't more people do it?

For starters, most, 401-K plans allow only one outstanding loan. Thus, if you take one out for $20 grand and later need another 20 g's; sorry, no loan for you until you pay off the one you have. Not always so simple.

Only nice thing I found is that if you legitimately retire from a COmpaNy, you can withdraw from the 401-K as if you were 59.5 years young, even if you are younger. You save the 10% penalty "tax".

By "retire", you have to hit 85 (in my case, those bastards raised it to 86) points. 1 point for each year of age and 1 point for each year of service to the employer.

1 week later
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Time to buy. Thumbs up to the weed stocks.

I forego the stocks and just buy my weed direct.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-handling-the-stock-market/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.