(Topic ID: 229185)

How about a little common courtesy people???

By drjbeyer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm sorry, but I have had enough. This is a rant, so if you don't wan't to hear it, close the post now...

I currently have stuff listed in the market section. I have had a number of positive purchasing and selling experiences here, and met some great people. What truly pisses me off is the following...

"Hey, I am REALLY interested in purchasing your (insert game/part/whatever here). Can you send me some detailed pics?"

Sure, so I send the pics. Sometimes 20 or more.

And then.......

NOTHING. Nada, zilch, zippo.

How about at least a thank you for sending the pics? If you don't want to purchase, then fine, my feelings won't be hurt. But I was at least raised to thank people for their efforts.

I am certainly not naive enough to expect every lead to result in a sale, but I have to believe people are at least slightly interested if they are willing to contact me and ask for pictures.

If I am on the other end (prospective purchaser) and ask for pics, I will ALWAYS reply with a thank you, and if I choose not to move further I offer an explanation why - maybe that is more than what should be expected, but I feel as though people always appreciate some feedback - I sure do.

This is supposed to be a "community" of pinheads, I don't think it's too much to ask for at least a response.

Rant off. thanks for listening..

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from drjbeyer:

I don't think it's too much to ask for at least a response.

Quoted from drjbeyer:

But I was at least raised to thank people for their efforts.

You must be over 30 as this is not taught any more.

#3 5 years ago

Believe me it happens alot. You cannot get mad about , cost of doing business. There are and always will be tire kickers.

#4 5 years ago

I recently had a Taxi listed and had a lot more flakes and weirdos and broke asses contact me than usual. Maybe due to the lower price point? I got annoyed and ultimately decided to keep it. Taxi is way too good of a pin to put up with that. Most experiences I have had with selling pins have been very smooth.

I agree showing some common courtesy goes a long way.

#5 5 years ago

I have had the same experience a lot while selling on ebay.

On the other hand, I reached out to a seller on offerup about a machine that was listed over a month prior to see if it was still for sale (I am over 30 and rarely use these for sale sites). I then make an offer the next day after no response and was told that an offer was received the day after I inquired, it would have been nice to be told earlier that it was still for sale.

The bottom line is that you should always respond when selling something. I don't understand the lack of common decency of communication now.

#6 5 years ago

People like looking at pictures.

A lot of people that ask for photos have an impulse to want something but lack the resources or desire (space, money, travel, etc.) to go thru with a purchase.

Had it happen last week with a game I am selling, so you are not alone.

#7 5 years ago

Lots of idiots, little time!

#8 5 years ago

Years ago I sold a video game. A person requested a bunch of pictures which I sent. Then he went of the arcade newsgroup and critiqued every inch of it, except that it was working, and I was asking half of the going price then.

Some people just need a kick in the nuts.

LTG : )

#9 5 years ago

I collect all the pics folks send me. Then I print them out. Then I roll around naked on them enjoying my feelings of power and manipulation.

That’s not so bad, is it?

I’m sure there is always that ‘disconnect’ between internet and reality. I normally don’t yell ‘fuck off’ in the middle of a disagreement or walk away.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from drjbeyer:

I'm sorry, but I have had enough. This is a rant, so if you don't wan't to hear it, close the post now...
    I currently have stuff listed in the market section. I have had a number of positive purchasing and selling experiences here, and met some great people. What truly pisses me off is the following...
    "Hey, I am REALLY interested in purchasing your (insert game/part/whatever here). Can you send me some detailed pics?"
    And then.......
    How about at least a thank you for sending the pics? If you don't want to purchase, then fine, my feelings won't be hurt. But I was at least raised to thank people for their efforts.
    I am certainly not naive enough to expect every lead to result in a sale, but I have to believe people are at least slightly interested if they are willing to contact me and ask for pictures.
    If I am on the other end (prospective purchaser) and ask for pics, I will ALWAYS reply with a thank you, and if I choose not to move further I offer an explanation why - maybe that is more than what should be expected, but I feel as though people always appreciate some feedback - I sure do.
    This is supposed to be a "community" of pinheads, I don't think it's too much to ask for at least a response.

That's to bad but it happens even in today's "communication" age where people have almost instant communication with anyone on the planet right in their pocket. I've only had it happen about 1% for my mod sales so I guess I'm doing pretty good. Pinsiders have always been nice and in turn I have always nice to them.

#11 5 years ago

I have had more flakes in the past 6 months than I have had in the last 3 yrs. As soon as $ are needed, phone goes dead. All of them pinsiders.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from drjbeyer:

And then.......

Hey....Thanks for sending pics to that guy!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

You must be over 30 as this is not taught any more.

Funny, it's always the older guys doing this to me.

#14 5 years ago

That works both ways. I have contacted people on here right after they posted a pin and get no response back. It has happened on Craigslist and Letgo also. Seems like if u have a deal just say so or remove the listing. Just part of it I guess. I don’t lose sleep over it.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I haven’t had the experience the op has had but I will say that in my experience I rarely get price haggled by young people. They either buy it or don’t.

#16 5 years ago

I’ve been ghosted by old and young. New and experienced.
    I will say that my listings are normally very descriptive and full of pictures. I’ve gotten lazy lately and the number of tire kickers I’ve had warrants that.
    I make it clear I don’t hold pins without a deposit.
    The first time someone says I’ll take it - I counter with. Great - please send a deposit. 90% of the time it’s crickets.
    I typically respond to a PM within an hour. Worst case 4-6 hours. If I don’t hear back from someone within 24 hours, they aren’t serious.
    Everyone is glued to their phones. Pinside sends you an email when you get a message. No reason to not be prompt.

#17 5 years ago

I've never really had many bad buying or selling experiences. Just one that comes to mind, in the middle of driving to purchase a RR WOZ and, I am about 1.5 hours into the 3 hour drive and I get the call that he changed his mind. His wife said he can't sell it. So I turn around and burned about $50 in gas and had a crying kid in the van. Well known pinsider also.

#18 5 years ago

How about people wanting to knock the price down even before they see the pics...... Oh and the ones that offer $300 for a listed $1500 pinball. I almost want to send them to some other sellers house...........

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've never really had many bad buying or selling experiences. Just one that comes to mind, in the middle of driving to purchase a RR WOZ and, I am about 1.5 hours into the 3 hour drive and I get the call that he changed his mind. His wife said he can't sell it. So I turn around and burned about $50 in gas and had a crying kid in the van. Well known pinsider also.

This is absolutely ridiculous. He didn't pay for your gas at least? Wow. If not you have every right to expose that nonsense.

#20 5 years ago

It was a couple years ago so I'm over it. But yea, very annoying. Seller got cold feet when I was actually on the road to buy it, then he used the wife excuse.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from drjbeyer:

And then.......

This happens to me a lot and is very frustrating. This is also the reason I don’t like to sell anything in general. I hate the bullshit and that probably makes me a bad purchaser as I go out of my way to complete the deal if I show interest even if I see something that wasn’t disclosed.

#23 5 years ago

Now that really sucks. I don't get the big deal of someone not responding to one message. Probably did you a favor by flaking out early. I get more irritated when people communicate well, give you the impression they are serious, and then flake out in the end. I recently sold some stuff on ebay. One guy messaged me and asked if I would ship overseas. I didn't really want to at first but then decided to since it was not selling. We went back and forth many times discussing shipping costs and price. He told me several times he was okay with paying for shipping even though it was high. I finally messaged him with final total price and then not a word again from him.

#24 5 years ago

The amount of flakes I’ve gotten — I don’t get it. Not just tire kickers — I expect those, but the people who just stop communicating after being very interested with cash, etc..

I wish there was a way to weed them out, so tired of flakes.

#25 5 years ago

I'm almost the opposite of this post. 3 or 4 hours of travel is hard for me to arrange. Add in weather (open bed truck), and most the time I tell the seller to go ahead and sell it before I even arrange to make it over. Always worried I won't like it or take too long, and give them the option to sell out from under me. PM'd a lot of good people tho, and don't leave them hanging...

#26 5 years ago

Gotta have thick skin. If they were truly interested, they would have thanked you. In my opinion, if someone asks for more pics, I say sure- I'll ad them to the original ad so everyone else can see them. Always act as if you have several others interested, and your buyer is not the only one asking for more info.

#27 5 years ago

I just tell people "until you turn in a non refundable deposit, the game goes to whoever comes up with money first." Doing this for 7 years now, most of the time, I take enough pictures to pacify anyone - I tend to know th high traffic area on games I intend to sell.

If I take 30+ photos and someone still needs more (has not happened yet), I'm prepared to decline and wait for someone else. I have 25 hours worth of work in a 24 hour day. I value my free time, and I'm not wasting it taking photos of the inside of each leg or something equally silly. What I post here sells: every...single...time.

#28 5 years ago

Perhaps you are just a really bad photographer. Lol. Most people are idiot's. Learn to accept that and you will live longer.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

That's just there Alzheimer's kicking in.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I collect all the pics folks send me. Then I print them out. Then I roll around naked on them enjoying my feelings of power and manipulation.
    That’s not so bad, is it?
    I’m sure there is always that ‘disconnect’ between internet and reality. I normally don’t yell ‘fuck off’ in the middle of a disagreement or walk away.

That was funny. Pinside needs a laugh or two every so often.

#31 5 years ago

If you say not interested, you are a tire kicker. If you say why you aren't interested often people start an argument with you. Favorite was a Family guy someone was asking a good chunk of money for. Very nice machine until he showed that one side of the cab was wrecked due to spilling a chemical on it. Total deal breaker for me, made the mistake of saying why I didn't want it. Back and forth endlessly from this guy getting crazier and crazier all for a game I had said no thanks to.

#32 5 years ago

It was a couple years ago so I'm over it. But yea, very annoying. Seller got cold feet when I was actually on the road to buy it, then he used the wife excuse.

A man is only as good as his word. If the deal was struck, especially with the buyer en route, the seller should've gone through with it regardless of his "feelings". Man card revoked if you ask me.

#33 5 years ago

I solve this problem by posting plenty of pictures with my listing, instead of making people ask for them.

#34 5 years ago

I think this is a very nice post and good for other people to see. I've always tried to be as respectful as I could be whenever going to look into anything for sale or selling anything for that matter. This is such a niche hobby and countless times I've reconnected with people just from coincidence. It's important to establish a good connection with people in general but in pinball even more so cause you might really want to buy another game or sell a game and have a run in. Make a good impression!

1 week later
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I just tell people "until you turn in a non refundable deposit, the game goes to whoever comes up with money first." Doing this for 7 years now, most of the time, I take enough pictures to pacify anyone - I tend to know th high traffic area on games I intend to sell.
    If I take 30+ photos and someone still needs more (has not happened yet), I'm prepared to decline and wait for someone else. I have 25 hours worth of work in a 24 hour day. I value my free time, and I'm not wasting it taking photos of the inside of each leg or something equally silly. What I post here sells: every...single...time.

I’ll BUY IT! WHATEVER IT IS!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-about-a-little-common-courtesy-people?hl=slapnuts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.