(Topic ID: 217119)

How are you adding wax to your playfield?

By Schamattack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    colonel (resized).jpg
    3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg
    zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Messages Image(80082350) (resized).png
    9 (resized).jpg
    11dagelico (resized).jpg
    IMG_0885 (resized).JPG
    CFD1B18E-3F09-4B2C-AAF0-DE2C076D5EAA.gif
    57AD0BB5-387A-47D6-9704-81F7AD4AF513 (resized).jpeg
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 5 years ago

I'm gonna have to try the ceramic. The conclusion our detail shops came to after trying most every product was that most polymer Teflon sealants were fairly similar. We would put carnuba on top of the polymer Teflon after it cured. Pretty much a 3 day process. Ceramic sounds right to me from Rob has said. And even though it sounds expensive, the time and effort involved will probably make it worth it to me.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Have you tried one of the consumer versions of a ceramic coating? Pretty easy to apply. Just go slow and be careful and you will have no problems. The cost is a lot higher than most waxes, but I think it's worth it, especially since I have become more lazy and don't have the time and energy to wax my vehicles every few months.

I have not. Unfortunately since my back surgeries my cars suffer and only get the bare minimums and look like every other car on the road :/ takes too much out of me to work the full car through the multiple passes in a single day any more

#153 5 years ago

Ok so in my defense to all of this... I just asked how to apply... Not what wax to use.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schamattack:

Ok so in my defense to all of this... I just asked how to apply... Not what wax to use.

Use a regular round applicator pad or fine sponge and apply as little as possible.

Wipe off when dry. Then buff with a microfiber cloth to a shine.

#155 5 years ago

Stupid question... I'm using Meguiras gold class wax, on average how long does it take to dry?

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Stupid question... I'm using Meguiras gold class wax, on average how long does it take to dry?

Depends on the humidity and temperture of the location.

Generally if its hazy white its dry, if its still "green" its just a mess.

This happens a lot if the wax was was applied to thick.
    You only need a tiny amount.

Properly applied it should look like greasy fingerprints not icing on a cake.

On some humid days that I thought the wax was less dry than I wanted, I used a hair dryer to finish drying it.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Depends on the humidity and temperture of the location.
    Generally if its hazy white its dry, if its still "green" its just a mess.
    This happens a lot if the wax was was applied to thick.
    You only need a tiny amount.
    Properly applied it should look like greasy fingerprints not icing on a cake.
    On some humid days that I thought the wax was less dry than I wanted, I used a hair dryer to finish drying it.

On a 20 year old can of wax, the petroleum driers are often replaced by water from the air.
    This wax is unpredictable and often leads to a big mess.

The best results are with fairly fresh wax.

Dont use wax you find out in a shed in a rusty can, or wax you got at a garage sale for 25 cents.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I have not. Unfortunately since my back surgeries my cars suffer and only get the bare minimums and look like every other car on the road :/ takes too much out of me to work the full car through the multiple passes in a single day any more

I hear that. It's hard enough doing that work with a healthy back.

#159 5 years ago

What is wax and why should I use it?

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schamattack:

to answer your original question, I put it on with my fingers, i like how the heat from your fingers melts it onto the PF. I use Blitz 2k.

Also keep in mind you really never have to get any closer to the posts/rails than 3/8", the ball never contacts any closer.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from tadowhere:

What is wax and why should I use it?

Carnauba wax is used in a variety automobile waxes, food products, dental floss, candles, instruments, shoe polish, and floor and furniture waxes and polishes. It is all natural, plant based wax that comes from the Carnauba Palm tree in South America. Carnauba is fairly expensive so many car products have switched to the higher performing longer lasting polymers. These are great for UV resistance as well as dirt and water repelling qualities. Many car enthusiasts use both. Polymers give optimal protection and last longer (don't wash away as easy) but the deep beautiful shine from carnauba is unbeatable.

So why wax a playfield? The deep shine is caused by an actual layer of wax, this wax does make it look nice, more importantly the wax layer acts as a barrier between the steel ball and the playfield paint. It protects the playfield adding extra life and years to your game. Dirt wipes off easily and evidence of ball travel is prevented. Eventually the wax does wear off and needs reapplied. It's a low cost simple preventative measure to get more years out of your playfield.

Why not use polymers on your game? While polymers offer some of the same protective qualities as wax, they don't leave that thick layer. The primary reason for waxing is to add the protective layer and help prevent ball wear. So a polymer might be good for some added UV protection but your primary goal would be the application of a wax for the "protective layer"

What kind to use? That's always the big debate. Choosing Carnauba is the starting point. Since most products are not meant for Pinball, trial and error is next, seeing what works for you and what doesn't. Certainly checking in areas to be sure it doesn't damage the game or its plastics, avoiding abrasives unless you want them. The problem is a large container lasts forever, and can be expensive. So trying lots of products mean lots of money. Some products out there that have no wax at all, and those are usually cleaners and will need wax added afterward.

Greg
    Pinhedz.com

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schamattack:

I would recommend following the manufacturers directions, only because products may vary.

This is it in a nut shell - Use a CLEAN microfiber towel or applicator and apply to a prepared and cleaned playfield. Apply evenly every where you want the wax, some recommend a swirl motion, some in a straight line. Allow to dry and buff of residue with a CLEAN microfiber towel to prevent additional scratching.

#163 5 years ago

I added it last night. I did 4 coats of mothers after about 2 hours of novus 2 cleaning. The playfield had never been cleaned before. Here's some before and after.

20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg

20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg

#164 5 years ago

Its funny...... when we talk about this subject we really should seperate the question into clear coated and non cleared playfields.

Just a thought.

#165 5 years ago

This was in a machine I recently purchased. Anybody have any info on this?

3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

After 15 years would it still be a “trade secret”?

Ask the colonel

colonel (resized).jpgcolonel (resized).jpg

Quoted from eagle18:

Probably a mix of a few things

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

It's Canadian, so its probably made from moose meat and hockey pucks.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys that are getting flakes or balls of wax are doing it WAY wrong, lol. Especially if you are using Blitz.
    Ramrod: Vid, you brought 2 Glocks???
    Vid: Yeah, of course.
    R: I hate Glocks!
    V: How the hell can you hate the most well designed sidearm in the world?
    R: Because there is no Safety Latch. I friggin' shot myself in the face with a Glock!
    V: We call that user error....

VID, I'm sure you've answered this a hundred times, but what were they doing wrong. Were they not heating the wax up enough? Also how do you recommend heating up the wax, if at all?

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

VID, I'm sure you've answered this a hundred times, but what were they doing wrong. Were they not heating the wax up enough? Also how do you recommend heating up the wax, if at all?

No need to heat up the wax.

Just do a small 4x4" section, until you figure out how little wax you actually need.

If you get any flakes, or white dust, you used 100x the amount you actually need

1 week later
    #171 5 years ago

I recently got the Blitz wax from Pinball Life which Vid recommends in his Cleaning and Waxing Pinball Machines thread (nothing but the best for my grail pin!) and will be using it as soon as I finish cleaning the playfield.

#172 5 years ago

I just got this today it is awesome.

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    #173 5 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I just got this today it is awesome.

I have been using S100 also and i am happy with the results. In fact, i used it last night on my MET!

#174 5 years ago

S100 is a great wax.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield/page/4?hl=jamesmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.