20220716_155319 (resized).jpg
20220716_161647 (resized).jpg
7A3FA12E-7CAE-4307-AD86-5F0FD3A92E9E (resized).png
185910AC-1217-482B-B7FE-995AB61DFF66 (resized).jpeg
sand1 (resized).jpg
D117173A-4910-475C-A24F-7A5076453A83.gif
1DFC6390-046A-4294-920B-3F1F999EFE72 (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 1 year ago

I just pay more for the things that I need.

And I wait for scalped items becoming available for MSRP. Just picked up a PS5 for MSRP at Target without silly reservations or memberships.

Maybe my GZ Premium becomes available sooner than expected because other people have to cancel. But then I won’t have space for it until 2023.

If I don’t get laid off, the inflation doesn't mean that much to me.

#52 1 year ago

loosening up my belt notch.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Everything beats Walmart. There is not a single priced item that can’t be found cheaper elsewhere. You sir have been duped…

For me, there is a quality of living aspect which does not permit me to shop at Walmart.
I like Costco and Target.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Borrowing was artificially cheap for way longer than I expected (over a decade!!) so I always tried to plan for those days ending

I refinanced last year and I’m so divided about

a)pay it off aggressively to save on some interest.
2) pay off slow cause it’s cheap to borrow.

#55 1 year ago

Thinking about going dipnetting this weekend. 65 salmon would fill the freezer. Haven't gone in a few years.

#56 1 year ago

I fill my tank up when it hits 2/3 full. Same as filling up the whole tank last year.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Everything beats Walmart. There is not a single priced item that can’t be found cheaper elsewhere. You sir have been duped…

I'm talking groceries dude. Sorry Walmart is cheaper than anything around here, this isnt a debate, it's fact.

#58 1 year ago

I bought 3 pinball machines in one!

4EF767CE-FB0C-4B2D-887C-B37F579F3B67 (resized).jpeg4EF767CE-FB0C-4B2D-887C-B37F579F3B67 (resized).jpeg
#59 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I bought 3 pinball machines in one!
[quoted image]

How much is that in emergency food supplies?

#61 1 year ago

I do home repairs and remodeling. Raised my rates 20% on hourly jobs as of the 1st of the year for my regulars and 40-60% on bid jobs. I'm booked for 2 months. With the labor shortage, just showing up and giving a price gets you the work. Never seen it so easy to get jobs ever.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I do home repairs and remodeling. Raised my rates 20% on hourly jobs as of the 1st of the year for my regulars and 40-60% on bid jobs. I'm booked for 2 months. With the labor shortage, just showing up and giving a price gets you the work. Never seen it so easy to get jobs ever.

Welcome to the reality of raising the min wage. All other wages have to rise along with it to make it “work.” Otherwise, all you do is make everyone that was making the new min prior to the wage increase poor.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Welcome to the reality of raising the min wage. All other wages have to rise along with it to make it “work.” Otherwise, all you do is make everyone that was making the new min prior to the wage increase poor.

Actually, that's not true. At least, according to the historical information for prior min wage increases. But I'm thinking we are getting too far off the path here. Some of us definitely need a raise to keep up.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Actually, that's not true. At least, according to the historical information for prior min wage increases. But I'm thinking we are getting too far off the path here. Some of us definitely need a raise to keep up.

I wish you were correct, but what we are seeing currently is not the case. All that’s been done is push more middle class folks below the poverty line.

#65 1 year ago

I agree in principle. I live in Central PA and in PA the minimum wage is currently $7.25. The governor is trying to raise that to $12 an hour. Around here Sheetz is paying $15+ an hour. And they can't hire enough people. The market determines wages, the government can try, but wages are market driven.

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I agree in principle. I live in Central PA and in PA the minimum wage is currently $7.25. The governor is trying to raise that to $12 an hour. Around here Sheetz is paying $15+ an hour. And they can't hire enough people. The market determines wages, the government can try, but wages are market driven.

Yup. When a wage is arbitrarily set, the market adjusts to reflect the value set.

#67 1 year ago

I wish you were correct, but what we are seeing currently is not the case. All that’s been done is push more middle class folks below the poverty line.

Well, I can give a lot of data and evidence to back my statements up, but this just isn't the forum for it. I do hope we see inflation comes down soon, though for that, I won't hold my breadth. Too many factors around the world in play.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Well, I can give a lot of data and evidence to back my statements up, but this just isn't the forum for it. I do hope we see inflation comes down soon, though for that, I won't hold my breadth. Too many factors around the world in play.

Not disagreeing. Historically you are spot on. What we are seeing now is not what we saw previously.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

America is a net exporter of all oil products and the largest energy producer in the World. Unfettered capitalism and greed (record profits) have more to do with current prices than domestic supply of energy products.

Not true when you try to restrict production and buy from Russia.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I'm talking groceries dude. Sorry Walmart is cheaper than anything around here, this isnt a debate, it's fact.

Sadly, this is truth. At least around here. I honestly don't give a damn where I shop, but what annoys me is how they pick and choose what they stock based on location and demographics. A store 20 miles away from another can have a completely different supply.

#71 1 year ago

It’s kind of funny to see someone say they’ve cut Netflix (like $15 a month) but then look at their collection of 15 pins.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

It’s kind of funny to see someone say they’ve cut Netflix (like $15 a month) but then look at their collection of 15 pins.

Why? Not all people finance their pins. Some bought in long ago. They can cut non essential items now then sell assets later.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

How else do you think he can pay for the increased shipping prices when ordering parts for all those machines. We all have sacrifices we're making out here.

#74 1 year ago

Work gain everyone a raise of 10%. First in 15 years.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Not true when you try to restrict production and buy from Russia.

This doesnt make any sense. We arent buying from Russia, aee you suggesting we should? The U.S. exports over 3 million barrels of oil a day. There is no shortage. Production is near all time highs. Oil companies are purposely not producing more because it would only drive the price down.

#76 1 year ago

When did the minimum wage get raised to cause all this change? It’s still the same it has been for years.

#77 1 year ago

My whole life I have mis-timed purchases and investments until the last 7 or 8 years. Bought house 7 years ago and have locked in 30 year fixed at 3%
Cars bought new 2017 and 2019 models at good deals now paid off. Old mustang paid off in 1987. I think those would be the biggest problems if you had to buy new cars and a house in todays market. Gas is the real killer. No getting around that. When the market has a really good sale on food you like, stock up.

I find it silly when people try to blame this current inflation on one party or the other. Many of the causes were beyond either sides control, and the policies put in place that certainly didn’t help things were bilaterally agreed upon. Both equally to blame.

185910AC-1217-482B-B7FE-995AB61DFF66 (resized).jpeg185910AC-1217-482B-B7FE-995AB61DFF66 (resized).jpeg
#78 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

When did the minimum wage get raised to cause all this change? It’s still the same it has been for years.

A federally mandated raise? Not yet. But to coerce folks back to work to wean them off handouts here in DFW almost all have raised their wages. Sadly, many jobs are still open. You may not see it in MI, but it’s happening, and it has a direct effect on MI.

#79 1 year ago

A federally mandated raise? Not yet. But to coerce folks back to work to wean them off handouts here in DFW almost all have raised their wages. Sadly, many jobs are still open. You may not see it in MI, but it’s happening, and it has a direct effect on MI.

We see it in MI. Every fast food place has signs up "starting at $14 an hour" where 2 years ago it was $9.50. I live off a pretty major road and Jimmy Johns closes at 6 every night because of staff issues. Mcdonalds is closed at 8 during the week and 10 on weekends for the same reason.

With some of the younger people making more money has really boosted my Jukes. They are going out and spending it. My Jukes are up 20% from precovid numbers but I am spending 30% more on everything else.

#80 1 year ago

Isn't this both a good thing and the private market forces at work? When you consider today's minimum wage is 40% LOWER than minimum wage in 1970 (adjusted dollars).

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

With some of the younger people making more money has really boosted my Jukes.

That's what happens, the economy is boosted. I feel I should mention a good number of those jobs are held by older adults just scraping by. Makes me sorry for cities without good public transport.

#82 1 year ago

I would have voted for "up the ass" if it was in the poll...

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

I would have voted for "up the ass" if it was in the poll...

Ouch. I know it's so much better than some, but I find costs keep my pinball restoration efforts to work with as much as I can, instead of ordering new right off the bat.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Isn't this both a good thing and the private market forces at work? When you consider today's minimum wage is 40% LOWER than minimum wage in 1970 (adjusted dollars).

If it was market driven, yes, but it’s not. If the market was driving the wage, the jobs would be filled.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

That's what happens, the economy is boosted. I feel I should mention a good number of those jobs are held by older adults just scraping by. Makes me sorry for cities without good public transport.

The economy is not boosted. The value of the dollar has been driven down.

#86 1 year ago

If it was market driven, yes, but it’s not. If the market was driving the wage, the jobs would be filled.

How is it not? There are no further gov assistance payments, haven't been for awhile.

#87 1 year ago

I work as a building engineer now but if anyone asks me I’m 100% a carpenter until I can’t anymore .As far as inflation goes ,I just work more which blows .When the pinbug consumed me 2.5 years ago I promised my wife I wouldn’t use family funds for it that I would work extra to buy these and it’s been doing well .Now the family fund does need some extra outside the norm so if anything it will cost me a NIB pin in the next year .Boo Hoo right ? I don’t really follow politics or anything that goes with that .Life is full of ups and downs but the key is to stay even .This being said I do feel for the people this is really putting a hurt on and I do help those I know in many ways .I’m old enough to know that things will even out eventually and I’m rooting for the hard working labor wages to rise as a result .Those that work hard labor jobs I really hope you get together and demand what your worth because you deserve it more than any ! In closing ,Pinball has been the best thing that happened to me as I have met a lot of great people buying / selling , the league I joined and exposing neighbors to something they didn’t know existed. My name is Kevin and Im a Pinhead for life

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I work as a building engineer now but if anyone asks me I’m 100% a carpenter until I can’t anymore .As far as inflation goes ,I just work more which blows .When the pinbug consumed me 2.5 years ago I promised my wife I wouldn’t use family funds for it that I would work extra to buy these and it’s been doing well .Now the family fund does need some extra outside the norm so if anything it will cost me a NIB pin in the next year .Boo Hoo right ? I don’t really follow politics or anything that goes with that .Life is full of ups and downs but the key is to stay even .This being said I do feel for the people this is really putting a hurt on and I do help those I know in many ways .I’m old enough to know that things will even out eventually and I’m rooting for the hard working labor wages to rise as a result .Those that work hard labor jobs I really hope you get together and demand what your worth because you deserve it more than any ! In closing ,Pinball has been the best thing that happened to me as I have met a lot of great people buying / selling , the league I joined and exposing neighbors to something they didn’t know existed. My name is Kevin and Im a Pinhead for life

Just gotta say, that makes me feel better during this time. Great attitude.

#89 1 year ago

Well, good to see as usual, a Pinside thread is off the rails. Went from subjective cases of dealing with inflation to....this.

You're the recent exception, @kkoss24.

#90 1 year ago

Sold my house and living in a trailer. It even has heated massaging seats with ambient lights

1DFC6390-046A-4294-920B-3F1F999EFE72 (resized).jpeg1DFC6390-046A-4294-920B-3F1F999EFE72 (resized).jpegE1BCD6AC-C0F8-4DD2-8A40-FD76417E66C9 (resized).jpegE1BCD6AC-C0F8-4DD2-8A40-FD76417E66C9 (resized).jpeg
#91 1 year ago

But to coerce folks back to work to wean them off handouts here in DFW almost all have raised their wages. Sadly, many jobs are still open.

Gee, imagine that... people wanting proper compensation for hard work.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/01/richest-one-percent-gained-trillions-in-wealth-2021.html.

Minimum wage is not the problem.

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Well, good to see as usual, a Pinside thread is off the rails. Went from subjective cases of dealing with inflation to....this.
You're the recent exception, Kkoss24.

if you want to discuss a hard topic but only
want to address what bothered you and not address all the aspects driving it, then I guess it’s off the rails.

#93 1 year ago

It’s a pain in the ass. New arcade games have gone up 50% in the last year it’s ridiculous! Thanks raw thrills!

#94 1 year ago

if you want to discuss a hard topic but only
want to address what bothered you and not address all the aspects driving it, then I guess it’s off the rails.

*re-reads the thread topic title*

Well...I mean... yep.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

*re-reads the thread topic*
Well...I mean... yep.

Guess I got to caught up in the replies. I still fill my tank at 2/3 of a tank at the same price.

#96 1 year ago

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about? You state the problem is all that extra money? Burn it. You actually have the power to fix it. Withdraw your cash and light that shit on fire. Problem solved. At the end of the day, that guy with 80+ billion is more the problem than anyone on this site or the poor people getting some handouts.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about? You state the problem is all that extra money? Burn it. You actually have the power to fix it. At the end of the day, that guy with 80+ billion is more the problem than anyone on this site or the poor people getting some handouts.

You sir have nailed it. The real issue is how they got to 80b, and who was along for the ride.

#98 1 year ago

I made the mistake of going to a regular grocery store last week - ouch. Ran back to Trader Joe’s. We also use Costco

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

We see it in MI. Every fast food place has signs up "starting at $14 an hour" where 2 years ago it was $9.50. I live off a pretty major road and Jimmy Johns closes at 6 every night because of staff issues. Mcdonalds is closed at 8 during the week and 10 on weekends for the same reason.
With some of the younger people making more money has really boosted my Jukes. They are going out and spending it. My Jukes are up 20% from precovid numbers but I am spending 30% more on everything else.

Man these fast food places are never open here for sure. Of course everyone stopped working with covid and then the $14+ Dollar signs came out; didn't help much

#100 1 year ago

I honestly don't feel bad shopping at Walmart. Around here, yes it is the cheapest. For day to day things, that is what you want. My issue with Walmart however is that the selection is vastly different from store to store, even if they are 20 miles apart.

We don't have a Costco really near us. We will occasionally hit Trader Joes because they have some good stuff you can't really get elsewhere.

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-handling-inflation/page/2?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.