(Topic ID: 262576)

House Lights Flicker/Dim when Flippers are Pressed

By CDogster

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-02-26 20.27.02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sk8ersublime.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 3 years ago

old thread, but relevant. I have the same issue in my town house built in 2017. Electric was inspected/Tested during our build process.

CFL bulbs were in the can lights in my basement and i dont recall them dimming unless my laser printer kicked on.

I switched to LED bulbs, specifically cheap daylight bulbs from Walmart (Great Value), which very well might be the issue, but the definitely flicker when hitting a flipper. Ill have to see if it does it when a pop, sling or vuk coil go, ive never really paid attention, but it seems related to the LED bulbs as i didnt notice it with the CFLs.

EDIT: Also, ive never flipped a breaker while playing. I have 2 pins (South Park and TSPP) and a Pac-Man and TMNT cabinet, though rarely are they all on at the same time. I have had everything on at once for a pretty much an entire evening with friends over playing, and never flipped the breaker.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Most home LED bulbs unless defined Specifically for dimming will flicker if there is Any voltage drop as they assume they are being dimmed. Buy better Dimmable LED bulbs and I suspect your issue will be fine.

They actually are Dimmable LEDs and I have a dimmer, maybe its the crappy dimmer i installed....

3 weeks later
    #40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You need special dimmers for LED bulbs.

The dimmer I have is for CFLs or LEDs, there is a mode switch on it you have to toggle. I checked it this past weekend as I also noticed the flippers make the CRT monitor on my TMNT and Pac-man cabinets bounce slightly.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I should also mention, your LED's have to be dimmable along with the dimmer being for LED's.

Yea i made sure of that lol. The lights were a little annoying, but im more concerned about the CRTs in my Pac-man and TMNT slighting bouncing when i press a flipper button

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sk8ersublime.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/house-lights-flicker-dim-when-flippers-are-pressed?tu=sk8ersublime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.