(Topic ID: 262576)

House Lights Flicker/Dim when Flippers are Pressed

By CDogster

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-02-26 20.27.02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CDogster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My house lights dim slightly whenever I press a flipper button on my pinball machine. I've tried running a super long extension cord to other outlets in the house to rule out the circuit that the pinball machine is on but it seems all other circuits are also affecting the over head lights in the room my pinball machine is in. I think the electricity draw is too much for my circuit breaker.

How can I fix this?

Do I need ConEd to install a higher power line to my house? What would I ask for from them or from an electrician?

Is there some battery backup or capacitor that I could purchase and place under the pinball machine to account for this electricity load?

#19 4 years ago

My house will also dim when things like my audio amplifier are turned on, just like kevmad experiences. It's not just limited to the pinball machine but is much more noticeable because of the constant flipper usage.

The house was built in 1958. Not old but not new.

On my circuit breaker, the sticker on the panel door lists 150 amps. Is that too low? If I add up all of the individual circuit breakers the number is well over 150 amps so maybe I need a bigger line to the house and maybe I need a new circuit breaker?

I only used a super long extension cord to test playing the pinball machine from a different circuit thinking the circuit that my pinball machine is on is overloaded. Thank you all for your thoughts and time.

2020-02-26 20.27.02 (resized).jpg2020-02-26 20.27.02 (resized).jpg
    #28 4 years ago

Thank you all. It seems like my next step is to contact ConEd, followed by an electrician.

Does anyone here run their pinball machine with an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) underneath? If things get expensive, this may be an affordable way to go.

2 weeks later
    #32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Any updates on your dimming lights issue?

Not yet, no progress.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CDogster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/house-lights-flicker-dim-when-flippers-are-pressed?tu=CDogster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.