20230926_194647 (resized).jpg
20230921_085209 (resized).jpg
20230920_180104 (resized).jpg
20230920_180010 (resized).jpg
20230919_070857 (resized).jpg
20230919_170016 (resized).jpg
20230919_170006 (resized).jpg
20230919_165938 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#441 3 years ago

My latest board. Created for a customer to fix his non functioning moon magnet feature. Now offering them for other apollo 13 fans.

IMG_7401 (resized).JPGIMG_7401 (resized).JPG

Brief summary of update/improvements/changes

• Sega service note upgrades included
• Mosfet zener diode gate protection
• High current (36A) MOSFET included
• Led status light on magnet drive signal
• Fully plate through parts
• Custom Blue PCB for "we're going to the moon" ramp and rail powercoat match

See here to order. £40 each, plus shipping

https://www.mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

dam applejuice.. leaving no sega magnet stone unturned. I sold my Twister with the board uninstalled. Next owner put it in with no issues.

Yes, these apollo 13 mag boards were alot easier to create than the monster twister/golden eye ones Over 65 twister/golden eye games saved now to.

2 years later
#573 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Bit of an update on my moon magnet, worked briefly and then stopped again
It's not blowing the fuse so i'm pretty sure the transistor on the moon magnet board is still ok. I pulled the 7 segment board and tested the 3 transistors on there that are involved with sending the power and hold signals to the moon magnet board and it appears (if i've done the testing properly) that at least 2 have gone awol. Other thing i did notice is that this board has either been repaired a few times before (replacing the 3 transistors) OR it was done really badly the one time because the tracks are lifting somewhat at 2 of the 3 transistors.
I recently had ordered an after market moon magnet board from applejuice whom i've bought items from before and decided to ask Jim if he had any plans on recreating the 7 segment board also as it seems to be as problematic as the small moon magnet board. I know he does awesome work with his boards and mods so was hoping the 7 segment board could be done also. Received a reply from Jim that he'll look into doing this board soon so if any of you guys want to replace either the moon magnet board or (hopefully soon) the 7 segment board with more robust versions this is his website >>> https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp
In the meantime will probably send my board to a local tech guy cause i'm a bit nervous about replacing the 3 transistors considering the track issue. I don't have the best soldering/de-soldering gear so don't want to risk stuffing the board up.
I'll definitely be buying a more robust version from Jim when he gets to doing these as it will be far better than the standard Sega board, plus of course those original boards just aren't available anymore.

Progress. Some adjustments to make still but I have this now. There will be sone options for different control/pulse patterns for the moon magnet to. Maybe an option for different segment colours to (not sure yet)

F83516DB-8847-4DAD-97C4-98D4D136082B (resized).jpegF83516DB-8847-4DAD-97C4-98D4D136082B (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#585 1 year ago

First prototypes for the new 7 segment/magnet driver/lamp pcb are here. Looking good, now to populate and test. I also have to write the controller firmware for the pcb to. Checking some of the fitments to.

IMG_5778 (resized).JPGIMG_5778 (resized).JPG

#588 1 year ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

Please don't mind what is likely a dumb question: Is the board an enhancement bringing new features or replacing original equipment, no longer available? Thanks.

The main idea is just to replace the unobtanium failing originals, as per the request from Mancave , but i also thought of a few possible improvements/upgrades for it to, but those will be discussed later. The first job is to make a functional replacement.

#594 1 year ago

Can someone take some pics of the 7 segment pcb under the playfield and show how the the connectors fit onto the pcb. I need to know which way round they plug on.

Thanks

PS this is progress so far on assembly testing

E320F76B-A8FC-4B0A-AEFC-68704C963F85 (resized).jpegE320F76B-A8FC-4B0A-AEFC-68704C963F85 (resized).jpeg

#595 1 year ago

Also, the first pass of the new controller firmware is written. There should be quite bit of customisation of settings for moon magnet timing control. I have pulled some firmware code from my indy and whirlwind controller pcbs ics, so i have full control of the drive of the moon magnet. I can set any pulse, ppm (duty) we want. Also i have a complete control set for the 7 segment displays. I am using new displays as the old ones are long gone, and there will be a few colour options. (red, green, white etc)

IMG_5787 (resized).JPGIMG_5787 (resized).JPG

#597 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Hopefully these well help you out Jim but let me know if you need anything more specific [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Mancave:

Hopefully these well help you out Jim but let me know if you need anything more specific [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks very useful as now i know the connectors are facing inwards towards each other

#601 1 year ago

Some pics of testing the magnet control pulses.

What i've done is to setup a 35ms power pulse and then a 10% duty (2ms on 18ms off) hold pwm pulse. These settings can be very easily tweaked in the main controller firmware based on user feedback. Much better than the old hardware setup for the original board. Also there is no way now of rthe magnet to be 'locked on' from this board, because the on control is now a single pulse not a signal just to turn on.

IMG_5886 (resized).JPGIMG_5886 (resized).JPG

IMG_5887 (resized).JPGIMG_5887 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#612 1 year ago

What i'd really like to see and know is how far away this switch on the ramp is that starts the moon magnet grab feature. Anyone able to post a picture of it and work out long long it takes the ball to get from switch to moon magnet on an average shot etc?

Also, on an original board, when the switch is activated does it instantly start the moon grab feature? ie magnet is on as soon as the ball rolls past the switch?

#616 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

From memory, you have to activate moon gravity which is the yellow light on the ramp.
A couple ways to do that-
-start moon hurry up (up in pops) then blue ramp
-light super jackpot during 3ball (follow dmd) to enable gravity then shoot blue ramp
-plunge start mission/if you get moon mission- then 3 Ramp shots

What i want to know is (once the moon gravity/magnet feature is activated from the ramp switch), does the magnet grab cycle turn on from the switch activation or is there a small delay beforehand?

3 weeks later
#623 11 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Not sure but it keeps saying don't give up something ,I can find out what it's says too be sure in the morning

"don't give up odyssey"

when you drain and its ball save, the answer is don't drain so fast!!

3 weeks later
#647 10 months ago

Rev2 prototype pcbs, ready for testing with my beta guys

IMG_7444 (resized).JPGIMG_7444 (resized).JPGIMG_7445 2 (resized).JPGIMG_7445 2 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houston-weve-had-a-problem-here-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-apollo-13-club-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-everyone-welcome?tu=applejuice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.