Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D6896E6F-B073-417A-AA11-4F0527B4C963 (resized).jpeg
s-l500 (resized).jpg
59C6E08B-6CCF-4A88-817B-E80DCC10C9B9 (resized).jpeg
51544FAE-9036-4958-BAA7-34A71BCAD6F1 (resized).jpeg
1EA82EE8-B265-4A02-990C-05A4C1EA8A40 (resized).jpeg
148A14C2-E0F4-4B4E-A092-7A102CB44F54 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 12-01-56 r_whatsthisplant - Central VA USA what are these things growing on an oak tree They are certai
20230125_111625 (resized).jpg
20230125_111138 (resized).jpg
20230125_111146 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
15A47439-A543-4ECB-8117-96EFD3878145 (resized).jpeg
E6B278C8-C7A8-4C23-B20B-296130A6BF87 (resized).jpeg
C9BA712D-16CA-4A24-9A9D-8C66F260EFBA (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230106_175207_Facebook (resized).jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 70 days ago

As my Parlor Palm goes to seed, it seems like time to start the official House Plant thread.

(lets skip the marijuana, poppies and other mind altering plants - they have their own thread)

Has your Monstera become monstrous?

Got a rare orchid to bloom?

Your grandmas Jade plant is now 100 years old?

Is your Bonzi you got in Japan during the Vietnam war out growing it's pot?

Did the office make everyone take home a pandemic plant and now it's taken over your kitchen?

Lets see what you got.....
e9ca9b86b7167c46dd290a7350a0c2d5 (resized).png

#2 70 days ago

Parlor Palm is an unkillable plant that grows about 2m (7 feet) tall.

They say you can't propagate them in captivity, but the trick is to plant a group of them touching each other in the same pot. Male and female plants will grow and fertilize each other's "flowers" somehow.

IMG_20180202_205230547.jpg

The seeds are quite large, and you will hear them in the middle of the night dropping off the plant and a bouncing around the kitchen.

If that drives your wife crazy, you can just cut the flowers off when they mature and throw them in the compost pile.

#3 70 days ago

I have that exact plant, My daughter got it for me coming back from Florida in the airport . I was going to ask if you new what it was and what that piece was , but I was to lazy to take a picture then you did this post . What a coincidence!

#4 70 days ago
Quoted from Percula:

I have that exact plant, My daughter got it for me coming back from Florida in the airport . I was going to ask if you new what it was and what that piece was , but I was to lazy to take a picture then you did this post . What a coincidence!

That's crazy!

#5 70 days ago

Here is proof that you can propagate in captivity.

IMG_20221130_203017_Bokeh.jpg

The seeds take 6 months or so to germinate. I might try sanding down the shells and see if the process can be speeded up.
mother

#6 70 days ago

Mine is just a single plant and that stem shows up every 6 months or so, I just cut that piece off .

#7 69 days ago

that plant is huge .... reminds me of ....

Little-Shop-of-Horrors-e1560782203967 (resized).jpg
#8 69 days ago

<iframe id="reddit-embed" src="https://www.redditmedia.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/z9odfc/human_sized_bat/?ref_source=embed&amp;ref=share&amp;embed=true" sandbox="allow-scripts allow-same-origin allow-popups" style="border: none;" scrolling="no" width="640" height="620"></iframe>

#9 69 days ago

I would post some pictures, but I killed all my plants.

#10 69 days ago

We need a vids guide to growing houseplants!

#11 69 days ago

Another plant you can't kill is a Peace Lily.

The one in this picture is over 25 years old.

It lives in a windowless room and it's only source of light is a 9w LED bulb that burns all night as a night light

Even with such a small amount of light, it's still manages to flower once or twice a year.

Give it a thorough watering once a week and that's it.

There are different variants of peace lilies, some that are gigantic like the ones you see in the planters at the mall, and other smaller ones that barely get 6 in high.

Make sure you know what you are buying, or you could end up with a giant Audrey two

You can put them out in a gentle rain, or take them into the shower to wash all the dust off the leaves a couple times a year.

IMG_20221201_213915.jpg
#12 69 days ago

In the States, people often give the Lilies as funeral plants; so you can usually get some really nice ones for free.

Seniors can't move the giant ones, so offer to take a few.
Screenshot_2022-12-01-22-12-36-04_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

The darker green the leaves are, the less light that variety needs. This one could probably grow in the dark.

#13 69 days ago

Lol. I've killed a Peace Lily. Also managed to kill whatever plant is nicknamed "The mother in-law" because it also "can't be killed"

I'm pretty sure I watered them all to death. Or my over eager family collectively did is probably more accurate.

#14 69 days ago

The Peace Lily flowers produce seeds, but I've never had them germinate. Maybe some trick that you guys know?

They seem to just replicate until the pot is totally filled.

These somehow infested this planter from a nearby pot and became total ground cover, lol

IMG_20221201_215358.jpg

#15 69 days ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I'm pretty sure I watered them all to death. Or my over eager family collectively did is probably more accurate.

Next time, put an inch or two of pea gravel at the bottom of the pot. Then put the soil on top of the gravel

The extra water will drain out into the evaporation dish, rather than rot the under water roots

Many pots at home Depot do not have drainage holes - don't buy those

#16 68 days ago

vid1900 guide to plants !

awesome.

#17 68 days ago

If you are gifted a plant and the pot has no drainage holes in it, you will have to replace the pot or drill some holes.

Plastic pots you can drill with a normal twist drill bit designed for wood or steel.

This ceramic pot required a masonry bit.

If your drill motor has a setting for "hammer drill", obviously use that for drilling clay or ceramic.

IMG_20221202_143151.jpg

Note the strange tip on the end of a masonry drill bit:

Screenshot_2022-12-02-14-36-35-75_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
#18 68 days ago

I have a Mother in Law Tongue plant in my office. It's hard to kill.

#19 66 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

that plant is huge .... reminds me of ....
[quoted image]

This is my Venus Flytrap. It doesn't looks so hot, because it's been in my cold garage for a few weeks. I'm trying to force it into dormancy, since its good to give the plant a winter break.
When I brought it into the house, I keep it outside all spring and summer,it had six yellow jackets inside of a bunch of traps. Good, because I hate those little bastards.

IMG_20221204_130335576 (resized).jpg
#20 66 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you are gifted a plant and the pot has no drainage holes in it, you will have to replace the pot or drill some holes.
Plastic pots you can drill with a normal twist drill bit designed for wood or steel.
This ceramic pot required a masonry bit.
If your drill motor has a setting for "hammer drill", obviously use that for drilling clay or ceramic.
[quoted image]
Note the strange tip on the end of a masonry drill bit:[quoted image]

These work pretty nice too. I bought a set of five, 1/2" bits for under five bucks, and I'm still using my first one.
amazon.com link »

#21 62 days ago

This plant grows like a weed,I started it from a cutting last year.

IMG_20221208_100010684 (resized).jpg
#22 62 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

This is my Venus Flytrap. It doesn't looks so hot, because it's been in my cold garage for a few weeks. I'm trying to force it into dormancy, since its good to give the plant a winter break.
When I brought it into the house, I keep it outside all spring and summer, it had six yellow jackets inside of a bunch of traps. Good, because I hate those little bastards. [quoted image]

I grow venus fly traps too. You need to replant that guy after winter!!!

#23 62 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

When I brought it into the house, I keep it outside all spring and summer,it had six yellow jackets inside of a bunch of traps. Good, because I hate those little bastards. [quoted image]

I've always wanted to keep these, and pitchers and sundews, but I never could get the hang of it. What's your secret?

#24 62 days ago
Quoted from radium:

I've always wanted to keep these, and pitchers and sundews, but I never could get the hang of it. What's your secret?

Distilled water only. Tap water will eventually kill them. Rain water is good too.

And letting them go dormant each winter... and about every other year or so transplant them into a larger pot with the correct soil.

#25 62 days ago

disregard

#26 62 days ago

disregard

#27 62 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I grow venus fly traps too. You need to replant that guy after winter!!!

Yes ,I have my sphagnum moss ready for the spring .

#28 62 days ago
Quoted from radium:

I also have sundews and a pitcher plant. I told my wife we didn't have a lot of flies in the house this summer. Here I checked my picture plant this past August and each picture had three or more flies in them !
Here's a picture of my picture plant,I just removed the ones that were on their way out. The sundew plants do a great job capturing fungus nats.
Like blackbeard said,just use distilled water/rainwater, they're not really that hard to grow.
There's a lot of good online vendors where you can buy carnivorous plants. Just place your order a little before spring. They'll even include heat packs if it's cold outside.

IMG_20221208_130944013 (resized).jpg
#30 55 days ago

Nothing is sadder than a kitchen where someone's wife has plastic ivy draped along the top of the cabinets.

It looks like 1970, but not in a cool retro way.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 21-18-38 ufc81exdhia21.jpg (JPEG Image 800 × 542 pixels) (resized).png

It's especially sad, because a real live plant, the Purple Jew, will grow and thrive along all the cabinets and doorways.

IMG_20221215_213306.jpg

#31 55 days ago

The Purple Jew grows super fast.

Every place a vine finds an anchor point, it sends down a bunch more vines.

IMG_20221215_213135.jpg
#32 55 days ago

3M Command Hooks are perfect to train the plant along archways and cabinets
IMG_20221215_213930.jpg

The command hooks hold about 25 lb each, but can be removed without peeling the paint off of the walls.

#33 55 days ago

The Purple Jew is slightly brittle, but if a vine breaks off, just stick it into the dirt of the original pot and it will become a whole new plant.

About an inch before the break, a new vine will start at the last node.

Kind of like a kitchen weed, when they finally get too unruly, just snip them back and give the cuttings to your closest enemy.
IMG_20221215_213347.jpg

You can quickly get vines that are over 25 ft in length from the pot

#34 55 days ago

Tops of the leaves are dark green, undersides are purple

Plant repels pests with tiny hairs.

Truly unkillable. Needs more water than you expect, or leaves start to wilt.

A giant plant with ten 8 meter vines, will probably require daily watering.

If you come back from vacation and the plant has totally died, coil up a piece of dead vine, cover in about 1/2" of soil. Water lightly every 3 days. A new plant will arise from the dead vine.

IMG_20221215_220411.jpg

#35 54 days ago

Never seen a purple Jew. Nice lookin plant!

#36 54 days ago

I'm all about mediterranean (European) fan palms. Since I'm in zone 7b (within a few miles of 8a), I keep them indoors. I recently planted my Sago outdoor. It had been an indoor plant for the last 7 years. This is a fun hobby.

20221112_155948 (resized).jpg20221207_144543 (resized).jpg20221209_084930 (resized).jpg20221209_131555 (resized).jpg
#37 54 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Never seen a purple Jew. Nice lookin plant!

I'm not sure what the scientific name is for it, but every greenhouse has them in the hanging basket section

Edit: Tony says the Purple Jew is Gynura Sarmentosa. Thanks, even Google could not find that

#38 52 days ago

I tried to send Azmodeus a Bonzi , but the state of California somehow x-rayed the box and refused it because it is a banned plant, (and they broke it returning it to me). Many weeks later, it was still alive.

I know it's not a traditional asian bonzi, it's a Pony Tail Palm.

It's not really a palm either, but you can grow a rather large plant in a very small container.

They live over a hundred years. I think they are actually from Mexico originally.

Very little care needed, as the Pony stores water in its bulb shaped trunk .

IMG_20221218_144127.jpg

#39 52 days ago

The small pot helps keep the plant from growing too big.

When you see a Ponytail Palm planted outdoors in Central America, they are huge
01856-01_1800x1800 (resized).jpg

#40 52 days ago

If you like fancy, they wrap them with moss and twine, and then tie them down into really tiny pots.

There is a "Bonzi House" near me where the broad does this kind of thing. She tells her customers to bring the plant in once a year for **maintenance**, where she combs out the roots and trims them if needed.

There are people on Etsy who do it too, if you don't live in an area with a Bonzi store.
il_1140xN.2857273939_crwi (resized).jpg

#41 52 days ago

I like Hawaiian Hoya vines. My friend has one that is around 20 years old, I can’t keep them alive.

#42 48 days ago

Normally the only house plants you see at a big box hardware store are corn plants or fiddle leaf figs or something else that will certainly die quickly in your house

I stopped to get a replacement GFCI for one I have that's constantly tripping and found a couple of kinda exotic plants there.

IMG_20221222_173134.jpg

These Alocasia African Mask plants looked really healthy and we're really large for only 15 bucks each
IMG_20221222_154547.jpg

#43 48 days ago

These begonia maculata also looked really good and only $8 each

They were labeled pied Piper or something like that but....

IMG_20221222_154515.jpg
#44 48 days ago

Of course, just because this batch of plants looks healthy at Home Depot, that does not get you out of quarantining these plants far from your other plants in the house.

You should also spray them for the first two or three weeks for pests. Spray the tops and the undersides of all the leaves and the top layer of dirt.

I usually don't repot new plants at first, because they're already stressed ( you're changing the light levels) and then repotting them at the same time might just be too much for them.

I do usually pull them out of the pot just to make sure that there's no root rot to cut off, then I just tuck it back inside.

#45 48 days ago

We’ve been getting into house plants for the past year and we can’t stop adding more to the room. Most of them are doing well except for the money tree. Thinking my wife over watered it so trying to nurse it back to where it’s healthy again. And yes Vid, fiddle figs are definitely tough to keep alive (already had one casualty), but the other two are going strong luckily.

4A55D326-50FC-4DA8-842E-C56E9DAF6EDB (resized).jpegA6396813-F85D-4C55-B57F-0FE4649ED31E (resized).jpegE3EE6439-47D9-4685-A1F9-5C30F5E0E7FD (resized).jpegF8DE1A6C-32CC-4507-806D-862AE8B8096D (resized).jpeg
#46 48 days ago

I got into plants years ago because I used to breed Poison Arrow Frogs. I would go out looking specifically for plants that were infested with Aphids. Once they were all eaten from the plant I would give them to people and find new infested plants. Bromeliads, Orchids, Pothos, African Violets and Tea Roses were given away to anyone that wanted them. In order to keep the humidity at a good range in my Terrariums I had to add computer fans to keep the Orchids from dying off.

#47 48 days ago
Quoted from remf:

And yes Vid, fiddle figs are definitely tough to keep alive (already had one casualty), but the other two are going strong luckily.

Man, those Fiddle Figs are ass kickers.

I'm envious of yours.

I've got plenty of light, pretty good amount of humidity (all my aquariums and plants probably help with that), but still my Fiddles have always dropped leaves and only grown at the top.

The local funeral home has some monster fiddles, seemingly in a pretty dark location. I asked their secret, and they said that a plant rental company swaps them out every few weeks. That's cheating.

#48 47 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Man, those Fiddle Figs are ass kickers.
I'm envious of yours.
I've got plenty of light, pretty good amount of humidity (all my aquariums and plants probably help with that), but still my Fiddles have always dropped leaves and only grown at the top.
The local funeral home has some monster fiddles, seemingly in a pretty dark location. I asked their secret, and they said that a plant rental company swaps them out every few weeks. That's cheating.

Haha! Yeah, that’s definitely cheating. We found that keeping them in indirect light and ensure we don’t over water them is key to keeping them alive. Time will tell though..

#49 47 days ago

She called it a violin, I called it a fiddle

23%) (resized).png
#50 47 days ago

You give me a nice green healthy plant and it will be dead in 6 months or less. I'm not a good plant person. Not intentional. I like plants. I apologize for their untimely demise under my care. And Vid I swear there's nothing you don't seem to know. Plants, lava lamps, random electrical stuff, neon, stuff I forgot already. Keep sharing, it's awesome.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/house-plants-the-official-pinside-thread- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.