Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2932 (resized).jpg
worth.gif
gof (resized).jpg
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

And yes that is my backyard wall WAY back there

Cool dogs

#52 2 years ago

Both are now on the Rainbow Bridge waiting for their masters return. Angel and Lady were their names. Miss them both, Angel was our Einstein and Lady was our Nightingale. Both were rescues we found abandoned and adopted but Angel was that "one dog in a lifetime" dog for us.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

This also lets me talk about whatever and not have the thread Facists put a boot to my neck for going off topic.

Yes, I quoted that out of another thread. When threads go a bit off the rails I like to amuse myself by looking at other threads the person has made to see if they had the same result. It sounded like Levi wasn't the only "thread squasher" you've had issues with.

#54 2 years ago

when we see toppers whish produce smoke for sale at 2200 dollars, sold out in 30 minutes, what about a new software with enhanced modes, new animations, colors, graphics... fix flaws and so on... we are talking about a real enhancement, a new experience for your pin/
I don't get why some pinsiders are so sensitive with that knowing, if you don't want it don't buy it.

Developping a software is far more complicated that creating a toy on the top of your pin so I think Bublehead's question is interesting. So, if it was me, I would pay top dollars for a new Adam's Software enhancement or AFM...

Bublehead, when do you start ? go for it

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

What a bunch of whiny douche bags in this thread . Whether or not any of this comes to fruition ( and it already has on multiple games ) why are you hating on the idea ? How has this discussion hurt you ? What an awful idea to breath new life into a game ! Or have multiple versions for you to select from ?! The horror . I don’t even care if it happens but it’s intriguing. But by all means just go around crapping on every idea that’s different from your preference or comfort zone . Wow

+1

#56 2 years ago

Terrible ideas were meant to be crapped on.

Don't blame the crappers. Blame the crappees.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Terrible ideas were meant to be crapped on.
Don't blame the crappers. Blame the crappees.

what about your MB original for sale, were you bored at some point to sell it?
What's wrong with discussing this subject?, you're not a fan of the idea I think we got it. I personaly think it's one of best thing to discuss on pinside... the mods itselfs are all over and also on youtube... the software would be the best Mod ever for some of us even if you disagree. Just ignore this thread and go play your MB that is still there my friend.

#58 2 years ago

As seen in the soren updated code thread, it's pretty clear people want to pay zero for code updates. There was some real pushback there on $20. $20.... think about that. $20 to fix bugs in a game and expand out fairness in tournaments.

$400 worth of LEDs, stupid toppers for $1000, etc. and people won't pony up $20 for a code update. Well, one person will, and then copy it, and then it's on pin universe, etc. so everyone else can d/l it for free.

Also, didn't CG update the code for MBr anyway for the lightshows?

CC doesn't really count because it was released without finished code.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

As seen in the soren updated code thread, it's pretty clear people want to pay zero for code updates. There was some real pushback there on $20. $20.... think about that. $20 to fix bugs in a game and expand out fairness in tournaments.
$400 worth of LEDs, stupid toppers for $1000, etc. and people won't pony up $20 for a code update. Well, one person will, and then copy it, and then it's on pin universe, etc. so everyone else can d/l it for free.

I have a lot of respect for Soren's work but we can't talk about new code. I think you write your comments without checking what was exactly released by Soren. Soren make some small modifications on the original WPC assembler code to make changes such as adding random for a bonus, remove an extraball, changing/rebalance the scoring.... I think it was not Ope's point, we are talking about new modes and so on... The amount of work has nothing to do with that.

Now you may be right but, we assume then that rich people don't play their pin... so they don't care (joke...)

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It sounded like Levi wasn't the only "thread squasher" you've had issues with.

Yes, the passive aggressiveness on Pinside makes me question it's worth at times, but I enjoy the hobby and this is a place with a lot of opinions, I just wish there were not so many "God thinks your idea is stupid" comments coming from the peanut gallery, er, excuse me, I meant from the "crappers" (and thanks go out to CrazyLevi for naming himself "crapper")

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

CrazyLevi for naming himself "crapper"

Self awareness is the first step to redemption…..though unlikely in this case.

#62 2 years ago

If the two of you aren't "crappers," I suggest you make an appointment with your personal physician ASAP!

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the two of you aren't "crappers," I suggest you make an appointment with your personal physician ASAP!

I do not crap. I shit. So you will never have to listen to my crap. But you might have to put up with my shit.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

To the person's point above - and to advance this discussion further...

What would your new code involve? Burning new EPROMS? Or would it be a system like the NGG thing? Understanding how easy the upgrade is (and the associated costs) probably drives how interested people will be in trying it. Despite the fact that people buy crazy expensive lit McDonald's toys for their games without even thinking if it matches the theme appropriately it does seem there is a history for people being either hesitant or unwilling to commit to spending money when it comes to code upgrades. This could be because upgrading code in an old game isn't as easy as using alligator clips without shorting out your power board or it could be because people don't see the code in XYZ game as a problem worth fixing.

Assuming commercial success isn't a huge priority - I would say you need to keep it accessible (no new systems to install) and inexpensive (more people try and more people enjoy). Otherwise its really just a pet project for you and a half dozen people you share it with.

Your best shot at adoption is to enhance what people already enjoy which means add to the existing rule set and game. For IP reasons you can't really do this. To me that is where the analysis (and project) would stop.

Regardless of what code you run or who wrote it -- who cares how you enjoy your games as long as you enjoy them?

#65 2 years ago

I say do something cool and share a gameplay vid here. It doesn’t matter what other people think. There are plenty of people that would be interested in a project like that.

#66 2 years ago

I've been recoding old games for over a decade now. Currently creating new code for Twilight Zone, but only in the virtual world. Check out my YouTube channel for a decades worth of work adding new ideas to old games - https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaPinball.

But here's the switch, I'm not obsessed with money, I've dedicated the last 12 years of my free time creating incredible pinball experiences, all for the pure love of it. Always pushing pinball forward with new innovations and new ideas, most of which you're all enjoying in your games today. Jersey Jack was following me on FB while he was still a distributor.....wonder where he got the idea of the backglass LCD screen that plays movies clips from?

To be a master coder, does take about a decade to learn. But you also have to be a master of sound design, lighting, story-telling....a coder doesn't just code....they produce magic.

I'm a massive movie fan, so great Film Directors are my biggest inspiration when I'm working on a project - which is why my games are so immersive. I recoded Dracula, Ghostbusters, Transformers, 24, POTC, Spider-man, Batman, Iron Man, Tron, Star Trek, T2...all offering a totally new immersive experience.

My code in Stern's Indiana Jones would blow your mind.

Not sure there's anyone in the real world with the skill or experience to recode big hitters like TZ, TAF or Indiana Jones. If you think you're already playing the best code in these old games.....you really need to think again.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I've been recoding old games for over a decade now. Currently creating new code for Twilight Zone, but only in the virtual world. Check out my YouTube channel for a decades worth of work adding new ideas to old games - https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaPinball.
But here's the switch, I'm not obsessed with money, I've dedicated the last 12 years of my free time creating incredible pinball experiences, all for the pure love of it. Always pushing pinball forward with new innovations and new ideas, most of which you're all enjoying in your games today. Jersey Jack was following me on FB while he was still a distributor.....wonder where he got the idea of the backglass LCD screen that plays movies clips from?
To be a master coder, does take about a decade to learn. But you also have to be a master of sound design, lighting, story-telling....a coder doesn't just code....they produce magic.
I'm a massive movie fan, so great Film Directors are my biggest inspiration when I'm working on a project - which is why my games are so immersive. I recoded Dracula, Ghostbusters, Transformers, 24, POTC, Spider-man, Batman, Iron Man, Tron, Star Trek, T2...all offering a totally new immersive experience.
My code in Stern's Indiana Jones would blow your mind.
Not sure there's anyone in the real world with the skill or experience to recode big hitters like TZ, TAF or Indiana Jones. If you think you're already playing the best code in these old games.....you really need to think again.

Wow. You’re the man. I like discussion like this to discover project as yours... amazing. Don’t you want to create a thread sharing your experience and projects? I didn’t know you but I will check your channel for sure. It would be great to switch to the real world if possible...
How come you’re working for so long and (I think) you’re not more well known ? Share your stuff!

Edit: i just checked your TZ project, it would be crazy to have that in real! What is the language you’re using, could it be plugged to a FAST system or P-ROC with some rework on the the real switchs and driver?

#68 2 years ago

I think just because a couple of goofs are spending dumb money on toppers in times of high inflation doesn’t mean that it would equate to a sustainable business model for pinball recodes. Aside from some of the negative comments, I think mainly most view your ambitions as blind considering the complexities of pinball software.

Ya gotta learn to walk before you run. Give MPF a stab and post some of your work to build interest and gain experience. As a coder you know that just because you work on mainframes or code in C++ doesn’t mean you can easily tackle assembly or verilog. Wish you the best of luck!

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

I think you write your comments without checking what was exactly released by Soren.

I know exactly what has been done by Soren, released and unreleased.

The point of my post was that fixing bugs in old games isn't even worth $20 to cheapies. They want it for free. Now, Soren was giving it away for free prior to PPS's involvement, so to be legal, the $20 needs to be paid.

Quoted from ruralcollector:

I think just because a couple of goofs are spending dumb money on toppers in times of high inflation doesn’t mean that it would equate to a sustainable business model for pinball recodes. Aside from some of the negative comments, I think mainly most view your ambitions as blind considering the complexities of pinball software.
Ya gotta learn to walk before you run. Give MPF a stab and post some of your work to build interest and gain experience. As a coder you know that just because you work on mainframes or code in C++ doesn’t mean you can easily tackle assembly or verilog. Wish you the best of luck!

Reminds me of several (well, ok 2) people who are accomplished C+ coders who wanted to dabble in modifying the old roms. They took one look at the assembly source and ran away. As SLAMT1LT says, it takes a while to get up to speed on things. If mods to old games are your thing, that's different than jumping into MPF or similar coding frameworks where there's a huge group of people that can help you along.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If mods to old games are your thing, that's different than jumping into MPF or similar coding frameworks where there's a huge group of people that can help you along.

Totally agree. I guess I was more looking at it from the lines of understanding the pinball code on a lower level. I think it would be incredibly challenging to try to jump in on a “A” list game code without having a deep understanding of how things function (rules, modes, etc). applejuice has rewritten several games in MPF and I think it’s a great place to start. I started rewriting Breakshot in MPF but quickly realized I was jumping the gun. My goal is to find a cheap Pennant Fever and start with something more simple.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Any other CGC owners who would pay for additional code development? How much would you be willing to fork out? If people paid $300-$400 just to add color to their CE's... what would you spend to see new code developed? If someone wanted to capitalize the effort, would PPS and WMS be open to allowing it for a piece of the action? Thoughts, comments?

I definitely think it is worthwhile to explore. It's kind of difficult to throw out a $$ amount without knowing the details, e.g. what are the updates/enhancements/changes, how easy is it to implement...

Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I say do something cool and share a gameplay vid here. It doesn’t matter what other people think. There are plenty of people that would be interested in a project like that.

^^This

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Irony: People in an industry that specializes in selling people on things they don't need (mods) for their things they don't need (pins) are saying we don't need new code. I think you're all missing the point here. "Need" isn't the question.
Like Bublehead said, people are paying a LOT of money for small upgrades. $400 for a color chip on a retro game to make it less retro is insane to me. But this hobby is FULL of unnecessary things that seem insane to me. And yet we keep wanting what we see and spending $$$. I don't think it's crazy to think hundreds of people would buy new code for a game (sight unseen) if they discovered it. If a color chip goes for $400, I'd easily see new software going for $500-1000.
I can't believe I'm even typing that last line, but it goes inline with the pricing of "all extravagant things pinball" right now.
For any of the naysayers, let me ask you this: In our world of $1500 toppers, if new code came out tomorrow don't you think people would line up to spend many hundreds of dollars on it? That's really the question at hand, not "is it necessary?"

I think many are just missing the basic question of, do you want DLC modes? I guarantee you people would buy that shit up. I don't think the intent is to completely rewrite the code, but many people would LOVE extra modes or added multiballs or wizard mode for their worn out played to death 80's/90's/2000's pins.

The issue at hand is people with good ideas and implementations, and well...licenses/copyrights which seem to be the biggest hurdles. There are tons of talented people out there stifled by overbearing laws.

#73 2 years ago

Ok, for those who don't know me, here is a little background:
I have been coding since 1977. I have coded in almost every type of environment, every type of IDE, I have coded automated manufacturing equipment that I have built from scratch for an aerospace manufacturing company. I have coded in machine language, assembly, 6502, 68000, x86, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP, JAVA, .NET, etc... etc... I have done coding for real time testing equipment used to qualify aviation navigation lights to FAA requirements.

I am a classically US Navy trained electronics technician, I can troubleshoot and repair almost any electronic device I have a schematic for and even things that I do not. I was trained as a nuclear reactor operator and served onboard the USS Andrew Jackson ballistic missile submarine for 7 patrols off the northern coast of Russia.

I am an animator, and graphic artist. I can 3D model, I can 3D print my own prototypes, I have done the shaking saucer animation on the original Visual Pinball release of AFM, and was paid royalties for my code when they used it in UltraPin. I drew and animated the wiggly aliens as well. I coded the toys for a bunch of virtual pinball titles, including Junk Yard's crane toy, and Jurassic Parks animated T-Rex, and the ferris wheel in Cyclone. I pioneered most of the techniques they used to pull off these recreations.

I am a musician, I play the guitar and piano, I have a bunch of friends who are also into music, with their own studios and equipment for doing recordings and capturing callouts, music, speech, etc... I have done callouts and animated them using single, frame by frame techniques. I have done custom DMD animations for a custom virtual pinball title. I have written a custom pinball operating system to control a virtual pinball machine.

I am a maker, I make things. I helped build a full size flying replica of the Wright Brothers 1903 flyer for Dayton Ohio's Centennial Celebration of Flight back in 2003.

I have 3D printed and built my own CNC router to cut out custom playfields for my own custom projects.

I have built and populated my own virtual pinball machine out of a used Rollergames cabinet.

So there you have it... could I pull off recoding my MBrLE?, well with enough time and trouble, yeah, I think I could do it. Would it be easy? No. Would it be quick? No. Will it happen? I don't know. That is why I started this thread, gauging interest and viability. And for the record, I released all my VP pinball stuff free to the internet, not charging one cent for any of it except when approached by Ultrapin developers for commercial use and release.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I have been coding since 1977. I have coded in almost every type of environment, every type of IDE, I have coded automated manufacturing equipment that I have built from scratch for an aerospace manufacturing company. I have coded in machine language, assembly, 6502, 68000, x86, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP, JAVA, .NET, etc... etc... I have done coding for real time testing equipment used to qualify aviation navigation lights to FAA requirements.
I am a classically US Navy trained electronics technician, I can troubleshoot and repair almost any electronic device I have a schematic for and even things that I do not. I was trained as a nuclear reactor operator and served onboard the USS Andrew Jackson ballistic missile submarine for 7 patrols off the northern coast of Russia.
I am an animator, and graphic artist. I can 3D model, I can 3D print my own prototypes, I have done the shaking saucer animation on the original Visual Pinball release of AFM, and was paid royalties for my code when they used it in UltraPin. I drew and animated the wiggly aliens as well. I coded the toys for a bunch of virtual pinball titles, including Junk Yard's crane toy, and Jurassic Parks animated T-Rex, and the ferris wheel in Cyclone. I pioneered most of the techniques they used to pull off these recreations.
I am a musician, I play the guitar and piano, I have a bunch of friends who are also into music, with their own studios and equipment for doing recordings and capturing callouts, music, speech, etc... I have done callouts and animated them using single, frame by frame techniques. I have done custom DMD animations for a custom virtual pinball title. I have written a custom pinball operating system to control a virtual pinball machine.
I am a maker, I make things. I helped build a full size flying replica of the Wright Brothers 1903 flyer for Dayton Ohio's Centennial Celebration of Flight back in 2003.
I have 3D printed and built my own CNC router to cut out custom playfields for my own custom projects.
I have built and populated my own virtual pinball machine out of a used Rollergames cabinet.
So there you have it... could I pull off recoding my MBrLE?, well with enough time and trouble, yeah, I think I could do it. Would it be easy? No. Would it be quick? No. Will it happen? I don't know. That is why I started this thread, gauging interest and viability. And for the record, I released all my VP pinball stuff free to the internet, not charging one cent for any of it except when approached by Ultrapin developers for commercial use and release.

Impressive. In my opinion you should do the MBr recoding. Yeai, it will take time and will be hard, but the interest would pop up at the reveal and trust me, when you see the pin value growing, you could be sure they would be a good market for this kind of kit including a lot of interest !
With your resume, I think you should do great things.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

so quit talking about it and get to it. First thing is to do it for yourself, and THEN see if others like it. The more you talk about it, the more likely a cease and desist.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

so quit talking about it and get to it. First thing is to do it for yourself, and THEN see if others like it. The more you talk about it, the more likely a cease and desist.

Well said. Stop talking and start something and the interest will grow over the time and you will always find people or road block to criticize but the best answer is your work!
Worst case scenario, you will find a great week end project to love and spend time on.
First thing you need to see: what language will you use? Recode or take over the existing code... and a MBr ready for your love on it...
The license or whatever could be dealt later, first thing first is required: your motivation to do it.

So agreed with stop the useless talk and start a new thread with a project !

#77 2 years ago

Count me in as someone who is interested and would pay to have 2.0 versions for several/most of my games. I bought BoP 2.0 and the expense was well worth it as it really feels like having 2 machines in the space of one, which in my limited space is a big bonus.

That said, awesome as it is, BoP 2.0 has to be considered a flop. The public has evidently sided with CrazyLevi .

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

BoP 2.0 has to be considered a flop.

I thought BOP 2.0 was an interesting try, but the story and modes didn't fit the Pinbot narrative, in my mind... using the point based inserts for mode indicators was a stretch, the original idea is turn her human... I thought the new modes should be based on searching out parts to make her whole... and then turn her human and then progress to an ultimate wizard mode where she turns Pinbot human... the point inserts could have been scored to gain pinBucks... which Pinbot and Bride both need to purchase parts for each other.... and the Ultimate Jackpot is finally scored in the jackpot scoop which would then play an animated cut scene, then she says I'm loosing it... oh no so am I... reset repeat.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well there you have it. The nay sayers haven't been back to dump on this anymore. Pretty impressive resume. I think we can agree Bublehead could probably do it. Thank you for your service by the way. Fellow former bubblehead myself. Fast attack guy tho. SSN-705. We might know some of the same people.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I thought BOP 2.0 was an interesting try, but the story and modes didn't fit the Pinbot narrative, in my mind... using the point based inserts for mode indicators was a stretch, the original idea is turn her human... I thought the new modes should be based on searching out parts to make her whole... and then turn her human and then progress to an ultimate wizard mode where she turns Pinbot human... the point inserts could have been scored to gain pinBucks... which Pinbot and Bride both need to purchase parts for each other.... and the Ultimate Jackpot is finally scored in the jackpot scoop which would then play an animated cut scene, then she says I'm loosing it... oh no so am I... reset repeat.

Quality of code in BoP 2.0 is not the reason it didn’t sell. I think the rules are really good and the graphics, call-outs, and music are great.

#81 2 years ago

To answer the original question: I think cgc customers would buy a new software version if it's similar to buying the color dmd.
For a few $100, install a new chip and you're ready to go.

Me personally, I don't have a cgc game but would be interested if I had.

I have my Dialed In and love it - mostly for the shots / playfield, not so much for the theme and sounds..
I'd buy new software for it (if it's a complete new theme, fully executed).
I hope that someone will get MPF working with JJP games and then I can try to make something myself

Same for my ACNC. I don't plan to ever sell it, if I get tired of it in a few years I'll probably install a rpi in it.
(I'm a bit hesitant to change the assets on the installed computer as the Spooky install procedure doesn't install a full image).

I think the interest for new software is bigger with people who own recent released games and are new in the hobby.
Those +10 years in the hobby (and more often have wpc games) are less interested in it, or in paying for it. They'll probably want something like Sorens fixes. They are not waiting for a total new ruleset as they love the games they have for what they are.

As for older games - all the comments made here are true.
It requires a lot of skills to create a fully finished gamerom, something not many people all posses.
And if you do it's mostly a labor of love, because you want to do it yourself.

#82 2 years ago

...The nay sayers haven't been back to dump on this anymore.

Usually around the time people start bragging aboot how amazingly rich they and posting pics of their huge yards & pools we stop giving a shit. There's an unwritten douche line you cross were it just drags the whole thing down.

I think we can agree Bublehead could probably do it.

I never thought he couldn't do it personally, I just don't think he will.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Usually around the time people start bragging aboot how amazingly rich they and posting pics of their huge yards & pools we stop giving a shit. There's an unwritten douche line you cross were it just drags the whole thing down.

#84 2 years ago

Well that settles it, too many fucking know it alls on Pinside once again... Even if I do recode my MBrLE, I'm not going to say peep one about it... seems like too many people do give a shit about something that doesn't affect them, so I say fuck 'em. I'll keep it for myself.

Pinside:

#85 2 years ago

Well please keep us updated on how rich you are; that's the important part.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

The bubble(head) is about to burst!

yet has to ask wifey's permission for every pin purchase

#87 2 years ago

I would love an alternate code and callouts for my AFMr. It's my favourite game as it is out of the 25 that are here, but having an alternate code (or two) sitting alongside the original code would thrill me.

It's the reason i went in on the Mermaid from Haggis.

Love my original fathom, but a few subtleish changes like rgb, lcd's in the apron is great. The purchase was driven by the alternate code though. I would not have upgraded if it had not been for that.

So there you have it. I would pay $11,500au for new code, as long as it came with a new pinball machine.

I'm with you mate and think your idea is great, but FFS count how many times you said 'I' in this post.

Quoted from Bublehead:

#88 2 years ago

I’d be all for it. AFM and Scared Stiff. DO IT!!!!

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well that settles it, too many fucking know it alls on Pinside once again... Even if I do recode my MBrLE, I'm not going to say peep one about it... seems like too many people do give a shit about something that doesn't affect them, so I say fuck 'em. I'll keep it for myself.
Pinside:

To be honest, I’m not sure to get what this is all about. You seem to ignore even the positive opinion regarding a new MB project or else and people wishing you to succeed. Only matters are critics and praise for your resume. You don’t need permission from anyone, you have an incredible resume but I haven’t seen EPTheGeek, Danesi or Applejuice waiting for upvote to start their work.

So again what this is all about? You?

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Pinside:

This is EXACTLY why I didn't share the code Lyman and I wrote together for AFM! Too many "know it alls" on Pinside!!!!!!! I play it every night because the rules are so deep you cannot see them all in a single lifetime. But you get nothing from me!!!

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is EXACTLY why I didn't share the code Lyman and I wrote together got AFM! Too many "know it alls" on Pinside!!!!!!! I play it every night because the rules are so deep you cannot see them all in a single lifetime. But you get nothing from me!!!

How bout me?

I'll be your best friend and carry your books for a year.

#92 2 years ago

Sounds familiar?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-candidate-for-new-code

Thread to create hope and then... nothing. I think there are plenty others.
I think the best is to start something, and then bring interest later with the first draft and acheivement rather then postulate for a job or explaining why it should be too easy.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Sounds familiar?

Sounds like 100 threads we've posted in before by young(old) cocksure experts coders that can change the game and make everything great

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like 100 threads we've posted in before by young(old) cocksure experts coders that can change the game and make everything great

So the thread is dead ha ha ha ....

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

So again what this is all about? You?

Don't be silly, this thread is about backyards.

I've worked on a commercial game, so I have a decent idea how much work goes into it all, but that's not what's really important here. What matters is the best backyard flex you can make. Best I can do is we have chickens living in ours and they give us a pretty set of eggs every day. Afraid I don't have a pool or acres of land. But green eggs, come on.

IMG_2932 (resized).jpgIMG_2932 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#96 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

To the person's point above - and to advance this discussion further...
What would your new code involve? Burning new EPROMS? Or would it be a system like the NGG thing? Understanding how easy the upgrade is (and the associated costs) probably drives how interested people will be in trying it. Despite the fact that people buy crazy expensive lit McDonald's toys for their games without even thinking if it matches the theme appropriately it does seem there is a history for people being either hesitant or unwilling to commit to spending money when it comes to code upgrades. This could be because upgrading code in an old game isn't as easy as using alligator clips without shorting out your power board or it could be because people don't see the code in XYZ game as a problem worth fixing.
Assuming commercial success isn't a huge priority - I would say you need to keep it accessible (no new systems to install) and inexpensive (more people try and more people enjoy). Otherwise its really just a pet project for you and a half dozen people you share it with.
Your best shot at adoption is to enhance what people already enjoy which means add to the existing rule set and game. For IP reasons you can't really do this. To me that is where the analysis (and project) would stop.
Regardless of what code you run or who wrote it -- who cares how you enjoy your games as long as you enjoy them?

Awesome post - this is how you appreciate the validity but ultimately disagree with something, with thoughtful and unemotional reasoning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-custom-code-for-cgc-remakes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.