(Topic ID: 181930)

How are dmd's colored?

By transprtr4u

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Was reading that it takes 80-150 hours to colorize a DMD display, what is the process to color a game?

#2 7 years ago

Program each spot, each scene, each color, that the game was sending to the old DMD.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Ok ! Dumb as a stump!
    Still don't get it ! Do you transfer the file to computer? Color each dot ?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Do you transfer the file to computer? Color each dot ?

That is one way to explain it.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

I'm guessing they have to pull each of the slides out of the original display ROM... which are encoded as 2 bit grayscale (4 possible values between 2 bits). Then one by one the frames get colored in an image editing suite (likely Photoshop)... and probably encoded back as a limited palette color image (like a GIF) and stored on an extra chip in the Color DMD. I'm guessing the MPU sends requests to the same hardware addresses as would happen with the regular display board but the Color DMD instead of serving up the grayscale image it serves up the new image.

There's no "easy button" to click and colorize each frame, one would guess. There are some good tools for DMD editing, though... one of them is called DMDPaint (Google should find it for you). (Unsure if DMD paint handles full color though).

ETA: I gleaned most of this stuff from doing some ROM hacking the past few weeks. I haven't pulled frames from any display roms to this point yet... was mostly looking at game code.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

I'm guessing they have to pull each of the slides out of the original display ROM... which are encoded as 2 bit grayscale (4 possible values between 2 bits). Then one by one the frames get colored in an image editing suite (likely Photoshop)... and probably encoded back as a limited palette color image (like a GIF) and stored on an extra chip in the Color DMD. I'm guessing the MPU sends requests to the same hardware addresses as would happen with the regular display board but the Color DMD instead of serving up the grayscale image it serves up the new image.
    There's no "easy button" to click and colorize each frame, one would guess. There are some good tools for DMD editing, though... one of them is called DMDPaint (Google should find it for you). (Unsure if DMD paint handles full color though).

Uggh, I was JUST about to say that...

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Ok ! Dumb as a stump!
    Still don't get it ! Do you transfer the file to computer? Color each dot ?

Yep you got it. Imagine the program is like MS paint. It's not photoshop. It's a program Randy created.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Uggh, I was JUST about to say that...

Hey dude, good to see you around. Ever get your MB? (I've been away for a bit)

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for the info... Didn't think this was an easy task. Makes me appreciate the color so much more!
    Thanks everyone !

#10 7 years ago

Randy used to be more open about how the biscuits were baked. Explained the basics at seminars at shows a few times. Then people started making knockoffs of the early stuff, and he got less interested in sharing. The color engine today can do far more than it did back then, too.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Hey dude, good to see you around. Ever get your MB? (I've been away for a bit)

Haha. Nope. But I've had many slip between my fingers. I've picked up a few pins tho. I've taken some time off as well. Good to see you round these parts!

#12 7 years ago

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

#13 7 years ago

Little men with sharpies

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Little men with sharpies

Lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-are-dmds-colored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.