(Topic ID: 217119)

How are you adding wax to your playfield?

By Schamattack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    colonel (resized).jpg
    3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg
    zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Messages Image(80082350) (resized).png
    9 (resized).jpg
    11dagelico (resized).jpg
    IMG_0885 (resized).JPG
    CFD1B18E-3F09-4B2C-AAF0-DE2C076D5EAA.gif
    57AD0BB5-387A-47D6-9704-81F7AD4AF513 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I don’t. I use Plexus. 50 bucks a can and protects way better

This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4

That's not wax. That's a cleaner/polish of some sort, and that type of cleaner is abrasive.

Additionally, according to the safety sheet, it contains petroleum distillates, isobutate, and propane.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/pdf/plexus-safety-data-sheet.pdf

Petroleum distillates will cloud plastics, and isobutane can be used as a solvent.

Combination products like this are more harmful than helpful.

It also looks like it contains a bit of silicon, which contains very little long term protection. A couple games, and it's gone. Plus it's responsible for fish eye on playfields.

So basically, it's pretty close to pledge. Pledge would be cheaper and do pretty much the same thing.

[edit]: Yep, it's basically pledge. https://www.google.com/search?q=pledge+vs+plexus

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

It’s a polymer nothing like pledge at all. Trust me

Nothing in the SDS PDF seems to describe anything like that. Where is that claim made?

I'm seeing that some of the advertising claims to protect polymers and resins, but it doesn't seem to say that it actually includes any polymers.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Mother's carnauba California brazilian gold wax paste
    Non abrasive
    amazon.com link »

It contains a significant amount of solvents (25-50% naphtha), so it's not actually pure carnauba wax, despite what the label says.

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/a1/a1eec4cf-efa9-43f8-b7c2-e7ea724735d5.pdf
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There's also some turpentine thrown in, and I'm not sure exactly what that is supposed to be doing in there.

Also, if I'm reading this right, it also seems to contain paraffin wax oil, which is not carnauba wax. Paraffin wax is derived from petroleum, not palm trees (where carnauba wax comes from).

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

O wow, can they just claim to be carnauba then?

That's exactly what I'm wondering.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Novus 1 then Novus 2 for my games.

Novus 1 is a cleaner, novus 2 is an abrasive.

You shouldn't be using them as a wax--neither of them is.

Use novus 2 sparingly--it is intended to wear down surfaces to smooth out scratches.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Are you sure your looking at the same product
    http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html
    Read the last 5/6 paragraphs especially

That's all PR, embellishment, and advertising. The facts are in the safety data sheet.

#49 5 years ago

I understand folks wanting to be thrifty, but a lot of these products are cheap for a reason--most aren't even real wax.

Most are just a mix of Silicone and solvents--not real wax.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Im a stickler for keeping my machines new looking. I picked up a couple kits from Mezel Mods, they work well for different situations, like full on waxing vs a quick wipe down.
    https://mezelmods.com/collections/pinhedz-pinball-machine-cleaner
    I also use plexi-clean on my plastic ramps.
    https://na.suzohapp.com/products/cleaning_maintenance/29-1175-10
    Hope this helps

Again, not real wax.

[edit]: The manufacturer just posted about their product here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield/page/2#post-4404813

#64 5 years ago

Polish typically means the product contains abrasive particles. Although, there are compounds that use chemical reactions in order to polish certain materials. I doubt that there is a chemical reaction happening, since the product is basically made of solvents and silicone, and anything causing a chemical reaction would likely be listed on the MSDS, especially since it would be a reactant ingredient (all its flammable properties and potential health hazards would need to be listed).

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

We strive to make quality products that are easy to use, and can guarantee the Creamy Carnauba, and One Step Carnauba ARE MADE of natural brazilian carnauba wax. Unlike many other products that contain no wax at all, we worked over 6 months with industry professionals testing and developing the perfect product for us. We opted for liquid Carnauba because of its ease of application and natural cleaning properties.
    Greg M
    Pinhedz.com

Well, that's a first. Pretty much every liquid spray & wipe wax I had seen so far was basically the same. I had no reason to believe this one was different when I saw it mentioned.

Can you share roughly how much of it is carnauba wax, and what the other major ingredients are?

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

and it is a trade secrete.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'll take a known wax over an untestable claim and an unnamed "protectent".

Same here. I saw silicone mentioned in the MSDS, and I'd avoid it just because of that.

Silicone probably doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to windshields and headlights. It does matter for playfield restoration.

Quoted from hoby1:

it will actually smooth the surface causing less friction

That sounds like abrasive polish to me. There are different grades of the particles that do get used in polish (like the difference between novus 2 and novus 3), so it could be ultra fine particles being used in this product.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Thank you for making the effort to call the manufacturer.

Yep, thanks for the legwork and follow-up

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It is a matter of what types and what percentages are used.

The MSDS showed 25-50% for plexus.

Quoted from RobT:

All waxes contain a certain amount of petroleum distillates. Yes, all of them.

There are a few paste waxes that specifically say that they don't contain it.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Please, do share. And be sure to include the MSDS.

I linked to it earlier in the thread.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I did not see you link to a wax that claimed to not use any petroleum distillates.

Oh, thought you were asking for the MSDS for plexus.

There appears to be no MSDS's available for P21S or Blitz according to the databases I searched. An MSDS is typically required when there is something poisonous, flammable, corrosive, or reactive in a product--a lot of solvents fall under that umbrella. I don't think it's a coincidence that two completely different carnauba paste waxes don't have an MSDS published.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The term petroleum distillates includes things that would not be considered "poisonous, flammable, or corrosive." And that was my entire point.

That's not correct. They are flammable, hence the reason they are listed on MSDS's.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #126 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I am still of the opinion that all waxes contain petroleum distillates. This issue has been discussed in various auto detailing forums. I will repeat from my prior post:

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable.

I'm aware there needs to be other ingredients mixed in, however, the only additives I'm aware of are the ones included on the MSDS's, since those are health hazards in some way.

Quoted from RobT:

Again, please let me know what wax manufacturer is specifically claiming that they "do not use any petroleum distillates" in their wax.

I just tried emailing one grand to ask about whether or not blitz wax contains petroleum distillates or not, but the address bounced

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.