• Houdini 36 votes
    32%
  • WOZ 77 votes
    68%

(113 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.50.41 am (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I wouldn't go that far as, again, WOZ is pretty. Glad you agree though!

I’m surprised you don’t like WOZ; it’s a players dream with rules and stacking. So much depth and breadth that add up to a lot of excitement and Adrenalin. And despite the theme; the integration of the theme and call outs are very well done.

Houdini, on the other hand, nothing exciting or fun about it. But yea, it does look pretty.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Theme integration sure, but adrenaline?
More of a stroll down that yellow brick road.

You musta been playing a 6.5deg low flipper power WOZ. Adrenaline might not be the right word, but stacking multiball after multiball with so many unique rules to each; then a little fireball frenzy or battle the wicked witch; the rush factor makes for some great pinball. Granted, I had my WOZ at 7deg with strong flipper power. Shots felt good, brutality was in line, and the craziness was top notch. Great wizard call outs mixed in with some fantastic supporting call outs. It's really a fantastic machine. The game does have great variety of speed from stop n go to fast and hectic. Then there's no place like home; not a big fan favorite nor was I, until I got my success rate up to 30%, knowing you have a chance to fight to get your ball back is fantastic. Prior to an attainable success rate, I thought it was a worthless mode, but that just adds to the depth the game offers.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

First off SKB, I do like WOZ. It's a wonderful game and in an ideal world I would have one in my collection. The truth is most of these game vs. game comparisons are just silly when it comes down to it as, in this case, both games are usually great. The impetus for me in this thread is to fight for the underdog. I absolutely HATE it when a game is unfairly underrated on Pinside due to critics' limited familiarity with it, as more often than not, seems to be the case with Houdini haters currently.
Secondly, I'm truly disappointed to hear that you, of all Pinsiders, feel that Houdini has "nothing exciting or fun about it". Ouch! I really don't know how someone of your skill level can possibly say that if you are truly familiar with its deep ruleset and the many gameplay options that it consequently offers. If challenging shots = "unfun", then I guess Houdini is guilty. However, in a home gameroom environment, I have honestly found it to not only be fun as well as beautiful, but creatively unique in many respects, historically interesting, and addictive to play! The bottom line for any game is whether you want to hit the start button again - and in this respect Houdini has not failed to disappoint me.
If you haven't already, check out this fine gameplay stream by Buffalo Pinball:

Unfortunately, based on Buffalo Pinball's just released subsequent review of Houdini, I am confident that if Nick Lane had been able to participate in this stream or play a Houdini in a similar home gameroom environment, his opinion of its gameplay would definitely be more positive. Houdini is not an ideal location game due to its admittedly quirky presentation style as well as its difficulty. Rather, it's best suited for pinheads who appreciate a game that will seriously test their abilities as well as entertain them in an unconventional manner.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying and I hear you bro. I feel I'm actually in the minority on what I like and dislike about Houdini; and I haven't played the latest code. Haven't had the chance, or desire even, to play it in months. So like all new pins, there's hope that my feelings for the pin might change; it has for games like SW and even WOZ. That said, I happen to like the shots and layout a lot. I found the lock shot and orbits very satisfying to shoot. The milk can shot and half loop to hit stage are clever. For the limited time I had on it, I found that I did like the rules. I enjoyed the staging combo hurry ups to be fun; in fact that combo mode was the only thing I found fun about the game. My problem with the pin is the ear wrenching sound package. Combo mode aside; the game is too stop n go for my liking, the multiball action is very lackluster for the layout, and there was nothing exciting or inviting that wanted me to keep playing. I am very much with Nick on my thoughts of how much I had to force myself to play the game rather than wanting to play. It just did not have that pinball rush draw to it and aside from the hurry up combo mode, a lot has to do with the lack of intensity in the sound, choreography, and fluency of the game. You could even tell in Kevin's voice there's a hint of hesitation in his review, like something is missing about the game. I like games that are fast, brutal, challenging, and intense. Aside from challenging, I didn't find any of those other attributes that keeps bringing me back to play again and again. All in all it's not a bad pin, and the overall package is presented very well; it's just a game I have no desire to own or go out of my way to play, Different strokes....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 24.50
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-woz?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.