4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I've often wondered how pins are actually put together. More the upper and especially the lower playfield. I assume all the solder joints were done one at a time by hand in the old days. Are they still done this way or is it all automated now? I think it would cool if the show How it's Made would contact Stern and do a show on it.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I think it would cool if the show How it's Made would contact Stern and do a show on it.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/how-its-made-pinball-machine/

#3 4 years ago

Already Done

#4 4 years ago

#5 4 years ago

You see, when a mommy pinball loves a daddy pinball very much ...

#6 4 years ago

Magic fairies type into google and check the first 3 results.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I've often wondered how pins are actually put together.

VERY s l o w l y...

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

so thats how they made jackbot

#9 4 years ago

You must be new to this thing called the internet

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stern+factory+tour

#10 4 years ago

Never thought to check first. Nevermind.

#11 4 years ago

Stern does it the old fashioned way, but start-up companies have really simplified things:

Step 1: take preorder money.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I saw the title and raced to get in with in that!

#13 4 years ago

I gave the OP a thumbs up because I don't understand why someone would thumbs-down the guy. It was an honest question. Sorry we can't all be experts. Pinside at its worst...

#14 4 years ago

Google search: how its made pinball

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Never thought to check first. Nevermind.

Man forgets to breathe. News at Eleven.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Stern does it the old fashioned way, but start-up companies have really simplified things:

That was hilarious!!!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I gave the OP a thumbs up because I don't understand why someone would thumbs-down the guy. It was an honest question. Sorry we can't all be experts.

Same here, Randy. I gave the guy a thumbs up. There was a time when each of us pondered that same question . . . .
    Mike

#17 4 years ago

It was a solid question, no reason to bag on the guy. Hey OP, you can have all 15 of my thumbs ups from my silly joke.

#18 4 years ago

That was a cool video but very superficial. It was more like "how a playfield is assembled." Missed out on the design phase, from brainstorming to prototyping to gelled. Also the whole coding aspect. And play testing, bug testing, code refinement. And manufacturing process, designing all the physical toys, tooling, production etc. and not to mention the business and marketing and distribution. It would be awesome if someone made a real in depth documentary on the process!

Jack

#19 4 years ago

Gary Stern rides a boat down the chocolate river and hands blue prints to the oompa loompas.

#20 4 years ago

Its funny, when i first started coming to Pinside it seemed to be a place where a bunch of great guys and gals came to talk pinball, share ideas,knowledge and a general passion for the hobby. And for the record most here are absolutely incredible people that have helped me out in so many ways and i have tried to give back what i have learned. Sadly, for what its worth (which im sure is not much) im noticing a real bitter attitude lately. For those that understood my intent with this post... thanks , for those who mocked me, (not the ones in true jest but the real m`coys) ..sorry, i will try real hard to do my homework next time before posting something as stupid as this without doing my homework first.

SUPERBEE out !

#21 4 years ago

That didn't end well.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Gary Stern rides a boat down the chocolate river and hands blue prints to the oompa loompas.

While sitting on a three-leg stool.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Its funny, when i first started coming to Pinside it seemed to be a place where a bunch of great guys and gals came to talk pinball, share ideas,knowledge and a general passion for the hobby. And for the record most here are absolutely incredible people that have helped me out in so many ways and i have tried to give back what i have learned. Sadly, for what its worth (which im sure is not much) im noticing a real bitter attitude lately. For those that understood my intent with this post... thanks , for those who mocked me, (not the ones in true jest but the real m`coys) ..sorry, i will try real hard to do my homework next time before posting something as stupid as this without doing my homework first.
    SUPERBEE out !

It's okay, buddy. Pinside is just like the rest of the world. Some really nice people...and some douchebags. (Some would say that I'm one!) You've got to learn to turn a deaf ear to the negative people and move on. I actually appreciate your post...now we have every "how to build a pinball machine" video in one thread!

#24 4 years ago

Unfortunately anonymity seems to bring out the worst in people.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I got to see some cool videos I hadn't seen before.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

SUPERBEE out !

i feel ya op. a week ago i posted a thread asking people how they would restore the pinball industry if given unlimited resources. not a single person answered my question and it turned into two pages of trolling about how i was too young to understand the industry. this community is not very noob friendly.

#26 4 years ago

Its no different then a school playground....got a few black eyes, and my ass kicked more times
    then felt good.
    But dont take it too hard....I know, easier said then done....we really do want all noobs to stay active and be OK to give a little shit back!

Even Aurich will take ribbing!

So.....hang in their SuperBee...jump back in, take a face palm, and the group here will have your back...

We may bark, but dont bite, and we all love pinball....

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

ROFL Step 3: Profit.

I forget what he second step is?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Magic fairies type into google and check the first 3 results.

thanks , didnt realize i was a magic fairie

Quoted from Aurich:

now this is true humour !

Quoted from wayout440:You must be new to this thing called the internet

Thanks for the heads up . Yeah, new to the internet.

Quoted from dung:

Man forgets to breathe. News at Eleven.

good call !

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:Its no different then a school playground....got a few black eyes, and my ass kicked more times
    then felt good.
    But dont take it too hard....I know, easier said then done....we really do want all noobs to stay active and be OK to give a little shit back!

Even Aurich will take ribbing!

So.....hang in their SuperBee...jump back in, take a face palm, and the group here will have your back...

We may bark, but dont bite, and we all love pinball....

Thanks man, ive been a member for over a year and been part of many ,many posts. Like i said, mostly very cool people here.

Quoted from jackd104:

That was a cool video but very superficial. It was more like "how a playfield is assembled." Missed out on the design phase, from brainstorming to prototyping to gelled. Also the whole coding aspect. And play testing, bug testing, code refinement. And manufacturing process, designing all the physical toys, tooling, production etc. and not to mention the business and marketing and distribution. It would be awesome if someone made a real in depth documentary on the process!

Jack

Now here is a great response , even though its been done.

#29 4 years ago

Im happy you started the topic SUPERBEE, I can watch these videos over and over. If you check out the Stern channel on youtube there are loads of nice videos on how they make and design their games.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

i feel ya op. a week ago i posted a thread asking people how they would restore the pinball industry if given unlimited resources. not a single person answered my question and it turned into two pages of trolling about how i was too young to understand the industry. this community is not very noob friendly.

I answered *all* your questions in that thread. i wouldn't characterize your reply back as friendly.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

This has been a good read, don't apologise. What I have found is most people on this site are great and helpful. But there are some threads (Topics) that I don’t bother with as a user, for the same reason in your post. Just move on.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

This has been a good read, don't apologise. What I have found is most people on this site are great and helpful. But there are some threads (Topics) that I don’t bother with as a user, for the same reason in your post. Just move on.

Some of us just get tired of the learned helplessness. Rather than enabling others its sometimes smarter to call them out on it. Next time they will think before they ask needlessly.

#33 4 years ago

I always take it that some people like to feel "superior" granted every forum has that sort of "look it up yourself and use search before you post" type of code, but the OP's question was rather open ended for interpretation and unless there was a specific thread before for this its a valid question for a pinball site.

I also like that topic of "if you had resource how would you change pinball" though I didn't see it before.

To the OP, youtube has some ok videos. I'm sure theres a decent "how it's made" floating around as well. What I'd love to see is a) a great doc on pinball design from concept to completion and b) a video of a HEP restoration from rolling the machine into the shop to delivery

#34 4 years ago

Superbee. Your question was by far the heart and soul of pinball.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from anubis2night:

To the OP, youtube has some ok videos. I'm sure theres a decent "how it's made" floating around as well. What I'd love to see is a) a great doc on pinball design from concept to completion and b) a video of a HEP restoration from rolling the machine into the shop to delivery

Reality television on How are pinball machines made or restored. There is enough reality television why not pinball. I would watch.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Some of us just get tired of the learned helplessness. Rather than enabling others its sometimes smarter to call them out on it. Next time they will think before they ask needlessly.

Nice. Well, at least you gave yourself a perfect screen name.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from anubis2night:

I always take it that some people like to feel "superior" granted every forum has that sort of "look it up yourself and use search before you post" type of code, but the OP's question was rather open ended for interpretation and unless there was a specific thread before for this its a valid question for a pinball site.
    I also like that topic of "if you had resource how would you change pinball" though I didn't see it before.

I could to this. What is the interest/ demand?Has to be enough to justify the effort.

#38 4 years ago

The interest is very high, Chris. Especially on doing a documentary on my machine when you get around to it.

But seriously, I think people would love to see the magic that you put into restoring machines...if you're comfortable giving away trade secrets.

#39 4 years ago

Yeah I'd pay to see that chris. I may know someone who could do it, and she's into pinball. If your interested I'll send her a message on facebook and see what she says

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I could to this. What is the interest/ demand?Has to be enough to justify the effort.

WANT!!

#41 4 years ago

Started a new thread with a poll to gauge interest for a HEP doc

#42 4 years ago

I for one would love to watch. I enjoy seeing all the amazing work you do.

#43 4 years ago

Chris I would buy a disc, or pay for a download, if you did that. Your videos are awesome, and it's just a shame that you take them down so quick!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 259.99
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 159.00
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside