• Latest reply 3 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

binary (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from sharkey1331:

Hi folks!
I'm restoring a Blackout I picked up recently from a co-worker. It had been in his basement for years and years, and he originally got it out of someone's basement.. The boards were a little bit of a mix & match- for example the sound/speech board was out of a Gorgar. I swapped in Blackout sound and speech roms, and the test button now makes all the right sounds, and speech calls. The MPU had the correct roms in it already. The power supply is an older one (had the extra yellow capacitors on it) but produces all the correct voltages. The driver board was missing some transistors, and also has a crispy looking area that was repaired- the two kicker solenoid drivers. Both kicker coils look original, but not burnt at all. I've finally gotten all lamps to work, and now all solenoids except for the knocker and some of the sound board driving transistors are working. Game plays great!
I know I've got missing transistors still for the sound drivers- in the solenoid test, only 9 and 10 make sounds on the sound board. The other solenoids drivers at the bottom left of the driver board (4 of them!) are literally missing the TIP120, the 2N4401, or both. The game makes some sounds, but they are not always correct- for example, seems most sounds are the tilt sound if I hit a drop target. The green targets and kickers make the correct sound. Bonus count down is correct too. Here's my question: Surely there are more sounds than the 6 or so transistors? So, does the sound board have a matrix thing going on, for example, if it receives solenoid 9 input, play sound a, if it receives solenoid 10 input, play sound b, and if it receives both 9 & 10 input, play sound c?
Just curious,
Jason

The sound selection is binary number represented by the combination of the solenoid outputs of the Driverboard. You won't get the right sounds without all the transistors in place... Each of the solenoid outputs is one of the digits in the binary number. Without some of the driver transistors, some of the binary digits are locked at "1". They can't be grounded to "0" since the driver transistor is missing. This prevents some of the sounds to be properly selected and a different sound with a 1 in that digit plays.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

An example of what could be happening. Lets assume all the transistors are working except the transistor for the 5th binary digit is missing. Since the transistor is not there to switch this digit to 0 or LOW, the digit is locked at logic "1" or HIGH. Therefore, when the CPU is trying to select the sound at decimal 0 (for example) the sound board will play sound 16. Similarly, if it tries to select decimal sound 6, decimal sound 22 will play. Since the 5th digit is always 1 or HIGH, the sound board will never be able to select sounds 0 through 15 and will end up playing sounds 16 though 31 instead.

The opposite can occur if a transistor fails shorted. The digit would be locked at 0 or LOW and it would always play sounds 0-15 and never be able to play sounds 16-31.

binary (resized).jpgbinary (resized).jpg

1 week later
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from sharkey1331:

Hi guys- don't want to interrupt the discussion that is now going on in this thread- which is neat!
schwaggs Just wanted to report- 4 2N4401's replaced, and 2 TIP120's replaced, and now Blackout is making all sounds, and sound/speech is running perfectly! Thanks man!
Now off to create another thread- to tackle the random lockup issue I've got

Awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-system-6-sounds-selected?tu=schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.