Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by hollywood
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

51FF3625-477E-4E8E-879D-501009613C69 (resized).png

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 37 days ago

I own one, and I love it - but it definitely needs to be precisely set up. I've played it on location 5 times (at 5 different places, I mean). The *only* time it was set up correctly was when I played it with Joe Balcer and Josh Kugler. Every other time I've played it on location, it was set up crazy - super floaty, WAY old code, and kinda - well, boring. Set up properly at 6.2 degrees or so, and with more powerful flippers, it is really fun. But it takes a lot of tinkering to get it right, and that will never happen on location. I absolutely get why the comments are so disparate - most people who played it on location thought it sucked, and most people who have it at home love it. It wasn't really ready out of the box, unfortunately. Totally makes sense. I see a lot of people thinking about selling Maiden for the same reason. Mine is not leaving for a long long time, but whoever eventually buys it will get an outstanding machine.

#52 37 days ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Sorry to take this thread on a slight tangent, but I am considering purchasing an Oktoberfest at Allentown or sooner, and I wonder what Houdini owners think about the quality of heir machines?
Thanks,
Alan

Outstanding

#53 37 days ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Sorry to take this thread on a slight tangent, but I am considering purchasing an Oktoberfest at Allentown or sooner, and I wonder what Houdini owners think about the quality of heir machines?
Thanks,
Alan

I’ve never owned a JJP machine, but I have owned others. Houdini is incredible with build quality, PF quality, and powder coating. I don’t beat on my machines, but this one seems that it would take a beating like a champ! Lol

#54 37 days ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I’ve never owned a JJP machine, but I have owned others. Houdini is incredible with build quality, PF quality, and powder coating. I don’t beat on my machines, but this one seems that it would take a beating like a champ! Lol

IMO JJP games are *slightly* better build, they have had more time to get it really precise. Both are miles *miles* beyond current Stern build quality. I have a Stern IMDN next to a JJP Dialed In, and IMDN is like a toy next to the battle tank that is DI. Houdini is more like the tank

#55 37 days ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Local op who runs an hourly rate place with 60+ pins has one. When new games come in they are set to coin drop.
Direct quote from him: "Nobody played it when it was on coin drop and it's still barely getting any plays now that it's in free play."
It's currently for sale.

Interesting. The one at our location earns steady. People dig it.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

But it takes a lot of tinkering to get it right, and that will never happen on location.

Wasn't an issue for us. Played well right out of the box.

Why is it people tend to conclude based on a sample size of 1 that it must be the same everywhere? Audiences vary at each location. Pins will fare differently at each location. An operator north of me said Aerosmith was a turd for him. At out location is was quite popular and earnings were above average.

#56 37 days ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Why is it people tend to conclude based on a sample size of 1 that it must be the same everywhere? Audiences vary at each location. Pins will fare differently at each location. An operator north of me said Aerosmith was a turd for him. At out location is was quite popular and earnings were above average.

There are other factors that may contribute to this as well, particularly for a game that is pretty hard like Houdini. If they were originally charging $1 a game and didn't have any ball saves on or extended, outlanes opened up, etc. people may hate the game and never give it another chance.

#57 37 days ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I wonder what Houdini owners think about the quality of heir machines?

Read post #39 above.

I looked over Octoberfest at Expo, inside and out. Looked very well built.
LTG : )

#58 37 days ago

I’ve loved my Houdini since buying it. I’m not a great player, by any means, but I’ve gotten much better at it, and the goals are tough but achievable. Since they’re tough, it makes you feel that much more accomplished when you make the series of shots required. I was worried how it’d be received by my family and friends who have even less skill than I do, but it’s the go-to game for most of them because they can get some multiballs easy enough, and see some different features (reverse flippers, etc).
I won’t be moving my game anytime soon...and luckily I have enough room to add on to my collection without having to put anything on the chopping block.

#59 36 days ago

Great Light show, it seems that you either have a great game or a brickfest on it. My wife loved it but I hated how stop and go it was with all the animations and explaining it does.

Probably better in a bigger collection.

$5100 is almost a no brainer if you have space..

#60 36 days ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

what's the build date on the location game? Maybe they sorted things out on later games - all of the ones I've played were in the first 20 made

#61 36 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what's the build date on the location game? Maybe they sorted things out on later games - all of the ones I've played were in the first 20 made

Oh. Not sure, but not in the first 20.

#62 36 days ago

I don't enjoy playing the game, so there ya go. And more than that, it is an opportunity cost. Say I tie up 5k in Houdini, then maybe I'm not owning MET because I couldn't move on it quickly? Ouch.

#63 36 days ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Local op who runs an hourly rate place with 60+ pins has one. When new games come in they are set to coin drop.
Direct quote from him: "Nobody played it when it was on coin drop and it's still barely getting any plays now that it's in free play."
It's currently for sale.

yup, that's pretty much why I didn't buy one. Think I saw 4 or 5 for sale ads for the game in the first couple of months from operators. It's to bad, cause I really liked the game.

#64 36 days ago

I own an arcade and heard / thought this game would not do well on location. However, I approached the difficulty as a good thing that would make me a better player, so I purchased one for home. Once you get set up right and get shots Dialed In, it is quite fun.

I loved the fact that the American Pinball actually came to the Denver show, were approachable, and are active / responsive on pinside. I could have saved a few bucks purchasing used, but happy to support a new company. I think the game is good value for money. Many new Stern and JJP tend to lead towards longer ball times and multiple multiballs, but that gets old in a home environment.

#65 36 days ago

It's a gorgeous looking game that's horrible to play. Like foreplay with sandpaper. Just say no.

#66 36 days ago

Had a couple of newbies over last night and they loved Houdini

#67 36 days ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Like foreplay with sandpaper.

Today I have heard a new crackup saying I never heard before. Day made.

#68 36 days ago

I love my Houdini. It is one of those games that kicks your ass for a couple games and then you have a 20 minute frenzy game.

The first couple releases of the software were too brutal with very few ball saves and the mode timers were set super short and that was frustrating. The rules are fabulous now. For a freshman effort, API knocked it out of the park.

That $5,100 was a stupid price. Obviously the seller was looking for a guaranteed fast sale. He left money on the table. I think there is just so many pins coming out that’s it tempting to sell to generate cash for the next shiny, new machine.

#69 36 days ago

I have had great games and some of the flat out worst games ever on Houdini. The game can have such rewarding shots and combos but if your timing is off even the slightest it punishes you with no mercy.

$5100 is a bargain.

#70 36 days ago

Honestly....this game is STELLAR once dialed in. Please come play to see for yourself!!! I wil even include Shasta!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside