(Topic ID: 21039)

How are you guys protecting your Xmen LE?

By Billmelater

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fattrain-Hat.JPG
    ChrisXmenProt2.JPG
    ChrisXmenProt1.JPG
    XMenPro1.jpg
    the-giant-condom.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I am interested to know what preventative measures that folks are taking to protect their XMEN LE's? cliffy's? mantis protectors? mylar?, etc. anybody doing anything? tks.

#2 11 years ago

I think when I get mine:
    - cliffy stern shooter protector
    - hard as nails on interior of scoop or cliffy
    - might try some of the cling vinyl Mylar substitute around wolverine and maybe try it on spinning disc to see if more grippy.
    - adjusting parts to be flush(if possible): magnets, night crawlers, disk

#3 11 years ago

mylar or fake mylar over the wolverine magnet/pf.
    mylar or fake mylar in the shooter lane.
    hard as nails on edge of scoop hole. tron mantis protector in the scoop hole (modified). Kerry should be working on a correct one.
    made sure spinning disc and nightcrawlers are level with pf.

#4 11 years ago

Im building one of these in my back yard. I will move X into it and play there for safety.

the-giant-condom.jpgthe-giant-condom.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Chris' testing looking good!

XMenPro1.jpgXMenPro1.jpg ChrisXmenProt1.JPGChrisXmenProt1.JPG ChrisXmenProt2.JPGChrisXmenProt2.JPG

#6 11 years ago

My cliffys have cliffys.

#7 11 years ago

Cliffy,

Do you have these available?

#8 11 years ago

Those look great, Cliffy! Works perfectly with the yellow outline.

#9 11 years ago

That looks great Cliffster! I love the way it hugs the yellow paint lines on the PF!

#11 11 years ago

I ordered the Iron Man magnet protector from Marco and is a 100% perfect fit and it even had a notch in the exact same place needed for the Wolverine mount. Now I have a spare as the kit comes with two.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

That looks great Cliffster! I love the way it hugs the yellow paint lines on the PF!

I'm really liking how the art was laid out on this playfield too. Borgs paint makes my protector look good! So, Justin, is you going to CAX or is you testing my protector?

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Do you have these available?

Not quite yet Hank. I need to let my testers test for a bit.

#14 11 years ago

Cliffy these look fantastic, so when are they ready for order?

#15 11 years ago

Well at least it used same shooter lane protector as AC/DC.

I feel only half protected though

#16 11 years ago

You will probably need to make cliffys for the Nightcrawler targets since everybody is starting to worry about possible wear because of the gap.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

You will probably need to make cliffys for the Nightcrawler targets since everybody is starting to worry about possible wear because of the gap.

If they're level it won't be an issue...if you're paranoid, a little mylar in front of each Nightcrawler will do the trick.

#18 11 years ago

Mine is fully protected because it sits idle not played until a code update is released that properly at least counts scoring

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Mine is fully protected because it sits idle not played until a code update is released that properly at least counts scoring

Too true, my friend, too true.

#20 11 years ago

Sad I am going to be really jelous of this machine when the code is finally working good.

It looks to be great and everything you would want playwise anyways.

And as always Cliffy the protector looks very nice.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Not quite yet Hank. I need to let my testers test for a bit.

They look great. I'm in for them as soon as you approve them for mass distribution Cliffy! Thanks!

#22 11 years ago

Leg protectors on the bolts.

I put a fake mylar over the drop on the left return lane off of the ramp. The right side had mylar from the factory.

I also put a strip of fake mylar on the left wall of the left ramp where the ball from the Iceman ramp dumps in (already made some marks).

Cliffy protector on the shooter eject area.

Big metal plate protector for the right side of the shooter lane.

I'm planning on a Mantis & a Cliffy combo for the scoop when available.

I'm on the fence about mylar in the shooter lane, around the magnet, disc or Nightcrawlers.

I also put a couple of spots of fake mylar under a couple of plastics that are going to get some screw wear from below. One spot is right above the adjustable post on the right outlane. The plastic sits on a screw and mine already had a couple of scratches out of it. The other is on the plastic that is just to the left of the blue pad on the back diverter. The same thing...plastic sitting on a screw that will mark it up if not protected.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

You will probably need to make cliffys for the Nightcrawler targets

Pinbits is already starting to make precision laser cut mylars for the pop up targets ala MM Trolls.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm planning on a Mantis & a Cliffy combo for the scoop when available

Unlike many other protector the ones for Tron and X-Men probably won't work with my good friend Kerry's, I'm afraid

#25 11 years ago

Why is there a notch on the top of scoop protector? So it can be squeezed into place? Just wondering in the context of a good cliffy side effect could be keeping the ball from dribbling in from the pops.. The notch on that side offers less discouragement .

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Why is there a notch on the top of scoop protector? So it can be squeezed into place? Just wondering in the context of a good cliffy side effect could be keeping the ball from dribbling in from the pops.. The notch on that side offers less discouragement .

Wondering the same thing. Looks like the notch is right where the ball normally enters the scoop hole on the LH side. Is this intentional to try and prevent altering game play (even though that would be fine with me because I am not a fan of the ball falling into the hole all the time)? If so, how will that prevent wear at the main roll over location?

Scott

#27 11 years ago

On tron he did it to stop the ball from hanging up. It works great.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Pinbits is already starting to make precision laser cut mylars for the pop up targets ala MM Trolls.

Nice work on that protector Cliffy!

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyboy6:

Wondering the same thing. Looks like the notch is right where the ball normally enters the scoop hole on the LH side. Is this intentional to try and prevent altering game play (even though that would be fine with me because I am not a fan of the ball falling into the hole all the time)? If so, how will that prevent wear at the main roll over location?
    Scott

I would have to agree, I think in the case of XMEN, I would prefer a solid protector thus keeping slow rollers out of the hole rather than them falling in the majority of the time.

Tks,

Jay

#30 11 years ago

I'm really liking how the art was laid out on this playfield too. Borgs paint makes my protector look good! So, Justin, is you going to CAX or is you testing my protector?

Going to CAX! (AND testing your protector )

I'll be @ CAX All Day Saturday. Just Look for this hat

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billmelater:

I would have to agree, I think in the case of XMEN, I would prefer a solid protector thus keeping slow rollers out of the hole rather than them falling in the majority of the time.
    Tks,
    Jay

Cliffy, can you off the protector in both versions? With and without the notch?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billmelater:

argh. and if the ball just ends up hanging there? You guys would crucify me Everyone who wanted the un-notched Tron protector swore up and down they would tolerate the occasional hang and just nudge it in. In the end everyone has sent them back requesting a notched version. So my dilemma is do I spend the dough to basically go backwards and risk your wrath? sigh.... I guess I will

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

argh. and if the ball just ends up hanging there? You guys would crucify me Everyone who wanted the un-notched Tron protector swore up and down they would tolerate the occasional hang and just Nudge it in. In the end everyone has sent them back requesting a notched version. So my dilemma is do I spend the dough to basically go backwards and risk your wrath? sigh.... I guess I will

I want the same 50/50 chance of going in I have now! So I guess you need to make three

Interested to see how you will engineer that one....

#34 11 years ago

ok well i wasn't aware of the TRON problem with hangups... and it seems bizarre that a non notched one would actually stop the ball... was assuming a dribbling ball that bumps into the edge of the protector without enough energy to go over the cliffy edge, would simply trace the cliffy/PF interface downward until it's clear of the cliffy.

If you do attempt a non-notch count me in as a volunteer.

#35 11 years ago

I didn't realize you make one like this on Tron with a notch Cliffy.

So back to my other question - for those Tron owners out there with a notched Cliffy, do you notice any wear on the edge of the hole at the notch?

Scott

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

was assuming a dribbling ball that bumps into the edge of the protector without enough energy to go over the cliffy edge, would simply trace the cliffy/PF interface downward until it's clear of the cliffy.

Not necessarily. There is a set of posts to the left of the hole and the ball could hang against the posts and the edge of the protector. This was Tron's issue.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyboy6:

for those Tron owners out there with a notched Cliffy, do you notice any wear on the edge of the hole at the notch?

I don't know about others but on the game I've got here there has been no signs of wear in the exposed are the notch leaves. This is probably because it doesn't take any direct hits, only slow rolls from the right. It's also perhaps too early to tell?

#38 11 years ago

How does this notch help with that though since looking at it in your standalone photo Above, its half way down the protector away from anything else? Disclaimer: I don't have my game yet so may be missing something

Quoted from Cliffy:

Not necessarily. There is a set of posts to the left of the hole and the ball could hang against the posts and the edge of the protector. This was Tron's issue.

#39 11 years ago

Look at the second pic. See the white rubber rings on the left? If you follow the bottom centerline of the ball off the rings it lines up with where I put the notch. That same ball centerline will not roll past the scoop. Basically it is destined to end up in the scoop.

#40 11 years ago

Ohh I think I get it now. I was missing that it was the left rubber ring vs just coming down from pops. So left rubber ring to cliffy edge is less than / right at a ball width, so could get stuck.

#41 11 years ago

ok still thinking.. Cliffy, is there something about your machining setup that makes the lip have to be all the same width.. if you could make the left hand side lip narrower than the rest, would that open the gap up between the left rubbers and cliffy lip such that it's more than a ball width / wouldn't hang? I grant though that aesthetically, this may look odd ball.

4 weeks later
    #42 11 years ago

I just ordered the scoop protector from Cliffy- should have it later this week. I have to say that it's always a pleasure to deal with Cliff- great guy! He make great stuff. I always buy his Cliffy protectors and install them in my games before I play game 1.

#43 11 years ago

I'm a bit torn whether a Mantis or Cliffy protector is better for the scoop. How does each of them fit with the sloped edges of the scoop? Trying to mentally envision the fit it seems the Cliffy might interfere with the 50% chance of the ball dropping into the scoop on the left edge, and with the Mantis I'm not sure I understand how it would protect the top edge wear due to the sloping edge, meaning neither protector has a perfectly tight fit.

#45 11 years ago

Get the cliffy with the notch. I can't stand the ball always falling into the scoop with no protector on it. Cliffy with notch and it can still dribble in from the left side, but at the same time not happen so damn often. I think it's perfect.

#46 11 years ago

I don't know about the Mantis one, I didn't look into it. I installed the Cliffy (notched version) yesterday and it fits tight, looks great and I am still getting the ball dropping in the scoop from the left.

#47 11 years ago

I will install the mantis protector on my PRO when it arrives and post my thoughts.

#48 11 years ago

I have a test notchless cliffy and I like it.. it might *slightly* reduce the dribbles in but I'm very ok with that.

#49 11 years ago

+1 for a notched Cliffy.

I like that that some balls go in from the left and some balls don't. I honestly never had a problem before if a ball either went in or stayed out, but what would get me between the flippers before I put the protector on was when a ball would roll to the right like it was going to go in, but then just lip the scoop hole and come out of the area straight between the flippers.

The protector does a great job of telling the ball to "MAKE UP YOUR MIND! In or Out!" without the lipped balls from the scoop draining on me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-guys-protecting-your-xmen-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.