20230926_194647 (resized).jpg
20230921_085209 (resized).jpg
20230920_180104 (resized).jpg
20230920_180010 (resized).jpg
20230919_070857 (resized).jpg
20230919_170016 (resized).jpg
20230919_170006 (resized).jpg
20230919_165938 (resized).jpg
There are 714 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 2 years ago

My auto launch coil is sticking every 4 or 5 times when testing in the menu and is staying extended. Sometimes it sticks every time and then 4 or 5 times later it will stick.
-changed the sleeve, no help.
-changed to a new replacement Stern coil and the included sleeve, no help.
-when you barely touch the rod when sticking with power on, it retracts like normal.
-when rod extends and gets stuck, I turn the main power off but rod stays extended. Slight touch and it retracts.
-There is not any power going to coil after it sticks.
-occasionally it will unstick itself and reseat.

Could the transistor drive it outward too hard causing it to mechanically stick, even though the power stops applying?
Maybe I need to polish or replace the rod? Might try a stronger return spring if I can find one. Any source for the rod or the spring?

#502 2 years ago

Took possession of a nice Apollo last week. I see various retailers selling side art. Though because of the shooter lane it doesn't seem like side art could fit. The metal for the shooter on the side is riveted in. Has anyone only put in a left side? Only one side would probably look weird. Seems as though no side art for this table.

#503 2 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

Been looking for a moon belt for 2 years, believe many others are in the same situation. Hope one day someone works on a solution.

Quoted from zebpin61:

I too would be interested in a new replacement moon belt. In the interim, if your existing belt still has half of the belt intact, you can attempt to reposition the belt 180 degrees since the operation doesn't actually use the full belt. This approach has worked on my game. The only challenge I had was finding the ideal position of the belt so the normal operation wouldn't get too close to the compromised section(s). Good luck!

I am about to make these belts, I ordered some parts to make replacements ones but they gave lead time 6 weeks. I am going to build 4-5 pieces, I willl let you know when I am ready.

#504 2 years ago

Put me down for a belt!!

I'm about to install the side-blades and noticed the metal bar that guides the ball during ball launch. My thought is to cut the side-blades so it does not interfere with the metal bar.

#505 2 years ago

Do you remove the balls before lifting the playfield to the Service position?

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

I am about to make these belts, I ordered some parts to make replacements ones but they gave lead time 6 weeks. I am going to build 4-5 pieces, I willl let you know when I am ready.

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

#507 2 years ago

installed side art without removing metal bar , no problems!

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.30.32 (2) (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.30.32 (2) (resized).jpeg
#508 2 years ago

The side art is just going over the metal bar?

#509 2 years ago

Side blades look great. I'll install the side blades over the metal bar.

#510 2 years ago

over the metal bar, yes.

adhesive applied in cut pvc, and boxed pvc.

1 week later
#511 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

I am definitely also a buyer for a belt. Appreciate the effort that you are going to!

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from somnambulist:

I am definitely also a buyer for a belt. Appreciate the effort that you are going to!

Still waiting the material, unfortunately I won’t make a lot of them. If they work I will reorder to fix more. I will post once I have any news.

#513 2 years ago

Having a 13 ball multi-ball issue and wondering if this is due to the code or is there something else to check. The ball ejects from the rocket with no issue except for when its 13 ball multi-ball. After all the balls drain the last ball remains in the rocket and does not eject. Game does a ball search and it still does not eject. Game then shoots a new ball onto the playfield. Here is a picture of the ball under the rocket. The switch works good. Any suggestions?

A13 (resized).jpgA13 (resized).jpg
#514 2 years ago

It was a sticky switch 51, rocket down position.

1 month later
#515 2 years ago

Does anyone have a complete list of LEDs for A13? Looks like Comet doesn't sell kits for this game, so my best option is probably just to buy them separately.

Thanks.

#516 2 years ago

Purchased the entire kit off eBay. He did a great matching job too.

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Purchased the entire kit off eBay. He did a great matching job too.

Which seller? I can't seem to find any kits for A13.

#518 2 years ago

My game is missing the "8-ball lock through assembly" located in the far left corner. Anyone has any ideas were I can try to get a hold of one?

20220201_173532~2 (resized).jpg20220201_173532~2 (resized).jpg
#519 2 years ago
Quoted from Triball:

My game is missing the "8-ball lock through assembly" located in the far left corner. Anyone has any ideas were I can try to get a hold of one?
[quoted image]

Ouch, that's a challenge. At least you have the plunger that holds the ball lock, but you are missing the actual trough and the switch membrane. The membrane is now available, but you'd have to fabricate some sort of trough to hold the balls.

I don't want to rip my game apart, but assuming the manual is accurate (so long as I scaled it properly) I could trace it and create a 3d model as a starting point.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/181-5000-00
8-ball lock trough assembly (resized).png8-ball lock trough assembly (resized).png

#520 2 years ago

alright I went ahead and 3d modeled the trough. it may not be accurate since I only measured the 1.2" width (it would be more accurate if I took a dimension from one side to the other) but this is a decent starting point. I can send you STL files if you want to try to find a local 3d printer service to get one printed up to check fit.
SW_a13_8-ball_trough (resized).pngSW_a13_8-ball_trough (resized).png

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

(it would be more accurate if I took a dimension from one side to the other) but this is a decent starting

Wow! This is amazing! Thank you for your effort. I will give this a shot. I have a friend who do 3D prints and may help me out here. Thanks again! I'll send you a PM.

1 month later
#522 2 years ago

Got a color DMD installed today. So awesome in this machine. So many details that I never noticed before. I like a shaker motor on my machines. And really enjoying chasing achievements on the 2 machines I've put IC on. But, I agree with my wife, that a color DMD on Apollo could be the single best mod we've added

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from CypherPinball:

Got a color DMD installed today. So awesome in this machine. So many details that I never noticed before. I like a shaker motor on my machines. And really enjoying chasing achievements on the 2 machines I've put IC on. But, I agree with my wife, that a color DMD on Apollo could be the single best mod we've added

I installed the colorDMD the second it became available 5 years back. The only thing that would make it even more awesome is if this was one of the double height SEGA titles instead of the standard.

1 month later
#524 2 years ago

Was able to resin print the rocket this weekend. 21 hours! think I'll be working on casting these to save time. Electronics are nearing completion for the engines too!

Brian

20220410_122500 (resized).jpg20220410_122500 (resized).jpg20220410_131630 (resized).jpg20220410_131630 (resized).jpg20220410_131703 (resized).jpg20220410_131703 (resized).jpg20220410_131715 (resized).jpg20220410_131715 (resized).jpg
#525 2 years ago

Looks better than what Sega made!!

#526 2 years ago
Quoted from Triball:

[quoted image]

I think I have this complete assy in my lockup , send me a pm and your offer and I can have a look. shipping is from the Netherlands

#527 2 years ago

Congratulations friend, very good work.
I'm glad to know that many people love this game as much as I do.

Could you make the file available for printing?

Quoted from bpull:

Consegui imprimir o foguete com resina neste fim de semana. 21 horas! acho que estarei trabalhando em lançar estes para economizar tempo. A eletrônica também está quase pronta para os motores!
Brian
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1 month later
#528 1 year ago

I'm in need of the "Danger Exhaust" decal on the trough upkicker. I see someone asked in the thread about a year ago, but I didn't see any replies. I've searched the usual parts suppliers and can't find any decal sets. Has anyone made reproductions or have artwork/scans available?

#529 1 year ago

I'm someone who is struggling to find a plastic set for this game being as a lot of my plastics are either broken or missing.

I was speaking to someone at CPR (https://classicplayfields.com/) about another product and they mentioned that they are currently working on a new mirrored backglass for Apollo 13.

I asked if they'd be willing to do an Apollo 13 plastic set and they said they'd consider doing a plastic set for the game if they can get a hold of a NOS set.

If anyone has a NOS plastic set, even if they don't want to sell it. It would be awesome if you could reach out to them about potentially using your parts to make a new set.

If you do want to sell it, I'm willing to buy it, and I can reach out to them again to try and get them to use it to make another set.

1 month later
#530 1 year ago

We are having an issue where in 13 ball multiball, about 50% of the time it won't release all the balls from the bank of 8. Sometimes 1 will be left, other times 4 balls won't be left, it varies. The coil just isn't staying down long enough. And it's weird because it's not consistent. Sometimes it will release all 8, other times not. Any ideas what might be going on? I've felt with my finger and the coil isn't hot or anything. I even increased my pitch a bit, to see if that would help, If the balls just aren't rolling fast enough. But that didn't really make a difference either. Thoughts?

#531 1 year ago

We are having an issue where in 13 ball multiball, about 50% of the time it won't release all the balls from the bank of 8. Sometimes 1 will be left, other times 4 balls won't be left, it varies. The coil just isn't staying down long enough. And it's weird because it's not consistent. Sometimes it will release all 8, other times not. Any ideas what might be going on? I've felt with my finger and the coil isn't hot or anything. I even increased my pitch a bit, to see if that would help, If the balls just aren't rolling fast enough. But that didn't really make a difference either. Thoughts?

Check the plastic bushing in the playfield for the solenoid plunger to see if it's impeding the travel. I found my plunger binding with plastic bushing and ultimately removed the bushing entirely, haven't had a problem with the plunger holding or releasing the 8 ball reserve since. Hope it helps.

#532 1 year ago

I ran into this when I had high carbon pinballs installed on the machine. Essentially, those pinballs hold more of a magnetic charge than regular pinballs. Meaning, the magnet from the moon, would charge them, then the top 4 balls would have a slight hold and would resist falling down in the time the game allots for all 8 balls to drop.

Switching to regular pinballs fixed the issue for me.

#533 1 year ago

hello
is has been a while but have been very sick , a time ago i bought at Marco BALL TROUGH GUIDE PLATE STERN 4 BALL
535-7801-00 for my apollo 13 lane problems i am looking for service builitin on how to install this
is there anyone who can help me or make a picture of his apollo 13 ball lane on how to install this correctly ?
thank you very much in advance for any help greetings Tony

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg
#534 1 year ago

Recently worked on an Apollo 13 and noticed all three amps were populated. Any one else have this?

20220717_081112 (resized).jpg20220717_081112 (resized).jpg

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from chad:

Recently worked on an Apollo 13 and noticed all three amps were populated. Any one else have this?
[quoted image]

Mine looks the same.

20220724_235510.jpg20220724_235510.jpg
#536 1 year ago

Hi

would it be possible to send me a picture on how to install this BALL TROUGH GUIDE PLATE i can't find any pictures
thank you in advance

tony

Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I've been struggling with bad ball trough feed for a few years.
That is when the coil should release a ball to feed the upkicker, the balls remained stuck, and not advancing.
Adjusted the switches to the most sensitive way, replaced all 13 (!) balls to non magnetic, cleaned the full mech, checked and fixed any pits in the trough rail, checked game pitch and leveling, etc... no solution
I can now say I finally fixed the problem by doing this.
I added the extra rail to the trough that was later added to sega/stern machines. For example IJ4 had a seperate update kit for this that had these parts:
trough ball guide plate 535-7801-00 (1 pce)
1/4" x 5/16" x 0.144" I.D. Spacer Tap. 254-5014-03 (1 pce)
#2-56 x 1/2" HWH-SER TF (Larger Head) 237-5937-01 OR 237-5937-01 (6 pcs)
In case anyone has thee same problem, this is your fix!
[quoted image]

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Mine looks the same. [quoted image]

Thank you, I thought maybe they were experimenting with 3 channel .

1 week later
#538 1 year ago

Found the solution with help frpoù stern closed

Quoted from tonybelgium:

hello
is has been a while but have been very sick , a time ago i bought at Marco BALL TROUGH GUIDE PLATE STERN 4 BALL
535-7801-00 for my apollo 13 lane problems i am looking for service builitin on how to install this
is there anyone who can help me or make a picture of his apollo 13 ball lane on how to install this correctly ?
thank you very much in advance for any help greetings Tony
[quoted image]

4 weeks later
#539 1 year ago

I have one black wire from the moon magnet that is not connected to anything. Can someone tell me or post a pic of where it goes?

DA2C7605-BDEA-488B-8D86-106B9F641A2E (resized).jpegDA2C7605-BDEA-488B-8D86-106B9F641A2E (resized).jpeg
#540 1 year ago

My moon magnet has two black wires and one is connected to nothing. Can someone post me a pic of where it goes (or tell me)? It would be greatly appreciated.

Apollo magnet wire (resized).jpgApollo magnet wire (resized).jpg
1 month later
#541 1 year ago

I modded the rocket with LEDs.

Drilled holes through each exhaust pipe.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

Installed 5x 24v LEDs which I connected to a small AC-DC rectifier board.
4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

Removed the flashers from the plate below the rocket and connected the 20v flash connector to the AC-side of the rectifier board.

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

About 15 usd in LEDs and the little board. And quite some time with careful drilling

#542 1 year ago

Looks awesome!

#543 1 year ago
Quoted from Triball:

I modded the rocket with LEDs.
Drilled holes through each exhaust pipe.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Installed 5x 24v LEDs which I connected to a small AC-DC rectifier board.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Removed the flashers from the plate below the rocket and connected the 20v flash connector to the AC-side of the rectifier board.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
About 15 usd in LEDs and the little board. And quite some time with careful drilling

Really looks great! Ironically today I pulled some old notes out along with the owners manual thinking that I'd once again address the original 4 flashers associated to that rocket during multi-ball. I recall reading the designed circuit exceeds the 102 original and replacement 122 transistors. You've taken it to a whole new dimension! Well done.

#544 1 year ago

Thanks guys! I think it turned out great as well. Haven't had any problems with the transistors on the flamps, but I've changed all bulbs to LEDs. The current is quite a bit lower. A13 was my first big restoration of a game. Had a great time doing it.

1 month later
#545 1 year ago
Quoted from Fiddler:

Meu ímã lunar tem dois fios pretos e um não está conectado a nada. Alguém pode me postar uma foto de onde ele vai (ou me dizer)? Seria muito apreciado.
[quoted image]

a screw in the wood to connect this wire to another wire with this same terminal. the other wire has this same terminal. he is thrown right there near the hole of the moon

1 month later
#546 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I'm thinking about being in "the club" I will set the scene before the question >>> I've only owned Williams/Bally machines in the past/present, apart from a Stern Wyld fire when i was in my teens. I have the opportunity to purchase an Apollo 13 machine, it's in bits but complete and looks to be in pretty bloody good shape. I have some experience in putting pins back together and what i lack in some technical ability i have access to others that do. Here's the question/s to all you owners and lovers of this machine.... What is the main issues you guys would think of for someone considering buying this machine, that question includes the obvious, difficult or non existent parts, issues with fixing or even access to parts needing replacement and on the non technical side, enjoyment- long term playability. I will add that i have a Judge Dredd, Getaway, Revenge From Mars, Fish Tales and Bride of Pinbot currently in my lineup. If i've missed any other criteria then please fill in the gaps. TY!

Well it took 6 years but i'm going to the MOOOONNNN!!!
Just bought a fairly decent example that is mostly all working, cab is quite sound and has been re-decaled with the alternative decals. Everything works except the moon magnet which the previous owner said had stopped working a few months ago so he disconnected it (said the moon was feeling warm in that area) and the display has a couple of lines out (just purchased a really good 2nd hand display) Really looking forward to diving into this title Still has the factory mylar attached which does appear to be still quite good but the whole machine does need a good clean. Couple of obvious things that have stood out so far is that all the pads behind the targets are perished or gone and some of the powder coating on the rails is getting a bit sad. The machine had been partially changed to LEDS so there's still quite a few to swap over. Bit of work ahead indeed but loving the game play so far!!

DSC05952 (resized).JPGDSC05952 (resized).JPGDSC05953 (resized).JPGDSC05953 (resized).JPGDSC05954 (resized).JPGDSC05954 (resized).JPG
#547 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Just bought a fairly decent example that is mostly all working, cab is quite sound and has been re-decaled with the alternative decals. Everything works except the moon magnet which the previous owner said had stopped working a few months ago so he disconnected it (said the moon was feeling warm in that area) and the display has a couple of lines out (just purchased a really good 2nd hand display) Really looking forward to diving into this title Still has the factory mylar attached which does appear to be still quite good but the whole machine does need a good clean. Couple of obvious things that have stood out so far is that all the pads behind the targets are perished or gone and some of the powder coating on the rails is getting a bit sad. The machine had been partially changed to LEDS so there's still quite a few to swap over. Bit of work ahead indeed but loving the game play so far!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations on joining the A13 Club! Your alternate cabinet decals look nicer than the original set. Your moon appears to have been painted and the rocket engine boosters painted red inside (which is a nice touch). I've got everything working finally after resolving the rocket flasher circuit issue. Ironically, my moon stopped working about a 7 months ago but after replacing a broken wire just as it exits the moon, my magnet is back in operation. Be really careful with the moon belt as that baby is unabtainabum. I had to realign my moon belt 180deg to gain access to the remaining links, but it still works. It's a great game and always feels rewarding to play. Enjoy!

#548 1 year ago

Replacement moon belts for Apollo 13 may be available in a few weeks if all goes well. I've been working with a supplier to have them reproduced. Once I get a sample and confirm fit on my game, I'll post an update.

#549 1 year ago

What is that on your Fish Tales a Topper's topper ? ...Nice looking Apollo, Congrats

#550 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! A13 is a really good game, love mine! pity that the up-down ramp is used so little....that shot is super satisfying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

There are 714 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houston-weve-had-a-problem-here-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-apollo-13-club-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-everyone-welcome/page/11?hl=morgoth00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.