Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2932 (resized).jpg
worth.gif
gof (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago

There is demand for this type of thing at a reasonable price. In the arcade world we have "Donkey Kong Remix" which is an add-on chip you buy for your original Donkey Kong PCB. It adds a free play option as well as a toggle to "new code" of a remixed game with new levels, difficulty settings and even a trainer to help make you better at the game.

I have a version of this in my Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. I think at the time I spent maybe $50-$60 on it and it had fewer options than the link below. For the hours I put into it I very much got my moneys worth.

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1271/donkey-kong-remix-kit-deranged-trainer-pace.htm

I think if the code was easy to install on my MMr and cheap (enough) I'd try it. Generally though I'd see it as a novelty designed to change things up... but I would not shell out major cash to rebuild a wheel (or in this case some of the best programmed pinball games ever).

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

As seen in the soren updated code thread, it's pretty clear people want to pay zero for code updates. There was some real pushback there on $20. $20.... think about that. $20 to fix bugs in a game and expand out fairness in tournaments.
$400 worth of LEDs, stupid toppers for $1000, etc. and people won't pony up $20 for a code update. Well, one person will, and then copy it, and then it's on pin universe, etc. so everyone else can d/l it for free.
Also, didn't CG update the code for MBr anyway for the lightshows?
CC doesn't really count because it was released without finished code.

To the person's point above - and to advance this discussion further...

What would your new code involve? Burning new EPROMS? Or would it be a system like the NGG thing? Understanding how easy the upgrade is (and the associated costs) probably drives how interested people will be in trying it. Despite the fact that people buy crazy expensive lit McDonald's toys for their games without even thinking if it matches the theme appropriately it does seem there is a history for people being either hesitant or unwilling to commit to spending money when it comes to code upgrades. This could be because upgrading code in an old game isn't as easy as using alligator clips without shorting out your power board or it could be because people don't see the code in XYZ game as a problem worth fixing.

Assuming commercial success isn't a huge priority - I would say you need to keep it accessible (no new systems to install) and inexpensive (more people try and more people enjoy). Otherwise its really just a pet project for you and a half dozen people you share it with.

Your best shot at adoption is to enhance what people already enjoy which means add to the existing rule set and game. For IP reasons you can't really do this. To me that is where the analysis (and project) would stop.

Regardless of what code you run or who wrote it -- who cares how you enjoy your games as long as you enjoy them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Loris, SC
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-custom-code-for-cgc-remakes?tu=brainmegaphone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.