• Houdini 36 votes
    32%
  • WOZ 77 votes
    68%

(113 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.50.41 am (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

... and Woz is a beautiful looking machine.

And Houdini isn't? C'mon - WOZ Is pretty, but Houdini is MUCH cooler looking overall!

Houdini. Next challenger.

#11 5 years ago

I wouldn't go that far as, again, WOZ is pretty. Glad you agree though!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’m surprised you don’t like WOZ; it’s a players dream with rules and stacking. So much depth and breadth that add up to a lot of excitement and Adrenalin. And despite the theme; the integration of the theme and call outs are very well done.
Houdini, on the other hand, nothing exciting or fun about it. But yea, it does look pretty.

First off SKB, I do like WOZ. It's a wonderful game and in an ideal world I would have one in my collection. The truth is most of these game vs. game comparisons are just silly when it comes down to it as, in this case, both games are usually great. The impetus for me in this thread is to fight for the underdog. I absolutely HATE it when a game is unfairly underrated on Pinside due to critics' limited familiarity with it, as more often than not, seems to be the case with Houdini haters currently.

Secondly, I'm truly disappointed to hear that you, of all Pinsiders, feel that Houdini has "nothing exciting or fun about it". Ouch! I really don't know how someone of your skill level can possibly say that if you are truly familiar with its deep ruleset and the many gameplay options that it consequently offers. If challenging shots = "unfun", then I guess Houdini is guilty. However, in a home gameroom environment, I have honestly found it to not only be fun as well as beautiful, but creatively unique in many respects, historically interesting, and addictive to play! The bottom line for any game is whether you want to hit the start button again - and in this respect Houdini has not failed to disappoint me.

If you haven't already, check out this fine gameplay stream by Buffalo Pinball:

Unfortunately, based on Buffalo Pinball's just released subsequent review of Houdini, I am confident that if Nick Lane had been able to participate in this stream or play a Houdini in a similar home gameroom environment, his opinion of its gameplay would definitely be more positive. Houdini is not an ideal location game due to its admittedly quirky presentation style as well as its difficulty. Rather, it's best suited for pinheads who appreciate a game that will seriously test their abilities as well as entertain them in an unconventional manner.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

Wizard of Oz. One of the most gorgeous pinballs ever made and game play to stand with the very best. As to the theme, I count it in poll position and here's why ...

Well stated and there's no denying that The Wizard of Oz theme holds a special place within American arts and culture. Does the game really need to play "We're off to see the Wizard" so damn often though?

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying and I hear you bro. I feel I'm actually in the minority on what I like and dislike about Houdini ...

Although I don't totally agree with your overall assessment, I appreciate your insights man. I too really like fast flowing, brutal, in-your-face games like Iron Man, TNA, and AC/DC, but yet ... I really enjoy Houdini's stop & go gameplay too. Between its well integrated magic theme, demanding shots, deep code, wealth of unique playfield features, rich artwork package (including the fabulous art blades), dramatic musical selections, and historical charm, it is a fun game to be savored - not rushed through. Kind of like sipping a fine bourbon as opposed to throwing back a shot. It's definitely not for everyone, but to each his own. I sincerely find it to be a treasure to own and play. Hopefully more pinheads will too as they become more familiar with the many positives that Houdini has to offer.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

... but it doesn't come close to Woz in overall presentation.

I respectfully, but wholeheartedly disagree with this assertion. Both games present well overall.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I never said Houdini doesnt, but Woz is the complete package and a industry leader/starter for new technology. Houdini is great, Ill be getting one but the advancements WoZ made are a non argument.

You said that Houdini "doesn't come close to WOZ in overall presentation". I disagree as I think they are both great in terms of presentation and this is all I'm disputing. The degree of technological advances in either game is irrelevant to my point.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

WoZ wins by a country mile, way better pin play wise and aesthetically.

Yep - we definitely disagree.

I'll say this though - I enjoyed playing WOZ on route and seriously considered buying one in the past before subsequent games grabbed my attention (and money). Now this thread and you guys have me looking at WOZ again!

Dammit.

#52 5 years ago

I'm a sucker for beautiful games. WOZ looks great and The Hobbit looks fantastic in my book! Just wish the gameplay on TH grabbed me as much. Perhaps the new code upgrade will change that.

In the meantime, Houdini's looks and gameplay are both really appealing for me. And now I'm somewhat jonesing to play WOZ again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-woz?tu=tuna_delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.