Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Has there ever been talk of a Van Helsing pin? Was just thinking moving warewolf targets mixed with flying vampire chicks? A lot of material in this series for a groundbreaking game with Kate Beckindale plastered all over it .No shortage on gamescript with this one can’t argue that .Pricey license I’m sure with Hugh n Kate soundovers but think of the possibilities with this one.What day you ?

#2 3 years ago

Or what say you ?

#3 3 years ago

I enjoyed that movie a great deal, but it’s 16 years old now and it’s box office was only $300 mill and it did not successfully launch a franchise. It would be a cool theme for Spooky to do, but I don’t see it.

As a related aside, the Van Helsing Netflix show is okay. Kind of a cross between The Walking Dead and Resident Evil...

#4 3 years ago

I hear ya just love Kate ! Lmao but in all honesty besides ghostbusters (to a certain extent) has there been moving targets on pins? I’m new to this but to me something like warewolves charging you would be very inovative.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hear ya just love Kate ! Lmao

She’s great for sure.

Quoted from Kkoss24:

but in all honesty besides ghostbusters (to a certain extent) has there been moving targets on pins?

Yes, moving targets have been around since the EM days. Some more modern games with moving targets are Monster Bash, Big Buck Hunter and The Rolling Stones.

Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m new to this but to me something like warewolves charging you would be very inovative.

Welcome to the addiction! You’ll enjoy it here, great people in this hobby.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Resident Evil...

I think this was one of the great potential themes for pinball that sadly never became a reality. Back in 2014 we knew Stern was doing a zombie game, most people thought it was Resident Evil but it turned out to be TWD. As far as I know, the Resident Evil theme is available.

#7 3 years ago

Van Helsing would be a great pinball theme.
    Artwork and the film music included could have a lot of potential and we're not even talking about Kate Beckinsale yet!

Will never happen though but it's fun to think about

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I enjoyed that movie a great deal, but it’s 16 years old now and it’s box office was only $300 mill and it did not successfully launch a franchise. It would be a cool theme for Spooky to do, but I don’t see it.
    As a related aside, the Van Helsing Netflix show is okay. Kind of a cross between The Walking Dead and Resident Evil...

I always liked the movie too--it had a lot of character. It just never really seemed to catch on, though.

#9 3 years ago

Enjoyed the movie too. A boutique game for sure.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hear ya just love Kate ! Lmao but in all honesty besides ghostbusters (to a certain extent) has there been moving targets on pins? I’m new to this but to me something like warewolves charging you would be very inovative.

Van Helsing was a terrible movie, and GB is the worst game ever made.

If you want a game with charging wolves, your best bet is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Your shoot charging wolves on the DMD during a video mode. It also has a moving target - the mist ball that levitates across the playfield.

In addition to Tigerlaw’s moving target list, Batman Dark Knight & ‘66 have a moving target: the crane. The Hobbit literally has “moving targets”, the individually controlled drop targets...in certain modes they “move” around & you have to have good timing/aim to hit the right one as it pops up.

#11 3 years ago

My favorite comic book superhero was Green Lantern. When a film was finally made starring one of my favorite actors, Ryan Reynolds, I hoped it would be made into a pinball. The studio was expecting it to be a franchise and prepared for a sequel by having Sinestro put on the yellow power ring and turn evil at the end of the movie. But the other villains were so bad in the first movie that it was widely panned and no sequels will be made. Too bad, because I'd like Blake Lively on a pinball about as much as Kate Beckinsale.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

In addition to Tigerlaw’s moving target list, Batman Dark Knight & ‘66 have a moving target: the crane. The Hobbit literally has “moving targets”, the individually controlled drop targets...in certain modes they “move” around & you have to have good timing/aim to hit the right one as it pops up.

I’ll add Dialed In with the power up/electricity guy that moves back and forth across the playfield.

Van Helsing was ok, but if I was going to be the market for a new movie sci-fi pin it would have to be based the movie, The Fifth Element.
    Plenty of material for a variety of modes and no one would complain of artwork or video clips of Milla Jovovich.

(She would obviously look great on a Resident Evil pin as well!)

But sadly again, a movie past it’s prime...

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

My favorite comic book superhero was Green Lantern. When a film was finally made starring one of my favorite actors, Ryan Reynolds, I hoped it would be made into a pinball. The studio was expecting it to be a franchise and prepared for a sequel by having Sinestro put on the yellow power ring and turn evil at the end of the movie. But the other villains were so bad in the first movie that it was widely panned and no sequels will be made. Too bad, because I'd like Blake Lively on a pinball about as much as Kate Beckinsale.

That movie was SO bad. WHY did his suit need to be CG? And the whole ending with Parallax.. ugh.

That was a terrible period for movies - the "Thing" prequel also came out around that time. They built unbelievable new physical effects for the crazy forms of the monster, and shot THE ENTIRE movie. Then some asshat at the studio decided everything needed to be CGI, so they haphazardly slapped it ON TOP OF the fully completed, shot effects, and totally ruined the movie. Thus alienating both the casual filmgoer because of the ridiculous effects, and the hardcore Thing fans.. because of the ridiculous effects. No wonder Universal is in such dire straits now.

#14 3 years ago

Thread needs a poll.

#15 3 years ago

Van Helsing would be a great theme, but as an og title and not associated with the 2014 movie.

#16 3 years ago

It’d be a fantastic theme. Battles and intros ala bksor would be a great fit.

#17 3 years ago

Who would they put on the backglass David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

#18 3 years ago

Horrible movie why would anyone want that.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

Trick question. Vigo Mortenstein

#20 3 years ago

The answer which I have said for years is CASTLEVANIA pin

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

The answer which I have said for years is CASTLEVANIA pin

Now that there’s the great Netflix series, there are tons of great audio/video assets to use for a pin.

#22 3 years ago

I just think because there’s such a limited edition of each pin there’s a market for it .Im no expert a newbie but the VH start with all the underworld sequels there’s plenty of content to make a run like “Elvira”.Those seem to have done pretty good when show was long gone .

#23 3 years ago

Bottom line boobs,wolves, and vamps are a pretty strong cocktail for success!!

#24 3 years ago

Awful movie, and there are already plenty of pins with vampire/monster themes...

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

For a boomer maybe

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

This boomer totally agrees with you!Van Helsing would kick ass!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I just think because there’s such a limited edition of each pin there’s a market for it .Im no expert a newbie but the VH start with all the underworld sequels there’s plenty of content to make a run like “Elvira”.Those seem to have done pretty good when show was long gone .

None of Stern’s pins are truly limited. There’s usually also a Premium and a Pro. After Elvira LE’s sell out, Stern wants to sell as many Elvira Premiums as possible.

Van Hellsing is a notorious flop of a horrible movie. Not enough people have love or nostalgia for it to sell a batch of LE’s, let alone thousands of Prem/pro units. It’s dated and irrelevant. Elvira isn’t a super hot theme, but she’s a cult classic character that has cache with pinball people due to her 2 other games.

1 week later
    #28 3 years ago

Back to VH lmao!! I just watched it again and liked it even more than the first time.Also imo,there’s so much of this movie to transfer to a pin like a treasure trove.If anyone is looking to fill time during C-19 try this movie out a second time if you didn’t like it .I think it was just bad timing on release because the story went on (without Hugh) .While it didn’t break the bank ,it definitely has a following.Oh and Kate!!!

#29 3 years ago

Or just start with underworld.

#30 3 years ago

Does new pins really have to be a “hot topic” or will the players file in line on just a great game?Like I said I’m green as grass with pinball,but every forum I get into (first social media ever not even FB) it seems there’s more discussion on topic rather than play(like I’m doing).Anyway I’m glad I joined pinside as there’s very little hate in here.Good peeps for sure.Im literally thinkin bout this most of day and has definitely relaxed me from the stress of daily life.I work my ass off(extra work to buy 2nd and get family they’re needs)and just turned 50 loving life looking forward to playing a few games at the end of the day.Wish me luck on the next as I need variety now !!I am officially addicted!!stay safe !!

#31 3 years ago

Still no poll. Get with the program.

#32 3 years ago

I’m not sure how to do a poll so here it goes .Lets get s vote Yay or Nay first to 10 votes receives the prize!! ( No prize yet I’m working on it).

#33 3 years ago

I only know Van Helsing from Bram Stoker’s books and oh man that guy just won’t stop talking - his monologues go on for pages!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Does new pins really have to be a “hot topic” or will the players file in line on just a great game?Like I said I’m green as grass with pinball,

People will play a great game with a shitty theme on location.

People will buy a great old/retro game with a shitty theme if the price is right & because it’s kind of funny in retrospect. Congo, The Shadow, Johnny Mnemonic are good examples...although their prices have gone up. 10 years or so ago, those were $2000 or less titles.

New game sales for home use are a different story. Theme is everything. People will buy a shitty game if it has a great theme. Buyers need massive nostalgic attachment to buy a $6-9k game they’ve never played. New pin companies need launch sales. Theme is everything for that. A great new game with a shitty theme might find a following & have demand down the road (like the titles I mentioned)...but that doesn’t benefit the company selling them.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Has there ever been talk of a Van Helsing pin? Was just thinking moving warewolf targets mixed with flying vampire chicks? A lot of material in this series for a groundbreaking game with Kate Beckindale plastered all over it .No shortage on gamescript with this one can’t argue that .Pricey license I’m sure with Hugh n Kate soundovers but think of the possibilities with this one.What day you ?

If Stern or JJP did it with original story and comic style art then ok but I wouldn't be interested if its based on that film.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-van-helsing?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.