20220716_155310 (resized).jpg
20220716_155319 (resized).jpg
20220716_161647 (resized).jpg
7A3FA12E-7CAE-4307-AD86-5F0FD3A92E9E (resized).png
185910AC-1217-482B-B7FE-995AB61DFF66 (resized).jpeg
sand1 (resized).jpg
D117173A-4910-475C-A24F-7A5076453A83.gif
1DFC6390-046A-4294-920B-3F1F999EFE72 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 1 year ago

I saw the inflation rate came out today at 9.1%, highest in 40 years for the US. For the rest of the world, the inflation rate is slightly higher, at 9.6% on average. No politics please.

I am interested to hear how you are managing? Approaches, tricks, sacrifices. I see everything going up but the paycheck, it makes it very challenging. I'd like to know I'm not alone in the struggle.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I've also made a few thousand extra picking garage sales and estate sales for high dollar items to flip on ebay the past few months, and the kids have had a blast coming along. I am also doing more "out" meals at home. If the family want's Pho I'll still get it for them, but it's $25 cheaper eating it at home without paying for drinks and tip.

I also don't eat out much, but truth be told, I never did like eating out. I thought the "buy at garage sale, sell on ebay" business model was a myth. I do love the idea of taking the kids with. We always love a good garage sale or flea market. I have the Rose Bowl Flea market here every month, but I think they tend to be professionals and you don't see deals much.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I have also limited eating out and other unnecessary spending. I don’t do Starbucks and stupid stuff either. I don’t have the latest over priced smartphone. Cut back on cable too. Tons of things to save a little bit here and there.

My phone's an iphone6. Still going strong, knock on wood. I never like to pay for the bleeding edge. I have streaming services, I don't think I've used cable for viewing for a long time (just need the internet).

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from vidguy:

Our new home increased nearly 20% in value. We decided to extract that through a HELOC, and used it to invest in my wife’s new business.

Am I glad to hear there is hope even during this time! My wife also has a business that is taking off, but not yet solid enough to count as reliable. Day jobs for us both at the moment.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thus far it hasn't effected me at all, in that I haven't had to change a single aspect of my spending.
I guess I'm just lucky. Not having kids or a car probably helps.

Not having a family certainly makes a big difference. My car usage is low, but I have to fly alot, which hurts.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Less driving around and actually paying attention to how much stuff costs at the grocery store rather than just throwing whatever looks good in the cart. Wow groceries have gotten expensive.

I find shopping at Trader Joes (if you have one) is consistently cheaper than grocery stores.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Aldi did a big push here. It's a bit cheaper than Publix but the stores are small. Sadly nothing beats Walmart.

Costco if you have the room.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Being military helps.

USAA insurance is great for the military AND family - my dad served in Korea, and could have taken advantage of this. And if he had, I would be able to as well. Be aware you can get the best rates if it's an option for you.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

USAA is not like it used to be. Was with them for 25 years and their rates got so out of control last year I switched to State Farm, it was almost 40% cheaper.

I did not know that. Thanks. I guess I don't feel as left out then.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

If people decide to stop allowing American to be energy self sufficient the problem will only get worse. .

There's a great discussion about this over at the "who hates EVs" thread. If you are interested. I think wanting to be energy-independent is a goal we all share. Hopefully when inflation goes down I can afford to do the EV route and drive right by the gas stations. Can dream, right?

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Welcome to the reality of raising the min wage. All other wages have to rise along with it to make it “work.” Otherwise, all you do is make everyone that was making the new min prior to the wage increase poor.

Actually, that's not true. At least, according to the historical information for prior min wage increases. But I'm thinking we are getting too far off the path here. Some of us definitely need a raise to keep up.

#67 1 year ago

I wish you were correct, but what we are seeing currently is not the case. All that’s been done is push more middle class folks below the poverty line.

Well, I can give a lot of data and evidence to back my statements up, but this just isn't the forum for it. I do hope we see inflation comes down soon, though for that, I won't hold my breadth. Too many factors around the world in play.

#80 1 year ago

A federally mandated raise? Not yet. But to coerce folks back to work to wean them off handouts here in DFW almost all have raised their wages. Sadly, many jobs are still open. You may not see it in MI, but it’s happening, and it has a direct effect on MI.

Isn't this both a good thing and the private market forces at work? When you consider today's minimum wage is 40% LOWER than minimum wage in 1970 (adjusted dollars).

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

With some of the younger people making more money has really boosted my Jukes.

That's what happens, the economy is boosted. I feel I should mention a good number of those jobs are held by older adults just scraping by. Makes me sorry for cities without good public transport.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

I would have voted for "up the ass" if it was in the poll...

Ouch. I know it's so much better than some, but I find costs keep my pinball restoration efforts to work with as much as I can, instead of ordering new right off the bat.

#86 1 year ago

If it was market driven, yes, but it’s not. If the market was driving the wage, the jobs would be filled.

How is it not? There are no further gov assistance payments, haven't been for awhile.

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I work as a building engineer now but if anyone asks me I’m 100% a carpenter until I can’t anymore .As far as inflation goes ,I just work more which blows .When the pinbug consumed me 2.5 years ago I promised my wife I wouldn’t use family funds for it that I would work extra to buy these and it’s been doing well .Now the family fund does need some extra outside the norm so if anything it will cost me a NIB pin in the next year .Boo Hoo right ? I don’t really follow politics or anything that goes with that .Life is full of ups and downs but the key is to stay even .This being said I do feel for the people this is really putting a hurt on and I do help those I know in many ways .I’m old enough to know that things will even out eventually and I’m rooting for the hard working labor wages to rise as a result .Those that work hard labor jobs I really hope you get together and demand what your worth because you deserve it more than any ! In closing ,Pinball has been the best thing that happened to me as I have met a lot of great people buying / selling , the league I joined and exposing neighbors to something they didn’t know existed. My name is Kevin and Im a Pinhead for life

Just gotta say, that makes me feel better during this time. Great attitude.

#98 1 year ago

I made the mistake of going to a regular grocery store last week - ouch. Ran back to Trader Joe’s. We also use Costco

#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

We will occasionally hit Trader Joes because they have some good stuff you can't really get elsewhere.

Try their chocolate ice cream, better than Breyers. Also Dark chocolate peanut butter cups

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

??? This is the core of our economic system. Price your product as high as the market supports.

I can remember a time when the first stated goals of a company's charter was "1) be an asset to the community, 2) make money." Yes, ancient history. I don't pretend to have solutions. But it's clear the system as it is, is broken.

Getting back on topic, several posters here who have their act together have inspired me to take a more proactive stance to our finances. Thank you for the inspiration!

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

One of my favorite movies is "This is 40". Graham Nash has a quote "The secret to life is to have a small nut." Basically, try not to owe money to people or live beyond your means. Easier said than done but its good advice.

If it were just me, I'd be living just like this. But my wife is not on that page, blessing that she is.

#135 1 year ago

Having to support three households and now hearing my (in Hawaii, no friends, no assets) mother-in-law's dementia has reached a tipping point, it's important to keep things in perspective. This thread helps, thanks.

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

nothing political about enjoying shooting. Anyone who owns or uses guns should practice regularly anyway.

I enjoy archery, so I know the enjoyment of visiting the target range. As long as I don't loose an arrow at the outdoor ranges.

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

I'm wondering if most here on this thread remember (I'm assuming that they WERE indeed taught this) from school-economics class to be specific- the old "Give everyone in the country $1,000,000 dollars. That didn't work out so well, as far as I can remember.

Don't remember, but such a premise is just silly to use for any sort of teaching moment. Speaking of, I really' really wish we taught high school classes on real world handling of money, finances, etc.. I only had one class on accounting, and it was to learn how to balance a checkbook. (ATMs were not even a thought at that point). Nothing on managing money. Or investments, etc..

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Archery is a great sport/hobby. I’ve loved it since childhood. It’s fairly inexpensive as long as you don’t lose arrows often like you stated. We shoot traditional bows (not compounds with sights) at scratch built foam targets in the yard or driveway if the gnats are bad. instinctive shooting is very hard to master.
Bullseyes get boring so mixing in some Zombie targets adds to the fun! [quoted image]

Now we're talking. I use a compound bow, 70lb draw, with carbon fiber fletched arrows, but no sight. I live really close to a free, outdoor set of archery stands with nice target bales. I have a friend who was taught the traditional Japanese recurve archery. They take it very seriously.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Of course we are all one heart attack away from the poorhouse. Lol.

Our friends overseas are going to be scratching their heads on that reference. But it is important to be thankful!

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I would imagine most people are going to do what what we do best in the US. Borrow and complain.
Credit card their way to piles of debt.

My question is, is this a sign of the fact we don't make enough? It used to be that only one parent had to work at a job to buy a house and raise a family. How many are forced to borrow? I'd be curious that breakdown, I've never seen it.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I've thought about this a lot several years ago when my wife was salty over not being able to stay home with the kids when two of her friends did.
Thing is those days where there was one earner people got along with a lot less. Now we expect to afford phones, multiple tvs, upgraded things like granite/quartz countertops tops, I style kitchen, furniture, computers, gaming systems, streaming services, internet, etc. We consume so much more and expect to than anyone from pre WW2 would have dreamt.

I don't know. When you realize minimum wage now is 40% lower (adjusted dollars) than it was in 1970, there's that. Maybe you are right. Those one-earner yesteryears weren't poverty families though, but families that had nice things, owned their own home, did much better than say, the Great Depression families recovering in the 30s. Again, I just don't know enough to know. I cannot argue consumerism isn't shoved down our throats all day long.

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese: Also... this was a high end receiver back in the day and it's funny to look a the inputs. VCR1, VCR2, LD, Phono, Cassete, CD, Tuner, Cab/Sat. Who/why would you need 2 VCRs back in the day?

Goodwill is where I found a high-end laserdisc player. I love looking for possibilities there. There was a Goodwill in Hollywood I'd go to, and I think there must have been a person who'd come in and steal the knobs. I remember items one day that had missing knobs the next, not sure what that was about.

Anyway, good on you! Fun

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I swear HGTV has been the cause for many stretching their money to full extent. Now everyone has to have high end countertops, latest hardwood and tile, and landscaping. Shows like House Hunters and the fixer uppers push all this and make it appear your house sucks otherwise. People used to live simpler.

I admit my wife and I used to watch HGTV regularly. She's an interior designer, so there's that. No, no one needs high end cabinets, but they should have cabinets that work, have handles, and match. They should have clean carpets that don't have stains, smells, and that aren't older than the kids. There's plenty of ways to upgrade that don't require huge remodels. Clean, bright and sunny, always.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Also... HGTV was rediculous about unrealistic expectations.
She's a stay at home mom, he sharpen's crayons for a living. Their budget? $1,200,000. Must haves include beachfront with dock access, mountain view, walk to city sights, and a large yard for their 15 Cocker Spaniels. Join us this week on House Hunters!
I know more than one person who lost their butt trying to flip houses Flippers style. Nothing prepares you for a life in real estate like computer programming!

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's like, they are 22 and can afford 500K? As a starter home? WTF? Or, "now I know it looks like a run down dump, but since the bank will give you 300K, and it's only 200K, you have 100K to update it." Does that really happen? Doesn't the bank say, no, you cannot borrow more than the house is CURRENTLY appraised for? Am I missing some golden nugget of truth here?

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Cutting the dogs nails went up.
Between that and her addiction to small hard round beef things. I told her she is going to have to get a job.
LTG : )

Maybe you can lease her out as a subwoofer.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yeah, well my wife just farted. Now our house smells too.

Women don't fart. At least, I grew up believing this.

#201 1 year ago

I could use my words to reply, but.... The moderators here wouldn't be able to remove my post fast enough if I used them. Glad our country is still a democratic republic. Yay, us.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I predict this will skirt right around moderation, the subtle presentation is impressive.

Somebody doesn't know what "no politics please" means. Which explains something else, but it would be impolite to point it out.

#205 1 year ago

If I post political, it's removed within a minute of my posting. Yet there that turd sits, reported and still steaming....

#213 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Just don't buy the wings. Are wings stupid high where you are at? Thighs and legs $0.99/lb, wings $3/lb

Seems to be a universal issue - wings are stupid expensive. Same with the drumettes.

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A drumette IS a wing!
Football season has consequences. That's why I'm voting pigs in a blanket, as always!

Yes, I know, I had to look it up before I posted to make certain I was referring to the right part. The drumette is the upper part of the wing, and the lower part is what we typically call a "wing". I see them sold separately.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from Damen:

I’m boycotting Sesame Street because of “inflation”.No more trips to Sesame place for me!
[quoted image]

Don't understand the hate. It's clear in the video the character was trying to do a no-hands hug.

#229 1 year ago

One thing I do to save money is play board games - another thread reminded me. It's fun, and costs nothing once you buy it. nice group activity, too. The new, modern board games - not the old Monopoly type of crud.

#231 1 year ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Agree, unless it takes more than 2 -3 mins to explain the rules.

Yeah, that's not a game I'd want to play. But there's one for every attention span! This crowd is exploding kittens and cards against humanity.

#234 1 year ago

Current favorites.

nemesis-board-game-review-8-1578288351 (resized).jpgnemesis-board-game-review-8-1578288351 (resized).jpgs-l400 (1) (resized).jpgs-l400 (1) (resized).jpg
#240 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That Nemesis game looks awesome. How hard is it to learn how to play for a group that has never played it before? Are there tutorials to help?

Nemesis is pretty much like Alien / Aliens. There are a lot of tutorials and playthroughs online. To be honest, it'll look complicated until you play through it once. I generally like to teach new people how to play, I try to step through as they need to know.

#245 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I had a 6s+ that was like new shape (thanks to otter box defender). But I could not pass up $1k trade in to Verizon existing customers. So I got 13pro max. I really need to cut cable out and just use streaming.
The best thing you can do is pay off any credit card debt. Inflation is nothing compared to 22-28% interest on credit card.
But dont toss this credit cards. Use them for rewards and pay everything with them. Just make sure you have funds to pay them off when the bill comes. I have not paid for ps3,ps4 or ps5. Just used rewards points.. get cash back rewards cards. Get cards that give you bonus for purchasing on their site (Best Buy used to, but Amazon still does).

I hadn't seen that offer. I also have Verizon? I do have too many CCs, don't use them but they have balances that never go down. After this group I've made a goal - a plan to pay them off. I have never found a card that gives anything back in benefits worth mentioning. As far as PS5, my company gave me one. It's what we do, so it's a little perk.

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

the current verizon program I think is $700 for any trade in upgrade(they may have set a min. age of phone, so 6 might be the cutoff).

Yeah, they didn't have that at all. Well, I don't have an issue staying with my current phone. Shame.

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Compared to other hobbies it is cheap, but at some point you can't walk out of the local game shop without spending less than a hundred. Then you look at your shelf and realize you have too many games still in plastic. You play a game like T.I.M.E. Stories where each expansion is $20 a pop and you won't play again. Still cheap though, all things considered.

I have the game, and three expansions. I have yet to play it once. Go figure.

#277 1 year ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I wish I did. There's no reason other than the obvious for this madness. Designed and planned elimination of the entire middle class. Who is at the wheel?

Obvious as a Russian invasion and a COVID epidemic. We are dealing with the falloff from both, but at least it's every country, not just the U.S.

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Yeah sure, the Russians
[quoted image]

If you don’t like facts, then go somewhere else. I can suggest a few places

#335 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

2 free checks totaling $2800 per person,

Nope. We saw nothing, which is right, the poor were targeted and those who lost their jobs

#339 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I made a comment about my "synthetic" transmission fluid being so much more expensive. The clerk tells me "he shut down the pipeline and sells all our reserves, that's why". It's gonna be the morons vs the abortion rights folks this next go around. There's a reason authoritarian regimes purge the educated. They question things...

I hate that some Americans are that uninformed (I won’t say stupid, just not willing to look at the facts)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-handling-inflation?tu=MtnFrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.