How are wood side rails attached to the cabinet of a Bally bingo?

By BlackCatBone

2 weeks ago

Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 weeks ago by bingopodcast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

I'm gutting my Night Club cabinet (not the head) so I can throw it away and save the storage space.  I can't see how the wood rails come off.  I first assumed they were top-nailed in place, so I used an 8 oz. rubber mallet to put on (resized).jpg

#1 19 days ago

Better yet, how do you remove them?

I thought I'd try removing the side rails from a mid-50s Bally bingo and quickly discovered I didn't know what I was doing. I first suspected that the rails were nailed straight down from the top center. I didn't see any signs of wood filler to give away the nail locations, and using a rubber mallet to pound upward on the bottom of the rails didn't cause them to budge at all, so I removed the cabinet inner metal liner and discovered four fasteners that may be holding the wood rails. Trouble is, after clamping the body for stability, using a punch and hammer on the fasteners also didn't do any good, and I think I'm on the wrong trail. Can someone set me straight on the best way to remove the side rails?

Thanks.

I'm gutting my Night Club cabinet (not the head) so I can throw it away and save the storage space. I can't see how the wood rails come off. I first assumed they were top-nailed in place, so I used an 8 oz. rubber mallet to put on (resized).jpg

#2 19 days ago

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago, Vic Camp and I tried removing the rails from a Bally "Gay Time", and it seemed damn near impossible. We gave up because we though we'd break something before budging them. They must be glued into a groove in the cabinet, as well as screwed or nailed in somehow.

#3 19 days ago

I believe they used an industrial adhesive of the day, based on some rails that were partially broken and needed to be removed from another game. I went slowly and levered and used a strong putty knife.

There may have been small nails used to hold the rail in place while the adhesive dried. I know for the replacements that were fashioned for mine by a woodworking friend, that is what he did.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    $ 219.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 329.00
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside