20230920_180104 (resized).jpg
20230920_180010 (resized).jpg
20230919_070857 (resized).jpg
20230919_170016 (resized).jpg
20230919_170006 (resized).jpg
20230919_165938 (resized).jpg
20230919_165908 (resized).jpg
20230919_070905 (resized).jpg

There are 712 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 9 years ago

I've found an Apollo 13 and it's going to be delivered next Friday. I will post pictures when I get it.

There really is not much info out there on this game. Not many mods mentioned or even pictures posted. There are a few videos on youTube and there is one cool mod where somebody put LEDs inside the blasters on the rocket.

Lets all start here with pictures and mods that you have done. How about some ideas for mods?

#2 9 years ago

For a game that is loaded with features it doesn't seem to get much respect. I bought my SST a couple of years ago and not regretted it one bit. This baby will go right next to it.

The first thing I will be doing to mine when I get it is take off that factory mylar.

#3 9 years ago

I will join for a day, then exit. My Apollo 13 will be leaving tomorrow afternoon (between noon and 3) to travel to its new home. Pappy, please send me some pics with the mylar removed. I think that will look fantastic!

#4 9 years ago

Finally found one yesterday!!!!
Just stood in a storage for ages.

Glad to added this to my collection.

Greetings Bas

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I will join for a day, then exit. My Apollo 13 will be leaving tomorrow afternoon (between noon and 3) to travel to its new home. Pappy, please send me some pics with the mylar removed. I think that will look fantastic!

Will do buddy. I'm going to do a few things like paint that ship and the inside of the cabinet. Probably some other mods too. Looking forward to a little pinball work. It's what I really enjoy doing, although it's hot as hell here in Texas. I will post pictures of the whole process.

#6 9 years ago

Im interested in this title as well. Would love to see some pictures in and around the pf. Post a vid or two.
Not much hq stuff out there.

#7 9 years ago

There is one on my craigslist near Kansas City for sale:

kansascity.craigslist.org link

In case anyone is interested. I have no knowledge of the machine, the seller, or its condition....

#8 9 years ago

I've always thought about getting this game, never played it though. Love the theme and pf.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from BasD:

Finally found one yesterday!!!!
Just stood in a storage for ages.

Post some pictures. Love to see the condition of that game after it's been sitting in storage so long.

#10 9 years ago

I have one and like it a lot, but then I think many of the Sega titles from this time period are underrated. It has great toys (rocket, moon magnet), and I love the use of actual movie audio clips. Some are so obscure that I find myself laughing when they come up. Great for any fan of the movie. I can do without the video mode, but that is a minor gripe. 13 ball multiball is a gimmick. It is fun to queue it up when friends come over to let them feel the rush, but that is about it. The game plays fast and compared to the other two I currently have (TSPP and LOTR) it is a nice to be able to play something short. At one time I had it next to a space shuttle and contemplated some of the other space titles.

There are not very many out there and it always looks like someone is searching for it. Not a month goes by that I don't get contacted either here or on pinballowners by someone looking to pick one up. It is the likely next one to leave my collection, but I am not in too much of a hurry since I do like it both for game play and theme. My preference would be to trade it locally for something, but that is always tough. Cash offers always seem to be a little too low to prompt me to sell as I am not motivated since I haven't decided what I would want to replace it with yet. Prices on most pins have gone up in recent years, but the Sega titles don't seem to have taken off as much from what I have seen.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sp005:

13 ball multiball is a gimmick.

I hear if you set the settings to hard play the game is much better. Much harder to reach the 13 ball multiball.
Have you done any mods to it? Lets see some pictures.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I hear if you set the settings to hard play the game is much better. Much harder to reach the 13 ball multiball.

I do have the 13 ball setting set to hard and it is fine for my play.

Negative on the mods. Not my thing. While I have seen the rare one that looks good, in general I like my machines to look and play like they would be on route.

#13 9 years ago

You can also play in tournament mode by holding the left flipper (I think) while pressing start. This keeps the blastoff from carrying over between games, making you earn the 13 ball multiball each game.

#14 9 years ago

Anybody looking for a nice one lmk; I will be putting mine up for sale soon

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

You can also play in tournament mode by holding the left flipper (I think) while pressing start. This keeps the blastoff from carrying over between games, making you earn the 13 ball multiball each game.

That's good to know, thanks Nexyss.

#16 9 years ago

Nice club...anyone has an AP13 with the moon magnet working? Never actually seen it in action, every AP13 I've played had the magnet out of commission.

#17 9 years ago

I will be psoting mine for sale and it is real nice; everything on it including the moon magnet is working and it has the topper also. Going to list it at 2600 firm; it is a real nice one; comes with manual and pincab protectors also.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I will be psoting mine for sale and it is real nice; everything on it including the moon magnet is working and it has the topper also. Going to list it at 2600 firm; it is a real nice one; comes with manual and pincab protectors also.

That's a fair price. Did you do any mods to it? Post some pictures here when you get it ready.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nice club...anyone has an AP13 with the moon magnet working? Never actually seen it in action, every AP13 I've played had the magnet out of commission.

This is a nice video that shows all the features in the game, including the moon magnet. It's not mine.

#20 9 years ago

Pappy, go back and watch that video after you have played a few games on your game. You will really appreciate the difference the LED OCD board makes when you compare these choppy lighting effects to it.

I know the moon rotates like that because I have seen it in the test. I have never actually made it do it in a game though. I like playing these games, but I am not particularly good at them. Apollo has about the tightest shots I have ever seen.

#21 9 years ago

Post some pictures. Love to see the condition of that game after it's been sitting in storage so long.

Will do, just finished cleaning it up a little bit. It was the cleanest game I ever bought.
Not a single light was broken. Very clean cabinet and fresh white in the backbox.
So glad the batteries did not leak!!! I only need to replace to locks because it came without keys.

Love the shaker motor!!!!

Greetings,
Bas

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Pappy, go back and watch that video after you have played a few games on your game. You will really appreciate the difference the LED OCD board makes when you compare these choppy lighting effects to it.

Will do, I'm really looking forward to seeing the OCD board difference. BTW do you have to plug in a laptop to make and edits to the software? How do you adjust the light settings?

#23 9 years ago

The magnet on my A13 works. Pretty cool, carries the ball over.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from BasD:

Love the shaker motor!!!!

I forgot about the shaker motor. When does it go off? Is it integrated well into the game?

#25 9 years ago

My baby is on the way. Should be here on Wednesday.

IMG_20140710_154335.jpgIMG_20140710_154335.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Will do, I'm really looking forward to seeing the OCD board difference. BTW do you have to plug in a laptop to make and edits to the software? How do you adjust the light settings?

There is a USB cable that you can pull out through the coin door to connect to a laptop (I use my Windows tablet) to adjust the settings. The stock settings are good. I have played with the settings a bit on another game just to test it out, but I haven't seen any real need to change them from the stock values. There is a pass through though, so you can basically turn the LED OCD off to see the difference on the same machine.

#27 9 years ago

I forgot about the shaker motor. When does it go off? Is it integrated well into the game?

The shaker is insane! It is definitely the most powerful shaker I have seen, and I think it adds a lot to the game. I knew I needed a shaker in AC/DC and Metallica after seeing how good it can be in this game.

#28 9 years ago

When your play goes into multiball after you launch the rocket. It doesn't have to be the 13-ball multi. It also goes off during some of the missions, though I don't remember which ones. Nonetheless, you're gonna love it! It' a really cool pin!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

When your play goes into multiball after you launch the rocket. It doesn't have to be the 13-ball multi. It also goes off during some of the missions, though I don't remember which ones. Nonetheless, you're gonna love it! It' a really cool pin!

Cool, I can't wait! Will post pictures tomorrow when I get it.

#30 9 years ago

Anybody have some pictures to share of their Apollo 13? Mod Ideas?

#31 9 years ago

Exciting waiting for your machine. I am sure you really like it! Will post some pics of mine soon.

Had sime friends with kids over. Loved to see them react to the shakking and the 13 blast off!!!!

Greetings from the netherlands, Bas

#32 9 years ago

Hope someone here can help me out with an Apollo 13 issue had some recent work done on it very minor stuff but after transporting it home it now wont recognize/ register the 8 balls in the upper holder .... powers up and everything but keeps giving an error msg. of 8 balls missing ?? any help or advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated , I know it has a type of optical sensor strip there but it looks fine

#33 9 years ago

Just found out today that my Apollo 13 won't be arriving until next Monday or Tuesday.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Hope someone here can help me out with an Apollo 13 issue had some recent work done on it very minor stuff but after transporting it home it now wont recognize/ register the 8 balls in the upper holder .... powers up and everything but keeps giving an error msg. of 8 balls missing ?? any help or advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated , I know it has a type of optical sensor strip there but it looks fine

If you have the manual, look up page 20. There you'll find the switch matrix. The common ground for all pads on the 8-ball trough is column 3 (green and orange wire). From there you should be able to activate the diagnostics in the "portal" section and test each individual switch (pad) on the matrix. If all pads are not registering you may find there's a loose wire, burned out transistor or loose pin on the connecting IDC.

From your description, it sounds as if a connector shook loose. Open up the backbox and check to see if any corresponding connectors are loose. If all else fails, give the cool guys at Stern a call (I-800-kickers). They have the manual to this pin and can walk you through some of the problems that may occur. Hope that helps.

#35 9 years ago

Thanks Pinball007 will do

#36 9 years ago

For a game that is loaded with features it doesn't seem to get much respect. I bought my SST a couple of years ago and not regretted it one bit. This baby will go right next to it.
The first thing I will be doing to mine when I get it is take off that factory mylar.

its what i would do too. remove the mylar. i think people have said shots are extremely difficult, but hey, it just means u have to play better.. at least its not a machine thats too easy. nice pick up.

#37 9 years ago

Got the game today. Now let the mod in' begin. Had some moon magnet issues but seems to be working fine now. The wires inside the magnet were broken.
IMG_3803.jpgIMG_3803.jpgIMG_3799.JPGIMG_3799.JPG

Got me some speaker lights and some cliffy colored post rubbers.

IMG_3802.JPGIMG_3802.JPG

#38 9 years ago

Next I have to repaint the rocket and figure out a way to build new mount tabs back on it. One is missing and the other is broken.
IMG_3805.jpgIMG_3805.jpg

#39 9 years ago

Very cool man....!!!....would love one some day....hope you have a "Blast" with it...hehe........Joey

#40 9 years ago

Congrats on the new pin looks real nice pappy!

I got one coming too

It's at a depot right now and It'll ship tomorrow. Hopefully I get it by the end of week

Super excited as Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies and I love space stuff.,.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Congrats on the new pin looks real nice pappy!

I got one coming too

It's at a depot right now and It'll ship tomorrow. Hopefully I get it by the end of week

Thanks. It's a fun game. Post some pictures here when you get it.

#42 9 years ago

Whooo! Those leds look great in your game!
Might put a few in mine also

Greetings from the netherlands,

Bas

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from BasD:

Whooo! Those leds look great in your game!
Might put a few in mine also

Thanks. They were already put in by the previous owner. He also added a OCD board which in my opinion makes a huge difference.

#44 9 years ago

looks nice pappy! Just FYI, the rocket is missing the top also. I believe it's a lightning rod of sort.
This is one game that will never leave my collection. I enjoy it too much.
Brian

#45 9 years ago

Beautiful pin.

Reminds me of Stargate for some reason.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

looks nice pappy! Just FYI, the rocket is missing the top also. I believe it's a lightning rod of sort.

Thanks bull, I was thinking of using a piece from a model kit. I just need to find one at the right scale.

#47 9 years ago

I watched a video of the 13 multiball and this is all I can say about it...
iu.jpgiu.jpg

#48 9 years ago

Mylar is coming off easily with the freeze spray. Playfield looks brand new underneath!

IMG_3839.jpgIMG_3839.jpgIMG_3840.JPGIMG_3840.JPGIMG_3841.JPGIMG_3841.JPG

#49 9 years ago

That playfield looks incredible now!

#50 9 years ago

Scraping the glue off now. Let the Goo Gone sit a few minutes and it comes off pretty easily. Now all I need to do is wax this baby. More pictures to come.
IMG_3843.JPGIMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3845.jpgIMG_3845.jpg
IMG_3844.jpgIMG_3844.jpg
IMG_3847.jpgIMG_3847.jpg

No wax at all. Just the original beauty that awaits underneath the mylar Wax goes on tonight. Pictures to follow.
IMG_3853.JPGIMG_3853.JPGIMG_3851.JPGIMG_3851.JPGIMG_3850.JPGIMG_3850.JPGIMG_3849.JPGIMG_3849.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 712 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houston-weve-had-a-problem-here-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-apollo-13-club-%e2%80%93%e2%80%93%e2%80%93-everyone-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.