Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinstein
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Recently back from expo and am thinking about my next pin. For a long time I’ve wondered about AFM Re and Monster Bash Re, but I found I really enjoyed Houdini a lot at the show...perhaps being better with my shots compared to a year ago. Now I’m wondering what I should pick.

What are people’s thoughts on the above? I would imagine getting Monster Bash NIB will be easier over the next 1-2 years than Houdini, so I think that plays into a decision to an extent.

#2 4 years ago

Houdini is really starting to peak my interest. I would go 2nd hand huo, get some great deals on it....well you could.....havent checked lately

#3 4 years ago

I have Houdini and MBr SE. I would keep Houdini over MB. MB is fun but can be like chopping wood. Houdini is very challenging and can be fun once you learn shots. I like everything about Houdini except the milk can shot. There are a few used Houdini for sale now.

AFM seemed too simple for my taste.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have Houdini and MBr SE. I would keep Houdini over MB. MB is fun but can be like chopping wood. Houdini is very challenging and can be fun once you learn shots. I like everything about Houdini except the milk can shot. There are a few used Houdini for sale now.
AFM seemed too simple for my taste.

I have both as well, and I agree. I play both of those games almost daily, but Houdini has WAY more going for it long term.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

#6 4 years ago

It’s all personal preference, but Houdini seems to be gaining a lot of momentum. I’m not big on MB. AFM is fun, but I do think it gets a little old. Go for something a little outside of the box and grab a Houdini. There’s some out there for decent prices.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:I have both as well, and I agree. I play both of those games almost daily, but Houdini has WAY more going for it long term.

Ditto on both previous posts. MB is a great machine and new players can have a lot of fun after just a few games. Houdini is more challenging with a lot of unique (and difficult) shots. I also like his harrassing call outs on missed skill shots and ball saves.

With some patience you can find nice used examples, but that varies greatly on your location.

Good luck, but you can't really lose on this one!

#8 4 years ago

We have both Houdini and AFMr. Houdini has been in the house maybe 1.3 yrs. AFMr, just a few months. Despite AMFr being ranked #2 (and for good reasons), wife's favorite pin is still Houdini.

Both are fun to shoot in their own right. But that's really where the comparison ends. No doubt, Houdini has a lot more going on and more challenging shots. AFMr is a faster paced game - lot's of easy targets to hit. Who doesn't like nailing the saucer over and over. Houdini, you need to really think about what you need to shoot and when. But that is where it shines if your in the mood for that style. And at times it's just as fast and furious as AFMr.

But to pick one over the other is really hard - they just play so different. To the point I wanted them both. Some days I'm in a mood for an easy game and Houdini just sits there. Other days I want more of a challenge and Houdini gets the play time while AFMr is ignored.

I'd mostly ignore all the 'bricked' shots Houdini comments. You'll learn the shots. In easy mode it is very forgiving - lots of second/3rd chances. But on route, I wouldn't think Houdini would fair very well since there is a learning curve. AFMr is a no brainer for just pressing the start button aiming for the saucer.

#9 4 years ago

I only have 2 pins and they are Houdini and MBr SE. Love them both. Polar opposite games! Which is why I have them. Do I feel like a deep dive into the cerebral Houdini or a fast flowy, mindless monster romp? I doubt I'll ever sell Houdini as its there is so much I've yet to master.

Houdini is not as hard as its reputation. The dreaded trunk shot is not that hard as its on the sweet spot of the flipper. The milk can shot is really hard though but that's what makes it fun.

#10 4 years ago

Houdini. Cool vibe (if you're into it) and much more code depth and variety of gameplay.

MB is great looking, but would get old for me a LOT faster in a small collection.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Houdini. Cool vibe (if you're into it) and much more code depth and variety of gameplay.
MB is great looking, but would get old for me a LOT faster in a small collection.

MB is too easy. If it wasn't my wifes favorite game, it'd be gone already. Meanwhile AFM is a keeper and Houdini is on my shortlist. Oktoberfest is another fantastic option from American.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

... Oktoberfest is another fantastic option from American.

Word.

Oktoberfest is on my shortlist.

#13 4 years ago

houdini is pretty gross. you should add a poll.

#14 4 years ago

I prefer MB but if you enjoyed playing Houdini I would give that game a shot.

#15 4 years ago

Houdini is a fun game, but its not even close....MBR by a country mile

#16 4 years ago

If you decide to go with Houdini I have one for sale with the "upgrades" installed.

Machine - For Sale
HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) - “Since my place in CA limits me in the number of machines I can have I am lookin g to trade/sell my Houdini game in order to get something different. Game is in great condition and ...”
2019-10-18
Santa Barbara, CA
Archived after: 72 days
Viewed: 1134 times

#17 4 years ago

Ive owned both. MBRLE is bolted as its just classic pinball. I very much enjoyed my Houdini and would probably still have it if it had a second ramp instead of the trunk throw. Its a stunningly gorgeous game though and incredibly deep. My 8 year old daughter loved it but after replacing it with a new JPLE she's moved on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-vs-monster-bash-re-se-or-le?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.