(Topic ID: 217119)

How are you adding wax to your playfield?

By Schamattack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    colonel (resized).jpg
    3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg
    zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Messages Image(80082350) (resized).png
    9 (resized).jpg
    11dagelico (resized).jpg
    IMG_0885 (resized).JPG
    CFD1B18E-3F09-4B2C-AAF0-DE2C076D5EAA.gif
    57AD0BB5-387A-47D6-9704-81F7AD4AF513 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Additionally, according to the safety sheet, it contains petroleum distillates

All waxes contain a certain amount of petroleum distillates. Yes, all of them.

It is a matter of what types and what percentages are used.

If you find a wax that claims to not have any petroleum distillates, please let me know.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

All the information, choices, disputes and arguments ultimately got to me. I no longer buy wax, or “wax” or anything that’s supposed to simulate wax.
    I just have bikini and lingerie models sit on my playfield.

Pics or it didn't happen.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Free shipping with prime and no sales tax yet.
    I have both waxes, they are very similar. I like P21S better.
    Seems to make less white dust for me.

I bought Blitz wax many years ago for one of my cars. I hated that crap so much that I literally wound up throwing the jar in the trash. Not only did it dust really badly, but it also attracted dust to the paint like a magnet after applying. Not what you want on a black car.

P21S is great!

#101 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The MSDS showed 25-50% for plexus.

There are a few paste waxes that specifically say that they don't contain it.

Please, do share. And be sure to include the MSDS.

#104 5 years ago

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable.

https://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I linked to it earlier in the thread.

I did not see you link to a wax that claimed to not use any petroleum distillates.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think it's a coincidence that two completely different carnauba paste waxes don't have an MSDS published.

Thanks for admitting that you are guessing.

The term petroleum distillates includes things that would not be considered "poisonous, flammable, or corrosive." And that was my entire point. Your posts were inferring that any wax that contains petroleum distillates is not a good wax, and that is wrong.

Chap Stick contains petroleum distillates. I am assuming that those are not "poisonous, flammable or corrosive" but I could be wrong.

Messages Image(80082350) (resized).pngMessages Image(80082350) (resized).png

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Must not have been Blitz, because Blitz does not make any dust or flakes at all.
    All my cars and trucks are black.

It was 100% definitely Blitz wax.

Like I said, this was many years ago (more than 10) so it is entirely possible, if not probable, that they have reformulated their wax so that it does not dust or attract dust like it used to.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

None of the spray products are wax, do not claim to be, nor are the supposed to be. The sprays are either UV protectant for vinyl cabinets, or a wax safe quick wipe for the playfield, plastics, rubber. Seems there are a lot of assumptions being made and false statements being made

Indeed.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's not correct. They are flammable, hence the reason they are listed on MSDS's.

Like I said, I could be wrong!

I am still of the opinion that all waxes contain petroleum distillates. This issue has been discussed in various auto detailing forums. I will repeat from my prior post:

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable.

So oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha have to be used in order to make the wax workable. Naptha = petroleum distillate. Oil = petroleum distillate (unless they are using some kind of plant based oil which I doubt).

Again, please let me know what wax manufacturer is specifically claiming that they "do not use any petroleum distillates" in their wax.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They claim the formula is exactly the same since the 1961 reformulation.
    You probably bought a bootleg product, filled with Blast 1 wax.

Yes, I'm sure that's it. How could someone not bootleg a $12 can of wax and make millions! Just too tempting.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$12 ????
    Then you KNOW it was bootleg, cuz Blitz is $30 a can.
    But seriously, I bought a bunch of Duracell D batteries and they leaked and killed my expensive 6-cell Maglite flashlight.
    I sent the Maglite back to Duracell for "free repair or replacement" and it turns out the Duracell batteries were counterfeit.
    Maglite still replaced the flashlight, and included six genuine Duracell batteries.
    That's a company that stands by their counterfeit products!
    If someone will bootleg a $1 battery, they will bootleg anything.....in the US marketplace:
    8% of all brand name clothing is counterfeit.
    4% of all pharmaceuticals are counterfeit.
    7.3% of all consumer electronic products are counterfeit.
    29% of all watches are counterfeit (yes, that's a crazy high number).
    40% of all wallets and purses are counterfeit.

You are right though, it actually was nearly $30 a can even back when I bought it more than 10 years ago. Wax prices have not changed much.

And my brother loves his Rolecks watch!

Edit: and it actually is extremely easy to counterfeit a wax. Anyone can call a company like Chemical Guys and have them do a formulation for them and they can simply slap on any label that they want.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm aware there needs to be other ingredients mixed in, however, the only additives I'm aware of are the ones included on the MSDS's, since those are health hazards in some way.

I just tried emailing one grand to ask about whether or not blitz wax contains petroleum distillates or not, but the address bounced

Anything listed on a MSDS for wax is very likely to be a petroleum distillate, no?

I appreciate you sending an email to Blitz, I would be interested in their response, but I was asking for a wax company who claims, in their marketing (not in private) that they do not use petroleum distillates. I would think that this would be a huge marketing tool given that there is so much misconception about them being bad.

You said:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

The MSDS showed 25-50% for plexus.

There are a few paste waxes that specifically say that they don't contain it.

Which few specifically say that? That's what I'm asking.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I personally use Colinite Fleetwax 885. No idea the formulation, but it works excellent and is easy to work in.
    I’ve tried Blitz and threw it in the garbage too. Just wasn’t very easy to use IMO and left shit everywhere.

I have a friend on this forum (tempted to call him out but I will show some restraint!) who uses Blitz and told me the same thing regarding leaving shit everywhere. He described them as tiny little balls. He says he used very little too.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Are you asking for a Carnauba wax that does NOT contain Petroleum Distillates?
    There are a bunch of them.
    For instance Zymol Glasur does not.
    It even lists it's full ingredients on the label
    Ingredients: Yellow Carnauba Wax 56% (100% yellow by volume), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Propolis (derived from bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Yellow #5.

Ok, so they do use a plant based oil. The irony is that Zymol is a great looking wax but is generally regarded as not lasting long at all.

Had to look up Cetyl Esters. "Cetyl Esters Wax, Synthetic, NF is also known as cetyl palmitate and is the ester from cetyl alcohol and palmitic acid."

#143 5 years ago

If anything, you put too much on!

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

None of this has changed in 10-15 years .. and besides the rides of the Polymer products in the last 20 years... none of this has changed in 50+ years.

The ceramic coatings are the newest thing in terms of paint protection.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, I kind of lump those together with the polymers even tho I know they are different.. lazy on my part
    There is a lot to say about the ease of application for the polymers vs waxes... but I've not retired my waxes on black cars yet

Have you tried one of the consumer versions of a ceramic coating? Pretty easy to apply. Just go slow and be careful and you will have no problems. The cost is a lot higher than most waxes, but I think it's worth it, especially since I have become more lazy and don't have the time and energy to wax my vehicles every few months.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I have not. Unfortunately since my back surgeries my cars suffer and only get the bare minimums and look like every other car on the road :/ takes too much out of me to work the full car through the multiple passes in a single day any more

I hear that. It's hard enough doing that work with a healthy back.

2 weeks later
    #174 5 years ago

S100 is a great wax.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobT.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield?tu=RobT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.