• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi friends,

What is the hourly rate that people charge for pinball repair? I saw a thread a year ago, but not a lot of feedback on it.
I am looking for repair in the Seattle area but I assume that rates are about the same all over. Oh this is for a Family Guy in case the era of game matters.

#2 5 years ago

In my area a tech charges 75 dollars. This is a brick and mortar with over head to pay.

#3 5 years ago

Cool thanks, I assume people that drive out to repair are about same with a trip charge as well.

#4 5 years ago

When I got my first game, I paid $250 for a two-hour service call to fix a few things. That was $90/hour plus mileage and parts. After that, I swore "never again!"

#5 5 years ago

Yea that seems a little steep,I was ok doing most stuff myself but damn health issues make hiring someone else to do it make more sense.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

Cool thanks, I assume people that drive out to repair are about same with a trip charge as well.

He does house calls, and does not charge extra unless way out of the area. Most owners do not want to bring big equipment in like a jukebox or pinball machine, so I would say a major percentage of his work is on site.

I mentioned his over head to show why he might be on the little high side.

#7 5 years ago

Yea $75/hr seems reasonable, thanks Jim

#8 5 years ago

I charge $45 an hour here, initial visit is automatically an hour even if it only takes 15 minutes. Should probably up my rates, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable.

#9 5 years ago

I called out local guy for a a board repair. $80/hr then I found out he was just removing the board and sending it off for repairs. He was charging me $80 to remove a board. We had words, I payed him and I have been doing local house calls for $20/hr since. I am not the most knowledgeable, but I will eventually get it playing right for cheap.

#10 5 years ago

I charged an even $50 an hour plus parts. Stopped doing it after I got stiffed by someone.

#11 5 years ago

Area by area by area. No way to say from place to place; my city doesn't really have anyone for example.

#12 5 years ago

In the Los Angeles area, a few techs I have used all charged $80 per hour plus parts.

#13 5 years ago

I usually charge $50 an hour, but I think I'm done making house calls. I don't do for a living obviously, just love of the hobby, but I am always missing the one tool I need or need to order something extra, etc. From now on, I'm just going to say if someone wants it fixed, bring to me, leave it for two weeks, come back and everything will be 100%. That way I've got all my stuff I need, if I need to order something no extra driving, can work on it when convenient and in comfort of my own home without someone standing over me the whole time.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I usually charge $50 an hour, but I think I'm done making house calls. I don't do for a living obviously, just love of the hobby, but I am always missing the one tool I need or need to order something extra, etc. From now on, I'm just going to say if someone wants it fixed, bring to me, leave it for two weeks, come back and everything will be 100%. That way I've got all my stuff I need, if I need to order something no extra driving, can work on it when convenient and in comfort of my own home without someone standing over me the whole time.

Then if they want to stiff you then you can just keep the game!

#15 5 years ago

My tech 75.00 hr. But I can get him down if I pay cash and I have a long work relationship with him.

#16 5 years ago

From now on, I'm just going to say if someone wants it fixed, bring to me, leave it for two weeks, come back and everything will be 100%. That way I've got all my stuff I need, if I need to order something no extra driving, can work on it when convenient and in comfort of my own home without someone standing over me the whole time.

That's the best way for sure and it would probably work for about half of my customers. I have such a hard time with scheduling that if I have to make return trips a repair could easily take a month or more.

#17 5 years ago

Whatever your tech charges it's worth it. It will cost you more if your unsure. Your risking doing more damage.

#18 5 years ago

As an addendum to my previous post, I think this format will work better too because, I don't know about you guys but most of my repair calls aren't typical. I'd love and do love on the rare occasion it happens to come in on a repair and it be "this flipper is broken", or "that slingshot isn't working". 95% of the time it's "this game has sat neglected forever and has so many issues it's amazing we didn't call you 5 years ago -- can you fix it?" or "I bought this game from my buddy, it sat in his basement for 15 years I want it to get playable for my kids. I don't think it's much, afterall a few of the lights came on when we turned it on." or my favorite "Of all things on this pinball machine to not be working it's the one mechanism or part that was special and specific to this machine that no other game in pinball has"

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I called out local guy for a a board repair. $80/hr then I found out he was just removing the board and sending it off for repairs. He was charging me $80 to remove a board. We had words, I payed him and I have been doing local house calls for $20/hr since. I am not the most knowledgeable, but I will eventually get it playing right for cheap.

If you need quasi-local PCB repair, I can do a lot of repairs in Columbus. Feel free to PM me, should you need anything.

#20 5 years ago

I just paid $90 an hour for on site repair here in New York less than two weeks ago. At least now I know nothing is wrong with my playfield wiring job. Like so many others already stated, if you know its the board there are people on this site or even Ebay that will let you mail them the boards, and they will diagnose and repair for a lot closer to the $50 an hour range.

#21 5 years ago

As an addendum to my previous post, I think this format will work better too because, I don't know about you guys but most of my repair calls aren't typical. I'd love and do love on the rare occasion it happens to come in on a repair and it be "this flipper is broken", or "that slingshot isn't working". 95% of the time it's "this game has sat neglected forever and has so many issues it's amazing we didn't call you 5 years ago -- can you fix it?" or "I bought this game from my buddy, it sat in his basement for 15 years I want it to get playable for my kids. I don't think it's much, afterall a few of the lights came on when we turned it on." or my favorite "Of all things on this pinball machine to not be working it's the one mechanism or part that was special and specific to this machine that no other game in pinball has"

Probably just a fuse..... Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Probably an easy fix...... Then fix it yourself moron!!!!

Worked fine until just recently..... Yea since you screwed it up trying to "ham-handed" fix it with a pair of aluminum boxing gloves on!

I charge $75 for first visit first hour. Then $50 an hour door to door. If they leave the coin door locked I go easier next time it breaks. I get paid in advance usually the $75. Otherwise if I fix it in 10 minutes the want it do e for $20. I'm a bit callous as I've been hosed a couple times and some people will live in a $500,000 home and cry about a $100 repair bill for something they have no clue how to repair. Like an auto mechanic, yea they are expensive but they have the knowledge I may not. If they feel I charge to much, don't call me back. I don't do it for the love of the hobby, that's why I have my own games to fix. If I come fix your game I'm gonna do it for the cash.

Chris Kruger

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

If you need quasi-local PCB repair, I can do a lot of repairs in Columbus. Feel free to PM me, should you need anything.

Will do for sure, you have been extremely helpful to me in my last few posts and I thank you for that.

#23 5 years ago

This one never gets old:

DELIVERY/REPAIR/SERVICE CALL RATES
As of September 25th, 2010
Delivery is $75.00 On Pinball Machines Plus Mileage
(If the Pinball machine cannot fit up or down or through a
doorway and the head has to be removed, An additional fee
of 75.00 will be charged)

Large Game Purchases (I.E. Skee-Ball, Puck Bowler, Bowling Alley or large Video game) that have to be put on a trailer will require $150.00 deivery Charges. Plus Mileage.

Delivery and Setup entitles you the buyer to one (1) Free Service call parts and Labor up to 90 Days. You will be required to pay mileage.

Repair Base Rate:
$78 per hour on our own games.
$98 per hour on games bought elsewhere.
Clock starts when job begins. On long distant service calls, the clock begins after 30 miles into the trip. One hour minimum.Ohio Sales tax is added to all jobs.

Mileage:
$1.00 per mile.
Round trip from shop in Maumee.(Mileage is Non Taxable.)

Premium Rates:
Time and a Half charged for evenings and weekends.
$117 per hour on our own games.
$147 per hour on games bought elsewhere.

If the game is not repaired within the first hour, an evaluation will be made to determine how much additional time and parts will be needed to finish the repair. (Assuming the machine is worth repairing.)

If a game cannot be repaired, the one hour minimum still applies. If for any reason the item serviced is not picked up and paid for, We reserve the right to sell the item after 90 days without notice. We will make three attempts to collect if we are unable to collect on the item, We will sell it to recoup our loss.

WARRANTY
Service: If, within 30 days, a similar problem to the original symptom occurs, the customer is entitled to one service call only up to the length of the original service call.
Customer still has to pay mileage and any additional parts needed. If it is a new and different problem, it will be considered a new service call.

Warranty does not include lights.

Sales: If the buyer of a game chooses to buy the Delivery & Set-Up for $75, the owner is entitled to have one service call within 90 days, parts are covered the mileage is not included.

Our Services are warranted for 90 days on a purchase
60 days on a repair.

Do to the nature of our business moving large heavy arcade games in and out of houses sometimes causes minor dents and bruises in the woodwork, walls, some tile floors, and on doors.
Although we take great precautions not to damage the surroundings, We cannot and will not be held liable for minor damages.

There is NO WARRANTY if the buyer takes the game on their own.

Refund Policy
Once you have made the decision that owning your own pinball game is a neat idea.
We want you to be pleased with your choice of game. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with your game, within 30 days,
We will give you 100% credit towards the purchase of any other game We have for sale.
(This is assuming we delivered the game. There is no warranty, or in this case, refund policy, if the customer takes the game home him or her self.)

There will be an additional charge for Delivery and set-up. If we have to trailor your item Delivery will be $150.00 plus mileage
If we use our Vans only the cost is only $75.00 plus mileage
We do charge $1.00 each mile each direction.

There are NO CASH REFUNDS given for any reason!

Trade-in Policy

Years after you've enjoyed your game, you feel you want to trade up for a fancier game, We will give you 50% trade in credit towards the purchase of another game.
(Assuming the game is in reasonalbly good shape and no radical changes have occurred, including the painting of the cabinet or rearranging of the playfield features [We have seen it happen] or anything that would reduce the value of the game.)

This is on the purchase price of the game only. Does not include the sales tax paid or the Delivery & Set-up that was charged.

Consignment Policy

Consignments are always welcomed.
If you bought the game from us, you get 75% of what We sell a game for less any service it might need. (Which can be subtracted from the money you would get when the game is sold, in other words,there is no upfront repair money required from you when we take the game.) If you didn't buy the game from us, we will still take it on consignment, but you get 60% of what we sell it for, less any service it might need.

If the game should require additional service while the game is on the show room floor or warehouse, you will be contacted and required to pay for the services. An estimate can be made.

All consignments are handled in a contract form so all the this is spelled out and signaures are required so both customer and our store meet those requirements.

Games left at the store are covered by our insurance if disaster occurs.

#24 5 years ago

I think I should be paying myself more.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, I found a guy to do about 2-3 hours of work for a flat fee of $150.00 I have all the parts on hand. Hope he is good so I can use him in the future. He comes by next Tuesday, I will see how long it takes him.

#26 5 years ago

Before I bought my machines and knew anything about fixing them, I called a guy and he said he charges $80 an hour. Thank God for all the great people on Pinside who help me out when I need some help. If I charged myself by the hour for repairs, I'd be into me for about $25K.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Before I bought my machines and knew anything about fixing them, I called a guy and he said he charges $80 an hour. Thank God for all the great people on Pinside who help me out when I need some help. If I charged myself by the hour for repairs, I'd be into me for about $25K.

You aren't kidding.

#28 5 years ago

Fixing them is the most fun.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

Thanks for all the responses, I found a guy to do about 2-3 hours of work for a flat fee of $150.00

I think this is the best idea. He will fix in a few minutes and make good money or be there all day, either way you know the cost.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlizard:

Fixing them is the most fun.

True too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 189.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside