(Topic ID: 217119)

How are you adding wax to your playfield?

By Schamattack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    colonel (resized).jpg
    3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg
    zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Messages Image(80082350) (resized).png
    9 (resized).jpg
    11dagelico (resized).jpg
    IMG_0885 (resized).JPG
    CFD1B18E-3F09-4B2C-AAF0-DE2C076D5EAA.gif
    57AD0BB5-387A-47D6-9704-81F7AD4AF513 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Again, not real wax.

We strive to make quality products that are easy to use, and can guarantee the Creamy Carnauba, and One Step Carnauba ARE MADE of natural brazilian carnauba wax. Unlike many other products that contain no wax at all, we worked over 6 months with industry professionals testing and developing the perfect product for us. We opted for liquid Carnauba because of its ease of application and natural cleaning properties.

Greg M
    Pinhedz.com

IMG_0885 (resized).JPGIMG_0885 (resized).JPG

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, that's a first. Pretty much every liquid spray & wipe wax I had seen so far was basically the same. I had no reason to believe this one was different when I saw it mentioned.
    Can you share roughly how much of it is carnauba wax, and what the other major ingredients are?

None of the spray products are wax, do not claim to be, nor are the supposed to be. The sprays are either UV protectant for vinyl cabinets, or a wax safe quick wipe for the playfield, plastics, rubber. Seems there are a lot of assumptions being made and false statements. I am not here to debate which products are “the best” use what you like. I am just clearing up the FALSE statements. Making a statement that there in no wax in our .... um carnauba wax.... is interesting. I clearly you do not know.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Im a stickler for keeping my machines new looking. I picked up a couple kits from Mezel Mods, they work well for different situations, like full on waxing vs a quick wipe down.
    https://mezelmods.com/collections/pinhedz-pinball-machine-cleaner
    I also use plexi-clean on my plastic ramps.
    https://na.suzohapp.com/products/cleaning_maintenance/29-1175-10
    Hope this helps

Thanks for trying Pinhedz, glad you like the products and have had a good experience. I appreciate an actual user sharing their experience.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

What is wax and why should I use it?

Carnauba wax is used in a variety automobile waxes, food products, dental floss, candles, instruments, shoe polish, and floor and furniture waxes and polishes. It is all natural, plant based wax that comes from the Carnauba Palm tree in South America. Carnauba is fairly expensive so many car products have switched to the higher performing longer lasting polymers. These are great for UV resistance as well as dirt and water repelling qualities. Many car enthusiasts use both. Polymers give optimal protection and last longer (don't wash away as easy) but the deep beautiful shine from carnauba is unbeatable.

So why wax a playfield? The deep shine is caused by an actual layer of wax, this wax does make it look nice, more importantly the wax layer acts as a barrier between the steel ball and the playfield paint. It protects the playfield adding extra life and years to your game. Dirt wipes off easily and evidence of ball travel is prevented. Eventually the wax does wear off and needs reapplied. It's a low cost simple preventative measure to get more years out of your playfield.

Why not use polymers on your game? While polymers offer some of the same protective qualities as wax, they don't leave that thick layer. The primary reason for waxing is to add the protective layer and help prevent ball wear. So a polymer might be good for some added UV protection but your primary goal would be the application of a wax for the "protective layer"

What kind to use? That's always the big debate. Choosing Carnauba is the starting point. Since most products are not meant for Pinball, trial and error is next, seeing what works for you and what doesn't. Certainly checking in areas to be sure it doesn't damage the game or its plastics, avoiding abrasives unless you want them. The problem is a large container lasts forever, and can be expensive. So trying lots of products mean lots of money. Some products out there that have no wax at all, and those are usually cleaners and will need wax added afterward.

Greg
    Pinhedz.com

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schamattack:

Ok so in my defense to all of this... I just asked how to apply... Not what wax to use.

I would recommend following the manufacturers directions, only because products may vary.

This is it in a nut shell - Use a CLEAN microfiber towel or applicator and apply to a prepared and cleaned playfield. Apply evenly every where you want the wax, some recommend a swirl motion, some in a straight line. Allow to dry and buff of residue with a CLEAN microfiber towel to prevent additional scratching.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.