(Topic ID: 262576)

House Lights Flicker/Dim when Flippers are Pressed

By CDogster

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-02-26 20.27.02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayDee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CDogster:

the sticker on the panel door lists 150 amps. Is that too low? If I add up all of the individual circuit breakers the number is well over 150 amps so maybe I need a bigger line to the house and maybe I need a new circuit breaker?

No. Because each circuit isn’t being loaded to the max rating it’s protected for and all circuits are not being loaded to their max simultaneously. Also, a lot of electronics will draw more amps on initial power up and then settle down to lower levels. So a 15amp circuit (common size for receptacles and lighting) will usually only be using a portion of what it’s rated for unless the house wasn’t split up circuit wise correctly OR there is just way way too much on that circuit. Also, correct wire gauge that corresponds with the amp rating is very important. 15a circuits require 14g wire. 20a needs 12g and so on. That being said, people will replace a 15a circuit breaker to a 20a because they blow it all the time, not realizing that the wire can’t handle the excess power that it’s allowing to flow before blowing the breaker. This could cause dimming issues like you’re stating. It can also cause wire to overheat and cause a fire. I’m not saying any of this is your problem. But I am saying that your electrical service coming into house is just fine.

#22 4 years ago

I just noticed you have a lot of those cheater breakers. Those suck unless absolutely needed. I would upgrade your panel to a larger one with more spaces. You don’t necessarily have to up the service coming into the house but I would get rid of those twin breakers. Just my two cents.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Just to verify if he upgrades the panel
    Box with more spots it would be a 200amp which would require an upgrade to the service coming into the house I believe.

Not always. Usually if it’s over 30 spaces, then it’s a 200amp panel. His panel has 24 spaces which is usually a 100a service so I’m not sure if he actually has a 150a service panel. Bottom line, he needs an electrician over there to make sure everything is safe before it’s too late. He looks to be overloaded with all those cheater breakers.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Before you spend any money on an electrician, contact your electric utility. Explain that you are experiencing power quality problems, bright and dim lights, etc. and that you would like the utility to perform an investigation and monitor the incoming power. Most states require that utilities respond within in a week or so and perform an investigation free of charge. Most states require the utility to maintain residential voltages within +/-5% of 120 volts (114-126 volts); ask the utility to provide you with a graph of the recording to show that the incoming voltages are within tolerance. There could be a number of utility-related problems that could be causing your issues, such as an undersized transformer, bad neutral connection, undersized service wires, too long of service length, etc.
    Once any utility-caused issues are ruled out, pursue contacting a licensed electrician.

This is a very good point as well. I’ve seen problems with power loss at the meter socket on the outside of the house before. This is where the power meets the panel. Over time the spade receivers that the meter socket snaps into can stretch open and lose a solid connection causing micro arcs, in turn not supplying full power to the panel. I know this from personal experience on a past house. I kept having phantom power issues at random times. I always thought it was the panel or bad breakers. Turns out it was a bad meter socket.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JayDee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/house-lights-flicker-dim-when-flippers-are-pressed?tu=JayDee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.