Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2932 (resized).jpg
worth.gif
gof (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Ok, so people think their machine is good in the "it was good enough back then" sense, but others have explored adding custom code to older B/W titles and I feel CGC's remakes could be one set of machines that could benefit from newer code. Why not a MMC or an AFMC or a MBC? They all share a similar code base from the emulation standpoint.

Why just bling out the accessories when what these titles could really use is a code facelift, especially when comparing their gameplay and rulesets to modern coded pins? We got companies supplying high end aftermarket toppers that do nothing for the gameplay, yet people are dishing out "seat" worthy amounts of money for a box of gold plated blinking lights.

And to define "seat" worthy for those not in the software industry, I'm talking about licensing fees software companies charge for a single "seat" or user of their software. How much would people be willing to shell out to have a AFM with added code? You could add all kinds of new side modes, and still keep the original main modes building to RTU, just randomize the additional modes into the scoop code. Include new callouts, new music, custom callouts the owner supplies... customized animations. Seems like this is an avenue of revenue that should be explored, so this is the thread to explore it.

Any other CGC owners who would pay for additional code development? How much would you be willing to fork out? If people paid $300-$400 just to add color to their CE's... what would you spend to see new code developed? If someone wanted to capitalize the effort, would PPS and WMS be open to allowing it for a piece of the action? Thoughts, comments?

#4 2 years ago

So why does this ring so hollow for the people wanting CC to be CCC? Don't tell me there are not people who want expanded code, they sold a few BOP 2.0's and people say CC needs a code update. If it is "the classic" you say it is, then why do people want a code update for CC? Just put out that wonderful classic code and be done with it. Yeah, right, and we have an actual developer adding (with permission) things to old B/W classic titles, there's even a thread here on it, along with fixing old bugs? You are not the entire voice of Pinside Crazy, so lets let others chime in before you try your major thread squashing tactics here, OK?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Doesn't mean it makes any sense for CGC to do it.

And my question was applying to a third party company, not the OEM. We have third party toppers, why not third party code for machines out of warranty (which is what, almost every machine older than 2 years?)

And no, not fan fiction, but fan enablement, or fan business creation. I am a coder worthy of taking on these kinds challenges, but there are ways of doing this "the right way", the illegal (wrong) way, and the DILLIGAF way. So, shoot me for testing the waters for desire, costs, and want-ability. If I want to ask people for their opinion, I will, and have done so right here, and your's has been noted. Thank you for your reply.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Not worth the few bucks for a code enhancement.

Yet, as stated, someone is already doing this for older titles with permission from PPS and WMS. So why do people think code development is going to be cost prohibitive? Because they are so behind the curve as it stands with current manufacturers? We all know they push the hardware before the code is even dry, thats just the nature of the cycle they have created due to the lack of resources. I think there exists an aftermarket for custom code, and others do too. Its getting the ball rolling (capitalization) that limits the market right now. A one man show might be able to recode two titles a year. But a team might do ten titles in 6 months, it all depends on what people are willing to pay to play something new inside something old, or as I think about it, applying old skills at new challenges.

#11 2 years ago

The biggest hurdle is getting access to the source code (copy-written) and assets like existing DMD sequences, voice calls and music, based solely on redistributing them with updated rule code. When I alluded to the right way and illegal way, this is the reason behind it. You could recode and redraw all the artwork and provide all new music and callouts but that is not going to happen for Monster Bash (third party license involved) without approval from Universal and by default, the owners of MM and AFM rights would have a say on using existing code from them as well. The OEM would need to be involved and help get any licensing issues ironed out. Which brings us back to the capitalization... who would pay and how much to obtain the rights in order to release any new code. Nobody said it would be easy, but get enough backing and anything is possible. I would have never thought they would let anyone touch the old code, yet it is happening for older titles, why not make something old new again? i.e. Fathom 2.0

#27 2 years ago

Glad to see this rubs so many the wrong way, I would rather be known for making people see more red than green.
As far as what have I actually coded, and if I am up to the challenge, let's ask this... Anyone else been paid for coding and developing virtual shaking saucers for AFM, or completely authored a pinball coding framework for creating an original title? Or completely authored a virtual pinball machine? Or I could continue with my other pinball related coding projects, but currently I'm getting a 6 figure salary plus bonus coding for a national bank. So, If I wanted, yeah, I could throw new code for my MBrLE. I'm just asking if creating Continued code for the remakes would interest anyone else besides myself.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you SEEN Icemans pool?!

No but here is mine when we first had it built:

And yes that is my backyard wall WAY back there...

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

you're clearly the person to out-program Lyman

Lyman is probably making the same money I am, he just has better job satisfaction. And out-programing him is not my goal, adding more value to existing hardware is. These boxes, minus their code are just heaps of old pinball parts. Imagine how much better a title might be and how much enjoyment is to be had by manipulating a bunch of one's and zeros. I see old machines as an untapped physical resource.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Most are that his idea is not a good one.

I would say there was more vitriol in the replies than just a bad opinion on the idea. And who would have thought that third party toppers were such a good thing until they dropped a gold plated one? With all this fat cash people are waving around, you would think there would be more interest in start up businesses for pinball add ons and "exclusive" custom coding. I can see now why so many of my pinball friends say "I used to follow Pinside, but not so much anymore except when I need to buy/sell a game".

#52 2 years ago

Both are now on the Rainbow Bridge waiting for their masters return. Angel and Lady were their names. Miss them both, Angel was our Einstein and Lady was our Nightingale. Both were rescues we found abandoned and adopted but Angel was that "one dog in a lifetime" dog for us.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It sounded like Levi wasn't the only "thread squasher" you've had issues with.

Yes, the passive aggressiveness on Pinside makes me question it's worth at times, but I enjoy the hobby and this is a place with a lot of opinions, I just wish there were not so many "God thinks your idea is stupid" comments coming from the peanut gallery, er, excuse me, I meant from the "crappers" (and thanks go out to CrazyLevi for naming himself "crapper")

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the two of you aren't "crappers," I suggest you make an appointment with your personal physician ASAP!

I do not crap. I shit. So you will never have to listen to my crap. But you might have to put up with my shit.

#73 2 years ago

Ok, for those who don't know me, here is a little background:
I have been coding since 1977. I have coded in almost every type of environment, every type of IDE, I have coded automated manufacturing equipment that I have built from scratch for an aerospace manufacturing company. I have coded in machine language, assembly, 6502, 68000, x86, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP, JAVA, .NET, etc... etc... I have done coding for real time testing equipment used to qualify aviation navigation lights to FAA requirements.

I am a classically US Navy trained electronics technician, I can troubleshoot and repair almost any electronic device I have a schematic for and even things that I do not. I was trained as a nuclear reactor operator and served onboard the USS Andrew Jackson ballistic missile submarine for 7 patrols off the northern coast of Russia.

I am an animator, and graphic artist. I can 3D model, I can 3D print my own prototypes, I have done the shaking saucer animation on the original Visual Pinball release of AFM, and was paid royalties for my code when they used it in UltraPin. I drew and animated the wiggly aliens as well. I coded the toys for a bunch of virtual pinball titles, including Junk Yard's crane toy, and Jurassic Parks animated T-Rex, and the ferris wheel in Cyclone. I pioneered most of the techniques they used to pull off these recreations.

I am a musician, I play the guitar and piano, I have a bunch of friends who are also into music, with their own studios and equipment for doing recordings and capturing callouts, music, speech, etc... I have done callouts and animated them using single, frame by frame techniques. I have done custom DMD animations for a custom virtual pinball title. I have written a custom pinball operating system to control a virtual pinball machine.

I am a maker, I make things. I helped build a full size flying replica of the Wright Brothers 1903 flyer for Dayton Ohio's Centennial Celebration of Flight back in 2003.

I have 3D printed and built my own CNC router to cut out custom playfields for my own custom projects.

I have built and populated my own virtual pinball machine out of a used Rollergames cabinet.

So there you have it... could I pull off recoding my MBrLE?, well with enough time and trouble, yeah, I think I could do it. Would it be easy? No. Would it be quick? No. Will it happen? I don't know. That is why I started this thread, gauging interest and viability. And for the record, I released all my VP pinball stuff free to the internet, not charging one cent for any of it except when approached by Ultrapin developers for commercial use and release.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

BoP 2.0 has to be considered a flop.

I thought BOP 2.0 was an interesting try, but the story and modes didn't fit the Pinbot narrative, in my mind... using the point based inserts for mode indicators was a stretch, the original idea is turn her human... I thought the new modes should be based on searching out parts to make her whole... and then turn her human and then progress to an ultimate wizard mode where she turns Pinbot human... the point inserts could have been scored to gain pinBucks... which Pinbot and Bride both need to purchase parts for each other.... and the Ultimate Jackpot is finally scored in the jackpot scoop which would then play an animated cut scene, then she says I'm loosing it... oh no so am I... reset repeat.

#84 2 years ago

Well that settles it, too many fucking know it alls on Pinside once again... Even if I do recode my MBrLE, I'm not going to say peep one about it... seems like too many people do give a shit about something that doesn't affect them, so I say fuck 'em. I'll keep it for myself.

Pinside:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
12,125 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-custom-code-for-cgc-remakes?tu=Bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.