(Topic ID: 217119)

How are you adding wax to your playfield?

By Schamattack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FEC2CED-5781-47EB-A4F0-769ECEC5D06A (resized).png
    colonel (resized).jpg
    3FC43EC3-E71A-4CEB-9125-7EDEA34BF90B (resized).jpeg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180516_160528_Film1 (resized).jpg
    20180520_000055_Film1 (resized).jpg
    91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg
    fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg
    zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Messages Image(80082350) (resized).png
    9 (resized).jpg
    11dagelico (resized).jpg
    IMG_0885 (resized).JPG
    CFD1B18E-3F09-4B2C-AAF0-DE2C076D5EAA.gif
    57AD0BB5-387A-47D6-9704-81F7AD4AF513 (resized).jpeg
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The MSDS showed 25-50% for plexus.

There are a few paste waxes that specifically say that they don't contain it.

Please, do share. And be sure to include the MSDS.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Use what the hell ya want. Telling you it’s a quality product. I’ve had ZERO issue in 15 years. Maybe I’ll have to give it 20. My playfields are all flawless except for dimples.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Please, do share. And be sure to include the MSDS.

I linked to it earlier in the thread.

#104 5 years ago

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable.

https://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I linked to it earlier in the thread.

I did not see you link to a wax that claimed to not use any petroleum distillates.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I bought Blitz wax many years ago for one of my cars. I hated that crap so much that I literally wound up throwing the jar in the trash. Not only did it dust really badly, but it also attracted dust to the paint like a magnet after applying. Not what you want on a black car.

Must not have been Blitz, because Blitz does not make any dust or flakes at all.

All my cars and trucks are black.

75% of my guitars are black

Here is was my new D'Angelico getting it's first wax job last year. No flakes, no white dust.

11dagelico (resized).jpg11dagelico (resized).jpg

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

Blitz is pure jazz guitar bliss.....

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I did not see you link to a wax that claimed to not use any petroleum distillates.

Oh, thought you were asking for the MSDS for plexus.

There appears to be no MSDS's available for P21S or Blitz according to the databases I searched. An MSDS is typically required when there is something poisonous, flammable, corrosive, or reactive in a product--a lot of solvents fall under that umbrella. I don't think it's a coincidence that two completely different carnauba paste waxes don't have an MSDS published.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh, thought you were asking for the MSDS for plexus.
    There appears to be no MSDS's available for P21S or Blitz according to the databases I searched. An MSDS is typically required when there is something poisonous, flammable, corrosive, or reactive in a product--a lot of solvents fall under that umbrella. I don't think it's a coincidence that two completely different carnauba paste waxes don't have an MSDS published.

Maybe that’s why Plexus does not have to list it either. Hmmmmm that’s just what the manufacturer told me.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Maybe that’s why Plexus does not have to list it either.

but it does

HEMICAL NAME(COMMON NAME) CAS NUMBERQUANTITYWeight %
    Aliphatic petroleum distillates
    64742-89-8
    20-25*
    Isobutane
    75-28-5
    10-15*
    Propane
    74-98-6
    1-5*

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, that's a first. Pretty much every liquid spray & wipe wax I had seen so far was basically the same. I had no reason to believe this one was different when I saw it mentioned.
    Can you share roughly how much of it is carnauba wax, and what the other major ingredients are?

None of the spray products are wax, do not claim to be, nor are the supposed to be. The sprays are either UV protectant for vinyl cabinets, or a wax safe quick wipe for the playfield, plastics, rubber. Seems there are a lot of assumptions being made and false statements. I am not here to debate which products are “the best” use what you like. I am just clearing up the FALSE statements. Making a statement that there in no wax in our .... um carnauba wax.... is interesting. I clearly you do not know.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think it's a coincidence that two completely different carnauba paste waxes don't have an MSDS published.

Thanks for admitting that you are guessing.

The term petroleum distillates includes things that would not be considered "poisonous, flammable, or corrosive." And that was my entire point. Your posts were inferring that any wax that contains petroleum distillates is not a good wax, and that is wrong.

Chap Stick contains petroleum distillates. I am assuming that those are not "poisonous, flammable or corrosive" but I could be wrong.

Messages Image(80082350) (resized).pngMessages Image(80082350) (resized).png

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Must not have been Blitz, because Blitz does not make any dust or flakes at all.
    All my cars and trucks are black.

It was 100% definitely Blitz wax.

Like I said, this was many years ago (more than 10) so it is entirely possible, if not probable, that they have reformulated their wax so that it does not dust or attract dust like it used to.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

None of the spray products are wax, do not claim to be, nor are the supposed to be. The sprays are either UV protectant for vinyl cabinets, or a wax safe quick wipe for the playfield, plastics, rubber. Seems there are a lot of assumptions being made and false statements being made

Indeed.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The term petroleum distillates includes things that would not be considered "poisonous, flammable, or corrosive." And that was my entire point.

That's not correct. They are flammable, hence the reason they are listed on MSDS's.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #114 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

but it does
    HEMICAL NAME(COMMON NAME) CAS NUMBERQUANTITYWeight %
    Aliphatic petroleum distillates
    64742-89-8
    20-25*
    Isobutane
    75-28-5
    10-15*
    Propane
    74-98-6
    1-5*

The manufacturer told me there are many other ingredients that are not listed because they are trade secret and are not hazardous so they are not required to be on there

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

None of the spray products are wax, do not claim to be, nor are the supposed to be. The sprays are either UV protectant for vinyl cabinets, or a wax safe quick wipe for the playfield, plastics, rubber. Seems there are a lot of assumptions being made and false statements. I am not here to debate which products are “the best” use what you like. I am just clearing up the FALSE statements.

Not trying to debate the best, but I think he was asking about your Pinhedz Creamy Carnauba. Since you said that it contains carnauba, we are wondering how much is actually carnauba...?

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

The manufacturer told me there are many other ingredients that are not listed because they are trade secret and are not hazardous so they are not required to be on there

Well sure there has to be other things to ad up to 100

#117 5 years ago

So can anybody comment on waxing (carnauba) technique. I used to smother the thing in was so I had nice white, then polish later after drying. But I was irked by all the crap it left on the playfield rollovers that short of vacuuming off just kept coming and coming. So then I took a dab and applied to playfield. No huge haze but it’s pretty clear there is a wet layer and then afterwards it’s decently shiny after buffing a little. I like that a lot better. But what exactly is “enough” wax. I wonder if I am caught in the Three Little Bears story and haven’t hit just right. How do you judge just right ?

#118 5 years ago

Forceflow and Vid are always correct

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It was 100% definitely Blitz wax.

Like I said, this was many years ago (more than 10) so it is entirely possible, if not probable, that they have reformulated their wax so that it does not dust or attract dust like it used to.

They claim the formula is exactly the same since the 1961 reformulation.

You probably bought a bootleg product, filled with Blast 1 wax.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's not correct. They are flammable, hence the reason they are listed on MSDS's.

Like I said, I could be wrong!

I am still of the opinion that all waxes contain petroleum distillates. This issue has been discussed in various auto detailing forums. I will repeat from my prior post:

Carnauba is rock hard in its natural form. When the leaves of the Tree of Life are harvested, the wax flakes off as the leaves dry out, or they are put into a machine that removes the wax. It comes off in hard flakes. Car Wax makers have to blend the wax with oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha (commonly used to thin wood varnishes and paints) in order to make the wax workable.

So oils, petroleum distillates, or a solvent called naptha have to be used in order to make the wax workable. Naptha = petroleum distillate. Oil = petroleum distillate (unless they are using some kind of plant based oil which I doubt).

Again, please let me know what wax manufacturer is specifically claiming that they "do not use any petroleum distillates" in their wax.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Forceflow and Vid are always correct

So is my boss.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

o can anybody comment on waxing (carnauba) technique. I used to smother the thing in was so I had nice white, then polish later after drying. But I was irked by all the crap it left on the playfield rollovers that short of vacuuming off just kept coming and coming.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/page/9#post-2734047

#123 5 years ago

Someone needs to do a demo tutorial video. No one can ever agree on wax or technique

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They claim the formula is exactly the same since the 1961 reformulation.
    You probably bought a bootleg product, filled with Blast 1 wax.

Yes, I'm sure that's it. How could someone not bootleg a $12 can of wax and make millions! Just too tempting.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Someone needs to do a demo tutorial video. No one can ever agree on wax or technique

This is exactly how to do it.

No mess, no argument, no disagreements:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/page/9#post-2734047

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I am still of the opinion that all waxes contain petroleum distillates. This issue has been discussed in various auto detailing forums. I will repeat from my prior post:

I'm aware there needs to be other ingredients mixed in, however, the only additives I'm aware of are the ones included on the MSDS's, since those are health hazards in some way.

Quoted from RobT:

Again, please let me know what wax manufacturer is specifically claiming that they "do not use any petroleum distillates" in their wax.

I just tried emailing one grand to ask about whether or not blitz wax contains petroleum distillates or not, but the address bounced

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Im a stickler for keeping my machines new looking. I picked up a couple kits from Mezel Mods, they work well for different situations, like full on waxing vs a quick wipe down.
    https://mezelmods.com/collections/pinhedz-pinball-machine-cleaner
    I also use plexi-clean on my plastic ramps.
    https://na.suzohapp.com/products/cleaning_maintenance/29-1175-10
    Hope this helps

Thanks for trying Pinhedz, glad you like the products and have had a good experience. I appreciate an actual user sharing their experience.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yes, I'm sure that's it. How could someone not bootleg a $12 can of wax and make millions! Just too tempting.

$12 ????

Then you KNOW it was bootleg, cuz Blitz is $30 a can.

But seriously, I bought a bunch of Duracell D batteries and they leaked and killed my expensive 6-cell Maglite flashlight.

I sent the Maglite back to Duracell for "free repair or replacement" and it turns out the Duracell batteries were counterfeit.

Maglite still replaced the flashlight, and included six genuine Duracell batteries.

That's a company that stands by their counterfeit products!

If someone will bootleg a $1 battery, they will bootleg anything.....in the US marketplace:

8% of all brand name clothing is counterfeit.

4% of all pharmaceuticals are counterfeit.

7.3% of all consumer electronic products are counterfeit.

29% of all watches are counterfeit (yes, that's a crazy high number).

40% of all wallets and purses are counterfeit.

#129 5 years ago

A can of Blitz 1000 used exclusively for pinball will last until the heat death of the universe, because you need to use so little wax - maybe a pinky nail's worth or less.

I see people slopping wax on like they're government contractors painting a battleship. No wonder it's dusting up like crazy.

#130 5 years ago

Proper playfield waxing:

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Proper playfield waxing:

The playfield looks like it is obstructed by the mod. That should be removed and it will make the game much more enjoyable.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$12 ????
    Then you KNOW it was bootleg, cuz Blitz is $30 a can.
    But seriously, I bought a bunch of Duracell D batteries and they leaked and killed my expensive 6-cell Maglite flashlight.
    I sent the Maglite back to Duracell for "free repair or replacement" and it turns out the Duracell batteries were counterfeit.
    Maglite still replaced the flashlight, and included six genuine Duracell batteries.
    That's a company that stands by their counterfeit products!
    If someone will bootleg a $1 battery, they will bootleg anything.....in the US marketplace:
    8% of all brand name clothing is counterfeit.
    4% of all pharmaceuticals are counterfeit.
    7.3% of all consumer electronic products are counterfeit.
    29% of all watches are counterfeit (yes, that's a crazy high number).
    40% of all wallets and purses are counterfeit.

You are right though, it actually was nearly $30 a can even back when I bought it more than 10 years ago. Wax prices have not changed much.

And my brother loves his Rolecks watch!

Edit: and it actually is extremely easy to counterfeit a wax. Anyone can call a company like Chemical Guys and have them do a formulation for them and they can simply slap on any label that they want.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I can't think of a simpler topic pinside has made so complex...

It's not even like the world shifts for 'pinball waxes' - everything covered in this thread has been covered ad naseum in other places.

Pure wax = marketing BS, it's too hard to work. It's always blended with solvents or oils to make workable. Solvents are popular because then the wax 'dries' and hardens.

Cleaner wax = products that include polishes and waxes together to try to reduce steps. But because they include polishes, are not just a pure protection step.

Polishes = abrasives... they work by knocking down the edges of scratches. That's why they are a POLISH and not a...

Glaze = fillers that improve look and finish by depositing material to fill in swirls and lines, but do not provide any protection on their own. Many consumer polishes will include glaze to help the finished look. At it's core.. a polish is just a finer grit abrasive. It's bigger more aggressive brothers are compound pastes.

Polymers = modern alternatives to waxes that form a protective layer that aims to mimick or improve upon the finish that wax gives. usually gives more a glass look than a deep wet look that wax gives. Polymers are popular to layer to improve look and durability. Generally have a higher durability for effective shedding and shine than traditional wax.

The key when you pick to use a wax, is to pick one that is really wax, and not fluff pretending to be a wax. Hence, the big push to actually find out what is in a product, and not just it's marketing push. Many products combine materials in an aim to make things 'easier' or 'improve results' when often it's just fluff for a short term result.

None of this has changed in 10-15 years .. and besides the rides of the Polymer products in the last 20 years... none of this has changed in 50+ years.

#134 5 years ago

Swissvax is the only company I've come across that labels the percentage of high grade yellow carnuba used in their wax. 40 percent carnuba seems to be around $200 for 200 ml. 8 to 15 car waxes per container. Blitz seems cheap at 30 per in that context.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm aware there needs to be other ingredients mixed in, however, the only additives I'm aware of are the ones included on the MSDS's, since those are health hazards in some way.

I just tried emailing one grand to ask about whether or not blitz wax contains petroleum distillates or not, but the address bounced

Anything listed on a MSDS for wax is very likely to be a petroleum distillate, no?

I appreciate you sending an email to Blitz, I would be interested in their response, but I was asking for a wax company who claims, in their marketing (not in private) that they do not use petroleum distillates. I would think that this would be a huge marketing tool given that there is so much misconception about them being bad.

You said:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are a few paste waxes that specifically say that they don't contain it.

Which few specifically say that? That's what I'm asking.

#136 5 years ago

I personally use Colinite Fleetwax 885. No idea the formulation, but it works excellent and is easy to work in.

I’ve tried Blitz and threw it in the garbage too. Just wasn’t very easy to use IMO and left shit everywhere.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I personally use Colinite Fleetwax 885.

Like 80% PD

Hazardous ingredients

Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light

40 - 80%

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I personally use Colinite Fleetwax 885. No idea the formulation, but it works excellent and is easy to work in.
    I’ve tried Blitz and threw it in the garbage too. Just wasn’t very easy to use IMO and left shit everywhere.

Collinite is a very good coating and wax. Its non abrasive and wears well.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/collinite-paste-fleetwax-12oz.html?cm_mmc=&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yT3DYkVh47lpF2rTXCKZLYeEBD4dyotAA6C-DuWucyM73kkTl6jS_BoCIW4QAvD_BwE

It wears well and colinite has a variety of heavy duty waxes and wax coatings for various uses.
    I really like the one for aluminum to keep it from corroding. I use it on my RV.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Which few specifically say that? That's what I'm asking.

Are you asking for a Carnauba wax that does NOT contain Petroleum Distillates?

There are a bunch of them.

For instance Zymol Glasur does not.

It even lists it's full ingredients on the label

Ingredients: Yellow Carnauba Wax 56% (100% yellow by volume), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Propolis (derived from bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Yellow #5.

zymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpgzymol_glasur_porsche_wax (resized).jpg

It does not last as long as Blitz when I tried it on some pins, but if you wanted something petroleum free, there you go.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have a friend on this forum (tempted to call him out but I will show some restraint!) who uses Blitz and told me the same thing regarding leaving shit everywhere. He described them as tiny little balls. He says he used very little too.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Are you asking for a Carnauba wax that does NOT contain Petroleum Distillates?
    There are a bunch of them.
    For instance Zymol Glasur does not.
    It even lists it's full ingredients on the label
    Ingredients: Yellow Carnauba Wax 56% (100% yellow by volume), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Propolis (derived from bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Yellow #5.

Ok, so they do use a plant based oil. The irony is that Zymol is a great looking wax but is generally regarded as not lasting long at all.

Had to look up Cetyl Esters. "Cetyl Esters Wax, Synthetic, NF is also known as cetyl palmitate and is the ester from cetyl alcohol and palmitic acid."

#142 5 years ago

You guys that are getting flakes or balls of wax are doing it WAY wrong, lol. Especially if you are using Blitz.

Ramrod: Vid, you brought 2 Glocks???
    Vid: Yeah, of course.
    R: I hate Glocks!
    V: How the hell can you hate the most well designed sidearm in the world?
    R: Because there is no Safety Latch. I friggin' shot myself in the face with a Glock!
    V: We call that user error....

fcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpgfcca1cba8e5c0952fcd69008bc7fd5d96c3fa7da (resized).jpg

#143 5 years ago

If anything, you put too much on!

#144 5 years ago

91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg91CABC29-4398-4266-9AF4-0371063FB170 (resized).jpeg

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

None of this has changed in 10-15 years .. and besides the rides of the Polymer products in the last 20 years... none of this has changed in 50+ years.

The ceramic coatings are the newest thing in terms of paint protection.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Thanks for trying Pinhedz, glad you like the products and have had a good experience. I appreciate an actual user sharing their experience.

No. Thank you. For defending me, your brand and my playfield.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The ceramic coatings are the newest thing in terms of paint protection.

Yeah, I kind of lump those together with the polymers even tho I know they are different.. lazy on my part

There is a lot to say about the ease of application for the polymers vs waxes... but I've not retired my waxes on black cars yet

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, I kind of lump those together with the polymers even tho I know they are different.. lazy on my part
    There is a lot to say about the ease of application for the polymers vs waxes... but I've not retired my waxes on black cars yet

Have you tried one of the consumer versions of a ceramic coating? Pretty easy to apply. Just go slow and be careful and you will have no problems. The cost is a lot higher than most waxes, but I think it's worth it, especially since I have become more lazy and don't have the time and energy to wax my vehicles every few months.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

My evidence is I personally have been using it for 15 years on playfields with zero issues. Not sure but he may even chime in here eventually as he asked what the site was I was postIng on
    All I know is it has been a amazing product for me thus far. But that said I am not comparing it to the duribility of carnuba wax. I just apply once a month or so
    But then again maybe all the users of this expensive high end product are being duped and love paying lots of money for pledge

After 15 years would it still be a “trade secret”?

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Proper playfield waxing:

My point exactly.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-you-adding-wax-to-your-playfield/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.