Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2932 (resized).jpg
worth.gif
gof (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Irony: People in an industry that specializes in selling people on things they don't need (mods) for their things they don't need (pins) are saying we don't need new code. I think you're all missing the point here. "Need" isn't the question.
Like Bublehead said, people are paying a LOT of money for small upgrades. $400 for a color chip on a retro game to make it less retro is insane to me. But this hobby is FULL of unnecessary things that seem insane to me. And yet we keep wanting what we see and spending $$$. I don't think it's crazy to think hundreds of people would buy new code for a game (sight unseen) if they discovered it. If a color chip goes for $400, I'd easily see new software going for $500-1000.
I can't believe I'm even typing that last line, but it goes inline with the pricing of "all extravagant things pinball" right now.
For any of the naysayers, let me ask you this: In our world of $1500 toppers, if new code came out tomorrow don't you think people would line up to spend many hundreds of dollars on it? That's really the question at hand, not "is it necessary?"

I think many are just missing the basic question of, do you want DLC modes? I guarantee you people would buy that shit up. I don't think the intent is to completely rewrite the code, but many people would LOVE extra modes or added multiballs or wizard mode for their worn out played to death 80's/90's/2000's pins.

The issue at hand is people with good ideas and implementations, and well...licenses/copyrights which seem to be the biggest hurdles. There are tons of talented people out there stifled by overbearing laws.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, for those who don't know me, here is a little background:
I have been coding since 1977. I have coded in almost every type of environment, every type of IDE, I have coded automated manufacturing equipment that I have built from scratch for an aerospace manufacturing company. I have coded in machine language, assembly, 6502, 68000, x86, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP, JAVA, .NET, etc... etc... I have done coding for real time testing equipment used to qualify aviation navigation lights to FAA requirements.
I am a classically US Navy trained electronics technician, I can troubleshoot and repair almost any electronic device I have a schematic for and even things that I do not. I was trained as a nuclear reactor operator and served onboard the USS Andrew Jackson ballistic missile submarine for 7 patrols off the northern coast of Russia.
I am an animator, and graphic artist. I can 3D model, I can 3D print my own prototypes, I have done the shaking saucer animation on the original Visual Pinball release of AFM, and was paid royalties for my code when they used it in UltraPin. I drew and animated the wiggly aliens as well. I coded the toys for a bunch of virtual pinball titles, including Junk Yard's crane toy, and Jurassic Parks animated T-Rex, and the ferris wheel in Cyclone. I pioneered most of the techniques they used to pull off these recreations.
I am a musician, I play the guitar and piano, I have a bunch of friends who are also into music, with their own studios and equipment for doing recordings and capturing callouts, music, speech, etc... I have done callouts and animated them using single, frame by frame techniques. I have done custom DMD animations for a custom virtual pinball title. I have written a custom pinball operating system to control a virtual pinball machine.
I am a maker, I make things. I helped build a full size flying replica of the Wright Brothers 1903 flyer for Dayton Ohio's Centennial Celebration of Flight back in 2003.
I have 3D printed and built my own CNC router to cut out custom playfields for my own custom projects.
I have built and populated my own virtual pinball machine out of a used Rollergames cabinet.
So there you have it... could I pull off recoding my MBrLE?, well with enough time and trouble, yeah, I think I could do it. Would it be easy? No. Would it be quick? No. Will it happen? I don't know. That is why I started this thread, gauging interest and viability. And for the record, I released all my VP pinball stuff free to the internet, not charging one cent for any of it except when approached by Ultrapin developers for commercial use and release.

so quit talking about it and get to it. First thing is to do it for yourself, and THEN see if others like it. The more you talk about it, the more likely a cease and desist.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

12,125 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-custom-code-for-cgc-remakes?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.